Norwalk Hospital Employee Reviews

i enjoy working as RN and love my job..i still work in Norwalk hospital on tele floor
RN (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTSeptember 19, 2014
The culture is changing though compared to 10years that I have been there..it's very "Budget" oriented culture now,,,I feel that sometimes the type of care that you want to give is judged by how long extra you are staying at work that might cost them money..I would rather give a good care and not be paid for that extra amount of few minutes.
we used to have a patient ratio per nurse assignments and also patient/CNA ratio assignments but that does not exist any more..!!
it's frustrating when you can not give that care that you would like to give when you are controlled by "budget". restrictions.
I would have 4-5 pts assignments. i will discuss with pts/families regarding the plan of care for that specific pt and also assist in different types of cares or communitcations that they may need.
We try to work as a team work on the floor. and use our resources to assist for the pt's optimal level of care.
we do rounds with case managers and also communicate with physicians/pts/families regarding pt's needs.
the most enjoyeable part of my job is to see pt's positive satisfaction and be able to help that pt/family for their needs. it's great to be there at the moment that pt really needs a helping hands to make him feel better as a whole. I really love to be able to give a great care .. I always wanted to be a nurse when i was growing up...I had been a candystriper when I was in 8th grade at Verterans Hospitalo in West Haven Ct in nursing services..and decided that i really wanted to be a nurse..and Here I AM...after 34yrs of working as an RN. .
It is good place to work with aesthetic environment. the co-workers have helping nature and which helps to carry out our work smoothly.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTSeptember 2, 2014
I work night shift. Even though I work in Oncology and hospice unit I have got opportunity to take care of the patients with many medical problems and surgical complications. I have had an opportunity to perform many bedside procedures such as catheteriaztion, CAPD, draining of pleurex catheters, tracheostomy suctioning, wound dressings and also I am proficient in iv insertion. I have also had an opportunity in assissting the doctors with bedside procedures such as thoracentesis, paracentesis, central line insertion, LP, etc, I have been working as the charge nurse and has the capability of managing the floor and resolve any issues that arises. The co-workers help each other to carry out the work smoothly even in stressful situations. The hardest part of my job is convincing the family members and the patient about the hospice care, but by expalining the disease process and the care that is provided, they get convinced. The most enjoyable part of my job is taking care of the patients and seeing their smile and also helping my co-workers.
Pros
aprreciation by providing a free coffee coupen for the job well done, bonus for the night shift, computer documentation, encouragement by the management for the excellence in pathway, regular reviewing of the nursing procedures and practices
Cons
patient nurse ratio
Great Values, Nice Environment, Productive, Advancement,
Patient Billing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTJuly 19, 2012
Typical day at work: Responsible for coordinating Insurance claims billing and account follow-up activities.
Resolving denied hospital claims and all outstanding AR balances, onsite at customer’s location.
Responsible for comparing insurance contracts to actual reimbursements to ensure proper claim payment.

I learned diffierent aspects of billing, along with addt'l guidelines & regulations which applied to the various insurances, along with a better understanding of reviewing patients billing balances.

Most of the coworkers I met within that short period, were nice & friendly.

The hardest part of the job was being over eager to continue maintaining an above & beyond quoto within that specific dept on a continous basis depending on each individual case.

The enjoyable part of the job was gaining more knowledge of patient care, in addition to resolving the accounts, & also being a part of a facility which focuses on all aspects of customer care.

The hospital in general, was a great place to work.
Pros
great benefits, values patients & customer care

Comment – January 9, 2013

I have 25 years of healthcare billing experience and I cannot seem to get a position anywhere Any suggestions?

