I work the third ("grave yard") shift at Norwood Hospital
Fireman/Boiler Operator (Current Employee) – Norwood, MA – September 19, 2013
* A typical "day" is me managing the operation of the boiler(s) and (AC) chiller(s).
* Working alone overnight helps one get up close & personable with the moodiness and performance fluctuations with Fire Tube boilers during changing demands from usage & weather conditions.
* Because of my 3rd shift time parameters, I hardly, if ever, interface with management. I would like to meet them sometime.
* As far as my co-workers, we all get along really well when we cross paths during shift changes.
* The hardest part of my job, even more than the overnight hours, is the grueling 126 mile round trip commute. Especially the return trip back home from Norwood, MA to Rockport, MA during the height of morning rush hour traffic, after just coming off an eight hour overnight shift.
* But, even with all that, I still love this job, the people I work with & the whole vibe of the hospital & the power plant itself. I just wish my place of employment could be just a little closer to home.