Northrop Grumman Employee Reviews

Found 2,117 reviews matching the search
Standstill, lazy culture
Business Process Requirements Analyst (Current Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDSeptember 4, 2016
Bad place to work. Management is either hit or miss and when it's miss, it's bad. Management is extremely unprofessional: late, minimal communication and passive aggressive. Due to contract with Social Security Administration, culture is slow and ineffective. The work that you do is mostly busy work and hardly ever related to your current or desired workskills. Most folks in this location use it as a place to take classes and bide time before moving on. Pay is average.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Terrible immediate management, no advancement opportunities, no skills/career development
Furlough
Geospatial Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 14, 2016
I was hired on directly out of college. I was excited for the opportunity to work for a company with such a great reputation. While going through the hiring process never once was I led to believe that possibly I would be out of a job within 8months. So I moved all the way to st louis and started working. There were many red flags that I started to notice. Eventually there was talking of a furlough . I was scared, I moved all the way here to have the company tell me I'm out of a job until "I don't know when". Thankfully I was smart enough to get a new job , and what do you know, my old work friends have been out of a job for over a month now, with no idea if/ when work will start again.

Do not hire recent graduates for positions when you can't even guarantee that there is work. That is the epitome of horrible management.

Good vacation/ benefits.
Great work life balance, not great with $
Spares Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILOctober 19, 2016
Northrop Grumman is a great place to work for work life balance. When they bring in an employee from the outside of the company, they are willing to over pay that employee for a specific position. When an internal employee tries moving up in the company, that's where the issues come in. There is a lot of red tape with trying to move with in the company, you will only see 2-10% increase moving up (5%) is typical. They are taking away benefits like 100% paid tuition, awards programs and rewards programs. NGC is trying to keep costs low, by keeping labor and overhead low at the cost of the employees.
Pros
Work life Balance
Cons
Compensation Increases and benefits
Typical Aerospace Corporation - Zero chance for advance unless PHD
Engineer (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJuly 25, 2016
Worked at NGC for 6 years as a "grunt" design engineer. No opportunity to advance, just keep pushing designs/drawings out the door. Same pay raise (1% to 3% year) as the next guy whether you do more than him/her or not. If you have a PHD you may make it into management and make more $$$, but be prepared to get stepped on. Very poor management. Typical corporation.
Pros
9-5 job, steady paycheck
Cons
Poor pay, poor opportunites to advance your career, poor management
Challenging is Rewarding
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 27, 2016
Really enjoyed my career at NG. NG gave me a lot of opportunities to travel as well as growth opportunities. Mentorships are available and highly advised. The work is challenging but most rewarding when you successfully complete a specific job. Management recognizes hard workers and rewards employees who go the extra mile.
Pros
Education Assist
Cons
Long Hours
Great atmosphere
Procurement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 7, 2016
Working in Facility Procurement can be stressful at times, because the Facility Representative aren't always prepared with the amount of requirements and information I need to efficiently request a proposal from suppliers. Nonetheless, the Facility Representatives are always willing to help me out with providing me the information after the fact so I may pass that along to the various suppliers I am requesting quotes from. My manager is amazing and very down to earth. He interacts with me on a daily basis, as well as my fellow co-workers.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly coworkers
Cons
Career advancement takes a lot of time
Unethical Company
Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 29, 2016
They do not care about people. You will only be a butt in a seat. Management sucks!! They only give 1-3% raises a year, even if you bust your butt off!! If you don't need their insurance, don't expect extra money for that. The only good (which isn't really good) thing about working there is the 401K, which most companies have. They only match up to 3% others, such as Raytheon, Boeing etc is 6%. Run away, don't walk, run....look else where, you'll be glad you did!
Pros
9 80 work weeks
Cons
Low pay, unethical, management
Great company which was a major employer on Long Island
Senior Planner (Former Employee) –  Calverton, NYDecember 4, 2016
This was my first job after high school and I started out as an avionics bench mechanic. The company was great and the advancement opportunities served me well as I eventually became a Senior Planner for Industrial Engineering which put me on a path for more diverse future employment. After 21 years I left the job when Northrop bought the company and moved off of Long Island.
Pros
Very secure company and benefits. Worked with wonderful people for 21 years.
Cons
Company was bought and moved out of state.
Good Company to work for
IT Asset Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Home/Remote Office, Gloucester, VAJuly 25, 2016
Ability to work remotely and good work/life balance practices...SW/HW experience has been invaluable and provided a wealth of knowledge involving IT Asset Management. I most enjoy my work to develop processes/work instruction. The daily risk assessment and analysis has been a huge benefit in my ITAM development.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Advancement Opportunities/Pay increases
Productive Environment
Manufacturing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CA 93550August 22, 2016
Employer provides a multi-tasked productive environment with very little room for advancement. Immediate management is understanding but the company does not offer a satisfying future of higher positions of employment.
Benefits
Cons
Inconsistent workload, no advancement.
Diverse, loving and professional environment
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 11, 2016
I loved working for the company as well as the people.
Definitely room for advancement in the company, and diversity is very well important and acknowledged.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Good environment with exceptional benefits and a very well thought out management process.
Information Technology Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, VASeptember 11, 2016
The working environment at Northrop Grumman was exceptional and the co-workers were very easy to get along with. Time management was of paramount importance and there was a great time keeping system to keep you on track throughout your work day.
Pros
Acceptable break times, good leadership, and great job security awareness.
Cons
Outdated technologies and slow software approval processes.
Excellent management, working towards becoming one company
Corporate Offset Lead (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VANovember 15, 2016
NGC has made a lot of progress under current leadership. Definitely heading in the right direction as far as sales and technology go. Very talented top management and overall a good place to work.
Pros
Being surrounded by the best and brightest people in the sector.
Cons
Compensation is below industry standard, lack of results sharing for most employees
Northrop grumman corporation
Repair Administrator (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CANovember 3, 2016
Excellent place to work and learn.
Opportunities are very open for continuing education both at Northrop Grumman and offsite.
Employees can create their future depending on what their goals are.
Excellent benefits.

