Northwestern Mutual Employee Reviews

Productive environment
Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 20, 2018
Great mentors and interactive team members to make sure office runs smoothly. Great use of technology to stay organized and connected with other offices
Worked as an assistant to a financial representative
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 20, 2018
I worked for over a year for a financial representative at Northwestern Mutual. Everything about the job was fair and I enjoyed the work. Management was supportive and helped me learn the skills I needed to succeed. The culture was very friendly and inviting. The hardest part of my job was that it was difficult for me to advance without becoming a financial representative myself. Since I didn't want to take the risk of a commission-only job, I felt stuck in my advancement and so I decided to move on after I finished my college degree.
Pros
My manager offered a lot of weekly perks - gift cards, bonuses, etc.
Cons
It was difficult to find an avenue to advance with the expertise that I gained there.
Amazing company, but compensation based
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 19, 2018
This agency that I worked at provided a great amount of sales training and helped prepare you for the world of prospecting. However, this is a very competitive industry and you have to be able to prospect to keep your business alive.
High pace culture / energetic
Manager, Finance and Business Operations (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 15, 2018
high energy

highly professional

learned to better time manage through preparation and planning

tools and resources readily available to learn and improve in job responsibilities
Great Job
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 15, 2018
I enjoyed my time there. It is a great office environmental. The people are very professional and helpful. I highly recommend working for Northwestern Mutual.
Great Opportunity
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 15, 2018
Takes GRIT.

Commission only.

Hard work pays here. The ticket to a Seven Figure income for the one who is able to grind it out through to the top.

Awesome company.
Good Place to work
AWS/DevOps Engineer (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WIFebruary 15, 2018
Interesting work, a company that promotes from within, nice coworkers, good wellness and benefits, convenient location.Opportunity to learn about the company and who they help, High ups listen to employees ideas and potentially implement those ideas.
Great place to work with great people
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 14, 2018
Great place to work with great people, typical day involved acquiring clients and setting meetings.
Culture and management was great
hardest part of the job is creating your own business
the most enjoyable part of the job is creating your own business.
Not a Great Experience
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILFebruary 14, 2018
Was a high demanding, stressful experience. Sales on commission position that encouraged you to use all your personal connections to recruit people to the company. There are some good people and some bad people that work there. A lot of gossip and favoritism. The amount of pressure is out of control. I would not recommend anyone going to this company. Also, the turnover is huge. About 5% of the people I knew from my time there are still there. The people that recruited me and helped my career have also moved on.
Like career suicide
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTFebruary 14, 2018
If you are a financially licensed and you think of leaving for Northwestern it is career suicide.
Great firm reputation. Impossible to make sustainable money.
Hidden licensing fees and "mandatory" training draining more funds.
Good leadership, with advancement opportunity.
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 13, 2018
Northwestern Mutual was a strong company, that had good upper level leadership. I found that the culture was not aligned with my strengths, and decided that I wanted to work somewhere that valued innovation and creativity.
Pros
Training
Cons
Limited accountability
Good Place
FINANCIAL REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIFebruary 13, 2018
Good opportunity for me if I was coming out of College. Wrong Place at my current Career timetable. Enjoyed the work, but needed more pay at the time of my life consistently.
Terrible
Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 13, 2018
I did not like northwestern mutual. i did not like working there. the people we're only interested in making money and pushing expensive whole like insurance policies.
Most Challenging Job
Financial/Business Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 12, 2018
Great location and work culture. It is a very challenging work, with long hours and lots of knowledge coming at you. You will spend a majority of your week at the office, but you have a great support system from the veteran advisors. However, management needs work.
Pros
Unlimited Potential
Cons
False promises about first year commissions, long hours, low pay.
bad
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 12, 2018
Was an awful experience can be summarized in one phrase: pyramid scheme the rich get richer and the poor continue to starve. Overall an awful job to start out a career in the financial planning world.
Great Training
Financial Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILFebruary 12, 2018
Great Training but only to work her as a resume booster. Need to generate your own leads. Primarily sell life insurance and do not like it when you try to broker and use other companies.
productive environment
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 12, 2018
Stressful environment if you aren't hitting your weekly expectations for number of meetings you set. They teach you to build your business through your personal network and can be uncomfortable asking family and friends to buy life insurance from you.
Good
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 11, 2018
very hgih paced working enviorment where you talk to alot of people throughout the day and you must make alot of phone calls to potential clients and set up meeings.
Don't get thrown to the lions.
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSFebruary 9, 2018
Lack of training on financial products but pretty of role-playing to teach you how to get referrals for more reps to replace you. Quick to tell you to bug your family and friends for insurance sales. If you can gather your own leads and work a ton to make a very inconsistent pay-check, maybe this is for you.
Traditional Mutual Company with Innovative Client Technology
Practice and Productivity Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 9, 2018
Loved working with Northwestern for 10 years; moved crossed country twice! The more people I met, the more great people I found! One huge family with a passion to helping clients reach their financial goals!
Pros
Every possible perk accompanies their employees!
Cons
Not enough hours in the day to help others!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.