Northwest Savings Bank Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work.
Teller Floating Part Time (Current Employee) –  Saint Marys, PAOctober 15, 2015
A typical day at Northwest is making sure that all customers are 100% satisfied with the services we are providing to them.
I have learned a great deal about the banking industry. There is always something new to learn on a day to day basis.
Co-workers and management are great, Very helpful with any issues or concerns that may arise throughout the day.
Hardest part is not being full time with no benefits
Most of enjoyable part of this job is that everyone is a team player. Everyone is very helpful.
Pros
Daylight and a great work atmosphere
Cons
no full time and benefits
Boring, stale, no advancement
Operations (Current Employee) –  Warren, PAMarch 25, 2016
There's a gym, but it's all aerobics... Yoga, dance, exercise balls. There's no elliptical or treadmills. Some ladies on the operations floor are very nice, some are very nosey and gossip about everyone, and some are very rude, VERY rude. You walk past someone smiling and say hello, they look at you, roll their eyes, and keep walking. And it's not just a bad day, it happens every single day. Managers in operations... the same way. A lot of them are extremely intimidating and can be rude. Advancing for promotions is rare, you really only bid out to other equally paying jobs.
Pros
Free leftovers from meetings, Nose studs, tattoos, healthcare, brita fountain
Cons
short breaks, no casual-clothing days (Ever.), Not many windows (all are inside management offices)
Love the busy work so that it makes time go by at a decent pace.
Retail Lending - Escrow (Current Employee) –  Warren, PASeptember 15, 2015
The office could use to hire some helping hands with the overload of work. The recent acquisition of new banks have overloaded many workers and made the environment a little stressful.

I love the benefits and have gotten to know some great people while working there. Everyone has been willing to help if I've had questions and have shown ways how to do things more efficiently.
Pros
I love the hours being able to spend time with my family on weekends.
Cons
Workload just keeps growing, not hiring or delegating people to ease work levels of employees.
Enjoyable job for a Full-time student if you can manage it into a schedule.
Floating Teller (Former Employee) –  State College, PAMarch 29, 2016
A typical day at work includes the daily operations and transactions with customers. I learned how to work in a team and display a positive, professional attitude when it may not have been the way I was feeling. Management was subpar and I was let go for an issue that happened more than 2 months prior. They didn't bother confronting me at the time to correct issues, but instead chose to let it go until the time was convenient for them. The hardest part of the job was the down times between customers, while the most enjoyable part was interacting with friendly customers and learning about there needs.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, solid pay for a part time job.
Cons
Inflexible schedule, Long/boring/tedious days
Terrible Work Culture
Business Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMarch 4, 2016
'Good old boys' club. Very prejudice against Maryland. Small town corporate office can't relate to metro areas. Decisions poorly made due to stubborn attitudes of offering only small town solutions which causes a lack of product growth and higher costs of doing business. Was told at department meeting that no one had ever lost their job for not reaching their goals. However, high performer's positions are eliminated in order to make the small- town performers look better because the small town performers are not trained well and can't perform at the higher levels achieving only 10% of annual goal.
Pros
Easy Work and low expectations for performance
Cons
No job security including those of high performers.
Hope you are in with the "In Crowd"
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  AnywhereMay 2, 2016
I had to laugh when I read a review about the people and managers on the Operations floor, funny because it's true. There are several department managers that will walk right by you and look right through you like you don't even exist. It's a culture of "the In crowd". Department reps are overworked, sometimes performing the duties of 2 or 3 people and they are completely underpaid considering the level of skill and knowledge they need to have to complete their job duties. You are lucky to have a position filled if someone leaves and god forbid they add to the staff. Branch staff are better paid than back office however since they closed a ton of branches recently working in the branch isn't much better.
Pros
Cheap but decent health benefits
Cons
Underpaid-overworked
Nice place to work
Part-Time Teller (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 3, 2016
My day includes processing deposits withdrawals and any other type of transaction a customer may need. I also have to be able to answer questions and help customers understand new products that they have signed up for such as online or mobile banking. I like my job and helping our customers. I receive my schedule for the month but it can still be difficult because our schedule changes every day and that can be tedious. I have been fortunate enough to have great managers and full-timers to train me so that I could do my job.
Pros
Paid vacation, 401k
Cons
Changing schedule
productive until new management took over
Teller (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PA 17033March 28, 2016
When I started in 2001 it was a very good Company, but later that management changed it was not fun anymore, employees lost their jobs and some branches were closing.
Pros
free lunches during training
Cons
no breaks for at least 10 mins and it is by law to have breaks.
great health benefits
Unknown (Former Employee) –  PAMay 1, 2015
Great health benefits is the only positive. Good old boys club you have to be in the in group otherwise regardless of how well your job performance is you will not be recognized. No loyalty, you will be cut without a second thought. Extremely political
Pros
health Ins
Cons
No Loyalty or Job Security
Great Employer & Co- Workers
Part Time Teller (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 22, 2016
All transactions for customers & promotion of products, I learned all about banking management & co-workers were great, the job was very enjoyable.
Credit Analyst Trainee (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYMarch 30, 2016
Great place to work in my opinion. Hours are good, can be demanding at times but great environment. The co workers are great and the manager is a very intelligent person who leads by example and knows how to get the job done right.
Productive and fun workplace
Teller (Current Employee) –  Coudersport, PAOctober 13, 2015
I am a teller at Northwest Savings Bank, a typical day includes handling complex transactions and customer loyalty. I've learned a lot at Northwest, I was treasurer for numerous clubs in high school but working at the bank has improved my money skills tremendously. The management and my coworkers are excellent, we all share a close bond with each other. The hardest part of the job is when the bank gets busy and each station is filled, however, we work together to ensure customer satisfaction promptly.
Pros
Small town
Cons
Only can work up to 40 hours
Great Place to Start a Career
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Williamsport, PAJune 3, 2015
A relaxed work environment that allows you to work at your pace and focus on your strengths than always improving your weaknesses.
Pros
Great philosophy, good co-workers
Cons
Compensation
Great employees, with terrible management.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 5, 2015
When I began my career with Northwest it was wonderful. The company cared about their employees, managers lead with respect, had clear goals, and subsequently the office atmosphere was very positive. Today, the only way to be successful is to be one of the 'favorites.' SOME members of managment are willing to lie, be unethical, and flat out demeaning towards employees just to get their way. Offices are an understaffed revolving door, as no one wants to remain with the company in the Pittsburgh area. Personal Bankers are run ragged by office managers, and in many areas preform more duties than managers for a laughable salary. I've watched a manager sit in the office eating all day while everyone else works hard to maintain the office. PB's are the glue in your offices, learn to appreciate them. The final manager I had was remarkable to her staff, and it's a shame those above her don't share the same level of respect toward subordinates.

