Not Your Average Joe's Employee Reviews

Bad
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Acton, MAJanuary 8, 2018
You can do better. Poor run company. Quality of life and management team very poor, especially Regional Managers.
Extremely cut throat on the store team.
Pros
Cons
worst quality of life ever
culture here is ran too much by hourly employees rather than mgmt
BARTENDER/SERVER/CERTIFIED TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RIJanuary 5, 2018
Good company with forward thinking when thinking is used. Very upper mgmt. shows concern and passion about staff and culture. Store is going through positive changes.
Pros
convenient location
Cons
leadership tends to lack
Professional
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Medford, MAJanuary 4, 2018
I really enjoyed working with them. Great staff! They took care of you as long as you did your job. Fun clean environment. Able to move up in the company if you worked for it.
Difficult Management
Server (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAJanuary 3, 2018
Management was sloppy and uncommunicative. A typical day at work consisted of very few seated tables, mediocre tips, and stressful dinner rushes. The only good part was the bar staff.
Summer job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 26, 2017
I worked here one summer and really enjoyed it. I had to quit because I kept getting scheduled during times I wasn't supposed to work. Over all a good company!
Fast pace, quick days, fun environment
Server/Waitress (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHDecember 21, 2017
Fast-pace, quick days, fun environment. The staff is very helpful, customers are always happy and satisfied. It feels great to be a part of this awesome team!
Ok place to work but no advancement
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Lansdowne Town Center, VANovember 8, 2017
worked here temporarily as a side job. they had us try all the food which was nice, but there was no career advancement unless you wanted to be a server and the servers had their own thing going ad didnt want new people in. As a host, there was one girl who thought she ran the place and she was an obnoxious host and people knew it but management did nothing. It was slow at times and there was nothing to do. The hours you get are awful and they picked the people they liked to get better hours. the food is good but we constantly got complaints about the food being bland and overpriced. the managers were nice but there was a HUGE turnover rate there.
Pros
occasional free food, nice managers
Cons
poor hours and poor pay. managers had their favorite people.
excellent place to work
pizza cook (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAOctober 30, 2017
by far the cleanest restaurant i had the pleasure to work for, the chefs would delegate one person from each station to do line sweep despite busy rushes
Quick paced with friendly employees
Server Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ardmore, PASeptember 29, 2017
Fast paced rushes with time to spare in between for breaks and catch with side work. Management was fairly understanding except with vacation days. The other employees were friendly however.
Great customers poor management
Server Manager (Former Employee) –  Wabash, INSeptember 28, 2017
Lack of communication from management to employees
No team environment everyone for self
Food always inconsistent
Servers work hard
Customers are great
good learning experience to learn new cuisine
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MASeptember 14, 2017
It was a very fast paced, hard working environment. Overall, it was a good job and I feel like I did learn some new things which is always a plus. I thought the pay was low and it was just a very stressful and chaotic environment.
Good Company
EXECUTIVE SOUS CHEF (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAAugust 26, 2017
Good, growing restaurant company. Good structure, good compensation, corporate structure. If you have restaurant management experience and want a chance to move up doing things with integrity
Started off strong but now lacking identity and direction
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 25, 2017
Started with the company in 2012 and it was a dream. Great concept with a good neighborhood vibe and enough structure but still allowed personality and fun to shine through. Guests were great and management were awesome. Now, it has turned into a wannabe corporate restaurant that doesn't know its feet from its head.

Surrounded by coworkers that could be my little brothers and sisters, made for an interesting dynamic. Especially when they would expect everything to happen for them without actually having to work. If you are a hard worker and know how to hustle, there is plenty of money to be made, just be prepared that you will be one of the few that actually work.

Management is all over the place, say one thing and do the other. None are on the same page when it comes to holding people accountable and their expectations. Basically the staff runs the place while the managers are too busy drinking the corporate juice. It's a shame when your management team doesn't have your back. There is absolutely no teamwork, its basically every man for themselves. Don't expect to actually feel appreciated, because when there is any recognition, it feels just as empty as if it never happened.

