Nucor Employee Reviews

Intern at Nucor Steel in Norfolk, NE
Environmental Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, NEFebruary 22, 2017
Walking in the door, it is apparent that safety is the number one concern for Nucor Steel. The work culture drives success and improvement and feels like family. Management allows people to openly be creative and innovative. The opportunity, coaching and development in their intern program is excellent.
Pros
Safety is Number 1
Productive and good place to work
Steel Detailer (Former Employee) –  Brigham City, UTFebruary 2, 2017
Nucor hires the best. If you make it consider yourself lucky. They are also willing to hire and train the right person. You have your own working area and desk so you have privacy. Great benefits and good working conditions.
Benefits
Cons
Cubicle office with no windows
Shift Electrician
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 31, 2017
The job pays better than most but also can be a way more demanding than most. The steel mill already provides a harsh working environment, so having to deal with bad managers makes it suck that much harder. I mainly learned about troubleshooting motors and hydraulics. There are a lot of negative aspects of the job but there were also some times when it was pretty awesome. Some of the guys I really miss working with, others not so much. Many of the crew were "unprofessional" to say the least, lots of trash-talking and all that, which some people may like but that just ain't me.
Pros
pays well
Cons
harsh environment
Great place to work if you need money
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, NEJanuary 29, 2017
Nucor was a very safety oriented workplace. They were very focused on producing good product at lowest cost possible. It's a great place to make money if you don't have a college degree, and if you do the detailing center pays well, too!
not very productive
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Litchfield, ILJanuary 27, 2017
lots of confusion not very organized. Under new management and they are not working in a very efficient way. New plant management is ot sure of his duties
Pros
safety bonus
Cons
they dont follow there own rules
Mix bag
production utliity (Former Employee) –  Convent, LAJanuary 26, 2017
Good people to work with but not for. Lower Management tries to take care of their employees while upper management only cares about the plant running to make corporate happy. It is hot dirty hard work 75% of the time. The hardest work will come when you are not making production bonus.
Pros
Production bonus only when running above average rate.
Cons
Lots of downtime. Cheap equipment. Working with combustible dust. Poor working conditions
Great Pay
Shipping and Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Darlington, SCJanuary 15, 2017
Great pay, A lot of upper management turnover at the plant level. If you do not have a college education this job is not for you if you are looking to get promoted.
Good Will Ambassador
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, NEJanuary 12, 2017
I really enjoyed my time working for Nucor, as I got to travel all of Iowa and Minnesota making friends all over the place. My work ethic is strong and I am still friends with some of those people that purchased steel from me.
It's a good paying job.
Mostly reheat furnace operator or Stacker helper (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHJanuary 2, 2017
It's a good paying job with a good safety culture. I would say that there are opportunities to advance in this company if you know how to present yourself.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long and difficult hours
Sales Service Representative / Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  Marion, OHDecember 22, 2016
Typical day -- Taking care of customers by being available when they need something. Letting them know what's coming up and getting material to them in a timely manner.

Nucor has taught me to be my own person.

Management is great.

Hardest part of the job -- nothing

Most enjoyable part of the job -- I like helping others, so enjoy what I do.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Distance
Amazing Company
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Jewett, TXDecember 17, 2016
I was with Nucor for a summer and totally impressed! My supervisor told me I could work 4 days a week instead of 5 so I could go home on the weekends (My family lived an hour away). I was given a house to live in free of rent and utilities, all I had to pay for were groceries. My fellow interns were a blast and the department enjoyed hosting us.
Pros
My bosses, the cafeteria food, the onsite gym
Cons
Small town with not much to do outside the plant
Great teammates
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 1, 2016
1st call for breakdown calls of overhead cranes, mobile and support equipment.
Routine preventative and predictive maintenance for those pieces of equipment
Up to 400 ton overhead cranes, 55K capacity forklifts, gas/diesel trucks, welders, generators, light plants
Parts ordering and inventory
Job planning and department upgrades
Communicate with vendors on department needs

