NorthShore University HealthSystem Employee Reviews in United States

Place sucks
patient finance (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILFebruary 26, 2016
If you apply for Customer service or self-pay RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!!!!! People are treated unfairly unless you are friends with a manager or lead.People fighting on the floor an nothing is done about it.Managers are afraid of their own employees.you are told one thing but then get written up for it.when using your sick time it is used against you.People are so stressed out they are on medical leave because the stress level is so bad. managers have employees calling patients acting like they are the managers so they don't have to deal with it. Employees are timed how long it even takes the to go to the bathroom. WARNING RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
Benefits
Cons
managers suck
Position Summary
Clinical Nurse Manager, GI Laboratory (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, ILFebruary 23, 2016
My departments have been completely rebuilt over the past 5 years and a cohesive team has emerged. Volume is significantly higher than last year and the team functions smoothly. It has been a pleasure to coach and develop the team over the years.

Unfortunately, this position requires on-call coverage 24/7 for urgent problems, service recovery, and staffing issues. Collaboration between physicians and nurses has improved over the years, with additional growth needed.
Caring and Exceptional Work Environment
Practie Manager (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILJanuary 19, 2016
The most enjoyable thing about coming to work here are the employees. Each are caring and go above an beyond for the good of the patients.
Great Environment and Friendly staff
Patient Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Glenview, ILJanuary 19, 2016
I was used as a "dummie" for approval of a new position. I worked as an assistant resident coordinator for 3 years with the company. I never was given a corrective action, or disciplined for not doing a job well done. I was overworked and under paid, but I loved the job and loved working with the Residents at the clinic. I applied for the position once it was approved and was verbally told it was mine, because I have been doing it for 3 years and no problems had occurred. Needless to say the job was given to an outside candidate. I was disappointed and was assigned the role of registering and checking in patients at the front desk. That made me realize I am very outgoing and social. My customer service skills paid off, I am awarded awards of achievements given my patients, stating my "friendly smile and willingness to help refill meds and problem solve keeps them coming back to clinic".
So, something that I thought would devastated me, actually helped me value other skills I couldn't utilize in a closed space by myself.
Pros
The staff our wonderful, I love putting a smile on sick patient's faces, flexibility with the hours and days of work.
Cons
No opportunity for advancement or growth, ideas are thrown out and not encouraged, lack of personable skills from management.
First healthcare experience
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILJanuary 11, 2016
Made a lot of great connections with co-workers. Learned a lot about the acute inpatient setting. Ran short staffed nearly everyday and managers were not helpful when running short.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
rarely time for break. managers would use information against you
Productive work place
lab technician (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILDecember 23, 2015
Every day is different with a new challenge, diverse environment with fun people. It can be confusing at times but the issue always gets resolved.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement and pay
very stressful over worked and unorganized place.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILDecember 17, 2015
At one point I had loved working for the Family Medicine group even though it was very busy, but after the manager left it all went down hill. Most of the staff is somewhat friendly and helpful but when it came down to the new management it became horrible. Manager does not seem to care for his staff, manager is always in his office never checks on his staff to see if the M.As or triage department needs help to be able to have someone come and help the office, if there are issues in the office management would be told and the manager would not do much about the situation or would take weeks to address the situation. Very poor patient consideration and care, some of the doctors are to fast to the point patients would complain because they were not attended right or in a timely manor. Some doctors would treat employee's like real people others would treat you like your lower then them and would not care for employee's.
Benefits
Cons
bad management, poor staff communication, poor patient care, not paid enough for all they have you doing.
Good group of people with a lot of humor.
Certified Tumor Registrar (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 13, 2015
Getting the daily transcription jobs completed along with the rest of the office requirements. I learned how to multi-task. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the different personalities.
Pros
Fun get-to-gethers and the pizza lunches
Cons
Dealing with all the personalities on a daily basis.
Bedside Critical Care Nurse
Nursing Professional Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllioisOctober 6, 2015
• Responsibilities include providing specialized nursing care in an acute critical care setting.
