Nucor Employee Reviews in United States

Very depressing environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILFebruary 1, 2016
Nucor boasts of a culture where the employees are empowered to make decisions. It couldn't be further from the truth. Kankakee Management has a long way to go.
Pros
The benefits of a fortune 500 company
Cons
Poor management
Solid forward thinking company that will continue sustainable growth for years to come.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILFebruary 7, 2016
Nucor overall has a great culture that promotes a bottom up management style. Giving the opportunity to individuals at all levels to make decisions and improvements to better the company. Nucor has taught me how to be an effective leader. You have the ultimate freedom but this freedom comes a great amount of responsibility.
Professional environment, but not stuffy.
Maintenance Drafting Intern (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, UTMarch 21, 2016
Safety is very important here, every week there is a safety meeting and everyone looks out for each other. Each person has their own work and stays pretty busy. The people I worked with were patient with me and helped me to learn procedures and skills for the job. Management was supportive. Personal accountability is the main thing here.
The hardest part was sitting at a desk for long periods of time. I was able to get up every once in a while and stretch my legs with a short walk or jumping jacks.
The most enjoyable part was being able to focus on my work and stay busy. Every day was an exercise that built my skills and knowledge.
Pros
Safe environment in spite of the dangerous industry.
Cons
The position I filled was only temporary, and not very close to where I live.
Good place to work if you need a job and dislikes lay-offs
Process Manager Molds and Segments (Current Employee) –  Ghent, KYNovember 14, 2015
Values the team over education and experience. Compensation fluctuates too much to allow long term planning. Culture is definitely different than other industrial facilities.
Pros
Encourage Teamwork, No Layoffs
Cons
Salary, Advancement, Pollyanna approach to problems
Great environment
Raw Materials Procurement Clerk (Former Employee) –  Darlington, SCFebruary 12, 2016
Work hard long hours (plan about 60 hours a week). Very hard lifestyle if have young children. However have great benefits.
Safety driven!!!
Great place to work if you can commit to the hours
Cons
Great Company but very high Nepotism practiced leading to high stress
Advanced Engineering Detailer (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXOctober 13, 2015
worked there for over 9 years and lost my job due to Nepotism. the overall company is fantastic to work for, NUCOR Steel is the best company I ever worked for.
Pros
great benifits, profit sharing, bonus's, good pay, Ins
Cons
Nepotism at its worst, promotion is directly proportional to relations
Productive Workplace With Great Benefits
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALFebruary 8, 2016
Great Job Learned A lot Of New Things. Great Co-Workers Management Is Consistent ..the hard part was the pipe woke but some times it was easy but I got the hang of of the the job in it worked out just fin.the most enjoyable part was the people im am a good peoples person I make friends easy in im always in a good mood
Pros
Numerous Hours
Cons
N/A
Hard work, good pay, bad work environment
employee (Former Employee) –  LaCrosse, VAOctober 31, 2015
High turn over, so that should tell you something.

Short or no notice for overtime and lots of it

Lack strong leadership to introduce timely, meaningful change.

Policies are not consistent throughout the company. My handbook states we will be paid production bonus during our break, but we were not.

