NorthShore Health Centers Employee Reviews

Horrible work place
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Station, INJuly 11, 2017
This company hires friends which are NOT qualified for the job so now you have to work twice as hard because they let go of awesome emplyees to make room for their incoptient friends. The only company I know that promotes then demotes. Will never recommend this place to anyone. Managers stand at 5he front desk and try to stir up gossip. Such a horrible work environment. This company gets grants for wverything but wabts you to jump through hoops for a .30 raise...
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Mangement HR CEO
dependable pay, reliable schedule, good benefits
Dental assistant/office (Former Employee) –  Portage, IN 46368April 14, 2017
I worked for North Shore for seven years, I had left to finish college, I wish I would have stayed, the CEO was great! Helped me in anyway they could with my new infant with free formula, helped find me an underwriter and last minute attorney, however, many people we "let go" they have a reputation for firing people if they start to make either to much money or whatever else they can find wrong, if I had been there to much longer I may have finally been let go. Seems everyone I worked with was fired from dentists, doctors, nurses, hyg, assistant, receptionist and the list goes on.
Pros
good pay, good benefits, good people
Cons
reputation for firing people
Like walking on eggshells
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portage, INApril 6, 2017
northshore is a unfair place to work for. Your work is based on who is your friend that week not based on how well you perform.
Poor coverage for breaks, unknowleged management who tell you how to do your job, overload on work, short staff, poor training.
They being a medical clinic are not receptive to thought of allowing time for continuing education even if in the medical field . I loved working there to help people, That is what I stayed there for. But when your own health is being harmed by trying to help others with theirs sometimes its just best to let it go. Although the pay is decent you learn money is not everything.
Pros
decent wages
Cons
unnecessary stress, unfair work condition
Needs more Structure
Expanded Functions Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INFebruary 8, 2017
Their is no such thing as a typical day working at NSHC, I have learned quite a bit working for this company such as, how to handle stressful situations, how to keep patient flow steady, and how to operate in a fast-paced environment.

I went through many managers and doctors while working with NSHC, and that being said, I have adapted fairly quickly to new styles of leadership. I really enjoy(ed) working with my co-workers, they were fun, energetic, and they knew how to keep the day flowing nicely.

The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the satisfied and grateful patients at the end of their treatment. It makes me sad when a patient comes in initially and they don't like their smile. After completing the treatment and they have a new smile and they just tell you how much happier we have made them, makes me very happy.
Pros
Pot Lucks, Vacation/Sick time, Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance
Cons
Lack of structure, no real guidelines
Fun place to work
Behavioral Health Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INMay 4, 2016
I love working for NorthShore Health Centers. They offer a competitive salary along with great employee benefits. I enjoy the relationships that I've built with employees and staff.
Enjoyable work
Medical Administrative Assistant Externship (Former Employee) –  Portage, INMay 1, 2016
I enjoyed the office environment. I like to be kept busy, and I was always busy here.

The employees and employer was easy to work with.

This was an externship, so the experience was short, but enjoyable,
Pros
Got experience in a medical office
Cons
To short of a opportunity
Hostile unorganized
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Station, INApril 24, 2016
I think the company is not structured ,managers are terrible , family members have important jobs which they are not qualified for also they watch you like you are children and everyone tells on each other to the management and they always threatened to fire employees for gossip if people discuss work or question management I think it's very hostile and you are stressed out there so no I would not work there
Pros
Holiday pay
Cons
Everything else
Overall better than other CHC in Northwest Indiana
(CPhT) Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Portage, INNovember 13, 2015
This clinic would be great if there wasn't nepotism, butt kissing, cliques, and low wages-result in staff turnover. Even with having pharmacy technician experience in the hospital and in retail, the starting wage is below average. With past work experience, state license, and PTCB national certification the wage HR will not negotiate, you take it or leave it. It's a 340B pharmacy so you're practically giving away free drugs (up to 3 months supply) to the underinsured and uninsured. Since there's more nurse practitioners then doctors a lot of the dosing is wrong or has to be corrected. It's an in-house pharmacy, meaning we only fill prescriptions for our patients and some of the doctors still have the nerve to E-scribe prescriptions to outside pharmacies before even consulting with patients that they just seen during a visit. Wait time usually is 20 minutes the only downside is that the computer systems they use NextGen and WinRX suck. Luckily IT is good and fast, but the computers breakdown way too much, they need to upgrade the whole system in the pharmacy and on the medical side.
Pros
Off nights and weekends
Cons
Nepotism, managers are not from medical field backgrounds, low wages
Horrible place to work
LPN (Former Employee) –  Portage, INAugust 22, 2015
Most managers are family of the CEO. One manager was an engineer for the railroad and knows nothing about managing a medical practice but this manager is family that is why he is in the position. Loved the doctors and my coworkers.
Pros
Great doctors and coworkers
Cons
Horrible management and owner
They pay well. That's it
Former Management (Former Employee) –  Portage, INMarch 19, 2015
The work environment is extremely hostile. There is an extreme amount of nepotism, starting with the CEO and working it's way all the way down. Unless you're desperate, don't work here.
Coworkers helped each other out. Great IT team. Nice patients.
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Station, INJanuary 29, 2015
Showed up to work and prepped the practitioner's schedule. I learned how to do capillary draws and work with more diabetic patients. Management was disconnected and never present. Co-workers were fun and helped one another. The hardest part was the instability. I was always getting bounced around between 3 cities and worked way over scheduled hours because the schedules were always overbooked. I enjoyed the comradery of my coworkers and there were many resources available to patients that made it easier for them to manage their care.
Pros
Great programs and employees
Cons
Terrible management
Growing Company
Community Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lake Station, INNovember 3, 2014
NorthShore is a fast growing company. A typical work day is fast-paced and busy. I learned a great deal about assisting the uninsured and under-insured; there is a great need in the community for quality and affordable healthcare. Management is a bit out of touch with communication.
I loved my job and the organization!
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portage, INMay 19, 2014
I loved my job and the organization! Super productive and fast paced office. I had an excellent experience here!
Very fast paced environment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Station, INJuly 27, 2013
I worked primarily in the OB/GYN department. I was responsible for scheduling all the doctors surgeries, obtained patient vitals, injections, assisted in minor procedures, and did specimen collection. I loved caring for the pregnant women
Pros
Good pay, great work environment
Cons
Management changed a lot, health insurance was too expensive