Norwegian American Hospital Employee Reviews

Poor Sr. Executive Team and Support
Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 26, 2016
The CEO and Sr. Executive Team lack respect for one another which leads to a very bad working relationship among the team. The CEO would always promise staff wage increases but never follow through and would not communicate back to the staff as to why they were not getting any merit, or wage adjustment of any kind. Staff turnover is very high. Very difficult to recruit experienced / talented staff as a result. Care is not the greatest.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Staff Pay
Hardworking
Emergency Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2016
Amazing experience working in an emergency room. Assisting patients reminded ms of home when I assist my grandmother with help.
My dream experience being around nurses was a beautiful experience.
Pros
Uniform, communication
Cons
Delivering urine and blood to testing lab
Great Place
Certified Alcohol Drug Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 17, 2016
I loved going to work because it was in order and I learned a great deal.
Very team oriented and you get lots training to keep you on point with your job.
Positive Changes Happening Here
Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2016
Throughout March through May 2016 NAH has brought in a new executive leadership team that is poised to make a big difference in both the employee experience and patient experience. Huron Consulting has been here - giving leadership feedback and direction on how to improve the business and the employee environment. These changes, along with a few additional factors make NAH an organization on the rise that healthcare professionals should think about - or re-examine it as a great place to practice their profession.
Pros
Independent organization, flatter, less bureaucracy, family oriented
Cons
Have to watch the financial P's and Q's closely...
Horrible Place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2016
I have worked here for about little under 6 months they are always short staffed. The manager doesn't care about her CNA on the floor she never wants to hear anything you have to say that will improve the floor. How do you expect 2 CNA to take care of 24 patients and 15 of them are complete care it is so sad that you only care about saving a dollar and could care less about your patients and the CNA that take care for them. If they have 4 CNA on the floor they will move 1 and make the other take a sitting case at night u are moving patients from 1 floor to the next stop being so cheap hire a transporter for nights they do not pay the CNA anything so I am sure they have the money. This place is a joke of a hospital it's more like a nursing home it should be closed down .
Pros
Cons
12 hour shift and one 30 min break
Learned a lot.
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 20, 2016
Started as file clerk, switched to full time receptionist and was cross trained to do correspondence, data entry and transcription specialist.
Should Have Left Job Sooner
mammography technologist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2016
Reinforced my feelings about not wanting to work at an inner city hospital. Although nice to your face, most medical imaging staff talked behind your back. The lead technologist hated me from the start and was continually bad mouthing me. The manager, who had been let go from 4 other management positions in as many years, was horrible. Talked about her staff and other managers all the time. Discussed their personal issues, the disciplinary actions, even gossiped about her own boss!

The radiologists were a very disfunctional group, didn't want to be there and complained about it all the time. Medical and Radiation Oncologists fought during tumor board meetings. Nasty, back stabbing environment.

I should have quit my position long before I did.
Pros
A few caring co-workers
Cons
Poor management, gossipy manager and staff
Experience
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 19, 2016
What a great place to call the office Lincoln Park Zoo allowed me to see how different a day to day job can be from the normal mundane to the thrill of working in close proximity of animals and dedicated zoo keepers.
productive work place with good environment
RN (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 25, 2015
i have learned many things ,this is my first job in united states,good atmosphere ,with nice workers and supportive mangement.
Exciting and
Fundraising executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2015
Good place to work but a lot is expected due to a safety net hospital having limited resources. I would recommend being part of the team. Many good people work and do good works at this hospital.
Pros
Innovative
Cons
Limited resources
Great Place to Work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2015
I love that NAH has a program to assist nurses with transitioning from long term care to a hospital setting. Patient load is typical to other area hospitals, and support staff is very willing to assist as needed.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Strange Cafeteria hours
Need of housekeeping
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2015
I like that it is well staff, I like that there is a protocol and procedure for emergencies. I liked the night nurses complete end of shift report . I am thankful for the opportunity this facility give me as a nursing student.
Pros
Gained experience
family feel
behavioral medicine (Current Employee) –  Chicago ILSeptember 28, 2015
I am not sure about other departments, but behavioral medicine has been a fairly pleasant experience as an employee. The schedules have been flexible and management is fair. As with any organization, there are times that different employees have discord, but I think overall if you remember why you come to work you can avoid arguments and see the big picture.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
benefits are lacking; tuition reimbursement is low
Salary is some what okay to the work we are doing there.
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2015
It is a acute care hospital in chicago. I worked there almost 5 years now. It is also a friendly environment and a good team work we can experience there. Management is good too.
Toxic environment
Registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2015
Typical day lasted over the scheduled 8 on a regular basis. Even when you do them a favor and work over, they act as though it was an expectation. The environment is toxic. Many of the managers are incompetent. They don't want to do their job, and try to foist it off on other departments and managers/coordinators. Petty fights about who has what office space. No raises, more agency than staff,

Head recruiter and VP of Human resources act like they are pulling the money out of their own pockets when it comes to negotiating wages at hiring. They refuse to accept there are problems, preferring to blame it on the employees. Hardest part of the job was the constant meetings. No wonder nothing gets done! They are holding meetings about meetings.

The only enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers in both the E.R. and ICU. They were class. Many of them I would trust with my family members. Not so much the rest of the hospital though.

My best day was when I walked out the doors!
Pros
Many of the hourly employees
Cons
Poor pay, lack of respect, being talked down to by incompetent leaders
No respect for employees
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2015
I worked at this hospital for 13 years and one day my manager comes and tells me I'm terminated. for no apparent reason but just because he thought I was doing more than my job description. Crazy, instead of telling me "good job". HR is the worst. several people had complained of the way this guy would harass all the employees and they did nothing but back him up. I would not recommend this place to anyone that wants respect from their employer. patients are great and so are the providers but administration is the worst.
Good experiene
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2015
I worked in the clinic setting. It was a great environment. I enjoyed working with patients. I learned a lot as a new medical assistant. I collaborated with multidisciplinary health care team. I recommend this place to work.
Pros
free parking
Cons
far away from home
Great
Head (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 5, 2015
great hospital with lots of great nurses ready to help everyone get the full experience of the medical field! Recommend everyone to try this clinical setting!!!
okay
N/A (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2015
It was an okay place to work..its a small hospital which is great for getting to know your colleagues. Can not be late for work.
Challenging place to work
Staff RN, Labor & Delivery (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2015
Nursing staff is caring & offered great compassion to the "at need" patient population. Inadequate staffing made for hectic shifts, but the staff worked well together despite many challenges. Too many changes in leadership made for inconsistencies.
Pros
Caring staff
Cons
Inconsistent management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Norwegian American Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8