Northwestern Medical Center Employee Reviews

Good people but not great management
Wellness Coach/Registered Dietitian, (Full-time (Current Employee) –  St. Albans, VTJanuary 5, 2018
Love the people but management from many different departments make people dissatisfied. I loved my coworkers. The culture is changing and the hospital is growing which accounts for some of the dissatisfaction. It's a small hospital which is great for a sense of community-everyone knows your name but at times that leads to a buddy-buddy type of management which can work against some people
Great place to start in the medical field
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 26, 2017
I learned so much from working in the emergency room. Billing and coding, chart tear down. Assignment of rooms. The thrill of the fast paced environment.
Pros
Work 3 days off 4
Cons
Stress due to trauma in emergency room
Great co workers!
Registered Nurse - Family Birth Center (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTNovember 29, 2017
Love everyone who I work with. Management can be tricky, but it can be at every hospital. I want to relocate so that is my reasoning for leaving the hospital.
Nice community hospital
Nursing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTNovember 22, 2017
Small personal feel, not just a number. I have enjoyed my time here but hours are getting harder to come by. New construction is beautiful, large single patient rooms. Good management.
Great people
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTNovember 7, 2017
Staff is wonderful, management cares about the employees, schedules can be difficult but typical hospital problems. Beautiful new buildings! Parking is a very quick walk away from the main building.
Pros
great people
Cons
called frequently for OT
Great people!
Menu Host (Former Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTOctober 13, 2017
I would love to return . I have become the person I am because of NMC. I was taught how to be a better employee. I just can't say enough wonderful things about NMC. I see that it seems to be about me but truly they were the best place I worked for and I wish I could go back to show them my integrity.
Team player
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTJuly 20, 2017
A very positive work environment, everyone is always helping each other and working as a team. Excellent benefit packages and employee wellness programs, which have plenty of activities offered of many varieties. Earned time gives you so many hours each pay period worked, and others are able to donate time in case of emergency.

Still working on different pay levels for those that have been here longer or know how to do more. Need a way for merit based pay as most are getting the same raise even if they've earned to get more.
Pros
wellness programs, earned time always accruing, helpful team player coworkers
Cons
need to be dedicated, willing to sacrifice a lot of personal time, may know more but get same pay
Excellent place to work
Shift Administrator (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTJuly 20, 2017
I feel fortunate to have worked with such a great team of people, striving to provide excellent care and make a difference in their local community and beyond. The RiseVT Program at NMC is inspirational. There are so many opportunities for education, and community service available to employees of NMC and their family members. The benefits are excellent. Overall an exceptional experience.
Enjoyed the People
RN Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTJune 12, 2017
Loved the People
Loved the Culture
Loved the exercise room on site
Loved working with the front line staff to do process improvement
Loved working with Patient Relations and service recovery
Hardest part of the job was the long hours and commute
orientation and training; needed more time
Ma
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VT 05478May 23, 2017
I wasn't much of a fan working at this place. The other staff didn't help each other as much as they should and the staff was overworked for the amount of work they should have had.
Excellent place to work!!!
Family Nurse Practitioner/Urgent Care (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaMay 21, 2017
The culture and environment is focused on patient and community care. The organization as a whole is focused on retention and employee satisfaction. Awesome place to work!!
Great Benefits and good work life balance
Applications Analyst (Current Employee) –  St. Albans, VTDecember 30, 2016
For the most part working at NMC is a very positive experience. It is a great organization and there are some wonderful people who work there. The one thing I find frustrating is that when I have an idea I get shot down before I even get started. I get the message that, this is how we do things and do not try to question it. I am not sure if that is just in my department or if it is hospital wide. I would also like to get to know the senior management staff a bit better.
Pros
Benefits Galore!
Cons
Upper level managment not as accessible as other organizations I have worked at.
Dedicated staff and managers care about patients
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Albans, VTOctober 9, 2016
This is a small hospital with hard working staff who care about the patients. Some feel part of the "Family" and some do not. Doctors allowed to do what they want and they do, and everyone else have to follow Service Excellence Standards. Pay is lower than other Vermont hospitals across the board. Hardest part of the job is listening to leadership team demand "managing up", but they never manage anything up. It' always trouble when they visit our departments. The best part of the job is working with dedicated co-workers and caring for our community.
Pros
Staff work hard and care about patients
Cons
Top down leadership team
Great Rural Hospital
Director of Facilities Management (Former Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTAugust 16, 2016
NMC is a family of employees.

There are not a lot of "politics" in this organization.

They excel at the services that they provide and only provide those services at which they excell.
Pros
A real family atmosphere with caring people as a whole.
Cons
Somewhat low pay scale
Feels like family at NMC!
Staff (Current Employee) –  St. Albans, VTMay 5, 2016
NMC is a wonderful employer! Employees are friendly and caring and work together, no matter what department, to provide the best experience for patients and also each other. Benefits are rich and employees are valued. There are stressful days, as there are at any healthcare organization given the nature of the work, however having a strong team and management support is a wonderful buffer. Highly recommend joining the NMC family.
Enjoy patients
Unit Secretary Med Surg/ICU (Former Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTNovember 22, 2015
I would be sitting in the nurses station doing paperwork and contacting and providers needed in the ICU. Answering call bells and talking to patients was a job out of my day.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
stressful situations
just lost 6 nurses in 6 weeks, on one unit.
RN (Current Employee) –  FBCMarch 27, 2015
Nurses are burning out. Many of us require counselors and medications just to handle the chronic stress levels. Staffing is a major problem at times.
small hospital and great new, clean hospital
physician assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTSeptember 16, 2014
Northwestern is a small, quaint hospital in Northern Vermont. It was a good hospital, but I needed full-time employment and they were unable to offer me a full-time position at that time. I worked there part-time.
Great starter hospital
ICU/PCU Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTMay 1, 2014
Good starting point for any RN, must develop skills to work independently quickly, great staff support
friendly atmosphere, helpful and always smiling and willing to help others.
Certifed Clinical Medical Asst (Former Employee) –  st albans vermontJune 20, 2013
Northwestern is a VERY good place to work for. Great working relationships, helpful, friendly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Northwestern Medical Center Reviews by Location