Northwestern Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Top Notch Regional & National Hospital. High Effort, High Rewards
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2017
A large and busy professional medical inpatient environment; often hectic, demanding; professional demeanor is expected of medical as well as administrative staff. Attractive physical environment, excellent pay and benefits.
NW overall
Senior Phlebotomist/Lab Tech /Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 15, 2016
NW has a great reputation with the public and nationwide, It offers great salaries and they will help you grow in your field.
Pros
Great campus, salary, great coworkers!
Cons
management leaves you out of the loop, causing low moral. Downtown traffic and getting to work can be stressful.
Good Place to Work
Medical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 19, 2016
A great environment with work-life balance and excellent benefits. Lots of room for growth, experienced managers, and dedicated colleagues.
Productive, Fun, Professional
Collection Agent, CNA (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2016
Beautiful campus, genuinely caring nursing and physician staff, good balance of a community hospital feel and its academic big brother UW Medicine, very high patient satisfaction ratings and personalized care. I have worked here for almost a year, there's good advancement opportunity. Medical benefits are great! The current executive director is exceptional.
Productive Workplace
Iron Chef Contestant, Jet Tilas (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2016
In early ready to accomplish scheduled menus. Experience in all area of the kitchen and worked in cook chill area. Learned and excelled with help from management advised and skilled experiences. Great co-workers. Hardest part of the job was being laid off. Most enjoyed working with this hospital.
Pros
Great Benefits
Very busy, organized office with excellent, skilled staff.
Northwestern Medicine OB/GYN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2016
Work days were Monday-Friday 8am-5pm. Early morning tasks included, daily tray or table set up for routine exams as well as stocking. Collecting information about the patient before they showed for there appointment was very important for time management. Patients appointments generally opened from 8:30am-4:30pm. Through out that time as a Medical Assistant I would room and triage the patient for the Doctor, doing my best to make sure the schedule ran smoothly. I personal enjoy working in "controlled Chaos" I loved the busy environment and the excellent staff who were so helpful and kind. Everybody there including myself took pride in the office and their respective positions.
Very stressful environment
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Neurology/ neurosurgeryJanuary 31, 2017
Challenging and sometimes rewarding, very stressful, co-workers great but sometimes everyone too busy to have time to help one another, poor management, High turnover, always training new nurses, lack of forum to discuss concerns, administration more concerned with spending money on physical appearance of facility than having well trained, competent staff, lack of collaboration between departments, poor morale, feeling overworked and under appreciated, sometimes going home wishing you could have done more for patients but didn't have enough time or help.
Pros
Great teamwork
Cons
Overworked
Difficult place to work because the place is revolving door working place.
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2016
favoritism when its come to to workload distribution.
Management are very discriminative when its comes to dicision making.
Co-worker looking for way to get you fire for promotion purpose.
Most enjoyable part of the job were : New good technology equipments, very fast pace working environment to learn new things, if you worked there for six months you can work any where else easily.
A all around great company to work for.
Patient Escort (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2017
I work in the transportation department. I basically run around al over the campus picking up patients and taking them to testing areas or back to their room. Also I am responsible for their well being while they are in my care. I learned that everyone definitely have their own problems going on but that shouldn't have any bearing on how they are treated. They deserve respect just like you and I. No one chooses to be sick or hurt and I am proud to say that I am respectful as well as nice and helpful to everyone I encounter throughout my day. The hardest part of my job is completing each call within seventeen minutes. The campus is huge and sometimes that time limit just isn't doable because very situation is very different.
Great academic institution.
RN, Cardiothoracic/Transplant ICU (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 10, 2016
Great, cutting edge to hospital to work for. Compensation is rather poor. Typical nursing day is 12 hour days with high acuity patients. The hardest part of the job is the acuity of the unit. Most enjoyable is the young population of employees.
Amazing team work in an outgoing enviroment
Sr. Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 13, 2017
Processed financial assistance applications in the Self Pay Department. Maintain the hospital’s tax exempt status. Insurance follow up with all payers. Obtain approvals to adjust large balances. Assisted the Call Center and Financial Counseling Departments. Worked on special projects to maximize productivity and decrease aging reports/receivables.
