Northwestern Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Productive and a great place to work
Technical Coordinator Molecular Biology (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 1, 2012
I am currently a Technical Coordinator for the Diagnostic Molecular Biology laboratory at Northwestern Memorial Hospital (NMH) managing eight people for 10 years. By obtaining my MBA from Loyola (Healthcare Management program) has helped me incorporate my skills and knowledge that I have gained in the program into the work place.
My first experience of supervisory duties happened when I was working at Illinois Masonic. My supervisor at that time gave me an opportunity on some supervisory duties such as ordering supplies, Quality Control, and writing standard operation of procedures (SOPs) while working on the benches full time. I then went to NMH where they have several levels of management (senior technologist, resource coordinator, technical coordinator, and manager.) My position at NMH was a medical technologist with no supervisory duties until a Senior Technologist position opened. I then became a senior technologist with the responsibilities of ordering supplies, charge edit reports (making sure the insurance companies are being charged correctly), and working full time on a bench. Two years later, I applied and became Resource Coordinator. My responsibilities involved the same as the senior technologist along with time cards, vacation and sick coverage, new test developments, LIS (laboratory Information System) computer upgrades for the pathology labs, SOPs, CAP (College of American Pathologist) inspection, weekly Quality Management and Quality Control, CODE MAP, and turn around times monitoring of lab tests. Few years later, I applied and became Technical Coordinator
  more... which is my current position. My duties as a Technical Coordinator involves the same as the resource coordinator with, in addition of working with the laboratories finance such as cost analysis with vendors, maintaining a budget for the laboratory each year by not exceeding the budget, performing yearly performance review with employees, and delegating tasks to staff.  less
Great work environment with amazing doctors and staff to help you advance your knowledge and skills.
OB/Gyn Sonographer (MFM) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2013
Going into this position at NMH I was new to the high risk OB setting and knew I had a lot to learn. But after I met all the MFM's, sonographers and management I knew I was in the right place. NMH is a teaching hospital so everyone was excellent with answering all my questions, assisting me with certain exams and procedures to help build my confidence so I could start doing things on my own. I learned to do invasive procedures, doppler exams, level 2 anatomical surveys, detailed heart views and multiple fetuses. I started taking call after about a year and permission from the medical director that all the physicians were comfortable with my knowledge and scanning abilities to be on my own. I've grown extremely close with everyone that I work with but unfortunately my family lives down in Florida and I want to move closer to them so I decided to leave Chicago and my hospital and make a new start in Florida. The hardest part of my job is having to inform the doctors and patients of a problem or anomaly involving their fetus. It is a part of my job so sometimes I have to just take a moment before going back into the room and maintain professionalism at all times. However, the most enjoyable part of my job is getting to show the new parents to be their baby. It's so exciting to see their faces when you show them the gender, let them hear the heart beat, and telling them that everything looks great. It is so rewarding!
Pros
no weekends or holidays, great insurance, amazing facility and staff
Cons
cut backs on vacation days and no sick days
What the heck?!?!?
PCT (Current Employee) –  ChicagoOctober 1, 2012
Loved working here as a new hire but as the yrs have gone by (and the CEO's have changed), this hospital has gone to the dogs. I don't know HOW this place continues to be considered "#1" on these commercials. I laugh everytime I hear it. How did this place get magnet status? I'm willing to bet my life that somehow, it was paid for "under the table". I don't believe the general public is aware of how this institution treats its employees. They have just frozen the pension and the new employees will NOT receive a pension pkg. Who in their right mind wants to work for an institution where no there's no pension?!? You now have to buy short-term disability insurance. They've also lessened the amount of paid time off hours accrued per pay period. There's no supplemental overtime pay anymore either. Tuition reimbursement has lessened. They've removed all the nurses aids from the night shift and have not increased nursing staff so if you need help and your nurse is far away in another room with another patient, TOO BAD FOR YOU! You'll have to wait or try and do it yourself. There is absolutely NO incentive to work/stay employed here. As long as upper management gets their 6 or 7 digit bonus, all is right in the world. It kills me how they walk around (whenever you DO see them)grinning like everything's alright. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to be employed but I will definitely be seeking another hospital to work for who cares for their employees just as much as we care for our patients. I WOULD THINK TWICE ABOUT COMING ON BOARD HERE...
Pros
met some very nice staff members during my time here
Cons
the ppl holding the upper management positions...they have to go!

Comment – November 18, 2012

i appreciate the open honesty im a cna in school for nursing and was going to apply at northwestern though i live in the suburbs due to it being held in such high regards..

