Northwestern Mutual

Northwestern Mutual United States Employee Reviews

Northwestern Mutual was a wonderful place to be employed.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Beavercreek, OHApril 20, 2015
The people I worked with were professional and exceptional in every way. Everyone was intelligent, helpful and easy to work with. Northwestern Mutual is a phenomenal company with good products and reputable personnel. Compliance is very strict. On the down side, there have been so many changes with company software and apps that it was becoming increasingly difficult to feel competent with clients with a nearly constant learning curve for all of the upgrading. These were major changes that would require quite extensive training. In the last few years, it has been constant change in several areas. I rolled with the punches and got it done. Other than that, it was a very pleasant place to work and I found it very easy to go in with a smile on my face (and leave that way, too)!
High earning potential, Great working environment
Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 20, 2015
Pros: Relaxed environment, great people, great training.
Cons: Both positive and negative is the commission, utilizes your own personal network so can be difficult starting out
A great company to work for that cares about its clients and employees. Very open and free work environment, make your own schedule for the most part. Compensation is all commission based so you get what you put into it.
Life insurance intern
Financial Representative (Former Employee), Mount Laurel, NJApril 16, 2015
First professional working experience. Friendly co-workers, always willing to lend a hand and teach. Did not stay for an extended period of time due to other offers.
One of the most secure and solid
Director of Client Services (Current Employee), Miami, FLApril 15, 2015
Pros: amazing company, solid management
Its a fast paced learning curve to any new comers but there is a good amount of incentive to get commissions.

The actual structure depends on the general Agency you are on, if you are hired directly by a representative you get to have only one boss.

if you get hired by Home Office (Agency) you will have tons of benefits solid back end office and amazing support from Milwaukee.

As far as financial planing the holistic approach from NM does make sense and from being a inside guy, i can tell you the safety nets of compliance and self monitoring systems are really strong, maybe to strong when it comes to paperwork and deal flow yet for the client it does make sense to have such oversight of the representatives.
A great place if you have the background
Financial Representative (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 15, 2015
Pros: great potential
Cons: Very few really make it
Seems that those who succeeded at this job were mainly those with a background in the industry. Lots of studying and lots to learn if you do not know about the industry.
Typical day required 50 to 100 cold calls per day. If you did not do this, chances of making it were slim unless you already had 500 or more contacts to call. Colleagues tend to be supportive because they felt your pain. Management not so warm and fuzzy since they were sharks too and would get rid of you if your numbers did not meet standards and you could feel it starting shortly after you begin full time status.
The hardest part was the calls to make appointments. Cold calls were tough but even those contacts who you thought would meet with you would blow you off.
I did really enjoy actually meeting with people and getting to know them on a personal level. Much different than business to business selling that I was in for 14 years,
Great place to run your OWN company!
Financial Planner (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 10, 2015
Pros: Endless Financial Gain Posibilities
Cons: Long Hours for the first 5 years
Although the pace is fast and the hours are long, Northwestern Mutual provides a friendly environment, always available mentor-ship and great leadership!
Good place to start
Financial Representative (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCApril 8, 2015
Pros: make your own schedule
Cons: long hours without guarentee of compensation
a good company to gain basic knowledge of the financial industry and personal skills. However, it is a career where you are on your own. Either sell, or eat a lot of Ramen.
Working hands on education and presenting people ideas of how to strengthen financial plans
Financial Representative (Current Employee), Edina, MNApril 8, 2015
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: calling on family and friends, coming up with your own prospects
A typical day starts out posting and planning. Next is 40 phone calls to prospective clients. The rest of the day is meeting with people or trying to meet with people. Once in front of people it is understanding what they currently have in place and future goals and objectives they have. The second meeting with a individual is going over a financial planning analysis that we create for them. The third meeting is trying to sell them products to implement into their financial plan. Every time you meet with someone the goal is to get 3 new names and numbers of people to call on.
Great Place to work
Personal Assistant (Current Employee), Portland, ORApril 6, 2015
Pros: Easy Going, Everyone is friendly
Cons: parking is really expensive
Been working here for about a year as a personal assistant. The environment is very friendly. A typical day at work is just going to your desk sitting down and working and occasionally conversing with the people in the cubicles around you. Management is really nice and approachable.
Energetic work environment with a high learning curve.
Financial Representative (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 5, 2015
Great place to work due to welcoming office environment. However, sales isn't for everyone and pay is almost 100% commission. Everyone in the office is willing to help you and they all hold business ethics at the highest standard.
Work
Financial Representative-Internship (Current Employee), IowaApril 3, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours, income unlimited
Cons: 100% commission based
I learned a great deal of the insurance business while participating in the internship. Meet with clients to identify financial goals and helped them achieve it.
Challenge
Financial Representative (Current Employee), Springfield, MAApril 2, 2015
I have been pushed intellectually and go to bed exhausted each night. All solicitations are from referrals so you need a strong, vibrant and understanding personal network.
Duplicitous
REGISTERED REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Columbus, OHApril 1, 2015
It was my first company for whom I worked within the industry. There were duplicity promoting, and requiring, the joint work aspect. Many reps experience situations wherein more experienced reps attempt to market to their clients when brought in for [sometime required] joint work, or to show you have a slew of support behind you despite being new in the industry. However, if the more experienced rep tries to get your client as his/her own, the office justifies it by saying "Whoever the client wants." In fact, in one instance a rep who accompanied me to a client later informed me, "I'm going after your client." What then is the benefit of bringing in a more experienced rep or conduct joint work if they will try to steal your client?