Pros
My coworkers and my patients were wonderful people.
Cons
Downtowsn Chicago's parking is difficult to find and expensive.
Northwestern hospital
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 27, 2017
Balance a daily bank of $500.00 per day & daily deposits
Handle all walk in patients with concerns of billing questions and insurance. Answering inbound calls anywhere from 60-100 per day. review claims that have been processed thru insurance to ensure that they have been billed correctly. The hardest thing about the job is make sure every patient is satisfy with the results. The most enjoyable part of this is knowing that I have a great atmosphere to work in
Productive, challenging and energetic environment.
Corporate Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 23, 2016
Super high paced energetic job with many different levels of sales and marketing opportunities inside the hospital and outside the hospital community. A typical day would be organizing and implementing a detailed strategic sales plan to increase overall referral volume for six different departments. I earned a great deal from this job, time management, the importance of relationship building, internal and external customer service. My co-workers and I relied on each other and worked as a team each with their collective roles. The hardest part of the job was making budget every quarter, but with the team working heavily together we made the numbers. The most enjoyable were those high pressure times when everyone pulled together to make the goals happen, its very rewarding to see your hard work come through.
Pros
Lunch and learn meetings provided a sense of community.
Cons
Short training programs.
I worked for Northwestern for around 12 years
Sonographer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2015
I worked here for 12 years and it started out great back in the late 90's but mid 2000's it started turning into a poorly managed place. My co-workers were nice but after a while it seemed that management almost played us against each other and did not promote a team environment. There is a lot of turn over. They fire, get rid, of de-incentivise the seasoned techs/workers and bring in new grads because they're cheaper. They do not show ANY appreciation for hard and good work or for loyalty and years of work there, commitment.. Patients were always very happy with me and doctors were always satisfied with my work but management was rude and unappreciative. My good and hard work never amounted to anything when it came time for evaluations and raises.... would no longer recommend working here. It's Sad..I used to love working there the first few years...
Pros
I did learn a lot when I worked there, particularly the first couple years.
Cons
Never received any positive feedback from management, felt treated like a robot.
Progressive, fresh work environment
Staff Nurse- Cardiac/Transplant ICU (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2016
Northwestern is a great place to work for new nurses since there is a relatively young nursing work force that is willing to teach. There is a great relationship and a lot of respect between nurses, doctors, therapists, social workers, and management. However, There is a lot of turnover of nursing and management, which can make the job difficult at times.
Pros
Young, ambitious, adaptable, positive nurses
A Productive place to work
Catering Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 21, 2016
I loved working at Northwestern I was able to learn and grow. Team work we helped each other. I got vacation days, great pay great benefits.
Pros
Great benefits excellent place to grow
Cons
no complaints
great
Pre service specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago illinoisNovember 30, 2016
Great place and benefit. room for imrovement. Management isn't all that great. Northwestern is one of the top 10 hospital to work for in chicago. it was a priviledge to work there
very productive and fun
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2017
I really enjoyed working here you meet so many people and I learn so much about healthy food and food that's not good for you when you sick.I hade to prep meals check trays made sure diet was right on the tray before it was delivered to patient room made sure work area stayed clean.
Great place
Prentice Women's Hospital- Ante/Postpartum RN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2017
Professional, well known health care facility with top notch staff, MDs and ancillary staff. Plenty of room to grow, expand, flexible - and a wealth of learning opportunities.
Pros
Great place
overall experience
Oncology Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 8, 2016
I love where I work and I have learned so much not just from my coworkers but from my patients and families. Working with such a hard population has shown me to not only be a better nurse but a better person. Work is very rewarding and although can be a challenge has shown me how to provide excellent care. My co workers make work a great place to be as well as we rely a lot on each other during night shift.
Pros
my coworkers and patients
Cons
lack of support on night shift

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

91%