Northwestern University

Northwestern University Employee Reviews

Good work-life balance, but doesn't pay market value, and strong group think
Business Continuity Analyst/Risk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILMarch 27, 2017
Good work-life balance, but doesn't pay market value, and strong group think. There is an excellent discount if you want to get more education, but advancement into higher levels for women and minorities are still an issue. The processes have not been updated, in comparison with other universities, and need investment. The "old guard", need to let people do their jobs, it is not always welcoming. There are many changes which are being implemented, however, and it will take time.
Pros
Work-life balance, education discount
Cons
Group think, lack of diversity, lack of investment in processes & technology
Beautiful Campus and Inspiring Workplace
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2016
Northwestern is great university as a whole. The school/department you work for might shift your views a little. Work/life balance was great. Management at SPS needs a lot of improvement. The most enjoyable part was having a lot of opportunities for advancement.
Pros
beautiful campus, great people
Cons
management issues
This review is from the 1990s so likely is not applicable now
Management, Asst. Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILMarch 15, 2017
This required review is from the 1990s, so likely is not applicable at this point. At the time, the work culture was positive. I was given a lot of responsibility at a young age.
Pros
Great content of work, learning environment, benefits of working in a university setting
Excellent benefits
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 10, 2017
I would highly suggest working for Northwestern University. The benefits for professional development as well as insurance and retirement are some of the best in the nation.
Amazing mission
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2017
Great company! Very smart people. The research mission is amazing. Space for growth. Continuing education. Great benefits. I would definitely recommend.
Learned many things
Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILSeptember 19, 2016
A typical day at work would start with a good morning greet from many co-workers, we would come a hr early to have coffee, very nice people no problems from any co-workers, I learned the great culture, met people that have worked that for 25 or more years , they was very helpful showed me all the work. Taught me how to use proper cleaning supplies,proper ways to to use a hand mop, and more. My supervisor was very nice and understand and made sure you knew your job over all i enjoy my time there because i learned new experience.
Pros
Many restaurants near
Cons
Associate Director of advisory services (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILJanuary 17, 2017
Great atmosphere... great benefits, great location. I had great opportunities to move up within my unit, but hard to move out of audit into academic enterprise.
Interesting and diverse culture
Department Administrator (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILMarch 4, 2017
I have a very high regard for Northwestern University. Interacting with a large variety of students, staff and faculty was an incredibly amazing opportunity. My 18 years of service was very fulfilling.
Benefits
Cons
Salary
Nice Evanston Campus
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILAugust 24, 2016
Great place to work. Nice co workers. Benefits are great, but pay is lousy. Employees are not paid fairly for their hard work, dedication to the job, or for their contributions. Management needs improving.
Productive workplace
Metadata Analyst (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILFebruary 17, 2017
I have learnt basic skills in content recovery and management.

I worked on African rare materials in the category of unknown language and identified more than 300 items in the span of two months.
Great workplace for employees going back to school.
Medical Technologist II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2017
The university has great opportunities for employees to trying to get ahead on their career especially if you take the courses at Northwestern
Interesting place to work
Data Assessment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 19, 2017
Needs to improve diversity and work culture.
Too much focus on titles and not work performance.
Should focus on developing relationships with team members.
Implement all ideas that make sense for the department as a whole.
Top-notch school, but down-to-earth
Consulting Editor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2016
I have for several years reviewed Master's level theses for civil engineering students to ensure (largely Chinese) student English is flawless. I find this very satisfying.
Pros
Very good compensation.
Head Coach
Head Coach Wrestling Coach (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILApril 26, 2016
A good place to work with great benefits - beautiful area to live on the Northshore.

Good people to work with

Similar Goals

Culture of Compliance

Leadership from administration could be enhanced
Pros
Working at one of the finest univeristies in the world
Cons
Work/Life balance as a head coach - many 18 hour days.
I can't complain
Accounting Asst/ Student Fin Rep (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 13, 2016
My job and the people I work with are very enjoyable. The management is my department is ideal - they aren't micro managers and lead by example. We are very team oriented and we get the job done.
Very productive, hard working, focused, dedicated, and team player
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 3, 2016
Responds to customer needs in providing networking suggestions and technology resolutions.
Adhering to departmental service level standards and time frames. Develops and maintains strong relationships with customers. Conducts Enhanced ACD training for departments. Such as volunteering to handle all Enhanced ACD issues and Unified Messaging Callers Menus.

The hardest part of my job is working too hard and forgetting to take lunch.

The most enjoyable aspect of my job is interacting with customers and other groups within central IT as well as University departments.
Fabulous Institution and Wonderful Work Environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILAugust 29, 2016
Northwestern is an amazing place to work. It fosters a creative environment and freedom of expression. They compensate their employees well and provide good benefits. They give you a lot of latitude so you don't feel stifled. The bonus is that the campus is gorgeous. Apply!
good place to work
communications (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2017
I've enjoyed my time at Northwestern. They offer a lot of professional development opportunities to tap into and a great tuition reimbursement program that everyone should use.
Great place to work. World-class university. Brilliant faculty
Medical Science Writer/Public Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 17, 2016
My former boss was/is my mentor. I learned to find the news and write about it. I developed terrific relationships with the media, faculty and peers in academic medicine.
Pros
Wonderful learning experience. Many career-building rewards.
Cons
Salaries on the low side.
Fast paced and challenging projects
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILMarch 13, 2017
Academics take a while to decipher as far as needs and wants are concerned with facilities improvement projects. Trying to match construction methods and specifications to cutting edge scientific environments is the best part of the job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northwestern University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2