• Easily adapted to environments when working in the Intensive Care Units
Pros
Provided many opportunities to learn bedside critical care nursing skills
Cons
Seeking growth & development in other avenues of nursing
Amazing healthcare provider that allowed for personal and professoinal growth
Senior Patient Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILSeptember 29, 2015
NorthShore University HealthSystem is a large healthcare network that allows unlimited potential for growth. NorthShore is most definitely patient satisfaction based. To work at a healthcare facility where you have the opportunity to assist with generations of families is truly remarkable
Pros
Opportunity for growth
Cons
Great experience and amazing learning environment
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILSeptember 10, 2015
I currently work as an RN on a Medical-surgical/stroke unit. We have many different types of patients on our floor. I have learned so much in the past 6 months. Although many of the patients on the unit are complicated patients, it is a great learning environment. I learn new things everyday and am so thankful for the experience. My co-workers are very friendly and willing to help. The hardest part of the job is that being a new graduate, sometimes I get underestimated. I am an extremely hard worker and I do my absolute best to make sure my patients are well taken care of and I provide a good working environment. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the smile on a patient's face when they realize they are in good hands. It is very touching to hear a patient compliment you and know that I am here to take good care of them.
Pros
Getting underestimated as a new graduate
Cons
Great learning environment and great co-workers
Fun place to work
Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILSeptember 1, 2015
A typical day at work consist of assessing and coordinating resources to assist patients.Management actively supportive.The most enjoyable part of my job is working with colleagues that motivates me and work as team players. The hardest part of my job is i am so compulsive about work that i cant stop until the job is perfect, i can be a bit aggressive in getting my goals and at times i can get too involved in other people and problem try to help.My willingness to work hard, i enjoy challenges of turning a disatisfied custiomer in a satified one.
RN (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ilAugust 19, 2015
Working at NorthShore University Healthsystem is a great place to work. With good nurses, doctors, residents and medical students this helps make a great team to be a part of. My co-workers are very helpful and also are team players to get the job done. The hardest part of my job is sometime not being able to stay with my patients through their deliveries. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to witness life being brought into the word.
Great work environment committed to excellence
Educational Specialist (Current Employee) –  Glenview, ILAugust 18, 2015
NorthShore is a great place to work for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, is the dedication to providing the highest quality patient care.
Awarded health care organization weathering change
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILJuly 20, 2015
Overall, this has been a great company for which to work. Job stability is high if you do the work expected of you. It is an especially good company from the standpoint of moving up the ranks. There is broad organizational support to promote from within, and the overall culture is very supportive of moving employees into different career paths. Additionally, the leadership/development training is beyond what I've experienced in many companies, with workshops on a broad spectrum of development offered numerous times throughout the year.
Fast patient upbeat environment
Patient Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILJuly 14, 2015
This was a fast paced up beat office. I worked with many physicians of many backgrounds. In this role the ability to multi-task and switch roles was very mandatory and worked effectively for this environment.
In the end its not such a bad place. People are friendly.
Unit Concierge (Former Employee) –  GlenviewJuly 10, 2015
The management has changed a lot (bad) in the past few years.
Need to revamp their benefits.
Need to review the organization goal as they seem to be going of course.
I am proud of being part of the excellence of care that NorthShore Univeristy HealthSystem provides its patients.
Speech-Language Pathologist-Registry (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILJune 12, 2015
While NorthShore University HealthSystem is an excellent corporation to work for, increasing job demands do not allow for as much of a job work/life balance as it used to.

The most enjoyable and rewarding part of my job is getting to know my patients and their families and to help them make gains in their rehabilitation.
Productive and fun place to work
Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILJune 3, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help others.The hardest part of the job is not taking the job home with you each day
One of the best places I've ever worked!
Pre-Registration Representative (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILJune 2, 2015
The staff feels more like family. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. We truly work as a team to get the job done. We value our patients and try to be as helpful as possible. Some people have the opportunity to work from home. A fun place to work with numerous advancement opportunities.