Hundreds of thousands of students take NovoEd's courses. We are looking for full-stack or backend engineers with experience building and scaling a product. Challenges include:
- Designing a scalable and service-oriented architecture with extensible REST APIs that can be consumed by our own platform and partner applications
- Algorithmically forming teams based on instructor-defined criteria, while accommodating special requests, language ability, and time-zones
- Writing a recommendation engine, that can recommend classes to students based on their learning goals, studying habits, and background
- Scaling an operational database from hundreds of thousands of users to tens of millions of users with simultaneous access
- Building a scalable messaging and notifications system to keep students up to date on class assignments, new content, and messages from classmates
- Ensuring a good user experience by optimizing for speed
- Building reputation mechanisms for students that encourages class participation and quality contributions, but can’t be reverse engineered or manipulated
- Designing and developing algorithms to make more accurate predictions about quality of textual peer feedback as well as numeric grades
- Designing machine leaning algorithms and statistical models for coaching and timely interventions
- Protecting user privacy, ensuring data security, and maintaining FERPA and COPPA compliance
- Analyzing and visualizing rich network of student interactions to make better team recommendations and to help design better courses
We use Ruby on Rails, Python, MySQL, Memcached, Redis, AWS, and Node.js. We don't expect you to know all of them but working knowledge of any of these is a plus.
We are looking for engineers who take pride in writing well-tested/reusable code, take initiatives and are team players.