Northwestern University

Northwestern University Employee Reviews

Good start, bad end.
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Evanston, ILMay 21, 2015
Not a good place to work at all unless you are administration. The low man on the totem pole really gets treated like dirt.
Productive and fun place to work!
Staff (Former Employee), Evanston, ILMay 21, 2015
Great university with many opportunities for advancement. Professional environment with team-oriented attitudes.
A good place for undergrads to build experiences on bench works
Volunteer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 14, 2015
Daily job include cell culturing, sometimes practice PCR and Western blot. I worked with a post-doc lab staff and I learned a lot from her on details of bench work. The job is really basic and without any payment, but still worth the time of investment.
Ranked as one of top research universities in the country
Business Operations Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 11, 2015
Pros: College tuition assistance for staff and dependents, excellent health benefits and 403(b) plan
It's an honor to play a role in supporting the biomedical research at Northwestern University because advancements in this area either save lives or improve the quality of life of patients suffering from life-threatening conditions.
Non-profit operates like a for-profit.
Student Financial Services Representative (Former Employee), Evanston, ILMay 3, 2015
Department set up to "help students," but management and directors treat students like they are only there to make them money.
It's a postdoc. It's going to mostly suck.
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee), NeurobiologyMay 1, 2015
Pros: semi-flexible schedule
Cons: long hours, poor communication by management, low pay
The research was interesting. Fellow lab mates were pleasant. The rest was like most postdoctoral positions: paying one's "dues" by working long hours, with low pay under an unsupportive PI.
Research is fun
Histology Technologist 2 - Pathology Core Facility (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 29, 2015
The upper managers lack of expertize and people skills. The location is great and the benefits awesome. The promotion in my lab was not a forte and that’s why I went to a Master Program to find a more challengeable job.
You just work here.
Colony management (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 23, 2015
Pros: Work setting, as in the campuses.
Cons: All else
Lovely work setting. Rather poor compensation. Absurdly convoluted political environment, considering compensation. Abusive middle management that suffers from delusions of grandeur generally. Upper management and higher perpetuate the idiom of the Ivory Tower.
Enriching experience at Northwestern's CTD program
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Evanston, ILApril 22, 2015
It has been a great experience working with Northwestern University. As a college student, it is hard to find small jobs that are meaningful. Northwestern provides the opportunity for college students to be able to work part time while doing something they enjoy or they are interested in.
hard workers
Assistant Volleyball Coach & Camp Coordinator (Former Employee), Evanston, ILApril 21, 2015
This department is full of people who make it their mission to provide student athletes with the best possible experience both on and off the field with the resources they are given
Great school!
Market Researcher (Former Employee), Evanston, ILApril 16, 2015
Great school with an emphasis on networking and career development.
Graduate study is fun, but long hours are needed for lab work.
Campus is beautiful!
I throughly enjoyed working at Northwestern. I learned a lot and enjoyed meeting so many people throughout my 27 year career.
Research Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 16, 2015
Pros: NU allow you to take classes to impove your work performance.
Cons: There are none.
I joined Northwestern in 1987, departed in 2014. From 1987-2014, I was given many opportunities to acquire new skills (which I took advantage of. Once I mastered the new responsibilities, I was given the opportunity to pass on that information to new employees. What I enjoyed most, about working at NU, was constantly meeting new people and working as a team player or team leader.
productive
Program Assistant (Former Employee), evanston, ilApril 1, 2015
fun place to work, friendly people, friendly students, great benefits,

checking up on you making sure you are happy with your current role

Advancement opportunities
NU has a great sense of community
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Evanston, ILApril 1, 2015
Working for the Dean is an incredible challenge. The environment is face-paced and urgent matters always arise. Attention to detail is important and confidentiality is key in dealing with matters for senior administration. Working in this job has strengthened those important skills and helped to make me a seasoned professional in office administration. I enjoy the ever changing world of booking travel, scheduling meetings, and understand the extreme demands of senior executives.
Flexibility with opprtunity
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Flexibility
Cons: Distance
Flexible hours, classes and types of opportunities. Opportunities to teach undergrad, grad or adults in a variety of subjects.
Productive and manually challenging workplace.
Landscape Assistant (Former Employee), Evanston, ILMarch 28, 2015
•Maintained and reconstructed Northwestern University grounds.
•Responsible for knowing how to do a number of landscaping tasks.
•Trained two temporary workers to use the Bobcat tractor.
•Interacted with students, faculty and visitors, guiding them around campus.
•Responsible to be on call 24/7 during the winter season.
Great Opportunity
Macintosh Technician / Workshop Instructor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Great Opportunity
Cons: Ended when I left Chicago Area
This was a great opportunity to learn more of the computer support skills that I have carried with me throughout my career.
Excellent Work Environment
Lab Manager/Research Technologist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2015
Great place to work, you meet great intellectuals from diverse backgrounds.In addition, NU helps you build your skills to improve your chances of moving to different jobs.
Great working environment in my case, good benefits, troublesome HR
Research Associate (Current Employee), Evanston, ILMarch 21, 2015
Pros: workplace culture, benefits
Cons: typical hr antipathy
My work schedule and environment are excellent - very supportive and flexible, with a lot of latitude and trust for me to develop new and better solutions (which produces better results for our projects while improving my skill set, a win for all involved). However, this is all due to my specific manager's style, so I can't generalize to other people's experiences. Generally, though, there seems to be good non-profit university culture: Good work-life balance and a culture of developing employees.

The pay is fine and benefits are very good, with lots of healthcare options at different budgets and choices for retirement savings.

However, I have had problems with claiming benefits from HR to which I was entitled, involving interpretations of vague written policies. Even when I prevailed, implementation was delayed in an almost punitive fashion.
transitions
Area Coordinator (Former Employee), Evanston, ILMarch 19, 2015
Pros: students were so smart
Cons: political environment
The amount of transitions made it difficult to be successful here. Worked 24/7. The co-workers were nice, but the management was difficult to work with.

1 2 3 4 5

About Northwestern University

What's NU? With its main campus in the Chicago suburb of Evanston, Northwestern University (NU) serves its 16,500 students through around – Read more

Northwestern University Salaries