Work hard and pay attention to all detail and take risks for opportunities.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
The drive to El Segundo, out near the LAX Airport
Great Company - Professional Environment
Accountant II/Trainer/Conversion Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 28, 2016
Worked for this company for over 10 years and although there were layoffs due to the job market, this company has lots of positive benefits. I was recognized and awarded for professional experience, allowed to grow and rewarded for educational background and pursuits and compensated adequately. The company paid rewards for any projects worked on outside of the scope of job description. All companies should follow the overall work environment of this company.
Pros
Professional respect; adequate compensation; hired based on education and professional background
Cons
Towards the end of service, newly hired inexperienced manager caused disruption to established team; caused issues
Fast paced and dynamic place to work in.
Facilities Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 7, 2016
Working at Northrup Grumman means that you have to hit the ground running. Faced paced environment with hardworking employees. Co-workers are dedicated, fun to be around and committed to the company. Hardest part is having to change gears at a moments notice. Management is understanding and fair when it comes to family issues..
Pros
Benefits; family friendly
Cons
Work atmosphere can be stressful at times
Horrible Place to work
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAOctober 31, 2016
Horrible place to work. The company is stuck in the past, there is more bureaucracy here than in Washington, DC. They have leaders and hiring managers that have been there 30+ years and REFUSE to change the ways of the past. Huge turnover issues in AS, poor leadership throughout the division, no one communicates what is going on to the field organization, they are depending on their name to attract people which once you join them you realize what a terrible mistake you made. If you want to work in this industry go to Boeing Harris, Raytheon or Lockheed.
Pros
Decent compensation
Cons
endless bureaucracy, horrible leadership, ZERO communication to their employees, set in their ways, change is NEVER going to be embraced they still think they are in the 1990's .
Problems with Advancement and Recognition for Innovation
SENIOR AEROSPACE SYSTEMS ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 27, 2016
After working at NGC for over 18 months, with 17+ years of professional experience, I feel this company has so much potential, yet does not allow it's employees to succeed.

Challenges from all levels of management prevent significant cost savings to program because the company is stuck in the "It's been done this way before" mindset. All levels of management are afraid to challenge their directors and VPs to find great solutions and reduce the amount of rework required to accomplish quite simple program tasks.

By falling under the guise of "the chain of command" the management does not seek to embellish action for those with create thoughts and process improvement.

I would recommend those seeking work at NGC to consider if slow career growth is their goal. The speed of advancement is quite disrespectful for those engineers who 'think outside-the-box.'

Management would much rather come to a stalemate in a discussion then figure out how things can be made better to save money and streamline processes. Think long and hard if this is the place you would want to work.
Pros
9/80 work schedule, cool defense programs
Cons
lack of progress, lack of recognition, stifled innovation, slow corporate culture
Questionable
Configuration Management Analyst Level 1 (Current Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZNovember 25, 2016
The work is rewarding overall but the Management leaves quite a bit to be desired in some of the departments. Depending on the person and the Manager is whether you can even get advancement. By this I mean, your work doesn't matter, it's the person themselves that counts and not the work.
Better than Most, but Used to be Better
Technical Writer/Editor II (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 27, 2016
Most of the company that I have ever dealt with is full of fantastic employees. However, after 13 years, it has gone down hill. Management isn't as good as it used to be. A lot of micromanaging at play and disruptive to workers. The company has downsized quite a bit since I started and some good talent was lost. This is especially true for the management. Also, the layoffs have caused those remaining workers a lot more work for little to no pay increase.
Pros
Solid company, cares about their employees
Cons
Management isn't as solid, seems to downsize every 6 months or so. Benefits have also taken a turn for worse.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northrop Grumman. Our community is ready to answer.