Northwestern Mutual

Northwestern Mutual Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,036 reviews
Work Hard and You Will Succeed. DO NOT Give Up.
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Radnor, PAMarch 26, 2017
Northwestern is a great company that always gives back to their employees. They pay based off commission with a stipend included. The company treats each other like family and you have the freedom to create your own schedule.
Pros
Great culture, great pay, family-oriented environment, good work/life balance
Cons
Commission only
Interesting work place with possiblities
Senior Lean Leader (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 26, 2017
The future is what you make it. We are in challenging times that require people, at all levels, to think and act differently. When we can align the incredible resources we have we can a force that is truly unstoppable. Unfortunately, sometimes that means cutting away a few strong, but dead branches.
Pros
People
Cons
People
Internship
Financial Representative Intern (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 25, 2017
It was a great experience. I was introduced to the day to day duties of a full time financial advisor. Northwestern Mutual requires an extensive trainign program for its interns it is usually a 40 hours on boarding.
Great Place
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 24, 2017
Excellent play to work at with great earning potential, great working environment and its a joy helping people become comfortable financially, great way to start your career after college
Fast pace
Application Input Specialist (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIMarch 22, 2017
Great company to work for.
Advancement opportunities.
I'm learning the value of quality over quantity while increasing the quantity.
Most enjoyable part of the job is receiving feedback.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Mandatory overtime
Productive place with great people
Associate Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Dakota Dunes, SDMarch 22, 2017
Northwestern Mutual was a quiet place to work with a good work load. Kept track of my employers Group Health Benefits for local business. I made appointments and handed census to business for quotes. I also made phone calls to clients on age changes and financial reviews. While doing this I managed my own business contacting my own set of clients and helping them create financial stability.
Pros
Excellent people
Cons
Monotonous
Entrepreneurial setting
Financial Representative Intern (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAMarch 21, 2017
Northwestern really allows you to learn a lot about what you like in the financial services industry and makes sure to provide you with all the tools you may need.
Pros
Training - Friendly environment - Approachable management
Cons
Comission
Great place to Intern
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 20, 2017
Great people
Great Experience
If you work hard you will do really well
Making 40+ calls a day
Have to meet with 15 people a week to do well
Need to learn about the products the company has to offer
Good Culture
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNMarch 20, 2017
They have a good culture but push interns to the limit, if you want to stay you need to put in about twice as much work as another internship. Great experience, and development program.
Fnancial Representative intern
Financial Services Representative (internship) (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYMarch 20, 2017
Your day starts whenever you choose to arrive, though the office culture typically stipulates 9:00 am. You get out what you put in, so in essence, if your in early and you're making phone calls and setting up appointments with potential clients it's bound to pay off. Compensation is commission based so it behooves you to put in the work.
Pros
No salary cap
Cons
No salary
Fun environment where hard work pays off
ASSOCIATE FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMarch 19, 2017
Northwestern Mutual has been a great company to work for. The office that I work in is full of great people that support your goals and career advancement. The environment is very open and inviting to employees at all stages in their careers. I am always very busy as I help three financial advisors run and operate their businesses, but we have a team oriented atmosphere. We work together in order to achieve our goals.
Pros
supportive co-workers, opportunities for continuing education, job security
Cons
lack of benefits, more opportunity for advisors than support staff
Strong Company with good morals
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIMarch 17, 2017
I am a Web/WAS admin in our Command Center. I handle monitoring, incident resolution, and problem investigation for our front end web servers as well as our websphere environment. I feel proud to work for a company that has such a great reputation for how it treats its employees.
Pros
Free Lunch
Family Atmosphere
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 16, 2017
Spent a lot of time prospecting for clients and trying to set meetings. They have a great model that works if you are able to keep pace with it. Commission structure was tough and fluctuating greatly.
Very great training program
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 16, 2017
Northwestern prepares you with a great training program to help you understand the financial services industry. They really help you understand how to make a sale.
Friendly Culture
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIMarch 15, 2017
Was always able to talk to anyone. People were very easy to talk to. Management was not the best to talk to because they were never around. If I had any questions, I had to ask others that were around me for help or advice about something that I wanted to do.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Bad Management
Good company and strong morals
Director of Operations, Wealth Management Advisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 14, 2017
Very good environment with values of taking care of the client's needs. The company does the right things with each advisor running his/her own business which tends to make it feel more like a smal business in the work environment.
mostenoyable at work
Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 14, 2017
good at learming at workplace
Northwestern Mutual is revamping its Illustration systems to improve its presentation. The application is used by financial representatives to showcase the benefits of various wealth management/ insurance products. As
part of this project, NM would provide representatives a modern responsive web & mobile platform that
illustrates benefits and features of its policies.
Good company if you have a good network
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 13, 2017
Great company to work for! Has great potential to make a lot of money. But all depends on your network and confidence on asking them for money. Good company overall
Great products, not so great atmosphere
Financial Representative Intern (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 10, 2017
The work life balance is one sided with this company and the work culture is pretty solitary. Overall I learned a lot by working for this company but would not want my career to be with them.
Great company really looking for you to succeed
Financial Advising Summer Internship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 8, 2017
Built a foundation of knowledge in finance, insurance and sales concepts that helped me succeed in providing financial security to clients. Developed a client base and work to build a successful practice, with support from office colleagues and the company. Provided with Real-life experiences while earning performance-based compensation. Vaults top 5 Internship programs 2016.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.

Northwestern Mutual Reviews by Location