Novelis Employee Reviews

Solid Company and Work Environment with Growing Equipment Issues
Automation Technologist (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVJanuary 24, 2015
Day At Work: Work with the equipment and crews, perform root cause analysis on reliability issues, and try to electrically improve/maintain the plant rolling mills

What You Learned: This was my first job in this field/profession when I graduated from college. I've learned a lot about PLCs, control systems, troubleshooting, process data acquisition software, aluminum alloys, rolling mills, AC/DC motor drives, and more

Management: Solid

Your Co-Workers: My co-workers have been my mentors.

Hardest Part of The Job: Antiquated equipment/equipment approaching obsolescence with little to no spare parts available. No major upgrade plans. On call 24/7

The Best Part of The Job: Working to improve the equipment and see the crews' appreciation
Pros
Close to home, Well Paying, Job within my field of study, Fantastic Health Care Benefits
Cons
Obsolete equipment, No plans for future progression, reoccurring reliability issues, No overtime
Dangerous work environment, but its a great experience
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYDecember 16, 2014
I have learned many different tools and trades in the few months I was there. Great place to work,just keep your head on a swivel when navigating within the plant. I enjoyed learning how machines worked and not just how to fix them,and everyday was different. Some tasks were the same, but everyday you learned something new. Novelis is still expanding with a new contract with Ford. Was a great experience, and I would definitely recommend the job.
Pros
Great pay, great people
Cons
Dangerous
Micro Managed
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fairmont WVOctober 26, 2014
Was let go for absolutely no reason, nor will they give me one. They withhold union dues although your not actually a union member until 90 days then let you go on your 85th day. Forced into working overtime, no matter what you have going on in your personal life, overall a spineless company to be associated with.. Evidently they do not like people that work hard and show up on time everyday and knowledgeable people that actually do want to work AND WORK SAFELY. This is a prime example of working in some third world sweat shop..
Pros
Cons
everything
This place shouldn't be in business
office (Former Employee) –  fairmontOctober 20, 2014
I can't complain about the floor staff they are great to work with. When someone is down and out they have no personal skills (management). Good luck whoever gets the job you need it. Especially when you know six jobs.
Productive and structured workplace
Logistics Consultant (Current Employee) –  Oswego, NYOctober 15, 2014
Novelis is a wonderful place to work. My typical day is very productive. I work hard and am constantly learning how to do my job better and more efficiently. Management is great! Co-workers are very helpful and trustworthy. The hardest part of my job is trying to knowing when to stop working. I get so wrapped up in what I am doing and trying to meet deadlines, that I forget to pay attention to the time. I definitely keep busy. The most enjoyable part of my job is the pie we eat every once in a while. Everyone loves pie!
Pros
Nice desk, newer computers
Cons
Contractors are not treated the same as full-time employees
Senior Oracle Consultant
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 24, 2014
• Involved in System migration from oracle forms and reports 6i to 10g and also oracle DB migration from oracle 8i to 10g
• Develop Technical Design Document for conversion project.
• Co-ordination with onsite team and mentoring offshore team.
• Involved in entire conversion process right from compilation of all the components and bug fix.
• Co-ordination with SQA and business to address issues raised by them during conversion.
• Testing and fixes needed for the integration of ACIS with other systems during conversion process.
• Support, monitoring and bus fixes for the ACIS application after migration to 10g.
• High level and detailed design documents for new modules needed by ACIS.
• Preparation of database design including different database objects like tables, views, indexes, packages, triggers and sequences.
• Develop and Modify ETL PL/SQL code used in data warehousing.
• Performance Tuning of SQL queries.
• Scheduling and monitoring of batch processes on redwood scheduler.
• Used VSS as a Version Control Tool to maintain the source code
Great pay and benefits
Labor (Former Employee) –  InJuly 3, 2014
Great compensation. Upper management very slow and worried more about cutting costs than the taking care of the people working hard to make the company money.
pay is decent, management is rude and inconsiderate
Finishing Operator (Former Employee) –  oswego, nyJuly 3, 2014
pay is decent, probationary period is long, not very family oriented, most people are fired before hitting pay rate
Good company but terrible mgrs
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  AtlantaJune 17, 2014
Great company in a great location in the heart of Buckhead.
Going to a transformational change within the automotive industry. The department is a complete train wreck with awful upper management who doesn't respond to emails or support you.
They expect you to do all the work and not back you up when needed. They have a lot of meetings to discuss nothing. Tons of emails go out and mgrs do not respond. Lots of immigrants that are hard to understand. Auto dept there is the worst. Do not accept a position within that dept.
Pros
Free snacks, free gym
Cons
Managers, pay, long work hours, no systems. Use spreadsheets to do work

Comment – October 26, 2014

Dead on. Will make you work your tail off for nothing- only to redo it all over again. Terrible mgt as well as upper mgt. Constant changes. How they are still in business is baffling.

