Northwestern University

- Research opportunities
- Wide variety of cases
Safe and friendly enviornment
Postdoctoral fellow (Current Employee), Evanston, ILJune 19, 2015
This is a beautiful campus near Lake Michigan. I work at a clean and quiet environment with diverse cultures. The downtown is right on the corner of campus, with many restaurants and stores.
Data analysis as an independent consultant
Test Consultant (Current Employee), Evanston, ILJune 15, 2015
On call position, Saturdays, testing students for gifted programs for Northwestern University. Diversity students is exciting.
wonderful university
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Evanston, ILJune 14, 2015
Northwestern University is one of the best university in the world with best professors and best equipment. And people here are friendly.
Terrific people, in a great location, with meaningful work.
IT Business Analyst/Study Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 8, 2015
Pros: Great company, wonderful, intelligent people, and terrific benefits
Cons: Poorly designed system, inflexible, not user friendly.
I enjoyed leveraging the skills I already possessed in a new environment. I came from a mainframe environment to a web based environment. It was such a great experience.

This job contained allot of firsts for me. First job in a University environment, first time working on a web based application, and the first time I worked in a job where private and public funding was obtained by the efforts of research scientists, which was also a first, for me. I learned so much about what it actually takes to create and validate surveys (assessments), in a scientific setting. It was great fun.

A typical day at work meant interracting with people inside and outside of the organization, in the creation of social sciences research studies, which are surveys that reveal how a patient feels (anger, anxiety, depression.....), in relation to specific medical conditions (cancer, diabetes.....). It was really meaningful work.

The hard part of the job was that the system had already been created, and was being used by end users all over the world before a business analyst was brought into the project. It was like stepping into the middle of a dysfunctional marriage, where both husband and wife are really amazing people, but most of the good stuff that makes a marriage work is missing. The system would have worked so much better, if all the right players had been present in the design phase.
Productive and fun at times
Post-Doctoral Researcher, Advisor (Current Employee), Evanston, ILJune 5, 2015
Pros: Excellent facilities and collaborative environment
Cons: No work/life balance and a stressful environment
The chemistry department at Northwestern University is good, and they know it. The work is very fun, exciting and collaborative. In general the number of like minded academics makes it easy to find someone with whom you may have common interests and collaborations are often started from the bottom, allowing work to be done without significant "red tape." The bureaucracy, on the other hand, can often be unpredictable. Although I will give the university stellar marks for providing an environment for conducting research, it fails at providing graduate students an effective learning environment. It is difficult to de-confluent the impact of the individual principal investigators from that of the university itself but the result remains. The facilities are excellent, and the staff is mostly competent.
I have enjoyed working at Northwestern University.
Director, Genomics Core Facility (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 26, 2015
I have been happy working at Northwestern University for the last 15 years. I have specifically been privileged to work with outstanding researchers.
Productive work place
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Evanston, ILMay 23, 2015
-work 5 days a week
-learned how to use many instruments
-friendly co-workers
-hardest part: have to learn every instruments that I want to use
-most enjoyable part: using everything what I want
Good start, bad end.
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Evanston, ILMay 21, 2015
Not a good place to work at all unless you are administration. The low man on the totem pole really gets treated like dirt.
Productive and fun place to work!
Staff (Former Employee), Evanston, ILMay 21, 2015
Great university with many opportunities for advancement. Professional environment with team-oriented attitudes.
A good place for undergrads to build experiences on bench works
Volunteer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 14, 2015
Daily job include cell culturing, sometimes practice PCR and Western blot. I worked with a post-doc lab staff and I learned a lot from her on details of bench work. The job is really basic and without any payment, but still worth the time of investment.
Ranked as one of top research universities in the country
Business Operations Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 11, 2015
Pros: College tuition assistance for staff and dependents, excellent health benefits and 403(b) plan
It's an honor to play a role in supporting the biomedical research at Northwestern University because advancements in this area either save lives or improve the quality of life of patients suffering from life-threatening conditions.
Non-profit operates like a for-profit.
Student Financial Services Representative (Former Employee), Evanston, ILMay 3, 2015
Department set up to "help students," but management and directors treat students like they are only there to make them money.
It's a postdoc. It's going to mostly suck.
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee), NeurobiologyMay 1, 2015
Pros: semi-flexible schedule
Cons: long hours, poor communication by management, low pay
The research was interesting. Fellow lab mates were pleasant. The rest was like most postdoctoral positions: paying one's "dues" by working long hours, with low pay under an unsupportive PI.
Research is fun
Histology Technologist 2 - Pathology Core Facility (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 29, 2015
The upper managers lack of expertize and people skills. The location is great and the benefits awesome. The promotion in my lab was not a forte and that’s why I went to a Master Program to find a more challengeable job.
You just work here.
Colony management (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 23, 2015
Pros: Work setting, as in the campuses.
Cons: All else
Lovely work setting. Rather poor compensation. Absurdly convoluted political environment, considering compensation. Abusive middle management that suffers from delusions of grandeur generally. Upper management and higher perpetuate the idiom of the Ivory Tower.
Enriching experience at Northwestern's CTD program
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Evanston, ILApril 22, 2015
It has been a great experience working with Northwestern University. As a college student, it is hard to find small jobs that are meaningful. Northwestern provides the opportunity for college students to be able to work part time while doing something they enjoy or they are interested in.
hard workers
Assistant Volleyball Coach & Camp Coordinator (Former Employee), Evanston, ILApril 21, 2015
This department is full of people who make it their mission to provide student athletes with the best possible experience both on and off the field with the resources they are given
Great school!
Market Researcher (Former Employee), Evanston, ILApril 16, 2015
Great school with an emphasis on networking and career development.
Graduate study is fun, but long hours are needed for lab work.
Campus is beautiful!
I throughly enjoyed working at Northwestern. I learned a lot and enjoyed meeting so many people throughout my 27 year career.
Research Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 16, 2015
Pros: NU allow you to take classes to impove your work performance.
Cons: There are none.
I joined Northwestern in 1987, departed in 2014. From 1987-2014, I was given many opportunities to acquire new skills (which I took advantage of. Once I mastered the new responsibilities, I was given the opportunity to pass on that information to new employees. What I enjoyed most, about working at NU, was constantly meeting new people and working as a team player or team leader.

1 2 3 4 5

About Northwestern University

What's NU? With its main campus in the Chicago suburb of Evanston, Northwestern University (NU) serves its 16,500 students through around – Read more

Northwestern University Salaries