Northwestern Energy Employee Review

View all Northwestern Energy reviews

Very hard to get hired, experience gained outside company is not recognized.
Lineman (Current Employee) –  Butte, MontanaMay 22, 2013
The general attitude is " All pay is the same!" Management is intimidated by knowledge and ambition. The concept of giving the customers the extra effort when their power is off eludes them!
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Hard to get hired unless you know someone, standards and ethics are very poor.

Other Northwestern Energy Employee Reviews

Great place
Dispatch/Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Black Eagle, MTJanuary 2, 2018
I worked for NorthWestern for six years. I only left because I moved across the country. It is very difficult to get in, jobs do not open up often. I have since changed careers.
benefits
Cons
job advancement not available
Trade good pay for poor work culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  MontanaDecember 9, 2017
Northwestern Energy has a STRONG tendency to hire and promote relatives as others have said. In some cases, up to 4 relatives in management. HOLY conflict batman. This results in managers that lack experience and skills. Combine that with low performers that don't receive discipline and you start to imagine the work culture.

The pay and benefits are good, especially for the area of the country, but the work culture is lacking. The IT and technology applications are severely behind the curve, and the pace of change is turtle slow.

There are LOTS of employees grinding it out to retirement because the pay and benefits are good. By grinding, I mean just do the job - no new ideas, no self imposed challenges, nothing extra, just do the job making as little noise as possible.

Most disturbing to me was fact that the company doesn't make business decisions in the interest of the rate payer - EVER. All decisions are reflective of the impact to the shareholder. Most companies have a true drive in decision making to cut expense. This company makes some feeble attempts at that, but in the end would much rather spend more and add the cost to rates than cause an impact to the shareholder or their stock price. It makes for good retirement packages I'm sure. Having worked for 3 utilities, I've seen the difference between those willing to work to control cost and this. Night and Day.

I'm a big believer in CHARMA, and it will come around eventually.

Anyway, not trying to steer anyone away, but be advised: the job is good for pay and bennies, but you won't be challenged
  more... or promoted based on skills and knowledge.  less
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Work environment and lack of challenge.