Nuance Transcription Services

Nuance Transcription Services Employer Reviews

I worked for Nuance after buyout with UPMC. They are a good company but pay is production and workload was sometimes low.
Home-based Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee), Burlington, MAAugust 22, 2014
Pros: working from home.
Cons: paid by production and workload sometimes low.
Overall, okay. Working from home was very nice and I was responsible to maintain my work schedule and not be distracted. Management tried to work with us if we ran out of work. They also were very personable in helping us in any way possible.
Good company to work for. Just decided to change careers after 18 years of being a Medical Transcriptionist.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee), Crossville, TNAugust 10, 2014
Pros: ability to work from home.
Cons: no contact with outside world. sitting all day.
I downloaded voice files of physicians' dictation, transcribed all types of hospital inpatient notes, and uploaded the completed notes to the hospital system.
Hard to make a living
Medical Language Specialist (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 7, 2014
Pros: interesting reports, love the work itself.
Cons: very low pay, no incentives, any feedback that is given is usually negative.
I love the work itself. I enjoy typing/editing reports and still learn something new every day. I find my job sometimes challenging yet rewarding to see how far we've come in medicine. After doing this almost 20 years I still enjoy waking up and going to work. I truly love what I do.

One of my biggest areas of concern with this company is the pay. – more... Even though I maintain an accuracy rate above 99% with a hefty line count per day, I'm making much less than I ever have in my career. In addition the account specifics (for one single account) change on a monthly basis. It appears the more you try to excel the more barriers are put before you by management, forcing you to stay where you are.

I was previously working in a hospital transcription dept, which I loved, but then the transcription dept was sold to this company, so I was grandfathered in. I've given it a valiant effort but it's gotten to the point where my paycheck is not sufficient for my basic needs and I need to move on. – less
Very frustrating place to work.
Medical Language Specialist (Current Employee), Burlington, MAApril 25, 2014
Pros: remote work enviroment.
Cons: micromanaged, low compensation, little to no communication, little support.
Since Nuance acquired my former employer, there have been 2 pay reductions and conversion of most dictation to voice recognition even though dictator style does not allow program to process correctly. This results in more time taken to edit than to straight type. Since pay rate for editing is half the straight type rate, most reports are processed this – more... way in order to reduce compensation. Additionally the requirements in production for incentive pay have been raised which, unfortunately, is very difficult to achieve due to the less than adequate software and platform provided.

Typically receive dictations from 3 different accounts on a sporadic basis which slows down production in order to be sure account specifics are followed.

This employer is top-heavy in management with numerous salaried employees that are compensated at a better rate than those of us who produce the income for the company.

The MLS/transcriptionists are not valued as an asset and the reason the company exists.

Advancement is very difficult and dependent on whether or not the supervisor is willing to assist in helping you.

The hardest part of this job is having most responsibility of reports placed on the MLS shoulders and not to the dictators and supervisors who fail to update account specifics for us to follow.

Very little about this job is enjoyable anymore. My concern for the patient is the only thing that keeps me motivated to produce an accurate record.

Communication with this company is practically nonexistent with some parts of management conflicting with others regarding the same procedures or requirements. "The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing." – less
New technology in medical transcription!
Remote Employee (Former Employee), Home-basedFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: 401k
Cons: 60% cut in pay, being monitored daily, learning new skills after 40+ years
A typical day at work would be editing 95% of my dictation, which took a whole new skill to learn, after doing straight transcription for 40+ years; this was offered 5% of the time. Management (QA & QC) would monitor everything I did. I worked at home so I had no co-workers and having worked in 2 hospitals, I missed the interaction between co-workers. – more... The hardest part I would have to say is the change in technology and the 60% cut in pay from what used to be a very lucrative job. – less
It is a challenge.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee), Jonesboro, ARNovember 21, 2013
A typical workday starts with checking e-mails on company program. Then you clock in and open up the software and start working. I had a couple of good managers who were very supportive. The hardest part of the job for me was being able to manage my work hours with life with my family. The part I liked best was the challenge of learning the different – more... accounts. – less
Remote office
Medical Language Specialist (Current Employee), RemoteOctober 3, 2013
I work from home. The hardest part of the job is lack of communication between myself/management/co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job is working from home.
Great company
Operations Specialist (Current Employee), Work from HomeSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: the pay, great benefits, working from home
Cons: 3rd shift, mostly sitting
Great company to work for, I work 3rd shift assisting clients with their stat report HPs, consult, transfer summary reports and PreOps for surgery.
I found the mangement, culture and compensation to be lacking with this company.
Transcriptionist (Former Employee), Burlington, MAAugust 20, 2013
Pros: working at home.
Cons: had to work weekends and holidays with no work being available.
I got up and went to work in my home. I created legal documents for medical records in an EMR profile. I used Edit Script, which is a speech recognition software.
Good company
On-Site Coordinator (Former Employee), Waco, TXJune 21, 2013
I worked on-site with the client, which is not a typical assignment with Nuance. I really enjoyed it and wouldn't have moved on when I did. The client chose to end the position so I had to find other work.

The management was ALWAYS changing. Other than that, it was a good job. The work was great and I was good at it.
Enjoyable to work from home
Medical Language Specialist (Current Employee), HomeJune 2, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: difficult to contact supervisors sometimes
Working from home has allowed me the flexibility to be able to go back to school to finish my degree as well as care for family. However, it has been hard at times when I need immediate contact to a supervisor and no one is available.
It has been very good experience working with Nuance.
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee), BelgaumSeptember 21, 2013
Work according to requirements when necessary, handling TAT jobs. it teaches us how to work as a team work and handle pressures when work load is more.