Northwestern University Employee Reviews

Nice place to be
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2018
The place it self is great to work at. Just supervisor is very childish and has ability to play with people lifes. This is one job that needs a union. High turn over rate
Can be fun and laid back but...
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILJanuary 4, 2018
Can be fun, challenging, and laid back all at the same time. It can be a potentially stimulating environment. All the basic organization training is more than adequate. Training support for specific roles is far from adequate. There can be a lack of transparency on behalf of the supervisors and managers and future advancement is often uncertain. Though many of these roles can be a bit more laid back than opportunities in the corporate world, this can lead to a lack of efficiency on multiple levels. You often need to rely on multiple points of contact to get things done and their lack of efficiency can get in the way. There are quite a few seasoned employees that seem to be content doing the least they can get away with, whilst heaping their workloads upon the newer employees.
Pros
Benefits are average or better than average.
Cons
Questionable advancement opportunities.
Enjoyable
PROGRAM ASSISTANT I (TEMPORARY EMPLOYEE) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2017
I found my bosses and co-workers to be personable easy to get along with. Event though the work could sometimes be stressful my bosses were easygoing.
Great culture
Senior Human Capital Partner (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILDecember 8, 2017
Awesome leadership on building community and job culture. Person in charge is the queen of getting people to connect. Several events/initiatives include, annual talent show, monthly breakfast gathering, monthly lunch gathering, etc.
Pros
Cons
Job advancement
Intellectually stimulating environment and collaborative research spirit
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, USANovember 22, 2017
I learnt a lot at NU. There are great ideas and projects to work on and the career advancement opportunities are unmatched. The environment is very collaborative.
na
Promotions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 21, 2017
The ability to juggle projects and never missing a deadline didn’t just develop through my professional experience. It also comes from having a big family of 12 all with very different personalities, activities, schedules and demands. It was adapt or die trying in my household. I’ve learned to budget my time , assets, and most importantly, I’ve learned to be flexible and to get things done
Used to be a great place to work
IT Employee (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 10, 2017
It was a great place to work for 13 years. Recent changes over the last two years in the executive suite and upper management in Information Technology made this a horrific, unbearable workplace.
Visiting Professor.
Visiting Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2017
I was a visiting professor who gave lectures on both Business Law I topics (Property, Wills and trusts) and Business Law II (all business entities like Corporations, LLCs, partnerships, etc). Job ended when Northwestern changes the head of the program who gave my slot to people he knew. Always got highest student ratings in feedback.
Pros
Intellectually Challeging
Cons
Not Advancement
Nice working environment
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 6, 2017
Great talent to work with! Nice and balanced working environment. Lots of resources through across different departments in Tech, and Evanston is a nice town.
Good place for undergraduates to gain research experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 30, 2017
Working as a research assistant at Northwestern University can be a very rewarding experience for anyone who is interested in a career focused on research.
Great benefits
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 29, 2017
Tuition reimbursement, medical, dental, and 403b savings were among the great benefits offered. Department staff were dedicated to getting the job done.
Northwestern University
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 24, 2017
Great organization. The campus is beautiful and the people are intelligent and fun to work with in the library. It is an environment where people are encouraged to continue learning and developing in their study of interest-a culture of learning.
Pros
Quality people and beautiful campus.
Good university
Fellow (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 19, 2017
The university is great. We have a nice campus here with many social events going on. The city is affordable to live in. We have good professors in our department.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 18, 2017
I worked with people who really valued being a "team player". I was able to ask for help when needed and frequently we even got together for drinks and movies.
Pros
Free alcohol on Fridays
Cons
No dental insurance
Good balance, good employer
Research Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2017
Days are typically 9-5. There are ample learning opportunities as this is an academic position. Management is excellent, but I am sure that depends on which group you work with. The culture is very liberal as this is a university, but it is still a very professional environment. The most difficult part of the job is advancement. You have to be relatively aggressive and willing to continue your education to move forward, but they do offer a generous tuition reimbursement. The best part of the job is the community. People are generally friendly here.
Pros
educational opportunities and benefits, work/life balance.
Cons
Difficult career advancement.
Good work place and easy ongoing job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 15, 2017
Validate parking look up patients write a pass clean work area keep out non visitors. fill out paper work making passes for next shift give directions.
Phenomenal opportunity that provided me with beneficial experiences.
Assistant Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2017
I worked for Northwestern University as an Assistant Groundskeeper for four years. During that time, I learned a lot about managing time, expectations and myself. I am confident that my experience at Northwestern University will serve me well on the job hunt. I learned the benefits of hard work, working together with my coworkers and trouble-shooting potential issues.
The job had some amazing people but get ready to work
Landscaper Helper (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 13, 2017
great job this job brings in a lot of responsibilities because you have to make sure the camps is clean and there ist any trash laying around any stray weeds
Phd at nu
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2017
Great training here and very nice Professors. I got my masters and PhD here, the environment is optimal for studying and the classes offered are fascinating.
Productive and Resourceful place to work
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 6, 2017
Productive working atmosphere, Teaching and non-staff are helpful and efficient, Plenty of workshops for Career Advancement, location is great, overall a very good place to work
Pros
excellent working atmosphere and location
Cons
IT department is sloppy