NOVA HOME LOANS Employee Reviews

Family oriented, flexible, and fun place to work
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 28, 2015
A typical work day is busy with emails, bookkeeping for the subsidiary companies, accounts payable and accounts receivable reconciliation, customer and revenue deposits, processing commission reports for 1099 payouts, maintaining and updating schedules, journal entries, and month end accrual journal entries. I enjoy this position and working for this company. I work well with my co-workers and have learned so much from management. The owners of this company promote a family oriented and flexible work schedule culture. The hardest part of the job is relying on others before being able to finish some of your own tasks.
Focused on Quality not Quantatity
Operations (Current Employee) –  ArizonaSeptember 29, 2015
Was personally asked to skip steps as part of the Operations Department from the Sales Side. Little in house assistance with on the job training. Fires women who become pregnant but blames it on something else. No diversity.
Compensation
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale,AZMay 5, 2015
They do not give annual merit raises and they allow veryy liutlle time of paid time off accrual. Benefits are expensive.The work load assignment is based off who is friends with who
LEARNED A LOT
Sr. Loan processor (Current Employee) –  Colorado Spgs, COJanuary 13, 2015
Great place. I would recommend anybody looking for a loan to go to Nova. There were always great surprises by insurance companies and our sales team. My typical day was always busy. Never a dull moment. Great company parties. Company paid very well with incentives.
Excellent company and work environment
Loan Officer Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson AZOctober 5, 2014
Working with customers and building files for mortgage transactions; I learned the mortgage industry from start to finish. Management was knowledgeable and training was excellent. Co-workers were the best,friendly and fun. The hardest part of the job was trying to digest the massive amount of information provided. The enjoyable part of the job was the amount opportunity available to employees and the employee appreciation events.
Pros
employee appreciation events
Cons
there aren't any
Great starting point for a life in mortgage
Funding Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 16, 2014
Nova Home Loans is a fantastic place to work as far as family oriented, well rounded companies go. While working there I received above average bonuses, catered lunches, made long lasting business relationships with upper management and co-workers, and discovered the ins and outs of working in home loans. In my 2 year period I learned funding, closing, pre-funding, pre-closing, shipping, wiring, and scanning. However, I was a funding assistant and I did not get paid to learn these other aspects. Also, my position was terminated when the number of loans slowed down and learning any of the above skills did not save my job. I had an amazing boss and co-workers, probably some of the best people I will ever meet. Which was good because I did get to spend a considerable amount of time with them on busy days when (depending on your job) you needed to go in at 5AM and leave at 10PM. Nova's salary has been noted to be bleak at best compared to other mortgage companies. I made slightly over minimum wage and relied on bonus checks to supplement my income. Though I was laid off before this occured, I heard that the last quaterly bonus was not handed out because of budget cuts. If you have a degree in something, chances are you will not get a position in that field. I knew many people with degrees in marketing, admin, and business that were scattered around the offices. Some of these people attempted to get into the field that they studied in. Very few succeeded. If you work in expediting, you will not have a job for long. The longest I've seen an expeditor last at Nova is a year. This burdens  more... other employees who rely on expediting to refill folders, fastners, bring them mail, send down time sensitive documents (time really matters in this industry) and basically do their job. I have had to help out expediting many times because they have fired all but one of their employees and that employee is supposed to train the new hires. My pre-funding team actually got into a fight with expediting and as a way of getting back at us witheld loan packages that needed to get to our funders. This is a family's house that we are talking about here! Upper management (CEO, CFO) rely on a team of woefully underpaid employees to do their job and then reap the rewards of this success. We did get an annual Christmas party every year, but we never got a raise, and these days my floor rarely gets a company lunch for bringing in over 200 loans (the most this company has ever seen.) I will say that this is a great starter company, but much like Magnus or other mortgage companies that have bankrupted in the past, if Nova doesn't do something to change their ethcial beliefs on how to run a company, they will not outlast the competition.  less
Pros
free lunches, bonuses, great employee relationships
Cons
unstable, childish work environment
Fast Paced Organization
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 23, 2014
A professional organization whose main focus is customer service. Due to the customer service aspect and being in the mortgage industry, NOVA is a fast paced organization.

Everyone from the owners and executive management to the employees are expected to work hard. Leaving problems for someone else or ignoring problems just isn't acceptable at NOVA.

All employees pitch in and do their job to the best of their ability. It is a stressful environment, but worth it for anyone who likes to work hard.
Pros
bonuses, benefits and company sponsored parties/outings.
Cons
the pace can be difficult for some to take.
Do Not Trust Them
Processor (Former Employee) –  ScottsdaleMay 28, 2014
Nova was ok at best if you arent a loan officer and a high producing one at that don't expect anything from the company processors are trained from within so they think their methods are the best they don't encourage any growth such as moving on from processing to sales so don't expect that they drink during work hours and the office can turn into the romper room
Pros
freedom to come and go as you please
Cons
lack of pay for non loan officers
NOT my thing
Processor / Executive Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 8, 2014
This company really only rewards the loan officers and executive team. I would imagine it being more fun working in a small bank.
It was an experience.
Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 7, 2014
It was a job. I loved my co-workers. Management, well it was a job.
Enjoyable place to work.
DE and conventional Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Chandler, ArizonaDecember 9, 2013
Great employer.
The atmosphere was team oriented and relaxed. All the co-workers acted as team members and worked together to be productive in the mortgage industry. The most difficult part of the job with this employer was having enough work to do.
Pros
relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
Cons
lack of work.
Efficent, strong values, great company
Loan set-up/Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 8, 2013
They are a great company to work for. They are great at what they do and there are tons of opportunity to move up within the company.
Pros
they treat their employees well
Cons
pay scale
Average
Facilities Coordinator / IT (Former Employee) –  6245 E. Broadway Blvd Tucson, Arizona 85711October 21, 2013
Average typical work day.
I enhanced my knowledge of office space projects
poor management knowledge, skills or communication
average co-workers
office projects and general miscommunication from manager
traveling and internal customer service I provided to staff. I constantly receive positive responses or feedback for completing assisgnments
Pros
bonus pay / profit sharing
Cons
unprofessional conduct of manager
Best Team Work Spirit
Senior Remote Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 23, 2013
Excellent place to work. Top Executives were the best I have ever worked with. They promoted a wonderful team spirit, never hesitated to visit each department as time permitted; just to say HI, and ask how things were going, and were compassionate and caring.
Unfortunately, I returned to Nova in Dec. 2012 and was laid off in 09/2013. I was the last UW hired, during what was then a crazy busy time, unfortunately as is not uncommon in this industry, we hit another time in this business when refinance business came to a screeching halt as the interest rates began to rise.
The workflow decreased so significantly that it was necessary to begin decreasing the underwriting staff.
Pros
wonderful executive team
Cons
i got laid off
Nova is great
Loan Officer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 11, 2013
Nova is a great company. Senior management is amazing and they have all been "down in the trenches" so they are very family oriented.
Productive fast pace work place
Loan Processor Assistant (Former Employee) –  phoenix AZOctober 22, 2012
Overall the company is a really good company to work for. It was a different field in the mortgage industry for me as i was used to default servicing and this was an originations position. I enjoyed learning what i did from the team mates.
Excellent company to originate mortgages with.
Mortgage Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZJuly 23, 2012
Finally found a company that allowed me to offer the best interest rates from the best banks to my customers. It was up to me to close my deals and I closed every one.
loved the place
Doc' Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix,Az.February 22, 2012
Great company benefits,people everything was great about thi company.
Pros
working for them
Cons
layed off