Nova Southeastern University

Nova Southeastern University Employee Reviews

public safety
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 16, 2015
management not friendly and not supportive and rude . the pay is okay but not work what you go through too many complaints the plus side is tuition wavers other than that I would not work in the public safety department its too stressful .
benefits
Cons
management
Decent place to start in the field
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 15, 2015
NSU can be a great start for a new college graduate who is looking for a foot in the door. The starting salary for a college graduate with a bachelor's degree is rather comparable to the market and the benefits are exceptional (full benefits including 401K, HRA, and access to the clinics on campus). However, it is not a long term place of employment as leadership is pretty set in their ways and it is always the same players in all of the roles. It is almost impossible to advance unless you are willing to lose your integrity and professional identity. Reward comes only to those willing to do almost anything for a raise (spying on coworkers, running personal errands for supervisors, brown nosing in general). Unfortunately hard workers with true passion for helping students and with innovative ideas are seldom given the opportunity to advance and usually never are adequately compensated. Overall, leadership always gives the right speeches but the action never follows. The biggest downfall of the university is the lack of value that is shown to employees who are alumni and thus many people stay to further their education and then move on to another opportunity outside of the university.
Pros
Benefits package
Cons
Advancement opportunity, Compensation
Not an easy job to perform but can be a great jumping off point if worked right
Communication Systems Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLSeptember 14, 2015
It is not easy to work in a 24hr dept. that requires you to have exemplary customer service skills. The daily calls can be overwhelming and frustrating when you are in a room for 8 to 16 hrs. I enjoyed the work I did and took great pride in it. The management could do more to acknowledge the good work the staff performs on a daily basis. The calls taken can be from opening a classroom to a gas leak requiring multiple buildings be evacuated.
Pros
health benefits, tuition waiver
Cons
not enough appreciation shown for the hard work and hours put in by staff
Flexible hours
Tech Services- Law Library (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 10, 2015
Great opportunity while your in school.

Flexibility to come in whenever you want. Work around class times.

Replace old law reports with new updated sheets. Organize library.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay
Toxic Culture
DIRECTOR PHYSICAL PLANT (Former Employee) –  Davie-Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 6, 2015
Management did not have a high regard for Physical Plant (Maintenance) personnel. The Physical Plant Department was always understaffed and underfunded.
Pros
Highly Skilled Tradespeople
Cons
Toxic Culture
Fun work place with supportive management
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLSeptember 4, 2015
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) gives a whole new meaning to "school of sharks." NSU, whose mascot is the deep sea predator, has an enrollment of more than 29,000 students and offers a variety of undergraduate, graduate, and professional academic programs. NSU offers degrees in several medical disciplines (osteopathic medicine, pharmacy, optometry, nursing), marine biology, business, law, education, and computer sciences. The not-for-profit independent school operates four campuses in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area, several health centers, and an oceanographic. It is a great institution to study and work.
Pros
Tuition waiver is a great value, though graduate education is only partially covered
Cons
In order to grow in a library you have to be a Librarian
Great Place to Work
Market Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North Miami Beach, FLSeptember 2, 2015
NSU is a great place to work! If you are ready to grow personally and professionally then you would do well in any position available at the University.
N/a
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davie, flAugust 31, 2015
The University has a Good work environment, enjoyable coworkers, good benefits, and decent work hours. However, all of that depends on what department you work in. There is not much room for growth so if that is what you are looking for then you have to weigh your options with the position you choose.
Relaxed but productive workplace
Contact Lens Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Davie, FloridaAugust 25, 2015
Nova is a wonderful place to work. The job/life balance is almost unbeatable. My position is fast-paced and can be overwhelming to those who prefer a slower job pace. My co-workers have become family, and the management is awesome.
Positive Experience
Physician Assistant Student (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 24, 2015
Fantastic experience at a great school. Teachers really care about their students success and were very helpful. Very in depth and thorough curriculum taught by variety of experienced professionals.
Good Student Job
Graduate Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davie, FlAugust 13, 2015
Check with supervisor for daily task. Help financial aid counselor. The environment is great. Your schedule is very flexible. I enjoyed the staff and the free food.
Excellent workplace
Faculty Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLAugust 4, 2015
Nova Southeastern university has professional work environment with supportive supervisor staff. Nova is an employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce. They recognize the value of diversity in every aspect of the workplace. In Nova learned useful skills useful for my professional life in the conflict Resolution field.
Pros
Supportive management
Serious work environment
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLJuly 30, 2015
Company cares for employees, and offers room to grow if your field of study correlates to your current duties. Employees are given task based on their their basic knowledge and are encouraged to take on more if able to handle
Best dead end job, EVER!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 17, 2015
100% free tuition at the undergraduate level. TAKE ADVANTAGE of the opportunity!
Communication within departments & across campus is poor.
Pros
Stable job. Culture is pleasant.
Cons
Your paycheck will depress you, it takes about 4 days to recover, No room for growth or advancement. Forget about being promoted.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort lauderdale , FloridaJuly 15, 2015
I am glad to work with the professor at Nova Southeastern University. It is a great place to work and love to start working at research assistant position at Nova Southeastern University.
Great first experience
Budget Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLJuly 7, 2015
Typical day involved general office duties, helping the budget director. I learned how to maintain professionalism in an office environment.
Great place to work. Feels like family
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  OrlandoJuly 4, 2015
Great place to work. Feels like family. Everyone there makes you feel comfortable to work there. The hardest part of the job was leaving.
Work Overload
Financial Aid (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 26, 2015
A typical day is busy filled with numerous overwhelming tasks. Not only are you trying to keep up with your work, but you also doing mandatory departmental assignments AND of course still keep up with your assigned duties. I learned that there hasn't been a raise for three years in my department and it probably won't happy this year. I also learned that Non-exempt workers (salary based) are not allowed to do overtime; therefore, you will not be paid after 5:00pm nor for weekend shifts. Based on my observation, policies and procedures seem to apply to some people and not others. Management is top heavy, filled with a lot of favoritism, and enforce rules on certain employees. The hardest part of my job is everyday. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping students.

No, I am not a disgruntle worker, but I feel NSU takes advantage of their employees like every other corporation-want you to work hard, above and beyond, but fails to ensure certain employees are fairly compensated and receive increases. Meanwhile, NSU bid wigs are building multi-million dollar facilities while we (current underpaid employees) are being told about budget cuts.

P.S. Everyone is entitled to their opinions based on their experience. My perception is my reality. You may not feel the same way, but we can agree to disagree.
Pros
Tuition waiver, paid time-off, and healthcare benefits
Cons
Top heavy management, heavy workload, and stressful environment
productive and fun work environment
Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLJune 22, 2015
Great place to work. It was a great learning experience. Had to move back to Tallahassee because of personal family issues.
Profesionalism
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  JACKSONVILLE, FLJune 19, 2015
At nsu work was always busy. Either I was answering calls or updating student information or informing students of upcoming events through newsletters and even booking rooms for classes and other events.
This was my first real job in the professional environment. I learn to be punctual, professional, diligent, be able to learn from others, learn how to communicate with others, provide excellent service to staff, students and prospects.
Scheduling was the hardest part of my job since there are always changes and always trying to accommodate the person or group to the best rooms we could provide.
Pros
I WAS ABLE TO GROW PROFFECIONALLY AND IMPROVE KNOWLEDGE

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nova Southeastern University. Our community is ready to answer.

Nova Southeastern University Reviews by Location