Nuclear Regulatory Commission Employee Reviews

Hit or Miss
Site Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seneca, SCJuly 24, 2017
Due to the continual rotation of site personnel, some leaders are more mission oriented and less empathetic to family situations. Overall, USNRC is a very nice place to work. Unfortunately, it may be a hit or miss situation with individual leaders/managers.
Seafood Department
Secretary to Director of Finance - Contact CTI (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 11, 2017
I worked as the Secretary for the Meat and Seafood purchasing Manager. I processed orders, typed, answered phones and cooked everyday. I prepared meals for the staff to examine and vote on. I enjoyed my job very mych.
United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission as a Contractor
AA and Human Resources Assistant (C) (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 4, 2017
A typical day at the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) started with printing calendars off for branch chiefs, and division directors. I also worked on Scheduling travel, General correspondence, scheduling meetings, escorting, and many other things.
Pros
Great people to work with, Everyone is helpful.
Cons
Contractors always get the short end of the stick.
Federal Benefits with a great work/home life balance.
Operator Licensing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 10, 2016
For someone with the skills needed by the NRC and a desire to work for the Federal Government in the Washington DC metro area, the NRC is a great place to work.
Productive and Knowledgeable Workplace
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 24, 2016
Interning with Nuclear Regulatory Commission provided insight to not only the work style of government positions but also provided insight to the workings of a nuclear power plant and all the rules and regulations that must be implemented and maintained. I enjoyed my time there and hope that the experience will prove invaluable in future endeavors
United States of America
Records Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  United StatesApril 21, 2016
Records management at nuclear power plants during construction phase. The majority of these plants ran out of money before ever going online.
Typical Day
Student Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 23, 2016
The typical day at the NRC gave me a great chance to succeed. It started with reading the daily Nuclear news which kept me up to date with what was current in the field. Always had positive interactions with co-workers throughout the day, and was put in an environment to be productive.
Great place to work.
Chief (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 23, 2016
Great opportunity for growth, development, and advancement. Work-life balance is important within the NRC.

Management concerned with fungibility of employees. High performing employees are recognized. Incentive awards are encouraged.
Pros
Work-life Balance
Cons
Not much room for administrative advancement.
Excellent
Remedy Asset Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 19, 2015
Great experience excellent co workers, over all enjoyable. Great room for growth enormous learning experience. A huge company but you are treated as if they focus on everyone individually.
Crooks
Instructor (Former Employee) –  ArkansasApril 7, 2015
Worked with this company for a year and they kept promising that they were going to get everyone licensed. I left because I was working without a license which was illegal. The company closed shortly after that.
Cons
very structured work place with a homey feel.
Accounting Tech/clerk (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 4, 2015
coming to work I was surrounded by polite and professional people who loved to help. I learned how to take full accountability for my portion of the work. I also mastered operating Microsoft word and excel while employed at NRC. my highlight of working at NRC was my experience in AP(Accounts Payable) and operating FAMIS accounting system.
Typical Federal Compnay
Reactor Systems Engineer, Secret Level Clearance (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 23, 2015
For a long time considered one of the best places to work in Federal Government, in its decline due to new management. Agency culture has gone away from public service, the mission is nearly not as important as getting that next promotion.
very professional
Service Desk analysts/ IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 18, 2014
Professional environment. Reason for leaving: Change the state.
Great Experience and Career Development
Judicial Law Clerk (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 16, 2014
The NRC is an excellent place to start a career in environmental and energy law, as they have many mentoring programs to provide young lawyers with the opportunity to develop and build skills.
Not the Commercial Nuclear Industry
Licensing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 21, 2014
I would recommend this IF you have industry experience AND you know who you will be working for. I don't think this is a place to be starting out. It may depend on your discipline (i.e. electrical, civil, mechanical, I&C etc.) But it is isolated from the industry and you do not do or think the way of the nuclear industry does. So I do not think you could go from the NRC to the industry only vise versa. If you can put up with alot of management having their own priorities and not that of the industry then perhaps you can stay here. You will be compromised in the application of common sense on occasion.
A great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 17, 2013
A typical days starts with confirming managements calendar for appointments and meetings. Returning emails and calls. Following up with staff in completing required reports for weekly, bi-weekly and executive meetings. I am experienced and conditioned to work in fast past environment. I work well independently and with others. I am qualified, talented and the best hire.
Pros
Excellent team to work with. Very professional environment.
Cons
The contract was tooooo short. I wasn't allowed the opportunity to fully dispay my talents.
Not very productive and Management is in need of training.
Senior Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 5, 2013
Manager are not people oriented and come across cold and only out to protect themselves. This tends to provide a very cold atmostphere.
Pros
gym and eatery on property
Cons
not productive
See narrative below
Civil Rights Grants Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 1, 2012
rated as one of the best places to work in the federal government.

Enjoy opportunity to provide outreach, guidance, and technical assistance to institutions that are underrepresented in STEM areas. Working at NRC is the only federal employment experience that I have. My tenure has been in one office in the agency for three years, which does not give me experience to evaluate the agency any further.
An interesting place to work
XP Migration Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDMay 15, 2012
Really intellegent people from all over the country and world.