NRG Energy, Inc.

NRG Energy, Inc. Employer Reviews

Big Data Administrator
Big Data / Cloudera Administrator (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 11, 2014
Responsible for complete Big Data Administration.
Worked on installing and configuring Hortonworks, Cloudera and created 80 mode clusters.
cafeteria greatt lunch rooms
Desktop Support Analyst (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 5, 2014
Pros: great cafeteria
Cons: no time
A typical day at Nrg Energy would be work all day you do get your breaks but Desktop Support Team at Nrg Energy has allot of work we provide Support to a large number of users across alll 50 states and you have to be able to work with little or no supervision.The work environment is great co workers are always willing to help and work well as a Team.
i felt very extol work this company
Web sphere Admin /Web Production Support Engineer (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 23, 2014
It is the company very one could hone their skills, i felt very extol work this company.
Flexible Open Work Environment
Senior Accountant, Contracted Consultant (Current Employee), Carlsbad, CAJuly 22, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: horrible commute to carlsbad from east county
I'm a contractor so I don't have much feedback to offer from an company employee standpoint. However, I enjoy having a flexible schedule. Its an open work space environment and everyone does their own thing. At times I like that and other times I don't.
excellent work atmosphere
Business analyst (Former Employee), Princeton, NJJuly 8, 2014
Great company to work in. Energy Domain. Colleagues were excellent.
Forward thinking company
Managing Director (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 7, 2014
NRG is a company that is at the forefront of changing how people and businesses use electricity. A solid financial footing and appetite for growth make NRG a dynamic place to work. The patchwork of companies they have acquired over the past 4 years though can create as many challenges as opportunities.
Good Culture
Director, Business Development (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 26, 2014
Loved the people and the culture of the job. There was a lot of good people and I enjoyed the time.
Wonderful Temp opportunity
Scan Clerk/Promoted to AP Coordinator (Former Employee), Downtown Houston, TexasFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: learning lots of new duties
Cons: only contract (temp) job
NRG Energy was a wonderful place to work. I learned new abilities that I was able to take with me. Opportunity to learn new things.

Wonderful opportunity for me.
Executive Secretary (contract) (Current Employee), Houston, TexasFebruary 5, 2014
I haven't been at NRG Energy for very long, but I have enjoyed my work experience so far. Everyone is very nice, it's a more casual environment with an open concept. One of the NRG office locations has senior staff intermingled in cubicles next to their support staff...it took a while to get used to, but the setup encourages teamwork and sharing of – more... information. – less
didn't keep me working
Lead man on a 4 man crew (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 31, 2013
hard work and long hours,not enough work,very unorganized
fine company
Control Room Operator (Former Employee), Birdsboro, PADecember 18, 2013
It was a pleasure. The people were of various backgrounds and a real joy to work with.
good place to work best in this area
maintenance supervisor / team leader (Current Employee), Jewett, TXNovember 17, 2013
busy balance between administrative duties, and observing maintenance activities in the plant.
Good place to demonstrate talent
Controls / Energy Engineer (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYNovember 2, 2013
Pros: growth, relationships, respect, flexible with time
Cons: if the department is short of new projects; must be consistent with ensuring ongoing work
Day at work:
(multitask)- between clients, teams, phone calls, requests, meetings and travel.
(focused tasks)- submit as-built drawings and packages with the use of software tools, some level of programming, researching, troubleshooting.
(if not busy)- leverage for other areas of the team that may be behind and/ or maintaining rapport with external – more... clients to ensure progress with projects.

What I learn:
Accountability, assertiveness, thoroughness, attention to detail and have a broad vision on a high level for future phases of a project.

Coworkers:
be flexible to work with any kind of personality and find the best solutions to fill in the gaps. Ensure progress for the department and maintain strength and productivity within the team.

Hardest part of the job:
Documentation, consider all possible outcomes of a project, prepare for worst case scenarios and create options, ensure to consistently meet expectations for the customers and budget. Ensure quality of work and reputation of what we do as a business.

Enjoyable part of the job:
Challenge, research and development, and growth – less
Enjoyable workplace until merger
Executive Administrative Assistant to Controller (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 29, 2013
Pros: great employees and management
Cons: communication and transitioning due to merger
I enjoyed my 24 year career at the former companies before the merger of NRG. I would have loved to continue my career if I had the opportunity but my position was transitioned out due to the merger.
Good work enviornment
Senior Bookkeeper (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 17, 2013
Pros: free lunchs, great coworkers
Cons: end of the month close
I thoroughly enjoy my job. I enjoy handling situations that arise that I know I can help resolve with customers or hr questions.
I enjoy having hands with the technicians and processing reports and payroll. My hardest part of the job is the end of the month close, that is a hard task to ensure all numbers are as accurate as possible for our financials.
great expieriences & gain of electrical skills
Electrical & Instrument Technician Sr. (Current Employee), Portland,Pa.October 8, 2013
Pros: good pay, good benifits
Cons: plant closure in 2014
I have had a lot of good times and made many good friends thru the years. I have learned a lot thru the years to sharpen my electrical & mechanical skills. This plant has fed and clothed my family for 30 years.
A day in the life of a powerplant engineer
Controls Engineer (Current Employee), Aquasco, MDSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: free lunches, plant culture
Cons: unpredictable schedule, no overtime pay
Has it ups and downs, every day is a new day with new challenges
Engineer (Current Employee), PASeptember 10, 2013
Pros: low stress
Cons: lack of consistant direction from management.
There is a lot of room within the company to move around. Management is a little behind the curve but what company isn't.
Had a very professional boss who knew the procurement business.
Purchasing Specialist/Contract Administrator (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 4, 2013
I worked on various national contracts that were out of date with our legal department and vendors. This was a company that had just purchased 8 power plants, so the contracts were important to get updated so all plants across the country could be in a better buying position with their material and services. The co-workers were good professionals who – more... were contractors like myself. They had been in procurement for many years and new what they were doing. The hardest part of this job, was trying to get workable contract agreement with large vendors who didn't want to change anything. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning what the power plants needed and working with the legal department. The people were great to work with also. – less
productive company
Executive Assistant/Office Coordinator (Former Employee), Houston TXAugust 30, 2013
it was my second job and I my skills were built from this job. I used to love this company very much.

1 2 3