Nice people, but not sure the leaders should be in their jobs

Before you apply, talk to someone who works there who isn't in a "leadership" role to get the real scoop, so you don't leave a good job for the lure of money that will fluctuate based on your schedule and the bonus.
Pros
Good pay and benefits compared to the area competition
Cons
pay fluctuates because of bonus and hours
very productive work place
3-D Drafter/CAD Drafter (Former Employee) –  Swansea, SCFebruary 2, 2016
sit in my cubicle, draw/draft building plans
I learned a lot about AutoCAD, Tekla, and just the whole process from rough to final drawings.
My co-workers were very helpful, involved people.
Hardest part of the job was understanding fully the job at hand.
Pros
hours, kind of work
Cons
management, felt like I was isolated
Internship was not what was advertised
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaJanuary 2, 2016
Going into this internship I was under the impression I would be challenged. Over the course of the summer I was there, I had done more very little actual engineering work but instead worked right along side the maintenance crew on the line. This was not bad, however its as not what was advertised to me at my career fair.
United States largest and best Steel Mill
TRANSPORTATION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 9, 2015
Great managed company that respects employee through their benefits package and being family oriented. You know what direction your career is progressing through mid and year end reviews. Spend a great deal of time on training and safety of employees which is great business practices. Learned good business ethics and how to properly coach employees. Best part of job is knowing there are other team members that are their to handle their role and support one another as needed.
Pros
very well run company
Cons
possibly over training if I had to pick a con
Not a good or honest company to work for
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 29, 2016
The company use to be a great company but has went downhill. The upper management isn't trustworthy and the company is all over the place. I wouldn't recommend working for this company.
Not a good place to work.
various positions (Former Employee) –  Portland, TNFebruary 15, 2015
This company is run on politics. If upper management doesn't like you then you are out of luck. I have seen and heard many people get overlooked and passed over for promotions for the plain and simple reason that upper management didn't like them. If an employee has a problem or disagreement with their manager the management ALWAYS sides with the manager. The non managers are just mostly told to shut up and do what your manager tells you to do. If you don't, you will get written up and it will be placed in your file. Once you are written up you will be written up for the slightest things so that they can get rid of you.
Pros
fairly good benefits
Cons
vacation is terrible. you have to work 10 years before you get 3 weeks.
Workaholics only apply
Heavy Machinery Operator, Loading, Shipping (Former Employee) –  Grapeland, TXNovember 3, 2015
Worked 60 plus hours a week with a 20 minute lunch and few breaks a day. We worked 10 to 19 hours a day back to back against OSHA.
Management allowed employees to harass and degrade other employees.
Pros
provided water and gatorade
Cons
too many hours a day 10-19 with a 20 minute lunch and maybe a bathroom break
Job
Commercial Representative (Current Employee) –  Maryville, MONovember 16, 2015
Lmp was a great place to work. The days went fast, and the co workers are great to work with. Management is great and treat their employees with respect.
Nucor Is a Safe work Environment
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXJune 2, 2015
Nucor is an awesome place to work the culture is Focused on safety, quality, production.

I am the only woman to have worked in the shop.
This is truly amazing to me that I could work with the guys pulling my own weight.
The money is very good it is base on pay for performance (bonus)
So if your not in it for your teammates best stay at home.
Pros
Health, dental, life insurance, and 401k
Great company w/ Awesome Benefits and competitive pay
Quality Technician (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 13, 2015
Typical work schedule is 4 days on, 4 days off, rotating each week between days and nights.
Gained valuable work experience in a Fortune 150 company.
Management was often inexperienced but supportive.
Co-Workers were great.
The hardest part of the job is rotating between days and nights each week.
The benefits and having 4 days off each week.
Pros
benefits, on-site doctor, gym, pay
Cons
long hours, day and night-weekly rotation.
Great company for those in the steel business
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, INFebruary 24, 2015
Nucor Building Systems Indiana is a great place to work. Management is kind and available with true open-door policy.
If you are interested in the steel business or metal industry as a sector, this is one of the best companies you could be working for.
As somebody coming from other industries, you might find that NBS might not provide the best on-boarding experience, the jargon is something you will have to pick up on your own or explicitly request your manager/supervisor to provide; again, if you are coming from a civil engineering background or are familiar with building and metal parts concepts, you should be ok. Safety is greatly emphasize, not only at work but also at home and life in general.
Pros
great people, kind and respectful managers, stable company.
Cons
standard vacation days, isolated location, average salary.
Poor work ethic, to much control of your money
Production worker (Current Employee) –  Roll millAugust 17, 2015
Nucor steel Connecticut wAs a terrible experience right from the start. The company feels they come first, not your family or anything else. There bonus pay structure is terrible and not what they tell you it is. You will be working a tremendous amount of hours for time and a half of your base rate. When you hear about all the great salarys at nucor remember most of those people are working 80 hours a week. Not 4 on 4 off like they promise everyone. You will work 12 hour shifts , most of the time with no lunch or breaks. If you are one minute late for something completely out of your control they take a bonus day from you. After 4 bonus days they take your production bonus away from you for the whole week even if you are late one minute after busting your hump all week. Bonus days get used if you are late,sick,or leave early regardless of the situation. Remember 60% of you pay is production bonus so they take more than half your check for even one minute. They use intimidation on people when they get hurt so you dont report it and it makes them seem like a safe place to work. They even have the o site nurse lie for them. Stay away trust me!
Pros
Cons
Terrible vacation, no sick or personal time, bonus pay, health care sucks
Great Company no advancement opportunity
Quality Assurance Technician (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, UTApril 11, 2016
Great company but I feel like just a number. Feel like we have to walk on egg shells and there is no trust.
It is harder for an older person to compete with young men half their age.