Northside Hospital & Tampa Bay Heart Institute

Northside Hospital & Tampa Bay Heart Institute Employee Reviews

Plenty of work to do.
Medical Technologist (ASCP) (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 14, 2017
This is a good hospital to work especially for young people who want to learn a lot. The busy ER will keep everyone running most of the time. Stroke, STEMI and sepsis alerts are priorities.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Not so flexible schedule, no one to swap with when needed
run in a very old fashioned manner
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMay 18, 2017
High turnover
Government healthcare agencies come in regularly to monitor safety, cleanliness, etc.
Teaching facility
For a heart hospital, that is the only cutting edge advancement
Unsafe ER for staff and patients!!
Paramedic-ER (Current Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLFebruary 13, 2017
The ER at Northside Hospital leaves a lot to be desired for both staff and patients. The staffing is horribly low and the management will cut staff even when its really busy to make their numbers look better. The majority of RN staff is either travelers, agency, or brand new grads with no experience. The ER "leadership" has ran off all the good seasoned staff. The RN's left there are usually on an 8-10 patients to 1 Nurse ratio with a lot of high acuity patients sometimes requiring a 1 to 1 Nurse ratio leaving the other patients unattended for long periods of time. The equipment there is old and broke a lot and you have to frankenstein equipment together to get things to work. The hospital wants to go level 2 trauma but they can't even run a regular ER correctly. If they become a trauma center with the current staff and management patients WILL die. If you value your nursing license and sanity stay as far away from this place as you can! If you love your family members take them somewhere else for emergency care. Sadly until they get rid of the current incompetent ER management and restructure the ER staffing its going to contine to be run into the ground.
Pros
Opens your eyes to how bad management can run off good employees and demoralize the remaining staff.
Cons
Honestly just about everything at this ER
very productive
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 20, 2017
Never a dull moment. Alot of travel nurses, high turnover rate. Often short staffed, with little to no help, Nurses are wonderful, residents disrespect nurses. Great place to work, gained alot of experience and opportunities to learn. I would recommend for new nurses.
Pros
shift differential
Cons
Bulling, numberous managers, forget to pay sick time computer, vital machines broken most of time.
Management Does Not Support Staff, and Staffing is a Nightmare
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 12, 2016
The experience as an employee starts out good, for about 2 weeks, and then the true colors show. This management here does not have the employee best interest in mind. It is frightening as they lie, and understaff, at the risk of patient safety. Hospital is a for profit, so that tells you what is important to them, certainly not the patient.
Pros
Cons
short staffed, untrained staff, management that does not support staff
Northside Hospital is an ever changing Hospital
CVOR Clinical Director (Current Employee) –  St Petersburg Beach, FLMarch 2, 2016
Some areas of this hospital are growing and moving in a very positive direction. There are some great people at Northside and some areas are like family. Care to patients is a priority, and the standard of values is on the rise.
Love who I work with but staffing is a dangerous nightmare
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLFebruary 15, 2016
I've been with Northside for over 4 years now, beginning as a CNA and finally I am an RN. Northside has an excellent culture and has some of the most amazing nurses and that's why I have stayed for so long. Unfortunately, understaffing issues make the hospital a dangerous environment for both staff and clients. I am frequently placed in understaffing issues that make me fear for my license and my patient's well being and that's terrifying. You spend a lot of time at school learning about advocating for patient's and providing thorough, safe care and this hospital does not provide us the tools we need to give it. Heartbreaking!
Pros
Great team to work with - I love the staff!
Cons
Seriously and dangerously understaffed
A great place to work
EVS Assist. (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FL.August 13, 2015
You have to be a Team player in any job, but I feel in the hospital enviroment it is a major importance because you are dealing with all kinds of situations. My co-workers were always willing to lend a hand. I very much enjoyed the interaction between my self and the patients. It made my day to put a smile on someons face. By dealing with so many different individuals,both patients and co-workers, I enjoyed learning about so many different cultures, I thrived on that because I was taught something new everyday.
Great people....
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLApril 20, 2015
Northside has a great Respiratory Team!! All of the therapists at night get along well with their crews and they all work hard. ER is busy busy busy. Work load is not good...sometimes it is a little scary as to how many patients you are supposed to see. Management leaves something to be desired. However, all in all good place to work...just not for the lazy.
Pros
Helpful friendly staff
Cons
Poor management in RT dept.
Older staff
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 6, 2015
The respiratory department is made up of older people who have little to no advanced training. They do as little as possible and spend a lot of time in the department watching tv.
overworked
Patient Care Tech (Current Employee) –  St. PetersburgDecember 6, 2014
Understaffed and overworked. From the RN'S to Techs. Needs more help. Company doesn't seem to care for employees. ..... Good pay for PRN though
Pros
PRN pay high
Cons
understaffed & overworked
Hospital culture is horrible
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 20, 2014
Overworked with inadequate time for patient care. Patient assignments too large to safely manage.
Fantastic Heart Team
Lead Tech in Cardiovasular Operating Department (Former Employee) –  ocala, flMarch 18, 2014
Great co-workers
Wonderful Managers
Surgeons are so well trained
Love St. Petersburg!
Cath Lab Tech PRN (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 7, 2013
A great place to work and live !

I returned to Northsaide for a second tour !
Cons
To much to learn at a hospital love it
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 31, 2012
I love working at Hospitals cause you get to learn so many diffrent stuff am trying to get back in working in hospitals and just take it from there to higher career as a PCA or Phlebotomy those are my Goals
back in the day it was a great place to work
Technician (Former Employee) –  St Petersburg flNovember 12, 2012
I worked in the Emergency room for 8yrs and i learned alot from the nurses and the dr's, which prompted me to start nursing school.
Pros
some of my good friends were made there
Cons
a very busy ed and you dont always get a break
VerExcellent Med-Surg Manager
Charge RN + Floor Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLOctober 2, 2012
Very stressful work environment due to understaffing. Med-Surg Manager was absolutely fantastic, friendly, and reliable. The most enjoyable part of this job was my schedule.
Pros
self-scheduling
Cons
stressful environment
I enjoyed this job dearly
Unit Secretary/Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 12, 2012
I worked as a Unit Clerk as well as a Nurse tech & a Monitor tech & I enjoyed doing that aalot
Pros
positons i held
Cons
call offs
A teaching Hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FloridaMarch 3, 2012
The Hospital is a teaching hospital where everybody learns from one another
Pros
free lunch
Cons
healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northside Hospital & Tampa Bay Heart Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7