Nova Southeastern University

Nova Southeastern University Employee Reviews

Loved Working for NSU
Enrollment Processing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLMarch 1, 2016
I loved everything about NSU, It was a career of forever learning and teaching. I was constantly busy but never overwhelmed. I had a great crew, they always worked hard no matter how much work we had. I loved to give them my support when possible by sitting along side the crew helping them scan or Data entry during our busy time of enrollment Benefits were great and as an overall company I would love to work for them again.
Pros
Everything company was great.
Cons
Changed standard requirement to have a degree preventing being rehired.
Challenging workplace
technical support engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 24, 2015
A typical day work consists of receiving and processing all the IT-related equipment that comes for the university. In addition, I am responsible for configuring whatever machines arrive for end-users around campus. Management is not very supportive. The workload has increased and new systems have been implemented with little to no training. My co-workers are very negative and constantly complain about their job duties so the workplace environment tends to be toxic. The hardest part of the job is doing so much work without being recognized, appreciated and compensated. In addition, there is a feeling of uncertainty when it comes to job advancement. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to work under little to no supervision and making sure the users are satisfied with their equipment needs.
Pros
benefits, location, autonomy
Cons
pay, structure, management, systems, employees
Good work-life balance and benefits
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 16, 2016
It is a good company to work for as far as work-life balance and benefits. Management can be good or bad depending on what department you work. Salary compensation is below market average.
Great Balance
HPD Patient Representative I (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 15, 2016
Great work life balance with fantastic benefits. Salary is comparative to other positions. But the best part is the ability to return to school
Light work and Great Benefits
Technology Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 24, 2016
The job is great, you learn as you go. You get to build your networking and you get time to study for certifications. It pays for class and management are lay back as long as labs assignment are completed. The hardest part of the job is getting train and projects because it's time consuming.
Pros
Flexible, pays for certifications and School
Cons
Low Salary, and low technology
Flexible yet challenging atmosphere
Lab Assistant/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dania Beach, FLAugust 10, 2016
I had several positions at Nova Southeastern University, one of which was through a grant given by another company, but those that were run through the actual University were variable. Although all of my positions were some sort of laboratory assistant/researcher position, the different supervisors taught me how to work with many different types of management styles. The hardest part of these jobs was the miscommunication that often occurred between departments, although communication within my department was usually pretty efficient. The most enjoyable part was being acknowledged for my hard work, especially when I went above and beyond for my coworkers or management.
benefits
Cons
minimal pay
Appreciate the opportunity. Time to move on.
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Davie, FL 33314March 7, 2016
The typical work day varied depending on what time of the year. I have learned to work in an environment where multiple things are going on at the same time. I feel that management could be better organized and, attentive to the needs of the employee's need to get the job dome efficiently. My co-workers on my level are great to work with. The hardest part of the job was having to many people wanting to be in charge and,the constant unnecessary tension. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the students.
Pros
free education
Cons
extremely low pay
First career in a professional work environment
Medical Records Custodian (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLJanuary 19, 2016
NSU was an excellent opportunity for me to grow as a person as it offered a outstanding working experience. In my years at Nova I met so many great individuals that inspired me to think big and go hard in life. Also, with benefits such as tuition assistance makes it a no-brainer in pursuing an education at their prestigious University. Overall, I couldn't have picked a better place to work after graduating high school as they provided me with the knowledge, discipline, and experience to take life by the horns!
Pros
Challenging professional work environment, access to top of the line learning facility, working alongside physicians, students, attorneys, and a great customer service staff
Cons
Commute
Rewarding Experience
Financial Aid Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 26, 2015
I retired from Nova in November 2014 and it was a very interesting learning experience.

I learned to deal with difficult people and managed to satisfactory engage in uniting the employees to an almost family level with my co-workers in ALL levels, from the cleaning people to the Directors.

Guided students from different cultures and backgrounds to a successful graduation, and continuing to more advanced careers. Inspired students to excel in what they learn.

