nTelos Inc.

nTelos Inc. Employee Reviews

Retail Sales is Retail Sales
Retail Sales Rep (Former Employee), West VirginiaJune 11, 2015
Pros: Awesome benefits (plenty of PTO, healthcare, vision, dental, 401K), flexible schedules, a lot of down time (could be pro or con)
Cons: Regular customer complaints, doing technical work with phones (even as a sales rep), low store coverage, tough to advance without moving
Retail sales in general is a roller coaster ride. One day is fantastic - customers are in a good mood, you get a few sales that count towards your quota. and you share some laughs with your coworkers and call it a day. The next day is horrible - every customer is yelling at you, you have a line of customers because the next employee isn't scheduled for another 2 hours, no sales go out the door, and – more... once your co-workers do arrive they aren't feeling it so they hang out in the back most of the day which can create some animosity. This is the life in retail sales.

Meeting the sales goals that are laid out is your #1 job. Do this and you are golden. You'll receive praise, put yourself in a competitive position for advancement, and make more money. The only issue is that sales reps are also expected to deal with customer issues. This can be spending hours on the phone with customer service to fix an account issue, working with tech support on a phone issue, or maybe you just get stuck doing a long exchange with phones that were sold online. Bottom line is that it takes away from your goals, yet you are fully expected to perform those duties. Also, no matter how many of these situations you may have in a given day, week, or month, you will not receive praise for them as they do nothing to help meet the store quota.

All managers are different, but none of them are heavily watched. At my location this led to some rare appearances by our manager. At one point he was working maybe 20-25 hours a week. This made complaining customers much worse, put a lot more inventory duties on the plates of the reps, as well as some of the paperwork that a manager would normally handle. The next manager to take over had a better presence in the store, but would still often bail out around 1 or 2 or at a minimum take a mid day shopping trip.

All in all nTelos isn't a "bad" place to work. They seem to hire a more competent staff than some other retail environments I've seen, and upper management is pretty down to earth. They are more likely to praise you than to down you. The thing to realize is what you are getting into with retail sales in general, and with nTelos being a regional carrier with really low prices the customer base isn't the best breed of customer. – less
works good with my home life
Collections Rep II (Current Employee), Waynesboro,VAMay 21, 2015
Pros: works great with my family life
Cons: company did a big layoff and my job was effected
I review accounts of customers that set up payment plans to make sure they get paid. if the payment is not made then I disconnect the customers cell phone. I also review accounts that have return payments to make sure the payments are being repaid.
my manager is very considerate, if I need to leave early or come in late do to an appointment etc. he works with me to honor that request
I like my co-workers, we work well together
the hardest part of my job is, when our company downsized and we had customers porting out to other carriers. During this time we were swapped with port out requests
most enjoyable part of my day is I am able to work with no supervision and the peace and quiet of my cubicle
Wireless Sales Expert (Former Employee), Danville, VAMay 18, 2015
open store
count draws
count inventory
email numbers
advertise on social media for drive of business
customer service
give product knowledge and rate plans best for customer
register customer into system
clean
greet co-workers
Good work environment
employee (Current Employee), Waynesboro, VAMay 7, 2015
Cons: uncertain stability
I enjoy working for nTelos, they offer a lot of advancement opportunities and classes for self improvement, With certain changes I am looking to explore different options.
Past employee
Field Tech (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 30, 2015
Pros: Family invironment
Cons: lack of leadership
The Good: If you're looking for a company that feels more like family in a laid back setting this would be a great place to work. I spent the last 15 years with them in several different markets and this was my experience throughout the company. Sometimes a company has to change with technology and in my case where my job was not needed anymore they cross trained me to be able to transfer in a different – more... department giving me other options rather than collect unemployment. They do however offer a good severance package as a parting gift to help you find future employment.

The Bad: As with any company I guess sometimes you'll end up working under someone who seems to get paid manager wages but doesn't have the skills to actually manage. In my 15 years experience I had 4 managers and all of them seemed to be the same LOST without the lesser paid supervisors guiding the way. Also it seemed these same managers didn't have any interest helping everyone equally to climb the corporate ladder instead it always seemed to be a "friend" who got the boost instead of someone who had better skills. Raises (I was told) wasn't based on yearly evaluations so even though a person may exceed across the board for his/her work ethic they'll still get the average across the board yearly $$ which equals your basic 5% cost of living per year, Compared to other communications companies they're well under for base salary. For example (New hire) an experienced field tech would be paid $30-34,000 per year Vs the top 3 wireless companies start experienced new hires $50-70,000 per year. So if you're fresh out of college looking to get your foot in the door and some on the job experience Ntelos would be a great starting point.