Nice Place to Work
Clinical DTR Intern, Food Service Intern (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTApril 5, 2014
I was lucky enough to be able to intern on both sides of the nutrition department at Norwalk Hospital - both in food service and in clinical. Given that is a 313 bed hospital, I learned quite a lot there. In food service, I learned very quickly how fast paced it is when half the hospital orders lunch at the same time. I enjoyed learning what it was like to work in that kind of a kitchen, and putting the things I learned in school into practice. I got to do purchase orders, inventory, sanitation audits and the head chef and I worked together to release a line of products for sale in the main cafeteria.
On the clinical side of things, I got to see a lot more patient interaction. I learned to read medical charts, and fill out dietary concerns charts. I got lots of practice in writing diagnoses and with interviewing, assessing and educating patients.
Overall, it was a great experience.
Pros
free sodas, lots to learn from being there
Multi-Specialty Surgical PA Resident
Yale School of Medicine Surgical PA Resident (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTNovember 28, 2014
As part of a 12 month intensive residency program, we work as part of a surgery team lead by an attending surgeon. As residents, we first assist, cover the floors, clinic, and take both OR and overnight call. We cover the General, Colorectal, Vascular, Thoracic, Bariatric, Neuro, and orthopedic surgery services, as well as rotate through the SICU and work on the trauma team. We perform multiple surgical procedures including suturing, NG/Dobhoff Tube placement, chest tubes, central lines, wound vac placement, and many others. As residents, we also undergo a rigorous clinical education, including daily morning lecture series, M and M, journal club, tumor board, and case presentations. Additionally, we are able to choose two elective surgical rotations in either trauma, EM, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, thoracic surgery, CT surgery, and Surgical critical care.
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTNovember 4, 2015
A typical day at my job is working with 3 technicians in the ER one is usually in the OR and the other 2 are in the ER performing X-rays on outpatients, and all over the Hospital. My co workers are great. There is always one person in charge but that charge person is often very flexible, when he's not around the job always get done anyway. The hardest part of the job is when they need 2 people in the OR and we have to call the on call tech to come in. This person usually refused to come or when he comes never goes in the OR to relieve the other OR Tech. It's always a problem. The most enjoyable part of the work is when we have to go to dinner and no one wants to say when they want to go because we like everyone to choose whatever time he or she wants; not trying to be selfish. I learned a lot for example correcting mistakes from doctors orders, Using different kind of C arms in the OR, and most important performing great x rays.
Comfortable environment
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTNovember 24, 2014
A typical day in the Norwalk Hospital cancer center are usually quiet and subtle and everyone hurrying about getting to where they need to be. But working there i've learned that there will not always be a happy moment. The hardest part of the job for me is that I am a compassionate person so when I start to build friendships with patients and hear what they are going through and wiping tears from their eyes it really makes me sad because most of them seem to be very nice and sweet people. But I can for sure say the happiest part of my job is meeting new and wonderful people and being able to put a smile on the patients faces after words of encouragement and making them feel good.
Pros
meeting new people, making patients feel comfortable.
Great place to work in a snow storm
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Norwalk hospitalMarch 15, 2013
Community based hospital with minimally diverse staff( most employees Live local and Norwalk boasts that its "on the water" but that's about the most the area has as its claim to fame . Employee longevity does exist which may appear to be a bonus but if your looking for advancement good luck as VERY few other area hospitals to move on to. Major error in hiring from within as a staff RN should never be advanced to manage their department for the obvious favoritism reasons
Pros
easily accessible from highways, occasional lunch voucher for $5.00, docs are friendly, nurses eat their young
Cons
management is a mess, hospital units have clicks which management feeds into, extreme back stabbing re nurses, staffing issues
Certified Nurses Assistant
Certified Nurses Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMay 31, 2015
Care for patients during the preoperative process by providing pre-surgical washes, aiding the RN in completing the surgical SBAR tool, monitoring vital signs and providing support and comfort
• Obtain frequent vital signs to assess for deviations in baseline to report to RN
• Promote and assist with post surgery ambulation and other activities of daily living
• Record and monitor outputs from lines and devices such as Foley catheters, Jackson Pratt drains and chest tubes
• Assist with maintaining equipment and supplies as required
• Report baseline changes observed in patient, particular conditions or other problems to licensed nurse
Provided administrative supportive for Chief of Radiation Oncology and one other radiation oncologist
Exec.Sec.; Asst. to Chief of Rad/Onc/Medical Dir. (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTDecember 1, 2015
Worked at Norwalk Hospital for 14 years and started the job as a temp and worked my way up to be being the Executive Secretary to the Chief of the Department.

It was a highly stressful position with an extensive amount of transcription that had to be done.

