Northwestern University Employee Reviews

Meaningful place
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILJanuary 8, 2016
I learnt theoretical knowledge and had experience on how to do research. Teachers are all very helpful and kind hearted.
Supportive environment and good people to work with
Student Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 6, 2015
I enjoy the support and closeness that I have with all of the employees in the office. Manager cares about the welfare of her employees and the benefits are great
Pros
Friendly people, good benefits
Cons
Not good chances for advancement in present position
Very difficult place to be happy with.
House Chef (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 3, 2015
I did not work directly for the University or the house. I worked for a company that was contracted to provide for the house.

Overall the company as a whole was very difficult and not properly managed.
Pros
Culinarily challenging
Cons
Compensation did not meet the demand
Why Northwestern?
Undergraduate Housing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Evanston ILOctober 23, 2015
My time at Northwestern began 16 years ago while I was raising a young family and making the commitment to return to school.
Pros
Close to Home, great benefits
Norris Student Center is great for work/study jobs.
Norris Student Center (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 8, 2015
Norris Student Center has a great work/study jobs. It is a fun and social office environment. I would recommend it to anyone. I loved working there.
Productive place
Post-doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Evanston ILSeptember 30, 2015
Beautiful campus, the libraries are great. There are lots of interesting seminars. There are a few top researchers with interesting projects. Lake Michigan is nice.
Pros
top researchers
Pleasant learning environment
Visa and License Coordinator of the GME office (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2015
Coordinator for the visa and license of the residents and fellows here at Northwestern University. I enjoy working with the foreign medical graduates.
Excellent place to learn new things
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 3, 2015
It was wonderful experience. I met wonderful people from varied backgrounds. Work culture is very good.
Chicago is also a lovely place to stay. Both the campuses are beautiful.
Northwestern University Review Summary
anonymous (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILSeptember 2, 2015
There is no typical day at work. What I learned is to try to understand how to work around the office politics. Each manager is different. Co-workers are great. The hardest part was not being allowed to do more than what was asked. The most enjoyable part was researching information for co-workers and outside customers.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Office Politics, Benefits are Expensive, would have like to take classes that weren't part of my job description, parking is expensive
Higher education fundraising--great colleagues, not enough room for creativity
Writer (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILAugust 11, 2015
I spend about 60% of my day writing and editing and 40% on project management, strategy, and coordinating between our many communications and micro-campaigns. I've njoyed working at Northwestern for a number of reasons: I have learned a lot about marketing and social media, I have wonderful colleagues who are not only hard-working but very intelligent and creative, and I have some opportunity to be creative.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough room for me to be creative--I thrive in an atmosphere where off-the-wall ideas aren't immediately shut down, where testing new things isn't something to be scared of. There is a lot of bureaucracy and politics in higher ed institutions which makes it impossible to progress further in my role.
Pros
great colleagues, good location, reputable organization
Cons
too much red tape and politics, too much hierarchical oversight

Want to know more about Northwestern University?

Ask a question
Great benefits
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILAugust 10, 2015
The benefits at Northwestern University are wonderful. Unfortunately, some of the attitudes of the managers are not - just like anywhere else.
Postdoctoral Position
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILAugust 5, 2015
Northwestern University offers a place to work on cutting edge science. In terms of postdoc life, this depends on who you work for and tends to be consistent with anywhere you go (i.e. long hours).
Pros
Health Insurance Is Good
Cons
Long Hours
Nice place to work
Staffing Consultant(Contract) (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILAugust 5, 2015
I enjoyed my time working at Northwestern University. I worked on the Evanston Campus and the job culture was vibrant and creative.
A wonderful engaging place to work and grow as a person.
Program Coordinator-Executive Education (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILAugust 1, 2015
I enjoyed every aspect of working at Northwestern.
Every day was different, bringing it's own unique challenges and triumphs.
Pleasant academic culture, plenty of common equipment and core facilities.
Postdoctoral Affiliate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2015
Pleasant academic culture and great location. Research needs are met through a vast variety of common equipment and core facilities. Great benefits, but poor pay for the high cost of living if you are a postdoc. Job security and advancement is dependent on available funding, and the funding environment is grim at the moment.
Pros
Lenient work schedule, great health benefits and retirement plan, great location, nice atmosphere.
Cons
Low salary, high cost of living, work/life balance undefined
Great Department
Program Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILJuly 10, 2015
I appreciate and respect my boss in my department. I have been able to learn different software applications and for the most part I enjoy working with the students
You work hard, but you love it
Ph.D. Student and research assistant (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILJuly 9, 2015
It's a very challenging university. Forget having a life. At the end though, it was the best experience ever!! You are encouraged to think big, take risks, try new things, and you have extremely intelligent people helping you do this.
Very friendly workspace
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILJuly 6, 2015
The campus is very nice: located on the lakefront, with the views of Chicago skyline. There is plenty of parking with affordable monthly rates for faculty/staff, an it is free after hours and on weekends.
Very friendly atmosphere. Collaborative research opportunities. Excellent analytical capabilities.
Always keep a positive attitude toward the students as well as the staff.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILJune 24, 2015
Start the day with soft music. (jazz). The music is get the students in a positive mind set. They will get into their General studies with a great attitude.They will remain in that mind set which will allow them to do their best in their arts
With that frame of mind it Will pass along through the entire school. Have the attitude IT WILL WORK IF YOU. WORK IT.
Pros
the staff has a great attitude toward them.
Cons
The students don't have enough time to show their entire potetial
Safe and friendly enviornment
Postdoctoral fellow (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILJune 19, 2015
This is a beautiful campus near Lake Michigan. I work at a clean and quiet environment with diverse cultures. The downtown is right on the corner of campus, with many restaurants and stores.

4.3