NOTTINGHAM CITY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Ncc it
Application Management Officer (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, NottinghamshireJanuary 13, 2017
I suspect the biggest issue with working in a local authority is similar in most. The problem being long term job security. Every couple of years there is a major restructure. You may or may not have a job, or one you want, after working hard to get the job you want. People are moved around and it is very insecure and constantly changing, making it hard to concentrate at the job in hand.

The good things about working at NCC were colleagues and other staff. Generally despite the hardship of working under austerity conditions people are very friendly and work hard together. There is opportunity to move around with in the council.
Pros
A large variety of job positions and from a IT point of view, a lot of technology to support and learn about
Cons
Job security and constant restructures
Fun Place to work
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, NottinghamshireJanuary 9, 2017
Nice place to work. Interesting work and nice people that are their to help you succeed. Options to work in different areas and learn new skills on a regular basis.
workplace
Business Suppor (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, NottinghamshireDecember 2, 2016
working at NCC is a god place to work because it allows you to develop new skills and gain the understanding working in a government organisation. i would recommend it to anyone.
the worse place i have ever worked
h.g.v class 1 (Current Employee) –  NottinghamNovember 5, 2016
bad place to work, i do not recommend to anyone you are treated very bad there is a culture of blaming the workforce for all the problems when in fact it is very bad managers that cause all the problems
Pros
Cons
everything is bad
productive and fun experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  NottinghamOctober 28, 2016
it was a very good experience especially for someone who has never been in that kind of environment. i was made to feel welcome and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Pros
meeting new people
rewarding
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  NottinghamOctober 7, 2016
A typical day at works includes planning for play and youth sessions for young people
I work with children aged between 5 -19 as part of an early help team who help young people achieve their aims and goals and also support parents with the development of their child/children.
I really enjoy my job especially helping young people achieve something in their lives.
Pros
helping young people achieve
Cons
working evenings and weekends
pleasant enviroment to work
School Crossing Patrol (Former Employee) –  NottinghamSeptember 29, 2016
escorting children and parents across a busy road, to be kind and listen and look out for traffic.good working relationships with community protection and police. trying to get traffic to stop when walking into the road with the lollipop sign getting hassle from people parking to close to the crossing. pleasant manners from parents always acknowledging me .
Pros
free uniform and mobile phone
Cons
some abusive language from passing motorists
Great international team and leadership
Policy Adviser (Former Employee) –  NottinghamSeptember 19, 2016
Fantastic role in Leading on the international strategic agenda for culture and international ambitions of Nottingham City Council, driving EUROCITIES culture forum and EUROCITIES creative industries working group especially through the development/implementation of EU funded projects
• Ensuring political engagement on culture and creative industries with the Members of the Cabinet and local stakeholders fostering local engagement on European issues

• Write analytical and strategic papers to address the European and local interest of the Nottingham City Council
Pros
Great benefits, fantastic travel across Europe to visit target Festivals
Cons
temporary contract
settled work enviroment
Residential Childcare Worker (Former Employee) –  NottinghamSeptember 7, 2016
As a night staff within residential care the job required a lot of my personal time as finding the balance of sleeping during the day and staying up throughout the night was difficult.
Pros
enhancements
Cons
night shifts
very good work place
sales assistant, shop sales, (Former Employee) –  NottinghamSeptember 5, 2016
very good work place, friendly nice people, very good management, good rate of pay, training people with disabilities, good location, friendly environment.
Productive busy
Registration Assistant (Current Employee) –  The Council HouseAugust 25, 2016
Since working for the Registrars I have become aware of so many different cultural backgrounds laws and legislations concerning births deaths and marriages.
I have found it a pleasure working there but need to broaden my horizons
Pros
Great workplace
Cons
Too much overtime
Frustrating workplace
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  NottinghamJuly 7, 2016
I use the computer checking emails. Looking on the council system to explore what has happened with cases allocated.

In putting on the system to complete assessments on cases.

We are constantly learning in our job from colleagues and clients.

Its a very busy supportive team. Hardest and frustrating part of the job is completing assessments.

The most enjoyable part is when you have worked with families that want to improve their lives, and you see the progress as you are working with them.
Offers opportunities to progress even for those with no professional qualification
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  NottinghamJune 19, 2016
Lots of opportunities for senior roles within Nottingham City even for people without professional qualifications which has increased enthusiasm and excitement for many. The best thing was the opportunity to complete the full award on Practice Education.

I have been fortunate to develop in-depth experiential knowledge of adult social care and develop specialism in Continuing Healthcare for adults -which can be transferred to Childrens' Continuing Healthcare.

My managers have been supportive and provided me with reflective supervision. I have been supported to grow in the direction of my choice. They allowed me to have time to shadow childcare practitioners over the last four years.

The hardest thing has been to make the transition from adults to children whilst still meeting my performance targets.

I particularly enjoyment my engagement with citizens especially when they tell me that no one ever explained something the way I did. Because of my experience, I am confident and clear when explaining services and opportunities especially in relaying what is possible and available to citizens and their carers/families.
Pros
flexibility ie homeworking and hot-desking, good teams, established partnerships, experience in most fields of adult social care ie community, duty, hospital, safeguarding, continuing care
Cons
too many changes like software which can slow teams down and effect is huge waiting lists, lots of NQSW so little in way of experienced role-models
Nice place
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham City CentreJune 9, 2016
loved having work experience there. lovely teams there. they also have really nice coffee. the whole building is amazing and i would love to work there if possible
Great overall but some difficulties
Apprentice Business Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  NottinghamMay 17, 2016
Nottingham city council are a great company overall and are great to work with but there can tend to be a few odd problems and troubles that should not be happening within.
Pros
Flexible, Helpful
Fun and Helpful
Groundsman. (Former Employee) –  BulwellApril 14, 2016
The employers where very helpful unlike the manegement.
Learned alot about the work place and understand about work life.
Productive and fun workplace
NETWORK SERVICES MANAGER (Current Employee) –  NottinghamApril 12, 2016
Productive and fun workplace
7.4h day but usually work more than that.
Lots of work/projects. High pressure to deliver projects.
great place to work
Catering assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham City CentreMarch 13, 2016
Arrive at work communicate with manager what was on that day what food we were preparing and orders from staff that were required and special requirements from students. prepare food and get tables ready food for service help with ordering if manager was off i would do this myself liase with co-workers that would arrive ready for dinner service. I had a good relationship with manager so we always communicated well and hings always ran smoothly i also had an eagerness to learn new recipes or new ways to do things.Any problems or concerns by the school or parents were soon ironed out. I loved seeing the smiles on the children's faces especially on certain days when the children knew what was on the menu that day.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
hours not that long
Open Workplace with a Community Feel
Change Consultant (Current Employee) –  NottinghamFebruary 26, 2016
NCC employs a lot of passionate and creative people. I worked as part of the Organisational Transformation Team as well as being a member of a Project Team working with Social Care colleagues to help design and implement a new Case Management System. The community feel to the workplace, supported by hot-desking and informal meeting spaces provides flexibility to work where you need to.
Pros
Nice canteen space
Cons
Not a lot of natural daylight
Good and diverse experience
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  NottinghamshireFebruary 23, 2016
Working with people of different background and various culture and believes make the job rewarding and lively

Always on the move. the co-worker are very understanding.
Pros
FLEXIBLE
Cons
LONG HOURS

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NOTTINGHAM CITY COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.