Northwestern University Employee Reviews in United States

Laid Back environment
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILApril 21, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of coming in everyday and sorting the incoming mail into the buildings bins and checked them against rosters and getting the mail ready for delivery. The management could have been a little bit better. my co workers were okay to work with on a daily basis. The hardest part of my job was ensuring that the mail got delivered in a timely fashion. The enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the students.
foodserver
Food Prep Provider (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILApril 18, 2016
I would come to work and start setting up my line. putting the food in the right place. making sure everything was clean and I would server the student. I love working there. The hardest part of the job was taking two hours to get to work and two hours to get back. My most enjoyable time on the job is serving the people. the looks on there face when they see how good my line was and how good the food look.
Head Coach
Head Coach Wrestling Coach (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILApril 26, 2016
A good place to work with great benefits - beautiful area to live on the Northshore.

Good people to work with

Similar Goals

Culture of Compliance

Leadership from administration could be enhanced
Pros
Working at one of the finest univeristies in the world
Cons
Work/Life balance as a head coach - many 18 hour days.
NUIN Student at Northwestern
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 26, 2016
Being a graduate student is difficult anywhere. NUIN is a good program that ensures the development of its students. They could be more encouraging of career goals outside of academia.
Pros
good training
Cons
little oversight, intro neuroscence course is disorganized, poor professional development focus
Great environment for work
Marketing & Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILApril 13, 2016
Northwestern is a great place to find professional opportunities. They really take care of their full-time employees, which can make it difficult to find advancement opportunities. However, this is a world-class university, so it's a very inspiring place to be.
Great place to work being Northwestern University.
Program Assistant, Center for Comparative Medicine (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILMarch 17, 2016
I asked to help other with their work per job description but no one had anything for me to help them out with. It caused a lot of problems with not being able to fulfill the job description.
Lab dependent
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILApril 18, 2016
The quality of postdoctoral positions at Northwestern University completely depends on your advisor. Mine was good and I have relatively few complaints.
Pros
Make your own hours (boss dependent)
Cons
Food options near campus are terrible.
Wonderful Employer
Research Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 27, 2016
Nu is a fantastic employer. Great Benefits and a wonderful environment. The Chicago Campus is a great place to work. The department of Emergency Medicine has a wonderful leadership team and a great atmosphere. Couldn't be better.
Supportive environment and good people to work with
Student Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 6, 2015
I enjoy the support and closeness that I have with all of the employees in the office. Manager cares about the welfare of her employees and the benefits are great
Pros
Friendly people, good benefits
Cons
Not good chances for advancement in present position
relaxed workplace with people my age all around
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILFebruary 17, 2016
there is never one set place where you work, but the job remains the same, clean up. I've learned how to flip a collage bed. the job is simple, if you know how to clean you should be fine.

Want to know more about Northwestern University?

Ask a question
Very difficult place to be happy with.
House Chef (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 3, 2015
I did not work directly for the University or the house. I worked for a company that was contracted to provide for the house.

Overall the company as a whole was very difficult and not properly managed.
Pros
Culinarily challenging
Cons
Compensation did not meet the demand
I liked very much
Research Coordinator at Medical Intensive Care (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 8, 2016
The reason that I left this job was because I loved to Boston. Otherwise I would continue work there. great team work and benefits as well
Northwestern University Review Summary
anonymous (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILSeptember 2, 2015
There is no typical day at work. What I learned is to try to understand how to work around the office politics. Each manager is different. Co-workers are great. The hardest part was not being allowed to do more than what was asked. The most enjoyable part was researching information for co-workers and outside customers.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Office Politics, Benefits are Expensive, would have like to take classes that weren't part of my job description, parking is expensive
Great opportunity
Research Study Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2016
NU provides provides a great work atmosphere, amazing co-workers, wonderful benefits along with some opportunities to be promoted from within.
Pleasant academic culture, plenty of common equipment and core facilities.
Postdoctoral Affiliate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2015
Pleasant academic culture and great location. Research needs are met through a vast variety of common equipment and core facilities. Great benefits, but poor pay for the high cost of living if you are a postdoc. Job security and advancement is dependent on available funding, and the funding environment is grim at the moment.
Pros
Lenient work schedule, great health benefits and retirement plan, great location, nice atmosphere.
Cons
Low salary, high cost of living, work/life balance undefined
Meaningful place
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILJanuary 8, 2016
I learnt theoretical knowledge and had experience on how to do research. Teachers are all very helpful and kind hearted.
Higher education fundraising--great colleagues, not enough room for creativity
Writer (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILAugust 11, 2015
I spend about 60% of my day writing and editing and 40% on project management, strategy, and coordinating between our many communications and micro-campaigns. I've njoyed working at Northwestern for a number of reasons: I have learned a lot about marketing and social media, I have wonderful colleagues who are not only hard-working but very intelligent and creative, and I have some opportunity to be creative.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough room for me to be creative--I thrive in an atmosphere where off-the-wall ideas aren't immediately shut down, where testing new things isn't something to be scared of. There is a lot of bureaucracy and politics in higher ed institutions which makes it impossible to progress further in my role.
Pros
great colleagues, good location, reputable organization
Cons
too much red tape and politics, too much hierarchical oversight
Why Northwestern?
Undergraduate Housing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Evanston ILOctober 23, 2015
My time at Northwestern began 16 years ago while I was raising a young family and making the commitment to return to school.
Pros
Close to Home, great benefits
Always keep a positive attitude toward the students as well as the staff.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILJune 24, 2015
Start the day with soft music. (jazz). The music is get the students in a positive mind set. They will get into their General studies with a great attitude.They will remain in that mind set which will allow them to do their best in their arts
With that frame of mind it Will pass along through the entire school. Have the attitude IT WILL WORK IF YOU. WORK IT.
Pros
the staff has a great attitude toward them.
Cons
The students don't have enough time to show their entire potetial
Norris Student Center is great for work/study jobs.
Norris Student Center (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 8, 2015
Norris Student Center has a great work/study jobs. It is a fun and social office environment. I would recommend it to anyone. I loved working there.

4.2