Northrop Grumman Employee Reviews

Found 2,203 reviews matching the search
Exciting work
Laser Technician (Former Employee) –  Apopka, FLDecember 5, 2016
Was fun to work on cutting edge of technology. Is somewhere I would like to have continued working. Raises were not great but company was having issues with frozen economy. Things may be better now
Stressful and lack of communication from management unbelievable
Scrum Master / Senior SAP Functional Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 27, 2017
I haven't worked at many corporations, but I can tell you that this one is not run professionally at all. People speak rude to each other in meetings and they walk out or make 'scenes'. It's worse than the worse reality shows. I stay there because I need my job and they pay relatively well for the area that I live in. Also, I am a single mother and the flexibility in working hours is a huge plus.
Pros
Flexible schedule, pays relatively well, enjoy coworkers
Cons
Management is awful, no training to keep up skills, no promoting from within
This is very productive work place.
Network Engineer Technician (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CANovember 22, 2016
This is the best company I worked for. Great pay. Great work place. Great benefits. Great training. Great lanes for advancements. Great job projects. Many different work locations to select from.
Great Company - Professional Environment
Accountant II/Trainer/Conversion Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 28, 2016
Worked for this company for over 10 years and although there were layoffs due to the job market, this company has lots of positive benefits. I was recognized and awarded for professional experience, allowed to grow and rewarded for educational background and pursuits and compensated adequately. The company paid rewards for any projects worked on outside of the scope of job description. All companies should follow the overall work environment of this company.
Pros
Professional respect; adequate compensation; hired based on education and professional background
Cons
Towards the end of service, newly hired inexperienced manager caused disruption to established team; caused issues
Overall a good company
Engineering Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDFebruary 3, 2017
Job security is good and opportunities to move around, within the company, in some sectors but the work/life balance isn't that great depending upon your program.
Low Employee Retention
Program Planning and Scheduling Analyst (Current Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CANovember 10, 2016
Management only listens to management. There are benefits in working for a large company. There is an atmosphere that it's easier to get ahead because of who you know and not what you know.
Hands Tied
Security Coordinator/ Document Control (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 16, 2016
Management at the office constantly had hands tied in assisting people under them by their managers. The ability for advancement of job or work environment was not there.
Pros
Most of the people are nice.
Cons
No job advancement
Northrop Grumman Review
Omaha Engineering & Operations Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, NESeptember 11, 2016
Northrop Grumman is an excellent company to work for. They provide challenging opportunities to professional growth and development. The management team is aware of their employees and strive to keep them engaged.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Government contracts limit overhead funding availability
Great working environment , good work and great people to work with...
Computer Graphics designer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 15, 2017
Been employees for 35 years now and the company has been good to me... Have had great opportunities to learn and grow over the years... Work with and been involved in projects n programs with a number of people and all have had an impact on how my skills have developed . Overall it's been a great experience.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Benefits have decreased over the years
A Day At Northrop
Sr. Test Manager (Current Employee) –  Annapolis Junction, MDNovember 9, 2016
I support a very small team of technical writers and testers. We sit together daily and communicate all day discussing work issues. The atmosphere is extremely present. I am not only a supervisor but a key contributor. The hardest part of my job is delivering unpleasant reviews or terminations to staff because of budget cuts. I enjoy the team and the team atmosphere. It is a pleasure to come to work with seasoned professionals who love their job.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor communication skills
Love the company
Shipping Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 6, 2016
I liked working at Northrop thought I would make a career out of it but the druggy management in my dept was horrible, Literally smoked dope on lunch (not marijuana), kissed the behinds of new female employees would advance them without any experience and overlooked those that worked hard. They were liars, Found out that everyone was paid well over $5 more than I.
Pros
Great Company Overall
Cons
Horrible Dept
Its Work
Technical Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 17, 2016
Older generation culture stuck in old ways. Trying to make changes to attract new younger talent. Promotions are often based on previous military service leaving civilians out to dry.
Pros
9/80 work schedule
Cons
Management Consists of veterans
Problems with Advancement and Recognition for Innovation
SENIOR AEROSPACE SYSTEMS ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 27, 2016
After working at NGC for over 18 months, with 17+ years of professional experience, I feel this company has so much potential, yet does not allow it's employees to succeed.

Challenges from all levels of management prevent significant cost savings to program because the company is stuck in the "It's been done this way before" mindset. All levels of management are afraid to challenge their directors and VPs to find great solutions and reduce the amount of rework required to accomplish quite simple program tasks.