Productive and interesting place to work
Graduate Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2015
I was able to design experiments in order to attain an objective. I would typically come in at around nine and begin to research my assignment. Specifically, I researched many protein pathways, and how individual pathways affected different cellular processes. I would then identify what exact procedures I would need to perform to attain useful results. This included possible materials I would ever need, from start to end, and possible collaborating labs who may be able to help me in attaining reagents. I collaborated often with my colleagues and would talk things over with them about the most pragmatic way to approach each project. They were all very willing to help and to share their knowledge about lab procedures.

The management, my PI specifically was very understanding and helpful in regards helping me approach a problem. He was always open to talking it over with me, and putting things into perspective. He was understanding when everything did not work well the first time and would often offer advise. The most difficult part of the job was to optimize processes for the cleanest data. This was a critically important part of the job but it often involved running the same experiments repeatedly in order to develop the best process. The most enjoyable part was to analyze what the results I attained really meant on a bigger picture scale, and what they might mean going forward.
High demanding quality on all equipment operations for Medical training and media events
AV Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IlJanuary 1, 2015
5 am review all daily events for 5 buildings
Classes and events scheduled from 7 am to 9 pm
Educating Doctors and presenters on operation of equipment in smaller rooms
8 am Operated Large conferences most days till 5 pm
Schedule equipment and events up to 2 weeks in advance during down times
Control purchasing cost and equipment types
Consult on conversion of major ballrooms to be fully automated
Supervise and operated all installations
Systems were dual operable by single presenter or operator controlled for up to 50+ presenters
Overseen by Department Director and sales personnel
Reviewed daily on all operations and equipment failures in over 100 rooms
Co-workers motivated and supported by management to daily needs
Self taught as equipment evolved and shared operational insights
Enjoyable part was seeing long conferences end on time s
without technical glitches
Handing and installing state of the art automated AV systems
Exposure to all the latest equipment and evaluating need
Management support and respect for our opinions in all events
Support for large installation and purchasing
Pros
hands on all the latest av, webcast, teleconference and recording equipment. operation of crestron, amx and cisco systems with upgrades based on our input.
Cons
system downtime till repair. substituting equivalent equipment .
Very professional and using new techniques and products due to the large research department they have
Nurse Clinician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2012
I work with Electrophysiologists that are Cardiologists that specialize in the patients rhythms of their hearts.
We see patients in clinic and I do a lot of teaching especially with scheduling patients for a defibrillator insertion, ablations, or other electrophysiology tests to monitor the patients heart rate and rhythm.
I triage patients questions and symptoms via the telephone, MyChart a secure website between Northwestern and the patient, and walk in patients.
I call patients with results of tests,
I see patients in the nursing clinic usually these patients are having symptoms due to an abnormal heart rhythm.
I work closely with the device nurses that check patients pacemakers and defibrillators.
I like reviewing the patients holter monitors or event monitors that records the patients heart rhythm for 24 hrs to 30 days.
I like that they separate the EP Nurse Clinicians from general cardiologists nurses. The EP Nurse Team works well as a team and are helpful if you have questions. We cover for each others patients if needed.
Pros
learning opportunities since it is a teaching hospital, they do a lot of research, they have patients that come from all over the country
Cons
location far from my home
One Of The Best Hospital
PFS Financial Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 18, 2012
I worked in the ER as a Financial Associate.registering patients and gathering demographics and insurance information.My co-workers were the best group you would ever want to work with.Our immediate shift coordinator was the greatest person to work under,She was always there.and called back in the evening to check on everybody.However her boss, our manager was NOT quite as supportive.There was not one person she called in the office came back out smiling.She would take advantage of her position and say as I was told by the individuals some of the cruelest things behind close door when they couldn't prove to anyone.As far as the benefits and healthcare they were extremely generous.I would return in a moment as long as i didn't have the same manager.I don't think that would happen because management sticks together and you are marked for at least 5 years so I'm told.If you can get any job there,please take it if for no more than the experience.It was a confidence builder for me.The doctors,nurses,ancillary staff are second to none.
Pros
great work place
Cons
poor management in some departments.
I worked for Northwestern for around 12 years
Sonographer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2015
I worked here for 12 years and it started out great back in the late 90's but mid 2000's it started turning into a poorly managed place. My co-workers were nice but after a while it seemed that management almost played us against each other and did not promote a team environment. There is a lot of turn over. They fire, get rid, of de-incentivise the seasoned techs/workers and bring in new grads because they're cheaper. They do not show ANY appreciation for hard and good work or for loyalty and years of work there, commitment.. Patients were always very happy with me and doctors were always satisfied with my work but management was rude and unappreciative. My good and hard work never amounted to anything when it came time for evaluations and raises.... would no longer recommend working here. It's Sad..I used to love working there the first few years...
Pros
I did learn a lot when I worked there, particularly the first couple years.
Cons
Never received any positive feedback from management, felt treated like a robot.
A Great Place to Work
Catering Associate/Lead Trainer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 25, 2012
