Norwegian American Hospital Employee Reviews

Good experiene
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2015
Pros: free parking
Cons: far away from home
I worked in the clinic setting. It was a great environment. I enjoyed working with patients. I learned a lot as a new medical assistant. I collaborated with multidisciplinary health care team. I recommend this place to work.
GREAT
Head (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 5, 2015
great hospital with lots of great nurses ready to help everyone get the full experience of the medical field! Recommend everyone to try this clinical setting!!!
okay
N/A (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 21, 2015
It was an okay place to work..its a small hospital which is great for getting to know your colleagues. Can not be late for work.
excellent
Patient Registrar and Advocate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 5, 2015
Excellent, Excellent, Excellent, Excellent place to work, excellent benefits, excellent environment and excellent people. I would recommend this employer to anyone.
There's a Reason why they are always advertising for Help
Therapist (Former Employee), Wards 3a, 3B and 3DMay 2, 2015
Pros: Lots of Big Talk
Cons: Lack of Professionalism, Mercenary Sensibilities
I cannot express in strong enough terms my disappointment and professional embarrassment for ever being associated with this hospital. For all of the hoops I was made to jump through and the encouraging interview I had every reason to believe that I had found an ideal situation. Maybe my rose-colored glasses blinded me to not having an orientation until two weeks after I came on board, or that the team had no idea I was coming, or that it took over a month to get keys or that I never got the much promised "unit orientation". I should have noticed earlier how few people smiled or returned a "good morning". I should have taken a clue from their pre-occupation with paperwork and recording activities over actual treatment. And while we are at it, maybe someone should notice how many revolving-door patients were churned between Nursing Homes and the Hospital Wards on 3a, 3B and 3D in a given year, or how many non-psych patients such as the homeless and unemployed were given a place to crash under some spurious diagnosis. In fact, now that I think of it I don't remember ever seeing psychometrics or baselines for treatment plans the entire time I was there. Not that I would have been made privy to such information. The BH team was not a team in the strict sense but more of a collection of people who had all agreed to "business as usual" and had no interest in or patience for anything other than that. Trained, Experienced and Educated professionals need not apply.From what I experienced you have to be part of the "club" which means sharing a very "interesting" Ethic.
Challenging place to work
Staff RN, Labor & Delivery (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2015
Pros: caring staff
Cons: inconsistent management
Nursing staff is caring & offered great compassion to the "at need" patient population. Inadequate staffing made for hectic shifts, but the staff worked well together despite many challenges. Too many changes in leadership made for inconsistencies.
Fun working with cultural diversity population.
Charge Nurse, Preceptor for New RNs (Current Employee), Chicago,ILFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: enjoying the shift that i like
Cons: poor break time
Very enjoyable and fun working with staff .This Instituition value their staff and customers.The hardest part is poor RN and patient ratio.
Very nice place to work in.
Intern/Receptionist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: free lunch, you go to lunch on your time, and patient get treated well.
Cons: some patients are hard to work with.
In this environment people care for you and always ask you how you are doing, they also recognize your performance, and you learn very fast what to do and how to do it. They also don't ever put you down if you ask for help. I would love to work here again its very fun and sociable.
Not sure how it is now
Charge/Staff Nurse for Behavioral Med (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2014
Pros: at the time it was close to my home
Cons: it was close to my home
I worked there several years ago and was hired on for a unit that was suppose to be up and running within 1 month. the unit took 7 months to open and then was closed down due to low census after 1 month. Management was not supportive and barely present. The only good thing was the employees.
Professional place to work
Registered Nurse, BSN (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2014
Very good place to work. Typical nursing job in Oncology/Infusion center.
Very community friendly
Executive Assistant to the Director of Maternity (Current Employee), ChicagoOctober 31, 2014
This hospital encourages community togetherness. It is very important to the staff that the patients feel they are welcome and they are of value.
extremely fast paced
ER nurse (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2014
Pros: helping others
Cons: extremely fast paced, co-workers
not a department to start as a new grad nurse. it is extremely fast paced.
Community hospital with limited health care
Imaging Technologist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2014
Pros: technically updated with the newest radiography equipment. including the pacs system.
Cons: sub par department management and a human resources department that does not care for the employees.
Norwegian American Hospital is a place I enjoyed working at. I not only worked there but also did some of clinical training there while in the imaging program at Wilbur Wright College. I also lived in the area near where the hospital is located. Unfortunately my director at the time believed me and my co-worker were too old to be working the second shift by ourselves. And, replaced us with younger technologists. All my co-workers enjoyed my company and expressed their sincere gratitude in having me as co-worker on the second shift. The hardest part of the job came in the last days of my employment there. I could neither say or do anything to keep me employed there. Things were happening in the department of x-ray that went unattended other techs and the director were involved in suspicious and unprofessional activity. Of which me and my co-worker were no part of. Yet we two were the only ones singled out for not conforming to their ways.
it was and is a good work place and i miss being there with my co-worker
Cook (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2014
there was not one bad day that I had there it was about helping each other and working as a team
poorly managed hospital
manager (Former Employee), ChicagoSeptember 21, 2014
Pros: hospital mission
Cons: hospital management
Senior management team doesn't fully support and equip front line to get the best job done for the patient. Management only cares about covering their own button not working together to make NAH a better hospital. Incredibly high turnover of management and nursing.
Amazing
Housekeeping (Former Employee), 1044 N Francisco Ave, Chicago, IL 60622August 13, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
This was a great experience working in Norwegian Hospital. It has different opportunities for you to explore. If their was ever a chance, I will continue to work back with them permanently. They have great staff there, doctors, nurses and etc.
Typical Day
Clinical Internship (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 14, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: stressful environment
-day included: assessments, group therapy, case noting, case management, discharge planning, service coordination, crisis intervention

- working with: social workers, case managers, nurses, doctors, insurance companies, home health companies, nursing homes, patients, state and federal agencies
n/a
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 27, 2014
This hospital doesnt pay well the all the multiple job duties
My Day in Norweigan
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 16, 2014
My typical day in norweigan is doing my vitals, charting them on the computer, and assisting my patients. My co-workers are good people to work with. The hardest part of this job was the parking there. The most enjoyable part of the job is patient satisfaction.
n/a
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: not enough supplies.
Good benefits. Very little team work. Not enough supplies. Things broken. No communication.