Northwest Hospital & Medical Center

Northwest Hospital & Medical Center Employee Reviews

Continues to go downhill for employees and patient care
Employee (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 7, 2017
Lowest paid in the area for most professions and very poor management all the way up the chain. It seemed to have potential to provide excellent patient care when starting there years ago, but has progressively become worse.
Pros
Many nice people to work beside
Human Resources I (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 5, 2017
I had clear defined duties and I was always busy. If I had down time it was has to most 15 minutes per week. I did loads of filing in my position and the best was the monthly on-boarding seminar that I facilitated.
Pros
Great location
Cons
It is a 24 hr operation, a small city
HealthCare
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Randallstown, MDAugust 31, 2017
I've been employed at Northwest for nine years. At first it was an exceptional place to work. Over the years things have changed tremendously. Poor management as well as very political. Healthcare is not what it started out to be.
Pros
to assist in the healing care of patients
Cons
Poor management.
Run
Admitting Rep- Outpatient Reg (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 26, 2017
hostile work environment between coworkers overworked not enough staff and definitely underpaid for amount of stress and work done.
poor management more like what management
no work life balance
benefits
Cons
pay, advancements, management, hostile
Exciting
Operating Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 7, 2017
This job was very exciting because I was exposed to events and things that most people are not exposed to or get to experience everyday. I learned so much here and I would love to work for this company again if time permits me to. People are very friendly and they take the safety of their patients very serious and have the most skilled and talented doctors i have ever worked with or had a chance to get to know.
Pros
free lunches
Ok,
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 4, 2017
Great staff on gero psych, always ready to help out but hospital has little funding and needs new stuff and building ASAP. pay is not good compared to other hospitals. Only 34hr for 4yrs exp as RN.
Fantastic Place to Work
Northwest Medical Specialties Lead CPSS (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 16, 2017
I have really enjoyed the time that I have spent with this organization. I feel that the Hospital truly cares about both its patients, and its staff. There is some mild disconnect between the hospital and ambulatory side which can cause some frustration with progression of projects.
Work History
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Randallstown, MDMarch 20, 2017
I have enjoyed every aspect of my nursing career. I have worked in a variety of settings for over 28 years and have found each job fulfilling and satisfying.
Pros
Patient appreciation for nursing care
Cons
Mandatory mandation
OK place
Materials Handling Aide II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 28, 2017
The benefits are good for the hard work performed, main lure for me was the Training Fund afforded to employees that have been there a year.
Never Again
Admitting Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98133February 25, 2017
Lowest Paid Hospital

Management is Dogmatic. Lots of tension between New management and workers.

Management is sneaky trying to cut your hours that you were initially hired for behind your back.

Do not recommend for college students schedule is not flexible. If you ask to change your schedule for a quarter even something as small as moving your shift up an hour they will tell you that you can`t unless you want to change your work schedule permanently.

Benefits are not good. Medicaid covers way more than First Choice.

Only women in Admin Rep all catty and talk about each other behind each others back. If you do not want to go back to HS environment do not work here.

Coworker Admitting are unaccountable leave early and call out sick last minute.
Pros
UW Facility, Hospital
Cons
Healthcare, Pay, Schedule Flexibility
Great place to work !
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 13, 2016
I worked at Northwest Hospital for 28 years. As you probably have concluded I liked it there ! The supervisors were supportive and there was always room for advancement. I would still be working there but I moved and the commute was too long. I would highly recommend working there if you can !
Pros
Small but big enough that you see a lot of variety.
Cons
Aligned with U of W. I think it was better before.
Amazing place to work
Cardiac Monitor Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 12, 2016
One of my best jobs ever. Mgmt makes everyone feel equal and valued. Great pay and benefits. Great staff communication. Union. Very flexible management
Pros
great pay, benefits are best around
HR bullies employees
health (Current Employee) –  SeattleJune 17, 2016
As an employee it's a nice place to work, there are some great people but HR is completely corrupt and verbally abusive. They belittle employees and give them ultimatums. They allow some managers to treat employees poorly and blacklist employees. From the inside I can say I have been treated poorly and its sad to see bad reviews but I can now validate them. It is sad to see that good employees can get treated this way and there is preferential treatment. HR is corrupts and sides with management on outrageous issues document and get recordings of everything
Pros
some nice people
Cons
Bullying from HR
Management Doesn't Care
Admitting Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 27, 2016
I worked for NWH for over 8 years, I truly loved working there when I started but after the UW took over everything went down hill. They don't care about their employees at all anymore. They are more concerned about the bottom line than patient care or their employees. The raises are laughable, and the pay is lower than industry standard and as such they only seem to be able to retain staff that are ridiculously terrible at their job.

