Northwestern Mutual

Northwestern Mutual Employee Reviews

Friendly place to work with experts in various areas of financial planning
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 12, 2016
Being contracted for Northwestern Mutual is a demanding yet rewarding career opportunity.

A typical day will last from 7:30a to 7:30p for newer financial representatives. Dialing prospects to schedule meetings takes place from 9a to 10a. I have learned much about the insurance and financial industry in my time with Northwestern Mutual studying for the Life/Health Insurance exam and preparation for the Series 6 FINRA exam. The office is located in Grandview Yard and has a wonderful view of downtown. Colleagues are all very friendly and willing to help. As a new representative, they recommend that a majority of the meetings you take be done with a joint work partner so that you have added benefit of and expert alongside.

The work-life balance can be challenging at times. As a financial representative, you are building your own business. This work is time consuming and can be rather stressful. Income is based on a decision that prospective clients make to incorporate a product or service that Northwestern Mutual offers. This is a not a fee based planning firm.
Pros
Reputable firm that has been around for over 150 years, expertly allocated portfolios, representatives from diverse backgrounds and ages
Cons
Comission makes income unpredictable, phoning is stressful
Temporary
Winter Intern (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 10, 2016
Great company to work for, the people are smart, encouraging and respectful. I love sales and I'm seeking an opportunity that involves more of the arts, retail fashion, or creative type field.
Pros
great environment, positive people
Best in the business - Not for everyone
Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 29, 2016
If you are going to work in this industry, this is the company to do it with. They expect results, but they give you all of the necessary tools. It can take a great deal out of you if you aren't prepared for the endless phone calls and rejections.
Pros
Unlimited income potential
Cons
Anyone, anywhere you go, is a potential client
Disorganized
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2016
This specific location was very lenient when it came to scheduling which is both great but also very bad. With out much guidance you are thrown in blind and need to hustle to get new clients. Although everyone who worked there was very friendly and seemed like a little family, it was hard coming in when you aren't referred by a current employee. Your day will be calling prospective for a few hours then setting up meetings and going out to meet with them. What they need to do during the interview is reiterate that it is solely based off commission.
Interesting enviornment
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJanuary 28, 2016
My boss created his own schedule and set up meetings with clients on his own time. I strived to work under a similar situation.
Pros
Free training
Cons
Fun workplace with friendly co-workers and increcible learning opportunites
Financial Representative Internship (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJanuary 25, 2016
Working at Northwestern Mutual taught me how to be effective with time management, customer relationship management, and sales. The support I received from my boss and my co-workers allowed me to become the most effective new intern for the summer out of a group of 6.
Sell Or Starve
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2016
only the best , most persistent, and goal oriented people make it to working one year here. once you have your client base then it all begins to fall into place.
Pros
high comission
Cons
if you dont sell you starve
challenging position for the right person at the right time
Director of Selection (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 21, 2016
As a Financial Representative at Northwestern Mutual I met with individuals, families, and businesses in the Sacramento area and helped them mitigate risk, accumulate wealth, and plan long term.
Tough but rewarding
Assistant Director of New Business (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTJanuary 20, 2016
NWM was a fun work environment. Although the work was somewhat difficult, the atmosphere kept the employees going. We also had various speakers come in to further motivate us.
Pros
foozeball table
Cons
lack of office space
A very productive learning experience
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAJanuary 17, 2016
Typical day was 9-5.
I learned the importance of money management and so much more.
My co-workers were very knowledgeable and helpful in any situation.
The hardest part of the job is getting into contact with a client to sit and meet with you.
The most enjoyable was filling the client with very useful information.
excellent company
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2016
all commission
balance with work/life
provides you with your intentional lifestyle
love the people I work with
nights/weekends
Pros
awesome people
Cons
all commission
Fast paced uncertain work environment
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 11, 2016
Extremely fast paced environment. Commission based salary made for long weeks with no pay. Management was spectacular.
Summary
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 8, 2016
Great place to get your feet wet in the industry as well as the professional workplace. Keeps you extremely busy inside and outside of work. Always either working on or in your practice. People were great, however there was major room for improvement in the culture of the office.
Pros
Set your own hours
Cons
Little to no time to be outside of your practice
Strong team work enviroment
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 7, 2016
Possibly the best career for certain individuals but very difficult to make it in the first few years. Great career but wasn't for me
Fun workplace with independent contractor.
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIJanuary 6, 2016
Small local group who did landscaping work within metro Detroit areas. Learned to do blue collar work in a team environment efficiently.
Temporary but very enjoyable
Administrative/Receptionist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILJanuary 5, 2016
Though this was a temporary job until we moved from IL to AZ, I was able to pick up the responsibilities quickly and perform the job without any micro-managing.

I was well like and perform the job well. The previous employee in this position did not perform well so I received many compliments. In fact, if we had stayed in IL, they would have offered me a full-time position at their firm.
nice company love the culture
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJanuary 4, 2016
Overall it was a great experience just wasn't the right job for me. It requires a high degree of salesmanship. I unfortunately do like sales. if you have the personality for it then you will excel.
Pros
great training, mentoring, company culture
Cons
cold calls
Provide financial security to clients
Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 2, 2016
This was a great learning experience, however I was not as effective because of the extreme reliance on one's own market. We had to contact everyone we knew in our warm market to set up meetings and hopefully turn them into clients. I did not like the sales part of the job.
Pros
Time flexible, great incentives for top performance
Cons
Commission, a lot of dialing, job security
A great experience but not a good fit.
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 30, 2015
Northwestern Mutual is a great insurance company. The people I worked with were very good people but they wanted me to be a life insurance salesman and that's not a good fit for me. I wanted to be a financial advisor or financial analyst and that is not what they needed. A great experience but not a good fit.
NM
IT Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIDecember 30, 2015
Learned a lot here, good amount of trail by fire. Work environment is fun and laid back. Management is good and technology is on the cutting edge due to technology leadership.