If you asked a question about a software-computer issue, there were some reps that I encountered who required a cut on the commission if ever you sold a policy primarily because they answered your question about where to find information on the illustration software.

I once brought a rep with me early on my career at the office, and I was meeting a client that I merely had to get a signature to complete the sales cycle. I had met her previously, gotten a fact finder, determined her needs. The rep with me stated that, since I had never seen him help someone fill out an application form, I could watch and learn. I replied that the week prior I took a similar application, so I was familiar with the paperwork. He insisted that I watch and learn. Afterwards, he told me that if reps did not talk about commission splits before an application – more... was taken, then it would be a 50-50 split. I only gave him 25%, saying it was already a sold client and he had neither met her prior to that day nor assisted me in any paperwork or sales attempts to get her as a client. I merely had to obtain her signature and fill out the application form.

There were other similar instances that transpired.

Not all were like the ones I described, but there were enough that it was a common experience among new reps.

I am sure the company itself is great. But sometimes the company is only as great as the people who work there. – less
Great Place to work.
Financial Planner Associate (Current Employee), RosevilleMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Flexible
Cons: None
Good people with a great working environment. Northwestern offers opportunities and a great team to work with in Roseville.
Excellent
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee), Marshall, MNMarch 30, 2015
Excellent place of employment for all levels. Everyone is so friendly and knowledgeable. Management treats you like one of their own and does not care about your title.
Great people but sales skills are a must
Intern, Financial Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2015
There is a great environment in the company but the financial representative job is very stressful as you are expected to create your own lead. Great earning potential but only a few salesman reach it
Great learning experience
Financial Representative Intern and Recruitment (Former Employee), Tucson, AZMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Supportive management and employees
Cons: Commission based
*Commission based
*Extensive training
*Self motivation
*Great Management and staff
*Care about employees
*All cold calling to find clients
Fun atmosphere.
Financial Representative Intern (Current Employee), Troy, MIMarch 22, 2015
They trained me well, and I learned a lot from the company. It was a great company to work for. I sat down with clients and discussed their future financial goals.
do it yourself company
Financial Representative (Current Employee), ConnecticutMarch 22, 2015
The experience working for this company is greatly dependent on the general agency's particular policies and procedures.
Great Environment
Financial Representative (Current Employee), Portland, ORMarch 16, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was achieving success and being recognized for it. This is a great company that prides themselves in being leaders of the industry.

1 2 3 4 5

About Northwestern Mutual

The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company - Milwaukee, WI (Northwestern Mutual) has helped clients achieve financial security – Read more

Northwestern Mutual Salaries