Northwestern Medicine Employee Reviews

Interesting manangement staff, great location, wonderful hours
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 21, 2017
I've worked at Northwestern for almost 16yrs, and had the worst experience trying to transfer to another area within. Management is not reliable, and don't have their employees back. We work so hard and raises are so small. Not enough recognition from our superiors. Physicians talk to their staff any kind of way, as if they're working on a boat or assembly line.
Pros
Good insurance, job security
Cons
Management/physicians
up and down workplace (transport department)
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2017
Transporting at NM is very vital to the company throughout the day. Typical day at work consist of you meeting guest and getting them to and from where they need to go you have a teletracking system you have to learn in order to get information on a patient and they're where abouts. transporting can get difficult as well. you have 17 minutes to complete an call and also have to work with different types of work loads on each job you take. you can have an 7 minute job turn into 30 mins which you can be pentalized for. here is the hard part, that job you spent 30 mins on, you are expected to complete your next one fast so your time can average out. it works but the amount of work behind transporting isn't worth you risking your health but if you want your numbers accurate you have to bust your butt. The company its self is Great, don't get me wrong. Its the politics, and work ethics that helps you advance at NM. if you don't have both you wont make it
Pros
Holiday Bonus!!!! Great Enviroment Great People Great Exposure
Cons
under paid workers (EVS, Transport, Security Gaurds)
Northwestern is Great Place to Work!!
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glenview, ILSeptember 13, 2017
I love working at NM. Interacting with patients was the best thing.
I learned more about the health field dealing with patients on a hands- on experience. I would recommend this place for any new MA's joining the field.
Low Wages
Public Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winfield, ILSeptember 4, 2017
Pay is low and raises aren't that great. Insurance is expensive but I very much like working here. People are very nice and my manager is wonderful. Training is provided and always available.
Benefits
Cons
Low wages
Used to be a great department to work in
Financial Assessor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 1, 2017
It is great if you are part of the in crowd...otherwise advancement can be tough.Used to be a great place to work but when the old team lead became an Operations Coordinator in the Cash Applications department, there is a lack of communication, trust, respect of where Northwestern Medicine (NM) is going and lack of positive leadership. As a result, employees are stressed, morale is extremely low, and people are leaving.

Deceit. Repeatedly lying, not telling the truth, concealing the truth, deceiving others to get one’s way, and creating false hopes with no plans to fulfill them.

Withholding information. Intentionally withholding information from someone or giving them the wrong information.

Put employees against each other. Unnecessarily and deliberately putting employees against one another to drive competition, create conflict, or establish winners and losers; encouraging employees to turn against one another.
Cons
Minimal training, poor interdepartmental communication
Good experience
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2017
Poor pay. Job culture could use some work as well. Great work experience, decent benefits. You meet some great people. Not much room for advancement. Poor school reimbursement, and high turnover.
Great place to work at
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILAugust 28, 2017
Had an opportunity to work with great team of physicians. Loved working at this place. Pay was appropriate as well along with other benefits. The only reason I switched my work place was to gain different experience.
Not the best first nursing job experience
RN (Former Employee) –  Sandwich, ILAugust 23, 2017
Constantly got called off. Averaged about 60 hours a pay period. I would have stayed but had to pay my bills. Once I found other work I was given the hardest time ever by my charge nurse. It was like dealing with a 7 year old child. It was complete bullying and using her powers she had because she didn't like that I was leaving. Then to top it off management did not deal with it very professionally. If you want your house then definitely look for work elsewhere. The summers are very rough.
Pros
Cheap lunch, call is super easy
Cons
Bullying
Love the environment and a place you can grow in to become somethign special!
Housekeeping Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2017
Everything goes good in this place work wise. A place I can call home I been with for years. My whole family works here and are currently there. Setting is beautiful but again there is no structure its a little unorganized coming in to start. The union is okay but rarely sticks behind u 100%. The hardest part is finding what are you doing for the day but easiest is just working hard to get the day over with.
no omment
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILAugust 19, 2017
no comment. i arrive put in a full day and go home.
Good company low pay for work performed, I enjoy what I do and do it well. The hoursare good and atmosphere pleasant.
Great place to work!
Patient Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILAugust 19, 2017
I have worked at other customer service jobs and Northwestern Medicine is by far the best employer I have worked for. They have gone through some changes and are really giving their employees the time and the tools to be successful. Everyone has their own desk area, not the tiny gang cubicle I've been subjected to in the past. Part time employees (at least 20 hours per week) are eligible for insurance at a higher rate.
Pros
Part time insurance options; quiet, professional work environment
Cons
Minimal training, poor interdepartmental communication
Excellent place to work,decent benefits
Registration (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 4, 2017
My experience was amazing, great benefits, friendly environment. There were plenty of opportunities to learn and advance. I loved the contact with staff and patients.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No pension
Great Benefits, Difficult Management
Patient Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 4, 2017
Competitive pay, paid vacation and wonderful benefits. Management can be hard to work with. Very accommodating to Physicians, but that usually leaves the rest of the staff thrown under the bus.
Pros
Compensation & Benefits
Cons
Locatoin & Management
The work I do is fast paced.
Patient Access Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2017
I have worked at Northwestern for 16+ years. I have learned healthcare management, healthcare systems and have met many wonderful people there. I handle all work orders for the MRI department for all sites of the hospital.
Busy place to work
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILJuly 25, 2017
Working for Northwestern Medicine kept me busy and taught me a lot about the medical field. i am grateful for the experience. The hardest part of the job was the hours required each week. It was tough to balance school and work.
Pros
Great coworkers and benefits
Cons
Hours
Northwestern
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2017
It is great if you are part of the in crowd...otherwise advancement can be tough. While working there I did learn new systems but it is always a challenge when they switch over to a new process.
Good and bad, mostly good
Patient Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Winfield, ILJuly 6, 2017
Benefits are great. There is an atmosphere of confusion a lot of the time because of the continuous restructuring. As is the case anywhere, some managers are not effective bosses.
Benefits
Open office area downtown Chicago
Release of Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 17, 2017
This was an amazing space to work at with very outgoing coworkers. The environment was efficient but fun at times. There was time for both work and place. The people made the job so enjoyable.
Productive work place
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILJune 8, 2017
It is a great company to work for, it taught me a lot.
I learned just exactly what I wanted to do in life as the physicians and patients truly inspired me.
Pros
patient care
Cons
management
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 7, 2017
I work here just need extra income.This place is perfect and is very stable company.I highly reccomend working here.Yhis is also teaching hospital so there is room to grow.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval