NorthShore University HealthSystem

NorthShore University HealthSystem Employee Reviews

Great learning opportunities
Associate Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILMarch 15, 2017
Great environment with growth potential. Each department is ran differently, however our particular department has a great collaborative environment and friendly atmosphere.
Fair
Precertification Specialist (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 15, 2017
A great company to work for. I wish there was more room for growth and more open lines of communication. The most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers.
Great People
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILMarch 1, 2017
I loved the job I did, the people I worked with, and management. However the companies' overall attendance policy as a system was unfair. Managers did not have the option of keeping or firing employees based on how hard they worked or how great they were or how many service values awards they earned. A system was in place that generalized everything as if it were black and white when in fact everything isn't always just black and white.
Poor management breeds consistently low employee morale
Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  IllinoisFebruary 26, 2017
This review is regarding inpatient pharmacy only. Management doesn't care about its employees at all and makes it clear that you're easily replaceable. Employee morale is consistently low and people aren't motivated to do their best work. Work-life balance is another weak aspect, but management doesn't bother to put in any effort to change anything because they don't have to work the challenging and undesirable shifts. You're just told that this is how things have always been done OR it will no longer be done a certain way that was approved in the past depending on what's convenient for them (very inconsistent and unfair). Many people are interested in seeking positions elsewhere and turnover is very high, especially for technicians. On the positive side, the health system itself is good and patients receive excellent care from our staff.
Pros
Advanced technology, good patient care
Cons
Terrible management, very poor work-life balance, low salary compared to other hospitals
Archaic culture and work flow
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILFebruary 21, 2017
This is one of those companies that just refuses to embrace new practices and ideas.
A very top heavy company where upward mobility is non-existent.
Management is not willing to admit mistakes and push the blame down the ladder.
The company culture is lead by fear.
Decent benefits, as long as you stay within their own network.
Pros
A possible work from home day, or flex time.
Cons
Very stressful environment with long work hours.
A busy, but professional internal medicine office
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILFebruary 16, 2017
This was my first job out of nursing school and I was able to learn a lot about medications, symptomatic (triage) questions, lab work and how to work efficiently in rooming patients. I enjoyed having an overall knowledge of an internal medicine office.
Terrible
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILFebruary 15, 2017
Management is terrible. They do not set you up for success then they blame you when it doesnt work. You are basically chained to your desk for 8 hours a day. You are allowed 2 breaks and a lunch. You have an allowed time to be away from your desk but if you go over even a minute you will get an email letting you know you went over. There is no work/life balance. The attendance policy is horrible. Its a no fault policy so they dont care what the reason is there is an occurence. If you get a certain number in a year you are fired. Quality Assurance is very strict. You can have a perfect call and miss one thing and you will fail the call. They nit pick everything you say and do. You can think you had a perfect call and they will find something they feel is wrong. There is no training on insurance but you are expected to enter the correct information. They want robots who stay at their desk and dont talk to anyone. God forbid you get up and have a conversation with anyone on the floor. The pay is higher than most places because they know you wont want to take a pay cut to leave for another position.
Pros
higher compensation
Cons
management. no career advancement.
Good scheduling
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Glenview, ILJanuary 24, 2017
I really like the set schedule and the rotation of the weekends and the environment of the people and work place. The hospital is a good company and makes sure that there employees are satisfied and well. By me working for Aramark to get thru to NorthShore as a hospital had been a good experience and well rounded.
great place to work
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYJanuary 14, 2017
this was the best place I have worked at. this company represents love and working on the palliative care unit was a way to help me open my eyes to life
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Really great culture within the organization.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILJanuary 12, 2017
Amazing place to work with opportunity to climb the ladder. People within the organization really have respect for anyone that is willing to share new ideas. I enjoyed working there.
Great place to work Professional environment
Immediate Care Outpatient Lab Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILJanuary 9, 2017
immediate care facility is fast for results for lab services Patients have a comfortable flow between departments Great employee support system with management
Pros
Education classes great benefits
Cons
Sometimes late hours the medical field closes when patients are completed
Good atmosphere to make a defining change in life
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Manhasset, NYDecember 14, 2016
I started with Northshore University Hospital almost two months and i like it. Every other weekend off, good management and coworkers who want to see you succeed.
Pros
You decide how far you want to go with the company.
Great place to work.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILDecember 14, 2016
Loved working here. Each day was different and fun. Everyone I worked with were productive and friendly. Support staff and administration were also very dedicated.
Professional and collaborative environment
Clinical Pharmacist, Inpatient, Resource (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILOctober 27, 2016
NorthShore inpatient hospital is a great place to work as a per diem pharmacist. The staff and management are extremely professional, very collaborative, and fun. I would highly recommend it and am fortunate to be a member of the team.
Pros
mentoring, staff culture
Very good community hospital system
Respiratory Care Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILSeptember 30, 2016
The quality of care is excellent. Big focus on customer loyalty. Rather "corporate" vibe. Plenty of acronym-based employee initiatives. Just a really good community hospital system lucky in the affluence level of its primary service area. Facilities are new and well maintained.
Pros
nice campus
Worst job
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILSeptember 30, 2016
Horrible job I repeat horrible job !!! Micromanaged and try to look for another job don't even consider this job !The first day I began they make it seem its the most wonderful place on earth it seems nice but in reality it really isn't !! The pay is alright but once you get to emails stating to you went over your break for 1 minute thats right 1 minute they stated we already lost 200 calls by the ''extra minute'' you took and managers always breathing down your neck always pointing our your errors but not trained properly but yet expect us not to make mistakes also always firing people left and right for the most dumbest reason never a good one I honestly don't recommended this place at all to no one worst job ever !!!!!!
Cons
Stressful job, micromanaged
review
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILSeptember 14, 2016
Management does not engage with employees. If you call out sick it counts against you. Why even gives us sick hours . Management only talks down to employees never talking about the good always bad
Not a long term opportunity
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILSeptember 8, 2016
North Shore has awesome benefits and pretty good compensation. However as a patient access rep., you are part of an assembly line, you can take 60+ calls a day with few to no break in between. Management will go above and beyond to point out every single one of your mistakes, but you will hear nothing when it comes to something that you did well. Patients are often frustrated with the call handling protocol, due to the call center system. The staff has no support from management and therefore, the company culture, at least in the PAC, is very miserable. There is a HUGE turn around rate, which I even noticed during my training, it was then that I should have ran for the hills. You can find the same benefits and compensation else where, don't waste your time or energy on this place-its not worth your happiness.
Excellent mentorship examples for the company's employees
Patient Access Representative I/Resource Pool (Current Employee) –  Skokie, IL. Evanston, IL. Buffalo Grove, IL.September 8, 2016
NorthShore University HealthSystem is a great company to work for. My only suggestion would be that they offered more flex time for their employees.
Summary
Senior Secretary (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILAugust 16, 2016
There is a lot of repetition. It is important to like who you are working with. Great feeling when you are helping patients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NorthShore University HealthSystem. Our community is ready to answer.