Norwich University Employee Reviews in United States

Great work environment
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Northfield, VTJune 1, 2016
Wonderful people to work with. Easily manageable workload with plenty of time to complete the tasks at hand. Supportive and polite staff.
Well Organized
Tutor (Former Employee) –  NothfieldMay 9, 2016
I enjoyed working with a different kinds of students.both the most enjoyable and most frustrating part of the job was reaching the students and making them understand the material
Pros
Helps maintain a solid understanding of basic material.
Cons
Can sometimes be a challenge to reach students
Meaningful work
Spanish Tutor (Current Employee) –  Northfield, VTApril 27, 2016
This job paired me with students at the University that came to the Academic Achievement Center, at Norwich University, seeking help in Spanish. I would work, individually, with students for a full semester, in order to help them thrive in their language classes. I would meet once a week, for about 1 hour per student, with, on average, about 10 students a week.
This was a very fulfilling job, that allowed me to watch students succeed and have more confidence in themselves and their abilities.
Supervised Dorms
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Northfield, VTMarch 22, 2016
Rewarding experience. Met and worked with many new people and learned a lot about working with others. Also learned the importance of accountability.
Administrative position
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northfield, VTOctober 23, 2015
There is no direction for growth in this position. Very little communication between the supervisor and staff. Poor planning is evident.
Some of the work that is done is only done twice a year. Must be a good note taker to remember certain events that are repeated each year.
Pros
Free gym
Cons
Long walk to parking if you can get a space.
Enjoyable place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Northfield, Vermont, USASeptember 1, 2015
responsible for security of the university 24 hours a day. Also responded to all emergencies on campus. Wonderful campus.
Pros
Free tuition for family members
Cons
No possible advancement in field employed
Excellent work environment
Data Entry/Office Worker (Former Employee) –  Northfield, VTJuly 6, 2015
Completed tasks needed to help archive employee records and coordinated campus events through equal opportunities officer
Higher education college
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northfield, VTMay 27, 2015
Very low pay, no incentive to do a better job, poor communication between mgmt. and staff. Does have a gym to work out in and you can take courses free. Long walk from parking to the office. Very old building to work in, drafty, no air conditioning, no kitchen, bathroom is gross.
Pros
Free education
Cons
Low pay, no incentives to do a better job.
Great place to get a few hours of paid work inbetween classes.
Engineering Work Study--Office and Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northfield, VTFebruary 18, 2015
I was only a work study there, so I can't tell you about the employment culture that deals with the salaried staff and faculty. My work shifts were usually an hour or two at a time. I really didn't have 'co-workers', just my boss really. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to feel like I made a difference in somebodies day, whether it was making it easier or just helping them out in some way.
Pros
good pay for student workers.
Temporary Summer work
Cleaning Crew (Former Employee) –  Northfield, VTSeptember 22, 2014
A typicsl day would consist me cleaning, moving school funisture and waxing floors in dorms rooms.
Fun
Battalion Runner (Former Employee) –  Northfield, VTMay 22, 2014
Good learning environment for training future leaders. Focuses a lot on respect, honor and integrity.
Produce clerk
Norwich University Athletic Training Student (Current Employee) –  Northfield, VTMarch 20, 2014
I personally enjoyed being a produce clerk. Always having something to do and moving heavy boxes is physical and can be fun. Typically I would come in the morning and cut the greens then work on stocking the rest of my day.
Most political workplace ever encountered.
Professor (Former Employee) –  Northfield, VTFebruary 20, 2014
Norwich has a political culture of character assassination, bullying and "gotcha." Many, not all, faculty are more concerned about promotion and tenure than teaching. Concern for students is looked upon as a detriment to one's career. The best part of the job is the students, many of them the first of their families to attend college. The worst part is the hide-bound academic culture that favors research and "publish or perish" above all else.
Pros
great students, eager to learn.
Cons
see above
Major Gifts/Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Northfield, VTJuly 1, 2013
A typical day required 8 to 9 hours of work. The President's leadership of the University is very special.
Productive Hard working place with greate reward
Volunteer Programs (Former Employee) –  Northfield VTJune 1, 2013
Its a tough job but has great pay offs.
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Micro managed
Grounds (Former Employee) –  Fac opsMarch 14, 2013
The benefits are good but with that said every move you make is micro managed by management be fore warned before applying your suggestions on How to make a job better does not matter to them. And last but not lease the pay is not good for the amount and type of work you do.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
micro managed, pay vs type of work done
Welcoming workplace
Work Study Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northfield, VTFebruary 5, 2013
I really enjoyed this job, I was given tasks to complete each day, between filing, making copies, and being a "runner" for whatever the office needed
University provides great family atmosphere
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Northfield, VTOctober 22, 2012
I was given freedom to work without being micromanaged. The people I worked with were great with people and were genuinely concerned in making sure our customers received the assistance they needed.
Pros
great health and retirement benifits
Great for students
Summer Research Student (Former Employee) –  Northfield, VTJune 1, 2012
I was a student at Norwich University and participated in the summer research program. It was great to get a taste of engineering that was more like actual engineering instead of just being in the classroom. My schedule was flexible as long as I got 400 hours in within a 10 week period. I worked with one of my professors and had a great working relation with him.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Had a fun time working on my schools solar house for the solar decathalon.
Student (Former Employee) –  Northfield, Vermont, 05663May 18, 2012
Started in the morning at 8. We would meet up with our professors and we would discuss what needed to be done for the day. Then we would go out get those jobs completed. We would also discuss about design opportunity to improve the solar house's performance or livability.

4.2