Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Employee Reviews in United States

A lot of work for minimal pay
Intern (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 18, 2016
As a student, you are required to attend a weekly meeting at 7:30 AM and a small group coaching session. That isn't asking too much, but you also have to call as many people as possible and set outside meetings weekly or you were considered as "failing" at requirements. Taking on a full semester and spending countless hours trying to call, pester, and beg for meetings for $100 a week just didn't add up for me. Not to mention, once you finally sold a policy, it took weeks for you to ever see any of the money. So if you are trying to pay for rent and go to school, you need a second job that pays $10 an hour.
Pros
$100 a week for showing up to weekly meeting
Cons
A lot to take on during a semester
Incredible work environment
Sales Representative Intern (Former Employee) –  Zionsville, INMarch 30, 2016
Incredible fun work environment. Independent schedule. Hardest part was picking up the phone when you are in a slump and no one is answering.
Well run company with a great culture and a success mentality
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Moosic, PAJanuary 25, 2016
Great company to work for if you enjoy the sales process. Great working environment and almost total control over daily schedule. Eat what you kill mentality, completely commission based pay. If you make a lot of sales, you will make a lot of money. If you do not make sales, you do not get paid. Early stages of career focus on life and disability insurance sales which can be a challenging market for a young college graduate.
Pros
Great amount of autonomy. Friendly, helpful, and competitive workforce. High potential earnings
Cons
No production = no paycheck
Indepenent Contractor
FINANCIAL REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 26, 2015
Major Fortune 500 Company. Great corporate culture in a fast paced environment. Work centers around daily phoning session to set up a weekly quota for meetings. Job is heavily expected to produce ongoing new clients while meeting continual education requirements which merit contractor to sell more complex financial products.
Pros
strong corporate network to help new employees
Cons
employee must produce a continual stream of clients
sales job
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Brewster, NYJune 18, 2014
Sold Contacted clients and potential clients.

• Prepared and executed presentations,

• Wrote up policies according to clients’ needs and within government regulations,

• Delivered policies and provided clients with follow-up information as needed.
Pros
made your own hours
Cons
only got paid when you sold policies
Life and Health Insurance Agent
College Agent Intern/Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 6, 2013
As a college agent, I experienced true management skills of a business, managing my own business, selling to a wide array of different clients and importance of production. The skills I learned here have launched my entire sales career.
Wonderful Company
Mailroom Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 25, 2012
I Loved working at this company, but I was terminated for something that should have been presented to me before hire. It saddened me to work 6 months 3 weeks and 3 days I believe. It was right at my probationary period ending. I almost made it.
Pros
stable company, good benefits, and nice evironment