Finally be prepared to serve the most entitled guests you may ever encounter. Joe's has groomed their guests to believe they are the greatest gift to the earth. Now don't get me wrong...I have been in the industry for 10 years and know that people to go out to be served and have a good time. However, there is a difference from serving the guest and the guests expecting you to be their servant.
  more...

Every week there seems to be a new coupon or promotion to "drive sales" and keep our guests coming back. It all just comes across as a cry to get business, which is a shame in itself. People should want to come in because of your great service and food, not because they have a $5 coupon.

Overall this company started off great. Unfortunately over the years, due to over expansion and losing sight of their original concept, Not Your Average Joe's is probably the most AVERAGE restaurant concepts out there. Ironic?
Pros
plenty of shifts, great regulars
Cons
poor management, coupons galore, lazy coworkers
productive and good work envirment
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAAugust 21, 2017
very good work. competitive and fast paced atmosphere with room for promotion. Lots of talent and high standards. must perform work to standards of company and excel standards. provides good sense of accomplishment
Pros
learn great cooking skills and time management
Cons
very few people on each shift and lots of responsibility
high volume environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 15, 2017
i had lots of fun in this fast paced restaurant. I worked here on and off for 3 years. My sister also works for corporate. we opened up four stores together.
Overall, fun, challenging, and interesting
Associate General Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJune 20, 2017
On a daily basis, when I was the opening manager, I'd checked previous nightly notes, to be sure if we had a large reservations, that we would set the dining room/patio up for the group. I'd check to see if there were any catering orders, that needed to go out or be picked up. Upon arrival of servers, bartenders and host, I'd be sure to inform them of any large parties or set ups. The Chef would take care of the cooks of any information, I would share with him. I'd write a floor plan, so arriving servers would know what section and tables they would be assigned to. Before we open for lunch, I have a staff shift meeting, to listen, inform and motivate the staff and get them ready to give our guest an outstanding lunch dining experience. During the shift, I'd visit tables and be visible, to help and assist staff, as needed, including talking to guest. Throughout the shift, I'd make each moment as fun as possible.
The same procedure occurs, if I was the closing manager. I'd set my dinner shift up with a floor plan, ensure store readiness, inform, listen and motivate the staff, and get ready to a successful shift.
Throughout the shifts, I ensure the staff, both F.O.H.(front of house)servers, host, bartenders, bussers, and B.O.H.(back of house), expediters, cooks and dishwashers, are all having a good time, informing them of the flow of the shift, feedback of any areas of opportunities, and make it fun. Most importantly, we are staying focused.
Pros
Building sales, happy guest, fun work environment
Cons
Less than 100% product availibilty, short staff
Amazing food quality and Concept
Line Leader (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHJune 19, 2017
Great Food. Amazing Quality. Great Job or place to eat. I only left to pursue another career that paid a lot more money. If they could raise their pay rates then they could retain a lot of talent.
Pros
Clean, Quality Food, Amazing Training
Cons
Pay Rate, Overtime policies
Fun work place
Busser/Server (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJune 2, 2017
A fast paced environment with friendly coworkers and a good management team. Although there isn't any room for growth and during certain seasons money can be scarce.
Am serouisly need the job please
Restaurant Server (Former Employee) –  Italy, TXJune 1, 2017
Life is all about srungle in this word work hard t get what you want to become stay focus friend bcos nothing is bharder then death I love my lifre by
Enjoyable place
Busser/ Server assistant (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MAMay 10, 2017
My role was to make sure all the tables in the resturant were set and clean for the customers to come in and enjoy their dinner. Also to clean tables off and make sure the table is reset.

it was an enjoyable place to work, learned how to manage multiple things at once, kept myself on my feet
Pros
reduced prices
Cons
Long hours on my feet

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Not Your Average Joe's. Our community is ready to answer.