By falling under the guise of "the chain of command" the management does not seek to embellish action for those with create thoughts and process improvement.

I would recommend those seeking work at NGC to consider if slow career growth is their goal. The speed of advancement is quite disrespectful for those engineers who 'think outside-the-box.'

Management would much rather come to a stalemate in a discussion then figure out how things can be made better to save money and streamline processes. Think long and hard if this is the place you would want to work.
Pros
9/80 work schedule, cool defense programs
Cons
lack of progress, lack of recognition, stifled innovation, slow corporate culture
Run Away Quickly
Director (Former Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CASeptember 28, 2016
Northrop Grumman was once a proud company that made great things. Now the political climate is one of fear and blame, engagement is lower than ever and older employees are being targeted to leave even though no one ever admits that is what is going on. It is a shame that a company that once valued experience now is so focused on meeting diversity targets that it structures incentives based on meeting these targets. Executive management sets the tone and everyone else follows along. VP's and above have the worst engagement scores and for good reasons.
Pros
9/80 schedule, some really good people
Cons
everything stated above and more
Overall a good company
Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 13, 2016
The benefits are expensive but great (I think most benefits are expensive nowadays).
You get education assistance but have to give time back in return.
I've worked in multiple locations and of course every location, manager, and coworkers are different but I've worked with nothing but great people so far.
Either you have a fantastic PM and managers who know what they're doing or you get people who don't have their stuff together but are still knowledgeable.
A good company to work for
Technical Support and System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYJuly 25, 2016
While I worked at Northrop Grumman I had the opportunity to work under some great managers and mentors. This was the primary reason I stayed with them for 20 years before moving on. Though a large company it had a warm family atmosphere along with their annual family picnic.
Pros
Great managers, co-workers, culture, job duties, salary and benefits
Cons
None that come to mind
Employee Focused Enviornment
HR (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 23, 2016
Northrop Grumman is a rewarding place to work. The culture of the company is engagement and employee satisfaction.

The hardest part of this job is that it is a call center environment, it is very difficult to work within a call center matrix if you are not accustomed. Your work is not be measured on your knowledge level but on your ability to meet the matrix numbers which are the same for any level, from tier one who answer and direct calls all day to the more involved lower management positions. If you are focused on assisting an employee beyond the basic customer service level, this may not may not be an ideal environment.
Pros
On site cafe
Cons
Call Center Enviornment
Better than Most, but Used to be Better
Technical Writer/Editor II (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 27, 2016
Most of the company that I have ever dealt with is full of fantastic employees. However, after 13 years, it has gone down hill. Management isn't as good as it used to be. A lot of micromanaging at play and disruptive to workers. The company has downsized quite a bit since I started and some good talent was lost. This is especially true for the management. Also, the layoffs have caused those remaining workers a lot more work for little to no pay increase.
Pros
Solid company, cares about their employees
Cons
Management isn't as solid, seems to downsize every 6 months or so. Benefits have also taken a turn for worse.
Horrible Management and Compensation
Supply Chain & Manufacturing Management (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILMay 15, 2016
Complete and total lack of integrity and accountability at all levels of management. Annual employee surveys continue to point to overall discontent and dissatisfaction with the organization. Management's reaction is to form teams to address these issue which result in nothing being done as the issues are greater than what employees can directly fix. Compensation and benefits are a joke. Annual increases have averaged about 0 - 1.5% for the past 4 years with benefits following closely behind. Program Managers run and direct their teams in a very unprofessional and highly disrespectful manner. If they can make you look bad they will. They're only out for themselves and no one else. Good luck getting an "atta boy"....ever. I could go on but I think you get the picture.
Pros
Helping Our Men and Women to Keep us Safe
Cons
Leadership, Compensation, Benefits, Reward & Recognition etc.
Loved working for this Government contracted agency
Administrator Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2016
At Immigration I loved all of my co-workers and management team. We all worked together as a team, as well as independently on a daily basis. I learned how to set up travel arrangements and deportation.

At the post office I loved all of my co-workers and management team. We all worked together as a team, as well as independently on a daily basis. I learned a lot about IRS, and secretary of state internet research. I learned about the different types of organizations that would apply for non profit and who could qualify as well as who could not.
Pros
Learned a lot in both positions held.
Cons
Being a contracted position

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northrop Grumman. Our community is ready to answer.