I also was responsible for training other secretarial staff.
Pros
It was steady, secure employment. I met some wonderful patients and co workers at my job.
Cons
We had an antiquated system in place as far as dictation, and it took 4 times longer to do the work than it should have.
Dedicated to the health of the community
Programmer/Analyst - report developer (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTAugust 30, 2013
Typical day: Prepare weekly reports. Run processes to transfer data from the financial system to another to the reporting system. Develop SQL code to incorporate the data in the Earnings_Data table into the FTE report.
Learned: SSMS, SSIS, Access, Eclipsys, McKesson.
Management: Considerate, committed, thoughtful
Co-workers: diligent, friendly, helpful
Hardest part: absorbing the new technology while still continuing to be productive.
Most enjoyable part: that, in some small way, I am helping my community.
Pros
agreeable working environment
Cons
financial cutbacks due to government cutbacks
Nurturing environment for one to develop new skills and hone existing ones.
Physician Assistant Surgical Resident (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMay 14, 2012
Personally, I feel that this surgical residency was a necessary step to take in order to eventually meet my goal to specialize in surgery and any sub-specialty of it. It is a great opportunity for PA's that have not been given the opportunity to work straight out of school to experience "the real working world" in a controlled environment. There is guidance from the staff and the attendings and there is room to become autonomous and comfortable with one's own decision making. The tremendous time allotted to the residents in the OR was invaluable.
Extremely busy, stressful, but very productive
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTAugust 25, 2015
Come in and see what has been put on your desk from what has already come in from the fax machine and/or from the lab. Sign in on the computer to see what messages are left by the doctors that need to be done. Co-workers are very stuffy or should I say only deal with one another. When the work load becomes over bearing you are on your own. There is no enjoyable part of the job except for the fact that it is something that you like doing, but would appreciate working with more open and friendly peers.
Pros
Free lunches one day out of every week
Cons
There are no breaks because the work load is so heavy.
Great place to work if your not Lazy
Nursing Technician - ED Tech (Current Employee) –  Emergency DepartmentOctober 3, 2012
I work in the ER and its a fast paced environment you never see the same thing twice, definitely not a place for the lazy worker. Great co-workers and positive work environment. Good paid to have a career and extra work hours are available. I love my job and Norwalk Hospital. Moderate job security there are people working there longer than I have been alive and I'm 40.
Pros
overtime available, great maternity leave, excellent insurance, supportive to continuing education
Cons
potential unsafe enviornment based in belligerent patients
Responsible, Advanced, Leader in Cardiac Rehab looking to Relocate
Sr. Exercise Physiologist (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMarch 26, 2015
I am a hardworking, trustworthy and responsible Exercise Physiologist who is wanting to relocate closer to my birthplace. During my normal day I design, implement and evaluate exercise programs for Cardiac Rehabilitation patients. I also analyze data on patients on a daily, monthly and yearly basis. I collaborate efforts with physicians, and nurses to establish the best exercise regime for the increased health of our patients.
Pros
Love working with the patients, and as a team
Medical secretary and MA
Medical Secretary and MA (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTJanuary 16, 2015
Overworked and underpaid
Coworkers were fine
Too much work to do not related to the position for which I was paid for
Dealing with patients was the most rewarding part of the position
Had to work through lunches when there wasnt enough staff when someone went on vacation which happened quite often and would be paid for the lunches but I am an insulin dependent diabetic on a pump and had to eat at regular intervals to prevent hyper glycemia
Pros
45 min lunches
Cons
no overtime hours
loved working with the team in the ER
Patient Registrar I (Former Employee) –  Norwalk CTApril 1, 2015
It was a good working environment but it was only temporary. I would have loved to have received more training, instead of four weeks, I would have loved 6 weeks. The hardest part of the job was that you had to be on your feet all day and it was a challenge for me. I loved working with my co-workers. loved the team that I worked with in the ER. The nurses and security guards were very friendly.
Pros
Good people to work with in the ED
Cons
Not enough training
Good co-workers, friendly enviroment but managment is not willing to flex with my school schedule(all evening classes)
Transporter (Current Employee) –  34 Maple Street, Norwalk, CTOctober 17, 2012
Norwalk Hospital is a friendly enviroment to work at, the employees there are great for the most part except most doctors are in their own little world, they don't pay respect to anybody who isn't a doctor but as far as other employees go they are very welcoming and friendly
Pros
long lunches
Cons
managment not willing to work with your schedule
A Great Place to Work
ED Tech (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTSeptember 25, 2013
I very much enjoyed working at Norwalk Hospital mainly because:
1) I always felt supported by my fellow co-workers including management
2) mostly everyone at work was quite friendly and fun-loving
3) safety of the environment for patients and employees alike

The hardest part of the job was, well, being in the medical field many can relate, being on our feet all of the time, but that comes with the territory!
Friendly atmosphere. Everyone is most helpful.
Manager - Grace Cole Jones Gift Shop (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTApril 1, 2013
Norwalk Hospital is a great place to work. It has been a tremendous learning experience for me. I loved working with the employees and volunteers and met some truly wonderful people that I will keep in touch with always.
Pros
excellent benefits, flexible hours.
Cons
depending which department you are in, there is not much room for advancement.