Typically, I love getting up ready to start my day at Northwestern Memorial. I've learned alot out of the 18 years I've been working there, and have met alot of associates. I've learned that your job is what you make it. Management on the other had in the Department I worked in aren't really considerate when it comes down to working with family or life issues, not that they are challenging issues , just general issues such as your child being ill or death in the family. They also don't appreciate all the work you do and how well you do your job. There was nothing challenging about my work because I loved my job and loved doing what I do best which is helping people. That is the most enjoyable part of my job, helping people that can't help themselves or even just people in general that needs direction and someone to talk to about anything they choose. Overall, I love people. I'm a very nice outgoing, generous, helpful, kind, courteous, peaceful, great person to be around.
Upward struggling, weary eyed management = disillusioned staff
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 7, 2012
I learned all that Northwestern Memorial could teach of patient care within the span of one year. It took some time for the neonatal management to acknowledge to potential of the Bunnell jet ventilator but not with out considerable cost. The respiratory staff are very hardworking and integrate fluidly with other disciplines. The management is usually too busy building shrines of themselves to be genuinely concerned of patient and worker well being. The careerism perpetuates a revolving door of burned out practitioners. With in a month you can see the writing on the wall as management dodges difficult questions and backs into passe platitudes. Even management falls, or is occasionally thrown, on their sword, but usually at the cost of coveted resources.
Pros
i liked the location and the friends i made.
Cons
uppers often resort to passe casuistries in worship of self.
Great Academic Health Network to grow as a professional and an expert in your field.
Compliance Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 5, 2014
Work with leadership within various departments to assist in the implementation and monitoring of processes to ensure compliance with federal and statutory regulations. I have learned about the operational functions of both the hospital setting as well as the smaller physician clinics. Management changed frequently, so learning to adapt to the different work products was a challenge in and of itself. I had a great relationship with my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was learning the operational aspects of the organization without much guidance. I enjoyed the overall ability to grow as a compliance professional and learned how to productively manage those who need appropriate guidance.
Pros
big organization, a lot of material to learn, constant change.
Cons
different management personalities, deviation from project objectives
Exciting.high energy place to work
Medical Records Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2012
Enjoyable and sometimes mixed with uncertain expectations that prompt you to resolve whatever problems that could occur from day to day. Cross reference (patient medical records) , multi-facility cases with inpatient medical records, to expedite the completion of a patient's admission and provide optimum care needs, Working with the department heads/committees to streamline and improve the process of patient care needs and promoting the services of each department and medical center. I enjoyed working with the director and co-workers. Tracking down stragglers (emergency room reports) after you have received the batch for a patients date of visit.
Being of apart of a group of people who enjoyed and took part of helping each other and establishing a fun rapport with the medical staff and other ancillary staff.
Pros
facilitating staff meetings, obtaining employee feedback.
Hard place to work for.
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2016
Surgical technologist my day began at 0700. Change and See assignment for the day. Gather equipment and set up for surgery. Depending on surgery, I was scrubbed in till lunch usually 12 noon or 1300. after an hour lunch, scrubbed in and didn't get relieved till 1530. If I was on call didn't leave till surgery was completed. Surgeons are tough some more than others. Circulators were helpful but sometimes not very pleasant to work with. Spine/ortho manager was NOT a team player. Only looked out for herself! Other top management only cared for themselves. Felt I was a body doing the necessary job. NOT a Fun environment at all. MORE like a cattle call environment. Do one surgery and hurry up and get the next patient in to do the next. Horrible business to work for.
Pros
1 hour lunch and pay is higher than other hospitals because you work long hard hours
Cons
Employees not treated well
My time at Northwestern provided me with opportunities and challenges a girl that grew up it public housing could not imagine
STAFF NURSE (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2015
Staff Nursing is challanging and very day has its challenges
I went from a new grad to a experience RN offered many job opportunities Unfortunately the Institutions Mission and value system changed. As in all work places co workers varied in level of committment by as I focused on growing and learning as much as I could and developing a support system of coworkers that felt the same
The work hard is one I rarely use it sounds negative I prefer most challanging and that was taking call after regular shift and weekends with four other staff members. I never worked less than 100 hours in a two week pay period
Pros
the opportunity to care for and work with the most interesting people
Cons
staff nurses are not viewed a an independant service and should be salaried
Job Summary
Sterile Tech (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2012
My job consist of setting up Surgical trays to be sterilized and preparing for next or same day surgeries, Management was great i have learned a lot about what is put into preparing for surgery and what the doctor's have to do to prepare and what our role was to make sure that they have the necessary items they need to do their surgeries and what is interesting is what i have experience is watching the talents of the doctor when we were lacking certain instruments the skills they use to substitute for lack of tool it was amazing, so the rewarding thing was to experience that part of something that i had limited experience in and got to learn it , that was the rewarding part the part i didn't enjoy was working Nights at that time i was well adjusted to working days and evenings.
Pros
learning the sterilization field and working with a good staff
Cons
working nights at that time
Productive and a learning place to work
Float Pool Med/Surge RN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2015
I gained vast knowledge in nursing field working as a Float Pool RN at Northwestern Medical Center.I was new graduate then,very enthusiastic,energetic, had a thirst for knowledge and thrive to dynamic and challenging environment.I could compare myself to sponge, in keeping to absorb new knowledge as I came to meet them everyday during my tour of duty.

