Nuance Transcription Services Employee Reviews

Enjoyed interaction between management and empolyee.
Medical language specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 19, 2017
Typical day at work, enjoyed the staff and some of the physicians were good speakers, making it easy to do my work. Management was very helpful when accuracy or quota went down a bit. The hardest part was sometimes not being able to give 100% even though tried. The most enjoyable was when I was rewarded monetary-wise when I did provide 100% or more.
Pros
Working from home.
Cons
Not able to afford health insurance.
no stress,
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsAugust 31, 2017
I had no stress, hours were good, no trouble, people were nice, I love working as a medical transcriptionist, easy instructions, I learned a lot about different medical issues and treatments
Not enough pay, too much stress
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee) –  at homeAugust 25, 2017
At first, was doing great and loved it. However, before the "cyber attack" it started going down hill. Pay was lowered, as quality went higher and higher and QA later was more strict. Lost money at the end, lost work. Way too much stress.
Pros
At first pay was excellent! Mgmt was very helpful.
Cons
Later, pay suffered, mgmt tried but higher ups were not helpful at all to anyone.
Not a good place to work for
Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Burlington, MAAugust 20, 2017
Upper management keeps changing things, especially concerning pay. Not much chance for career advancement either. They even deduct a percentage of the pay if any blanks can be filled in by someone else.
Excellent pay and benefits
Medical Editor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 12, 2017
A typical work day included 8 hours of listening to dictated medical reports by health care providers and then editing the speech recognition data that came on my computer screen. The technology made my job easier in that I only had to do mild clean up of grammar, punctuation and/or spelling errors. Missed the human experience as it was 99% computer work only. Very little contact with management or staff. Enjoyed the working hours. Technology improvements, less need for the narrative and the role of EHR changed everything in the world of medical transcription. .
Pros
Efficient computer technology
Cons
Reduction in salary and outsourcing
Decent place to work
Client Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lincoln Park, MIAugust 9, 2017
I truly like my work, I like providing a client with a quality document. I learned how to use Epic here, which is a bonus. I like working early hours and I had the 5am to 1pm shift, which I like
Do not work for this company
MLS (Former Employee) –  Home BasedJune 28, 2017
While the educational provisions and modules were very good, the job in general was very poor. I was constantly out of work and had to flex my schedule all the time. The pay was poor and Fiesa grading was very unfair. However, the management team did the best they could given the circumstances they were confronted with.

I worked for NTS full-time for 7 years and was always a good MLS. I was let go because of personal issues and poor productivity as a result. No compassion, allowances, second chances or excuses allowed. After 30 years in the industry and only a few years away from retirement, this was the most cruel and reprehensible thing Nuance could have done. Despite everything I was personally confronted with at the time, I thought at least I still had my job. Nuance even took that away from me.
Pros
Work from home. Good learning modules.
Cons
Lack of work, no compassion and unrealistic expectations.
Have just been transferred to a TOPS account for radiology and the pay is atrocious.
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Current Employee) –  Home BasedJune 27, 2017
Have not had luck with good supervisors. Not responsive to concerns or problems; may take a while, may not hear back at all.

Transferred to a TOPS radiology account and the pay procedure is atrocious. Pay per job, long or short, penalize for headers, and scale never goes up high enough to make a decent wage.
Pros
Work from home.
Cons
Poor pay, poor management
Always helpful from supervisor to daily editing tips.
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30328June 3, 2017
Fun place to work.Lots of training modules and tips of the day to help editors stay up to date with new account procedures and new medications. Learned a great deal and became more detail oriented. Ability to search patient's reports helped identify blanks or medications from previously uploaded reports thereby decreasing amount of blanks.
Pros
Ability to work around schedule and complete shift even when work ran out early.
Cons
Too many differences in account platforms from primary to secondary accounts.
Overseas work only
Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAMay 25, 2017
Very good learning instructions and education. All work is overseas. Strict on quality and review. Very hard to advance in company due to overseas industry.
For a large transcription company, not a bad place to work.
Medical language specialist (Current Employee) –  Burlington, MAMay 18, 2017
We are pretty independent with no one looking over our shoulders; not as much micromanagement as some large transcription companies. As long as we produce, we are pretty well left in peace, depending on the supervisor. The pay and benefits are not what they should be, but I think that's true industry-wide since the advent of voice recognition.
Pros
Independence, working from home.
Cons
The FIESA scoring system and pay grid, not knowing what our pay is going to be from week to week.
Do not work for this company
MLS (Former Employee) –  at homeMarch 15, 2017
You do not get paid what you are worth, barely minimum wage. Expect a line count of 150 lines an hour and at the end of the week get your pay by 10% for some poor excuse.
Pros
None.
Cons
Low pay, hardly any work.
Transcribing medical reports has been a good job for 34 years.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 4, 2017
Always supplied enough work for daily, night, weekends, early mornings or late nights.

Although there was enough work, the hours could very well start at 12 p.m. noon. All the California accounts started at 9 a.m. or 9:30 but their time difference of 3 hours behind, had transcriptionists work until midnight - no matter how old we were (i.e. 22 or 88). I would say the hardest part of the job was the hours. Some jobs started at 8:30 in the same time zone and then nothing else until noon. Time wasted during down time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was typing the reports which were all very interesting and informative.
Pros
Could work at home
Cons
Really on your own completely, not always anyone available for technical problems or questions.
Going downhill.
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Burlington, MAFebruary 10, 2017
Each year, more benefits are taken away. Pay rates are cut. Management does not have time to manage employees efficiently - too few managers for employees.
Wouldn't refer my worst enemy here
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsDecember 20, 2016
Worst place to work. Management takes weeks to respond to issues. Makes sure you don't make money. You are just a number punching in/punching out.
Not an optimal place to work.
Medical Transcriptionist II (Current Employee) –  Burlington, MASeptember 11, 2016
I was outsourced to Nuance from my last hospital job. I decided to try it. This is not my optimal situation for productivity.
Very poor company
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Work from homeMay 13, 2016
Typical day is work by yourself, instructions contradictory.

Learned nothing from this company but it has unlearned me after 25 years of doing transcription, they make up their own rules.

No coworkers except the occasional one who responds to instant message.

The hardest part of the job is very poor audio quality, must transcribe or get points off for leaving blanks which adversely affects your pay. Any mistakes can adversely affect your pay to $100 to $200 that week.

There is nothing enjoyable about this job.
Pros
Work from home.
Cons
Management is done very very poorly.
I liked working here okay, when there was work!
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MANovember 28, 2015
This could have been a great place to work if they would have been able to provide the work for me to do. When paid by the line, you have to have a constant flow of work. And when editing, your pay is about half what it is when you do actual transcription. Unfortunately, most of my work with Nuance was editing. Therefore, I was unable to stay with this company.
Highly stressful position.
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 3, 2015
This job was extremely stressful. The line count was high and the dictators were hard. I was an editor and it was up to me to figure out what the transcriptionist could not.
Pros
I appreciate working from home.
Cons
Line count.
Not a great company if you are new to the business
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeSeptember 20, 2015
My experience at Nuance is a mixed bag of emotions. On one hand I did learn a lot about myself and what I will endure, but also found out very quickly how corporate minded the staff is, and that if you can't hit the numbers, they just don't care.
Pros
Work from home, pays on time
Cons
Unreal expectations of new graduates, high turn over rate