My biggest satisfaction was on graduation day when students and parents approached me to thank me for the encouragement and assistance to their success.
Pros
Develop interesting people skills
Cons
It was my time to retire from full time job
Good company to work for
Exec Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLApril 19, 2016
I have been with Nova for over 10+yrs, they are a good company to work for if you want longevity and job security. They do lack on the pay scale and for the last few years our yearly raises have not been on time as in the past. They base raises off of student enrollment so you may get a raise just not every year. There tends to be a lackadaisical attitude that gets developed while working here because it's not a high pressure/high stress work environment. The great thing is that you get lots of time off for family. Vacation days, 1sick day a month, and 3personal days a year not to mention they close the University for a week during the Christmas holiday. This comes in handy especially when you have young children.
Pros
Vacation, sick & 3 personal days a year
Cons
high deductibles on health ins, low on pay
Fun energetic work environment filled with positive people..
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLAugust 8, 2016
Work day consist of clocking in and doing some morning duties. Then proceeds to answering calls and creating appointments. Also, setting up events around school.

Management was great easy going and helped in every way they could.

Co-workers were fun and always happy.

The hardest part of the job was explaining to students the importance of not procrastinating.

The best part of the job was the work environment.
Horrible Place
Finance Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 6, 2016
it started as a positive note and quickly grew disgusting. Management just turn their heads to what is really going on within the department. I was lied too, bullied and threaten. What applies to one employee does not apply to all. They will overload you with work
and breaks are not allowed, oh you can stand at your work station but DO NOT walk the parking lot for 10 minutes big NO NO!
This was a joke of a job, the free bagels on Friday was supposed to make up for all the misery. No thank you!
Pros
Health benefits & Hours
Cons
everything else
Not an easy job to perform but can be a great jumping off point if worked right
Communication Systems Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLSeptember 14, 2015
It is not easy to work in a 24hr dept. that requires you to have exemplary customer service skills. The daily calls can be overwhelming and frustrating when you are in a room for 8 to 16 hrs. I enjoyed the work I did and took great pride in it. The management could do more to acknowledge the good work the staff performs on a daily basis. The calls taken can be from opening a classroom to a gas leak requiring multiple buildings be evacuated.
Pros
health benefits, tuition waiver
Cons
not enough appreciation shown for the hard work and hours put in by staff
Wonderful atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLAugust 8, 2016
Loved working at Nova Southeastern. Wonderful atmosphere to work in, professionalism and compassion for students was outstanding, I looked forward to coming to work everyday.
Pros
Amazing Administration
Cons
Only con was I had to leave due to moving to Central Florida
Great place to maximize on the work life balance.
Financial Information Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLFebruary 12, 2016
Great place to maximize on the work life balance in terms of your time, however your exposure to new technology is limited.
Great working environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Miami Beach, FLOctober 21, 2015
Nova Southeastern was a great place to work, a family oriented environment. Graduate students were professional educators who were interested in obtaining doctorates in their area of expertise. I handled students who were having difficulties in the program and which I advised them on the policies and procedures to file grievances and appeals of grades, etc. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to help the students work through their difficulties and achieve their goals. The hardest part of this job was, again, witnesses them leave the program/graduate school and not achieve their goals.
Pros
Free educational benefits for employees; half tuition for spouse/children; great working environment
Cons
Pay not equal to job responsibilities
I took care of four or five servers hosing vSphere
Virtualization and Networking Lab Director (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLJuly 12, 2016
Odd hours, student position, on-call work. It provided a lot of experience for what I considered the typical system administrator experience.
Pros
learned about my field
Cons
low pay, high demands
Professional and Ethical University
Admissions Specialist Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 1, 2015
Nova Southeastern University is a very professional and ethical university. They are well known for their Graduate and Doctoral programs in the health profession; such as Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, Dental program, Physician's Assistant, Anesthesiologist Assistant program, Health Sciences, Public Health, Pharmacy, Occupational Therapy, and Nursing just to name a few. Our Enrollment Process Department, Admissions Management Specialist team are a wonderful group of people I've had the pleasure of working with, and the management team is just as impressive. The students were amazing to work with, very intelligent and working with them gave me a new found respect for those who become Doctors, Dentists, etc. anyone in the health profession. Additionally, their Doctor of Education and Law School are top programs as well across the nation. Nova Southeastern University is a family, a family that you can be proud of and grow with throughout the years.
Student leaders
Director of Student Activities (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 8, 2016
Enjoyed working with student leaders. Opportunity to develop programs and events for student leaders on campus. Recruited strong full-time professionals and graduate assistants.
Work was fun
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Davie, FLAugust 17, 2016
Learned a lot about real world marketing. How to educate your customers. How to do marketing campaign.Managed a team of 7 people. Initiated marketing campaign in rural areas.

Nova Southeastern University Reviews by Location