nTelos Inc. Employee Reviews

Great call center work place
Va. - Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Covington, VAJanuary 12, 2016
I worked in a call center, doing secretarial skills (answering phones, computer work, etc.). I helped customers with their bills, with activating and replacing phones, anything to help the customer with the questions.
Pros
The pay was great
Cons
The short staff was sometimes rough on all of us other co-workers
Good job for entry level
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Salem, VAOctober 18, 2014
Advancement is unlikely, pay is low compared to the industry standard, and I was capped out after 1 year. The company has potential for growth, however they spend very little money in advertising and rely too much on sales reps to do cold calling that doesn't yield results.
The benefits are good and the management, at least in my store, is decent.
Pros
benifits
Cons
low pay
Don't believe everything you see and hear
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Covington, VAApril 30, 2012
A typical day at work includes 100's of calls answers, 100's more waiting, rudeness from customers, and an "or else" approach to business. I learned that some people are honest and have integrity, but others only have the facade. Management is kind to your face, but are generally talking behind your back to other co-workers about confidential information on a regular basis. Co-workers are just trying to get through a day without being fired. More often than not the person that stands up for the integrity the company says they strive for are then watched because they've made some waves. The hardest part of the job is management and development not understanding all aspects of the job and making changes for the "betterment of the company" that either don't make since logistically or in the real world situation. There is also little feeling of security in your job.
Pros
good pay for area
Cons
customers, lack of understanding of management, no job security
nice job, terrible management
Wireless Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Forest, VADecember 4, 2014
i enjoyed working at ntelos, i loved being able to sell a product i believed in. But the management there was unbelievable and there were zero benefits. no paid vacation, no 401k, dental, medical, absolutely nothing. there were people that just got hired and were being paid more than me all because they knew the owner, they had zero experience as well. If you want to work at an ntelos avoid gravesmills and the one in the river ridge mall
Pros
long lunch breaks, fun job
Cons
bad management, they play favorites, zero benefits
nTelos
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 14, 2015
This is a positive place to work, the people you work with are like family. They offer health care, 401k, PTO, and bonus, There is limited room for advancement and average pay. This is a good fit for someone wanting to gain experience or start their career in the Wireless market.
Pros
healthcare, 401k, pto, and wellness program
Cons
average to below average pay, long work hours, and no room for advancment
Oppressive company chasing its tail
Manager (Current Employee) –  Waynesboro, VAApril 1, 2013
I have worked in several areas. Management talks about core values, but leads from the rear. The only time you interact with management is at "rah rah"; events when they tell you things are going well. Pay is very low, and management admits this is intentional because it draws from people in the valley, some of whom can't travel far.

Lots of fights between departments, and I had employees tell me their bosses instructed them how to protect their own departments and not to work with others. It reminds me of old companies that are rigid. Management is frantic to find new ideas, but does not check to see if they are profitable. Most strategy discussions are focused on how to increase costs to customers, instead of offering better services.
Pros
some good managers, benefits are decent if you are full time (good luck with that if you are a store worker).
Cons
could list for an hour. chaotic work hours, understaffed in key jobs, little to no training in many jobs, low pay, strategy constantly shifts
Retail Sales is Retail Sales
Retail Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaJune 11, 2015
Retail sales in general is a roller coaster ride. One day is fantastic - customers are in a good mood, you get a few sales that count towards your quota. and you share some laughs with your coworkers and call it a day. The next day is horrible - every customer is yelling at you, you have a line of customers because the next employee isn't scheduled for another 2 hours, no sales go out the door, and once your co-workers do arrive they aren't feeling it so they hang out in the back most of the day which can create some animosity. This is the life in retail sales.

Meeting the sales goals that are laid out is your #1 job. Do this and you are golden. You'll receive praise, put yourself in a competitive position for advancement, and make more money. The only issue is that sales reps are also expected to deal with customer issues. This can be spending hours on the phone with customer service to fix an account issue, working with tech support on a phone issue, or maybe you just get stuck doing a long exchange with phones that were sold online. Bottom line is that it takes away from your goals, yet you are fully expected to perform those duties. Also, no matter how many of these situations you may have in a given day, week, or month, you will not receive praise for them as they do nothing to help meet the store quota.

All managers are different, but none of them are heavily watched. At my location this led to some rare appearances by our manager. At one point he was working maybe 20-25 hours a week. This made complaining customers much worse, put a lot more inventory
  more... duties on the plates of the reps, as well as some of the paperwork that a manager would normally handle. The next manager to take over had a better presence in the store, but would still often bail out around 1 or 2 or at a minimum take a mid day shopping trip.

All in all nTelos isn't a "bad" place to work. They seem to hire a more competent staff than some other retail environments I've seen, and upper management is pretty down to earth. They are more likely to praise you than to down you. The thing to realize is what you are getting into with retail sales in general, and with nTelos being a regional carrier with really low prices the customer base isn't the best breed of customer.
Pros
Awesome benefits (plenty of PTO, healthcare, vision, dental, 401K), flexible schedules, a lot of down time (could be pro or con)
Cons
Regular customer complaints, doing technical work with phones (even as a sales rep), low store coverage, tough to advance without moving
Fast paced and fun place to work
Customer Care Team Lead - Wireless (Former Employee) –  Daleville, VAJuly 24, 2015
I worked as both a CCR and Team Leader. The company was definitely a fun place to work. It could be stressful at times, as some callers (this was a call center) could call in rather upset. I worked with customers over the phone to explain their accounts/bills and offer solutions to respond to any complaints or to suggest where they might save money.

I learned more patience. In such a fast paced environment as a call center, patience was still the number one virtue. It was required to set the right tone for customers calling into the center. I also became better organized. Organization is the key in being efficient and mitigating stressful situations.