Comment – April 12, 2015

Auto dept still going through heart aches. DO NOT work in that dept. horrible mgt and upper mgt.
Will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat and don't care about you at all. Save your sanity!

Great people to work with
Quality Technician (Current Employee) –  Terre Haute, INJune 11, 2014
Love my job and the people but it is a temporary position. I have enjoyed working for this company and would love to remain here but unfortunately the position is being offered to employees who lost their jobs in a recent lay off.
Pros
Fairly close to home and great work hours
Cons
short term position, no benefits
Great organization with strong values on sustainability.
INSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 31, 2014
Great place to work and grow. Focus on environmental responsibilty is truly impressive.
Older Family
Electrical Engineer Intern (Current Employee) –  Terre Haute, INFebruary 25, 2014
Most of the people that work here are people that have worked here most of their life. They are just starting to get more and more youth for innovation.
Great potential
Business Integration Director (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 6, 2014
- Great potential for future growth
- Improving brand image
productive, safe workplace
Laborer (Former Employee) –  greensboro, gaJanuary 30, 2014
on a typical day at work consisted of cleaning, laying concrete, and organizing work tools. i really enjoyed it.
Regional Reliability Intern
Reliability & Maintainability Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 13, 2014
My internship had me working in the Regional Reliability department. There I learned about their reliability practices and how to communicate those throughout the company. I also worked with the plants in the region to develop new reliability practices in the company. The hardest part of the internship was getting all the information I needed from the already very busy plant managers.
Pros
Good structured reliability program
Decent work environment. Typical political non-sense.
Temp Service - Matrix (Current Employee) –  Oswego, NYAugust 22, 2013
Hot and dirty. Some co workers are absolutely useless. Management is a joke. Most enjoyable part is leaving at end of shift. Terrible pay.
on nights got to keep all the mills running while boss was home asleep
metal testing lab (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYJuly 11, 2013
Loaded a truck with roll to go to Canada to be chrome plated took apart and assembled roll units as the mills changed units due wear
and tear.used and tools air wrenches and crane to lift heavy parts.
Pros
got to be our own boss
Cons
heavy lifting 12 hour shifts
Novelis Cover Letter
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYJune 4, 2013
During my first year at Novelis, I started my employment with the goal of obtaining general plant and process knowledge. I was fortunate to partner with experienced plant technicians who provided me with hands-on experience and real world knowledge of the operational process. The knowledge that I gained from working with the technicians was invaluable, and could not be achieved in a classroom setting.

Upon establishing a fundamental understanding of the plant and process, I was provided the opportunity to manage increasingly challenging projects and responsibilities. As the project lead to improve the reliability and safety of the plant’s mobile equipment fleet, I gained continued knowledge in reliability engineering in addition to experience in continuous improvement, procurement, finance, and EHS. I have nearly eliminated the plant downtime associated with mobile equipment by introducing a redundant system and engineering for reliability.

During my second year at Novelis, I am faced with ever increasing opportunities and challenges. Currently, I am the project liaison for three major projects during the scheduled 2013 May Annual Outage. These projects include the implementation of new process equipment and dust collection equipment as well as roof replacement. I have worked closely with procurement and accounting to ensure that the purchase orders are sent and funds are paid on time. Also, I have been working with a team to ensure that nothing has been overlooked on the planning schedule so everything will run smoothly during the outage.
productive and fun place to work at.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, GAMay 31, 2013
unloading trucks at work. learned how to assist with different elements of the job. management was okay.they never involved the workers.co-workers were okay. the hardest part of the job was dealing with different personalities.the most enjoyable part of the job was learning how to use a computer.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
I worked there as a temporary employee.
Blender/Crusher Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, GAMarch 29, 2013
I learne how to operate a bobcat at Novelis. It was a challenging job and given the chance I would like to go back.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Novelis. Our community is ready to answer.