Norwalk Public Schools Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Brian mcmahonJuly 5, 2017
I worked for norwalk as a custodian for 10 years and been treated like trash for 10 years. Now they are privatizing schools. Moving people around from school to school without reason. Its a very racist place to work!!!!
Pros
Cons
No compassion for custodians
I love working for them and would do it again
Kitchen Manager/ Assistant cook (Former Employee) –  CTNovember 29, 2015
Norwalk Public Schools - food service- is one of the best company's to work for there very positive and very outgoing people and they allow you to grow. thanks a lot love you guys !
What I learned
Guidance Administrative Asst (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTSeptember 10, 2015
I've learned that it is a revolving door, you never know what your day will be like. Some days its extremely busy and some days its average.
No day is ever the same and that is what makes it so great.
Central kitchen is a joke
Food service worker (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTApril 18, 2015
I have been working here for over ten years. At the beginning I thought that this would be something that I can learn and grow as well as move up in the company. I was wrong....

*New union contract every five years. When we are under a three year contract. Back pay for two years around $60.00 (A joke)

*Never get unemployment during breaks or summer break.

*Paper work has grown (your doing central office job)

*You will never work over 5.25 Hrs per day. Even if your contact states you are to work 6. Some way some how your hrs will be cut.

*Lead workers are regular food service worker. The label lead worker is not included in our union contract. All the same. Its a joke. They make the same amount as a food service worker. Just more headaches and paper work.

*Union is a joke. If central office says no. The union will not be able to help you. No point

*Too many employees start and leaves within its first / second year.

*If you are a floater you will be on call driving from school to school.

*Time work is never the same as your paid hrs.

*Surrounding districts pays almost double for the position and work. And offer unemployment.

*Snow days, etc we are out, you will not be paid.

*While working 5.25 Hours you have 2 hours to cook, and prepare 3 different meal options. (A joke when you serve over 500+ students and staff) ohhhh did I add its only two staff member's per school (you and someone else) excluding high schools.

*You must turn students away from receiving a full lunch if they have high balance k thru 12th. They would only get
  more... a cheese sandwich, milk, and in the future a fruit. Until there balances are paid.

*After serving for 2.5 To 3 hours. Paper work needs to be done. Production, temp logs, prepayments needs to be process, bank deposit, cleaning the dishes and your station. Also preparing for breakfast for the next morning alllll needs to be done before you leave.

*Oh yeah your only getting 5.25 Hrs per day. You will be working more hrs than paid hrs.
Pros
I am home while my children are home
Cons
All the above
Working under pressure is not always fun it depends on a given situation. No ping pong table for me!
Lead Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTDecember 20, 2014
A typical day at work is all about rushing, rushing, rushing having everything done on a timely manner, overtime is not allowed under not circumstance- Everyone is assigned a weekly schedule.
I have learned to take it one day at a time. Management is not an easy task, it takes a lot out of you and can be aggravating at times. Co-workers and I got along really well but one or two of them tries to copout doing things they should be doing if I do not keep on eye on them.
I find that the hardest part of my job is keeping my body temperature down and staying calm because my blood pressure starts to build up because of the intense heat in the tight space in the kitchen.
The most enjoyable part of my day is my student coming in the cafeteria and wanting to hug me and telling me they love me. That completes my day and put a smile on my face.
Pros
Children parent who meets eligibility requirement gets free or reduced lunches.
Cons
There is a summer resess and short christmas break.
Norwalk Public Schools
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTJuly 16, 2014
Great team to work with. The staff is very welcoming and very supportive of one another.
Great Food Service to work for at Brian McMahon High School
CHEF PRODUCTION ASSISTANT / FRONT LINE CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMay 18, 2014
I enjoyed working with the food service, however, left for a full time job. Job was very easy for me, and co workers were great.
Pros
Great company to work with.
Cons
I needed more hours. Hours were not available at that time.
Assuming leadership roles in the Norwalk community provided great and fun challenges
Principal of Fox Run Elementary School (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTApril 18, 2014
Having spent half of my educational career as an educational leader and the other half as an educator enabled me to apply my skills, energies and strong sense of commitment to our nation's future. I can think of few things more rewarding than touching the lives of children of all ages and making a difference.

My resume will demonstrate that I was able to apply my skills, background and resourcefulness to creating many new programs and activities that generated a lot of excitement for the entire educational community. At Fox Run, I was delighted to touch the lives of so many individuals.

If given the opportunity, I would return to the classroom or as an educational leader in a second.
Pros
Working with children, their parents and colleagues
Cons
The politics
Nice place to work
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTAugust 24, 2013
Norwalk has trouble keeping administration. Limited professional development.
Excellent School system
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMarch 11, 2013
The school system in Norwalk has improved over the years but the key players stay the same it was a great first oprritunity to gain knowledge in diffrent career paths will never forget the valueable lessons it taught me
Pros
days off when kids are off from school and great people to work around
Cons
positions can be cut due to budgets and last to come first to go
Norwalk Public Schools have problems just like other Districts
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTAugust 14, 2012
I really enjoy working with the children of Norwalk, It is so important that the children get the most out of their experience in school. They need a support system and this is what I am good at.
Prepares children to suceed
Special Ed. Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTJuly 25, 2012
Tracey Elementary School creates an atmosphere of one big happy family learning together