Management was great! I worked closely with qualified management and was a Team Leader most of my time there. The co-workers were great to work with and I actually looked forward to coming in to work.

The hardest part of the job was probably dealing with some of the more difficult customers. There were always a few each day who wouldn't like the offered solution, so it became a matter of escalation and often more protracted than necessary, but that is why we had multi-tier levels of resolution. If I couldn't resolve the issue with the tools I was provided, then the matter had to be escalated to someone who could.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers and my co-workers. Their positive feedback always resounded with me that I was doing the right things. That's a great feeling.
Pros
set schedule, full time, advancement, internal education
Cons
pressured work, could be stressful
Productive team based positive and fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond VirginiaJune 26, 2015
Arrived to work earlier than my shift
Management kept us very informed on new products as well what needed to be done.

Provided service to customers in response to inquiries with

Phone services and products.
Maintained monetary balancing in cashiering
Maintained positive interactions with customers
Sold and gained commission on the phones that I sold each month.
Pros
great breaks phones and phone service good area
Cons
bought out by tmobile did not warm employees in a timely way before laid off
A calm environment
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 2, 2013
There is no typical day at work when you work for Ntelos.
Ive learned to never expect the same thing and I can not become Complacent. My management is amazing and i couldnt ask for anyone better. My co-workers are all very hardworking and fun to with. There is no hard part of a job for me, I can accomplish anything set in front of me. the most enjoyable part of work is watching a quest leave happy with a smile on there face.
Pros
great time for lunch, benefits are great and my phone bill is 15$
Cons
i think i should be getting paid a little more than i am, seeing my military background and it skills.
Easy to make money
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 24, 2015
Patient education on products, troubleshooting, and customer service.
Maintaining customer base, inspiring loyalty, and switching new customers to NTelos
Sometimes not having the latest and greatest available to the public was a deterrent in people switching to us but the package plans were very competitive to other carriers
Pros
spiffs with vendors and within the company
Cons
employee benefits for family members became costly
Csr
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  dalevlle, VAAugust 10, 2015
This was by far the best work environment I have ever had the opportunity to be apart of. We assisted customers with cellular issues and billing questions and concerns. However I believe the could have offered a better compensation to long term employees when they closed our office. they did however assist with job searches and ect to get us into another position.
Exciting place to work
Executive Assistant/Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Waynesboro, VADecember 3, 2012
I haven't worked here for very long, but it already seems as though management is very encouraging of employee development/advancement. Plenty of perks to the job, including frequent lunchtime events and fundraisers, as well as very friendly and helpful people.
Pros
casual friday
There is money to be made!
Retail Sales Rep/Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 18, 2014
NTelos has been a wonderful career choice. A typical day at work at Ntelos would consist of payments, renewals, and new post pay sales as well as prepay sales. It has helped me to be more agressive in sales. The management is always willing to help you and develop you in areas that you and them see fit. The hardest part of NTelos is dealing with negative customers. The most enjoyable would be helping turn negative customers into positive ones!
Pros
great trips, great commission
Cons
you carry work home with you.
Back to Back Calls
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Covington Call CenterAugust 25, 2015
Handle customer inquiries, complaints, billing questions and payment extension/service requests. Calm angry callers, repair trust, locate resources for problem resolution and design best-option solutions.

•Managed a high-volume workload within a deadline-driven environment. Resolved an average of 75 inquiries in any given day and consistently met performance benchmarks in all areas (speed, accuracy, volume).
• communication skills, listening skills, problem resolution and politeness.
• initiative, enthusiasm, tenacity, persuasiveness, intense customer focus and dependability in performance evaluations.
•Completed voluntary customer service training to learn ways to enhance customer satisfaction and improve productivity.

Hardest part:: know I am losing my job
Pros
Free cellphone
Cons
Insurance
Manager
Retail Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  morgantown, WVSeptember 2, 2015
hours were terrible, pay was low compared to work required. poor upper management and communications. very slow to change and got passed by several competitors
Wireless Sales Representative, Staunton, VA
Wireless Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAJanuary 23, 2013
Pretty good morale with co-workers, horrible management that was almost non-existant at my location. Got used to dealing with the angry customers daily and had no backup from management or co-workers. Considering the stores location sales were always dismal and the quota was rarely met every month. Good service provider but horribly ran company.
Pros
benefits, able to choose lunch breaks.
Cons
poor sales, bad managment, horrible customers.
Smiles and Sales at Ntelos
Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 19, 2015
A typical day at Ntelos consists of taking payments, selling phones plans, phones, tablets and accessory. I have learned a lot working on cell phones and little tricks to help with general use of a cell phone. I can also trouble shoot general issues with cell phones. I have lost all my original co workers due to management change but I do enjoy the new employees; its like a small family at Ntelos. I see those people more than I see my own family. The hardest part of my job is communication with upper management. In my opinion communication with your employees is key. Happy employees make for a happy work environment. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and forming a bond with my customers. I have people come in specifically asking for me and are willing to wait however long just so I can assist with their issue or sale.
Pros
great co workers, commission
Cons
upper management do not appreciate employee
Great Job Overall
Business and Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 27, 2014
I absolutely love Ntelos. The management experience on up to the CEO has been the best I have ever been apart of. I would say this is the best job you can have as a part timer so far. They even manage to work around my schedule.
Pros
benefits for part timers and a lovely commission system
Overall Good workplace but pay isen't the best
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 12, 2015
The pay is really disapointing and no benefits, but its not a hard job. The best part of the job is the fact you get to work on cell phones all day. You get to see the newest thing out there.