Their admitting system was a program that was designed in 1986, their policies and procedures are so redundant that they will make you want to pull your hair out but they have to be because the employees who can't logic their way out of a paper sack. Upper management is no better, they lack basic logic skills as well and waste most of their time in meetings coming up with procedures for things they don't understand and implementing them without consulting anyone who actually does know what is going on. Their strategy for dealing with customer complains is to is to ignore them. Quality improvement seems to only make things worse instead of improving work flows.

Don't expect to get an edible meal in the cafeteria even when they charge $6 a plate (no employee discount). Don't expect very many people to be able to efficiently complete the job without a lot of mistakes. Expect the patients to be angry A LOT about the quality of care they recieve and don't expect management to appreciate you at all, in fact just expect them to treat you like dirt if you make under 6 figures.

I will truly miss some of the people there, but not enough to put
  more... up with it anymore. If you work the you will be treated like UW's redheaded stepchild.  less
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Drama, terrible management, low pay
1st Shift Lab is the worst..save yourself the time.
MLT (Former Employee) –  Shoreline, WAJanuary 16, 2016
Training for new people was marginal at best, They train some people one way and train others another way by intentionally leaving out information. Constant turmoil and petty workers waiting to back stab you if given the chance. When there was a shift change, night shift purposely avoided the incoming first shift so they wouldn't have to deal with all the politics that awaited them at the end of their shift.. MLTs and Techs were considerate,helpful with processing. Supervisor claimed to have prior training, just didn't see it anywhere and relied on the lead to get them through the day. There is more to supervising than translating e-mails.
Apply for 2nd or 3rd shift. you will be better off and learn something substantial.
Pros
pay and benefits, some good co-workers
Cons
you have to pay for parking, petty workers, Superviser
an ideal place to work
RN staff nurse and charge nurse (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 23, 2015
Kind, friendly and supportive coworkers. It is a great place to enter the nursing workforce, where the RNs don't "eat their young". Management listens and tries to resolve issues to the best they're able to (budget cuts, etc.). Adequate levels of staffing and great support and communication between floor nurses and nursing supervisors. Night shift is especially a tight group and make working @ NWH fun and never a dull moment. I would encourage anyone to apply to work there.
Pros
friendly people to work
Cons
budget cuts, some units in need of remodeling
Great organization to work for- Patient's truly are the focus
Lead/Technical Director Nuclear Medicine Tech (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 12, 2015
My job is amazing. I lead the best team of techs, the patients are sometimes challenging, but wonderful. My manager continues to make sure the department has everything needed to be updated with our equipment, to include items for patient comfort. My most enjoyable part of my day are the patients because each one holds their own challenge. The hardest part about my job is my commute, not the job. I have learned to be a good lead technologist and both the physicians and other techs have contributed in making me a stronger technologist.
Pros
My team, patients and managemnet
Cons
My commute
first time employment
CMA (Former Employee) –  seattle, waAugust 5, 2015
It's a good place to work if you don't know better.once you know you will find somewhere else to work . management I MO did not care for their employees
Pros
job
Cons
poor management
Work is physically demanding. Computer system is a nightmare.
Clinical Team Member (RN) (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 30, 2015
Be prepared to work hard every single shift. If you are dependent on a full time schedule of pay, this may not be the place for you. As soon as census drops, employees are sent home .... to use their own PTO to make up the difference in pay.
Pros
Team members
Cons
Computer systems, no down time
Admitting Supervisors are horrendous
Surgical Admitting (Former Employee) –  OPMCJuly 13, 2015
Great job if you enjoy verifying insurance. Began in the ER, ended up in surgical admitting. Some coworkers are great, others are very petty and will email about various issues with other staff. Management is terrible, they get very upset when you call out sick, or will not stay an hour or two overtime to assist. They do not value your time, only theirs. Beware.
Pros
Interesting health cases
Cons
Management, petty coworkers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwest Hospital & Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8