I was being assigned to different floors. It really needs a flexibility,strong stamina and willing to get thrown to different areas in nursing sub specialty, to take a Float Pool RN job, especially at Northwestern. It was very fast face that time,busy and tough role but there's always a new thing to learn which was very rewarding to me.
Pros
I got to learn and experienced new clinical knowledge from all level of clinical and medical staff.
Cons
tough job but still very rewarding...
Professional Environment which Offers a Wealth of Learning Opportunities
Accounts Payable Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2014
The A/P Department works closely with Purchasing to dispurse funds from vendors and other clients associated with the organization. The A/P process is PO driven and requires 100%accuracy for successful dispursements. There is an ample amount of problem-solving associated with the position which offers a healthy challenge to learn the ins and outs of the software. (PeopleSoft)

The environment is quiet and hassle-free which offeres the concentration needed to execute responsibilities associated with the position. The Management team openly welcomes suggestions from employees that would improve current processes.

Although this is a contract position, I would be delighted at an opportunity to stay long-term.
Pros
employee appreciation
Cons
not applicable
Not a great place to work.
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2013
A typical day of work is everyone trying to work out of their scopes trying to run to these residents to seem the brightest. It is a lot of back stabbing people who hate to see anyone excel. Management is not so supportive to help you through anything because the hospital is going through so many changes EVERYONE has potential to throw one under the bus to preserve their own jobs. The only people really happy here are the Residents because they can do what ever they like including come up with a patient care plan to possible kill a patient but ultimately bring in money for the hospital which is the hospitals goal. Their slogan should be money first instead of patient first.
Pros
great patients.
Cons
working at northwestern memorial hospital, expecting to be treated like a part of the care team for the patients.
Corporate machine
Information Technology (Current Employee) –  ChicagoAugust 3, 2012
While I am thrilled with my compensation, I could definitely deal without the political nonsense. Lots of policies and procedures, but not a lot of enforcement. Layoffs are pretty common and in the IT department turnover is high. The leadership isn't great, they don't really seem to care about their employees, they just care about the bottom line. Do more with less. They definitely do not practice "Patients first" It should read, "Executives First." I have trouble having faith in a company that gives their CEO 10 million dollars and then starts cutting jobs a couple of years later. It'd be interesting to see an investigation about corporate integrity at the executive level.

To get promoted you have to know the right person.
Pros
compensation
Cons
political nightmare, leadership
Good experience
Registered Nurse, Transplant/Hepatology Unit (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 24, 2014
I will say working at Northwestern was a good experience starting out my career. I like working at a teaching hospital, but there were also many challenges. Nurses did not get paid well, and they were over worked. I like the challenge of multi tasking but it is difficult for many new grads starting out in the nursing field. I would be long gone if it wasn't for my wonderful coworkers that I work with on my floor. My unit itself is very challenging. There are many shifts were I could not eat lunch for a whole 12 hours but knowing that I had amazing help from my coworkers really helped me through those tough shifts.
Pros
co-workers are my second family, patient population, teaching hospital
Cons
hard to get out on time, hardly had a chance to take a break, low pay