Overall I loved working for this company as my 15yrs of service shows. Sure there's some things I can complain about but has anyone ever worked a perfect job? Honestly I feel we all never get paid enough but have you ever heard anyone complain about being over paid? I'm complaining more these days about not having a job at all after being laid off. Seems Ntelos has chosen to go in a different direction as far as the market they're targeting and I live outside of that market. At my age (43) its not as easy to find work in this field because most companies understand its cheaper to hire someone less experienced and can be trained the way they want the job done Vs trying to retrain someone who's used to doing thing a certain way expecting higher pay. Would I work for this company again? YES and would I suggest this company to you? YES – less
Sales Rep/Tech Support
Sales Representative/Tech Support (Former Employee), Ashland, VAApril 8, 2015
This company is a great started job as it teaches the basics of customer service and being able to branch out your product to the public. There have been tough situations but with the team you have everything is handled efficiently and in an orderly fashion.
Awful
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VAMarch 25, 2015
Laid-back, management is awful, DR will run company into ground. They say at beginning only terminated for bad sales 3 months in a row. I was there little over a month, still had not met quota, but let me go. Terrible training.
nTelos
Marketing: Events and Sponsorship Manager (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 14, 2015
Pros: healthcare, 401k, pto, and wellness program
Cons: limited advancement
nTelos is a regional company in the wireless market. They provide many skilled jobs in VA and WV. The workflow is one of a grass roots company. Process are more streamlined and the work environment is very positive. They also provide good benefits and average wadges. I think this is a great fit for someone wanting to gain experience or start their career in the wireless industry.
Manager - Network Operations
Manager - Network Operations (Former Employee), Waynesboro, VAMarch 9, 2015
I was hired to help build and manage the PCS wireless network in 1997.

I enjoyed hiring, training and mentoring new technicians, engineers and admin staff. The work and the people were awesome.

Advancement opportunities were non-existent. Many carrots were dangled and I jumped thru hoops for upper management, but new opportunities were always provided to other individuals with lesser experience. I was always told that I was too valuable to promote and that I was needed in my current position.

I don't know how many bosses I had to train.......

I eventually left Ntelos for better opportunities with room for advancement.
n/a
Credit Analyst/Customer Service (Former Employee), Waynesboro, VAMarch 3, 2015
great company to work for loved the people and loved working with customers. great hours and benefits for me and my child
Good Place
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee), Daleville, VAFebruary 25, 2015
Good placed to work. Good benefits. Nice people to work with. Knowledgeable Team Leaders. Excellent Manager. Good atmosphere to work in.
Smiles and Sales at Ntelos
Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee), Lynchburg, VAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: great co workers, commission
Cons: upper management do not appreciate employee
A typical day at Ntelos consists of taking payments, selling phones plans, phones, tablets and accessory. I have learned a lot working on cell phones and little tricks to help with general use of a cell phone. I can also trouble shoot general issues with cell phones. I have lost all my original co workers due to management change but I do enjoy the new employees; its like a small family at Ntelos. – more... I see those people more than I see my own family. The hardest part of my job is communication with upper management. In my opinion communication with your employees is key. Happy employees make for a happy work environment. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and forming a bond with my customers. I have people come in specifically asking for me and are willing to wait however long just so I can assist with their issue or sale. – less
Customer Service/ Wireless Carrier
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Staunton, VAFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: can be financially rewarding
Cons: work and home balance
* Assisting Customers with wireless needs

* Good relationship with management

* Wonderful team environment

* Can be very high stress/ work/home balance challenge

* Overall Job can be very rewarding
Flexable work environment
System Support Analyst (Current Employee), Waynesboro, VAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: flexable
Cons: unstable company right now
Reporting, trending, Showcase Queries, SQL, Team Lead and Mgt
Unprofessional staff
Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee), Suffolk, VAJanuary 18, 2015
Not all the staff was bad, but there was dysfunction within management. My stay was not long!
Store Leader (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 5, 2015
Ownership
Teamwork
nice job, terrible management
Wireless Sales Representative (Former Employee), Forest, VADecember 4, 2014
Pros: long lunch breaks, fun job
Cons: bad management, they play favorites, zero benefits
i enjoyed working at ntelos, i loved being able to sell a product i believed in. But the management there was unbelievable and there were zero benefits. no paid vacation, no 401k, dental, medical, absolutely nothing. there were people that just got hired and were being paid more than me all because they knew the owner, they had zero experience as well. If you want to work at an ntelos avoid gravesmills and the one in the river ridge mall
Opportunity
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Lewisburg, WVOctober 30, 2014
Pros: pay, co-workers, benefits
Cons: typical unhappy customers
nTelos is full of opportunities for anyone that can make a goal and put their mind to it. The company knows how to hire great managers and reps to where each store is like a unique family. They provide different classes and trainings to allow growth for all employees in all aspects. nTelos has great health benefits for part time and full time employees. The company takes care of all of us; we aren't just a "number." We are a regional company, so it's benefical for customers and employees because we are all from around the same areas. I love it. Wouldn't work for any other cell phone company.
Decent job
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Lewisburg, WVOctober 22, 2014
Pros: commission
Cons: angry customers
Hardest part of the job: getting yelled at because a customer forgot to pay their bill and they think it's your fault.

Best part of the job: the nice people who make your day fun and working with fun people.
Terrible Company!
FT Sales Representative (Former Employee), Woodstock, VAOctober 7, 2014
Pros: co workers
Cons: management, district managenent
i worked there for a little over a year, was a great place to work as far as pay but the management sucks!! They don't care about your personal life. Other than that issue it was great and I truly enjoyed going to work daily.

1 2 3 4

About nTelos Inc.

nTelos Wireless is a leading provider of wireless communications services to consumers and businesses in select areas of Virginia, – Read more

nTelos Inc. Salaries