Over the past two years Northwest has decided it would be wise to attempt to act like the big boys (PNC), and it has been a failure. If a minnow tries to play with a shark, the shark won't even notice it. When you try to force feed a customer base that has been trying to avoid the big bank way of thinking, you will lose the heart and sole of your clients. It would be nice to see the company remember who they truly are and have their own identity.
Pros
Health insurance is excellent
Cons
Poor vision and Upper Management
Steady work environment with high volume of transactions and customer intractions
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 22, 2013
A typical day at work entails running large and small transactions through out the day for different customers and businesses. Closely working in an office with co-workers to uphold to company values. I enjoy where I work, my co-workers, and the overall environment. I have learned many new things from long time employees and from software programs for running transactions. The hardest part of the job is a different scheduled shifts everyday making it difficult to plan around.
Pros
paid vacation, 401k, long lunches
Cons
inconsistant schedules, part-time
Didn't know what I was getting into ...
FT Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 9, 2015
I was not trained properly, pretty much learned from my computer classes and 2 women who became my friends. When a new manager came into the office, everything changed and not for the better. It seems the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. Once a month we worked in another branch and I couldn't wait for that day. It was such a happier environment. When I would go back to my branch there was chaos and negative energy as people came and went. The customers were always easy to work with and I think they appreciated seeing a smile when they walked in the door. There was never a typical day at the branch, things come up and you take care of them. It started to feel like I was in a department store. Pushing credit cards, loans and calling people to ask how their experience at the bank was. The best day I had at Northwest was turning in my notice!
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Comfortable job with no benefits and lack of personal obligations
Teller (Current Employee) –  Clearfield, PADecember 12, 2013
This a decent job, but you receive absolutely no benefits if you are a part time employee, regardless with how much time you are with the company, as well as working on a schedule that is given to you on Friday for the following Monday thru Saturday week, which makes it impossible to plan any personal requirements and appointments ahead of time.
Pros
easy going environment
Cons
healthcare, benefits, schedule
Do not work in the bridgeville office
manager (Former Employee) –  bridgevilleSeptember 14, 2013
do not work in the horrible bridgeville office. the higher management in warren treat those people like garbage. I heard they are selling the company soon so beware of not having a job in the long run. The job is horrible, low pay at salary. No overtime. save your self the time and don't got there
balancing transactions, opening new accounts
Senior Teller (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh PaJuly 27, 2014
i would like to advance my career in banking. I know i have the skills that are necessary to advance my career.
Pros
great healtcare, paid vacations, 401k.
Cons
very little promotions, little pay.
Fun, Family feeling, Friends, knowing everyones face
PT Teller (Former Employee) –  Lititz, PADecember 7, 2011
This is one of thee best banks to work for, the personal time you have apart from work is incredible. they are truly bankers hours at Northwest. And it truly is a community bank, you know all of your customers by name, and they know you too. A warm friendly place to work!
Pros
great hours
Cons
lower pay than average, no benefits for part time employees

Northwest Savings Bank Reviews by Location