I've excelled my industrial maintenance career beyond anything i could have imagined. They really make you think outside the box. My co-workers are like family. You spend more time with them than you do with your own family most weeks. The hardest part of my job would be the heat. Temperatures sometime get up to 150 degrees. The most enjoyable part of my job would be the different task we see everyday. There is for the most part always something new going on.
Pros
good pay when production is good
Cons
bad pay when production is down
Great People/Poor Management
Safety Director (Former Employee) –  Convent, LADecember 1, 2016
NUCOR Steel Louisiana is a great training ground to seek experience in the industrial atmosphere. This location is different from other locations where NUCOR is the big fish in the pond. In Louisiana there are several major players in the area leaving NUCOR really a training ground for the competition. The Management team is less than subpar. Production is first, SAFETY is an after thought. The GM is out of touch with the day to day operations. The leadership style is REACTIVE instead of PROACTIVE. The employees that they hire have no mechanical experience, and are not properly trained once they are hired, they walk with an experience person for about a week then they are placed in a area and have to figure it out on their own. NSLA has had 3 Safety Directors in four years as well as Environmental Directors, controllers and other administrative people. I was the 3rd one in four years. Extremely high turnover rate due to the competition in the area. For every 8-10 new employees they hire they loose the same, its a revolving door. NUCOR Steel Louisiana pays on a production bonus. It works in the steel mills but in LA, its different because its a plant. So if the plant is not running you don't get your bonus. Down time could go from a week to a month. Incompetent maintenance team, real lack of knowledge of how the plant works. A CPA is the HR manager who is clueless as to what or how HR works. No accountability at all. If your looking to get experience and move on this is the place for you. Don't drink the juice about the culture. I had the opportunity to visit other locations.  more... Convent is day and night in reference to culture of the other locations. The NUCOR culture is not the same as Jewett, Auburn, Decatur. Get your experience then get out.  less
Pros
A Job
Cons
Not SAFE, Downtime, No Accountability, Leadership out of touch
Long hours. Alot of days a week. Weekend work required
Strand tender (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 21, 2016
Great place to work. Hard to spend time wuth your family. Great money a year. Management is ok. They are fair about advancement. Have to relocate to move up in the company.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Long hours and weekend
Great work atmosphere.
Structural Detailer (Current Employee) –  Waxahachie, TXNovember 12, 2016
Fantastic everyday all day. I've learned about structural reinforcing and concrete (i.e. different grades of steel, psi concrete mixtures.. etc.) Management is helpful and coworkers are polite. Hardest part is interpreting drawings per details, sections, elevation, and plan views. I love that the coffee pot is always full.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Its what you make it
Shift Electrician (Former Employee) –  Cofield, NCOctober 31, 2016
This job can either be the perfect one for you or your worst nightmare. Room for advance off of the floor is pretty small sine there just aren't a lot of position past the floor and they are filled with a waiting list to get into them. However, you will be able to pick up an amazing amount of skills and knowledge here if you apply yourself. Best part of the job is your co workers and the worst part of the job is the environment and management.
Pros
You will learn tons of amazing skills and great potential for pay due to production bonus
Cons
No advancement, poor benefits and poor potential for pay due to production bonus
Great culture. Safety always first. Great benefits
Project Engineer/Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALOctober 25, 2016
Everyone had positive work attitude for each other. Nucor employees are like families. Everyone cares about you. Great place to grow and learn
Love it!!
Payed intern (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHOctober 9, 2016
I loved working here and I miss it. The employees worked hard most of them. They treated you as you was important and respected you. It was family away from family.
Great culture...for production
SAFETY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 4, 2016
Nucor has great culture and is focused on producing, producing safely.
They are good at encouraging employees to be honest and have integrity, but compensation for anyone not in production is an issue. They do not adjust wages based on location, safety personnel are under paid, greatly.
Structural steel detailer
Structural Steel Detailer (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Swansea, SCSeptember 26, 2016
• Responsible for constructing anchor bolt floor plans and details
• Create detailed drawings based off engineers designs
• Communication across all departments when dealing with any discrepancies between engineers designs and contract information.
• Double checks on final drawing designs
• Scrubbing work on drawings marked with errors.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nucor. Our community is ready to answer.