Northwest Nazarene University Employee Reviews in United States

Work environment don't work there
Facility Electrician (Former Employee) –  Environmental ServicesAugust 10, 2011
You know when I first started work there it was great, the environment was worth the pay which was little but good environment.
TILL change and they they came to rule different. and was not fun any longer. Use to got treated with respect and listen to your ideas.
Right now at NNU don't give them the time of day they think your wrong.
I would not even go to school there some put up a fake front.
They got reed of those that where their along time and cut benefits.
Pros
nice hours
Cons
manage don't know what they're doing
Student Club
President of Club (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDApril 29, 2015
This was a club on campus that I took part in. We would group together on Wednesday nights and go to certified family homes and play with elderly residents that had mental disabilities. It was a lot of fun and a great way to be in the community.
The people working there with me were fun to be around
Summer Research Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDJune 12, 2012
A typical day at work involved me searching for protein alignment algorithms online, downloading them, and running them with protein structural data. I learned that there are several programs out there that can align protein structures, yet none of them are perfect. There is a lot of room for improvement for these algorithms. The hardest part of the job was developing scripts in PERL to run all the structure data through these programs then using C++ to format the data. The most enjoyable part was working with the people that were in the lab.
Pros
it was a good learning time for me to have this job during my summers in college.
Cons
only had 5 weeks the first summer and 10 weeks the second summer to do anything.
It's a Man's World - and not very nice men at that
Administration (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDAugust 17, 2013
It is my opinion that: Most of the Male professors were the biggest gossips. Several of them had pretty hot tempers too. It was not uncommon for the self-righteous men to have a complete fit in front of anyone they wanted. Did they discipline them? No, they promoted them to other positions in the university. Everything in this place is swept under the rug, unless you were in a role other than a professor. At that point you were just fired. The worst was seeing how the professors would treat some students. If a girl got herself in trouble, instead of being non-judgmental, as Christians are called to do, they would spread rumors about the students. Once a student stood outside the door while a professor made horrible comments about her. The prof had no idea she was standing outside the door, but it shouldn't have happened anyway. The nepotism at the university is just as bad. Students taking classes from their parents are getting special treatment. The students often discussed how horrible life was in the dorms and it didn't surprise me. This University is run by men that are threatened by intelligent and strong women. They teach their classes with an air of sexism and they work the same way. A lot of these people are just mean. Mean to each other and mean to the students. Staff are also mean to each other. A lot of negativity and untrue accusations in order to get ahead of one another. Not all of them are that way, but the ones that aren't are usually pushed out of the university by one mean or another. I've heard professors leave the university screaming out the door because  more... the things the university promised did not come to fruition. The university went several years without giving pay increases. Also, if the air conditioning goes out during the hottest point in the summer you are asked to "be positive" about it, even though you are about to die from heat stroke. Who is saying "be positive"? The people in top positions at the university that don't have to work in that building. Will they fix it, not right away. They need months to get the money together because they are spending money on nonsense that could have waited. Let's change the school logo, colors and mascot again. It must be more important than improving dorm conditions, right? Ugh!  less
Pros
tuition benefits
Cons
pay, leadership, hypocrites, and priorities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwest Nazarene University. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8