Nucor Building Systems Employee Reviews

Great company for those in the steel business
Software Developer (Former Employee), Waterloo, INFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: great people, kind and respectful managers, stable company.
Cons: standard vacation days, isolated location, average salary.
Nucor Building Systems Indiana is a great place to work. Management is kind and available with true open-door policy.
If you are interested in the steel business or metal industry as a sector, this is one of the best companies you could be working for.
As somebody coming from other industries, you might find that NBS might not provide the best on-boarding experience, the jargon is something you will have to pick up on your own or explicitly request your manager/supervisor to provide; again, if you are coming from a civil engineering background or are familiar with building and metal parts concepts, you should be ok. Safety is greatly emphasize, not only at work but also at home and life in general.
unfair workplace
operator (Former Employee), Swansea, SCJanuary 5, 2015
they are intimidated by intelligence
a lot of discrimination in the workplace
All i learned in that work place was to never work there again.
They never stop riding you and they micro manage everything.
The pay was great but there is no home life. 14 Hours a day 6 to 7 days a week.
Great Impression
Associate Engineer (Former Employee), Terrell, TXDecember 5, 2014
Pros: college tuition for family, career development
I never worked for Nucor but I went there in Terrell for an interview, boy did they put on show! Although for technical reasons I could not take the job, the company culture and the people there were so friendly. From the moment I walked in, there was a personal and professional connection. The interview was not the typical type of meeting with an HR person and they deny or accept you. I took a short competency test to show that I have some background knowledge of engineering. Then, I had a chance to meet the people I would have been working with, understand what the company does, tour the fab shop and tell them what I think. I spent more than 6 hours learning and interacting with the staff. Ultimately, I met with the project manager who is awesome. If there is good team to work for and with, it is that group of engineers in Terrell. I will miss them.
Demanding with Very high expectations
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee), Waterloo, INJuly 24, 2014
Management of sales and market share growth in the Upstate New York, Vermont, Massachusetts & Connecticut, through a network of 17 building contractor dealerships. Establish new dealership agreements. Represent, market, maintain, and increase, pre-engineered metal building sales. Recruit and establish new dealership agreements Provide monthly, quarterly and annual forecasts for sales. Provide new pre-engineered metal building estimates, specifications, sales and dealer agreements. Evaluate structural and architectural drawings for pre-engineered metal building estimates. Very demanding and challenging
productive and growth
Production Control Clerk (Former Employee), Swansea, SCApril 11, 2014
The company is very family-oriented. I enjoyed working with a team that cared. We all were team players. My co-workers was very easy to communicate with. I learned when you apply yourself to perform the task and work hard you can definitely succeed. The management team truly work hard for the employees. The hardest to me was not able to complete some assignments when scheduled. There's always room for improvement everywhere you go but you have to take the good with the bad.
Like one Big Family
Advanced Steel Detailer (Current Employee), Terrell, TexasAugust 14, 2013
Pros: profit sharing pay, "yipee checks", roa checks - "return on assets"
Something new to detail everyday
Steel Building Industry - Safety
Management Skills
Co-Workers are like Family
Quality issues from the Customer
Starting a new Project
Productive work place. Very challenging work environment.
3-D Drafter/CAD Drafter (Former Employee), Swansea, SCJune 12, 2013
Pros: benefits, breaks, pay, perks
Cons: biased, favoritism shown, unfair, insufficient training
Any typical day started with going over contracts or project designs in order to get a job started.
I learned something new everyday.
Management needs to be improved in a major way.
My co-workers were a lot of help. Most of them friendly and very helpful, others were rude and talked down to me.
The hardest part of my job there was trying to learn so much in a short period of time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the experience to learn something new and something I can use later.
Great company to work for!
Credit Manager and Accounting Manager (Former Employee), Swansea, SCMarch 21, 2012
Pros: good benefits, great pay, good management
Cons: male dominated, hard to move up without moving away
Very good company to work for. Very male dominant industry. Was able to learn a lot since I started when the plant first opened its doors. Great company and one I would recommend to anyone looking for a manufacturing job