Novellus Employee Reviews in United States

Incompetent Management with No Respect for 1st Level Employees
Final Test Technician III (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, ORJuly 21, 2014
This is for LAM RESEARCH, WHO ACQUIRED NOVELLUS:

Most work days were 12 hour shifts. Overtime was expected. Engineers and Technicians were advanced to management despite not having any education in Business Administration or management. Employees are overworked with no recognition. Employees cannot be advanced to a position with a pay higher than 3% above their current position (this includes completion of a degree or advanced degree). The work was so stressful at times that my heart would beat like I was sprinting when I was just sitting at a computer thinking about all the immediate deliverables I had to complete. Review process is a joke. A lot of effort went into the review process, months actually, but my higher review score got me a lower raise than some of my co-workers who scored lower than I did. After checking with several employees we figured out that everyone just got $1,000.00 more per year. After LAM took over, the work environment became VERY hostile. Breaks were cut to 15 minutes, which included 4 minutes to walk to the gown-room and de-gown, and 8 minutes to gown-up and walk back to the work area, which resulted in 3 minute breaks. Lunch was only 30 minutes (even during a 12 hour shift) and the same rules applied, which left only about 15 minutes to eat lunch. This place does NOT care about its employees. I urge you to continue your search.
Pros
clean work environment
Cons
everything else
Great semi conductor company
BUYER / PURCHASING (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 27, 2013
My first start in procurement was for this was a semi-conductor manufacturing company. Hugh multinational company with each work day is almost similar to the day before.
On going product awareness and learning on the job, working with manufacturing and product development

Hardest part of the job is that it was almost impossible to have the full knowledge of all thousands of parts and commodities that you deal in the material requirement planning.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that the people and my manager was extremely supportive and helpful.
Pros
free gym, laptop, choice of working from home
Cons
no benefits for contractors
Fun place to work
Design Drafter II, Engineering Technician III (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, ORApril 22, 2013
the opportunity to grow prepositionally and personal is great. always working on new cutting edge technology. learning new things and being able to apply them on the job is one of the most positive and enjoying tings. the family culture that one builds will last long after one leaves the company. every one will take the time to teach and show how tings can be done or lead you on the right path. Management is very reliable and understanding on personal basis.
Pros
great place to work, healthcare
Good Money but tough Industry
Senior Field Process & Technical Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose & SingaporeApril 18, 2013
Declining industry means overall restricted opportunities. Tech bubble is over and so are the perks.
Pros
sold to a better organisation now lam
Cons
old people have been replaced
Good place to intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 10, 2013
Had a great internship there, partly because my adviser was extremely helpful. People seem happy.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
nothing obvious, learning opportunity
manufacturing
Technician CVD, PVD Manufacturing, PVD Division (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 31, 2012
perform Work on equipment PVD, CVD calibration
hvac leak check trouble shoot down to component level
team work keep clean house
team work pass down to know problem then continue solve problem
keep system under vacuum base pressure
trouble shoot and find out leak rate
Bad place to work
Assemble Technician (Former Employee) –  Tualatin OrOctober 21, 2012
The Temp policy has been horrible over the years. Expect to stay a temporary worker with no benefits or PTO for 9 month - 2 years if you would like to get hired on. Raises are low. Pay is not too bad.

The overtime gets rough. There will be stretches of time where you have 0 overtime. Then the next week you will have mandatory 60-70 hours a week for 4-6 weeks.

The work is enjoyable and the people I worked with were very pleasant.
Pros
enjoyable work.
Cons
horrible temp policy.
I missed all my friends at VARIAN & NOVELLUS
Mechanical/Assembler III (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CA 95134July 17, 2012
.Nothing typical day at work, day by day same.
.I learned a lot of different tool, built a lot of tool, I can built the system by myself, my boss alway sent me to learned new tool then come back trained other co-workers.
.The bosses at (Novellus) want job done right away but tool alway short parts.
.Team work, share work and problem.
.New tool all way had a lot of problem need to improve, had to sub-assemblies, rebuilt, modified...
.I like to challenge, enjoy the most hardest part, exercise my brain.
Pros
free lunch every sat & sun
unproductive antaganistic work enviroment
Test Technician (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, ORMay 25, 2012
Really I didn't learn much, I put machines together from blue prints. I learned about how plumbing and fiber optics worked at a remedial level. I also learned robotics. The Co workers were terrible. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the the coworkers. Building giant machines was the best part of the job.
Pros
na
Cons
bad random hours.
excellant
sr. equipment engineer (Former Employee)August 30, 2011
this company was so nice to work for relaxed hours plenty of work for all employees
Pros
ideal location