Nucor Employee Reviews

Pays well, to many politics and corporate attempts to run each division as the same which they are not
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth UtahJanuary 20, 2018
Good growth company that tries to be progressive,pays well and has a good profit sharing plan, 401K and health benefits. Advancement is readily available if you are qualified and meet the Nucor profile.
Pros
High pay, opportunity to advance and many oppertunities to learn
Cons
Devoted to their management profile and do not like free thinkers
The only reason
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVJanuary 19, 2018
Nucor has been the best company I have worked for. They really care for their employees and the benefits and pay show. Unfortunately my plant is closing.
Pros
401k, competitive bonus, room for growth
Cons
My plant is shutting down.
Teamwork
Intern (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 15, 2018
This is a fast paced job in a dangerous environment. Nucor takes safety very seriously, and everybody looks out for each other. When times are good, this job pays very well. I would highly recommend trying out for a job here.
Ok company to work for
TM (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVJanuary 15, 2018
Too many people in management who didn't know what they were doing resulting in inefficiency and long work hours. A lot of good people but developed into a culture of fear and intimidation towards the end of my tenure.
Pros
Pay/benefits
Stressful job
Maintenace electriciam (Current Employee) –  JewettJanuary 14, 2018
Been here almost twenty years. Used to be a great place to work now, it's just another job. Company used to be people oriented, but has become more big corporation like. Money now pushed to the executive level at the expense of the workers. No sick leave, you are punished financially on holidays and vacation days, very long working hours with sometimes weeks without a day off. If you are young and looking for a career, look elsewhere.
Pros
Pay is fairly good
Cons
To get good pay, you have to choose time at nucor over family time
shipping & recieving
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Chemung, NYJanuary 6, 2018
Run a overhead crane, Feed the lines with steel and do inventory once a month. ship decking on flatbed trucks. unload deck plant line and put in the stock area.
Good company
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 5, 2018
Nucor takes care of their employees. While it may take time to advance, this is usually due to no one leaving. They have provided a good living for me and my family.
Safety Over site
Independent Safety and Oversight Contractor (Former Employee) –  Blytheville, ARJanuary 1, 2018
I only worked at Nucor as a safety over sight contractor . I was only there twice a year . I also did this at Kelloggs , Eggo and other plants . Plz check my resume .
Fast pace ,Safety minded
Roll Turner (Former Employee) –  Auburn, NYDecember 28, 2017
12 hr shifts..Hot in summer and cold in the winter its a Steel mill,The new management made a big decision on why i left.It was their way or the highway.
Fast Paced Work Environment
Slitter / Folder Operator (Current Employee) –  Lacrosse, VADecember 13, 2017
Nucor has great benefits and advancement opportunities are unlimited. They are very concerned with the safety of the employees at work as well as at home.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Compensation
great place
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Blytheville, ARDecember 13, 2017
this was a great place to work. people are nice but stubborn. great benefits and opportunity. it could get hot, stressful and otherwise miserable, but everyone is and we all work through it and celebrate on the other side.
Stressed people who do good work
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 8, 2017
The people there were stressed a lot but always got their work done. Did their job without any question. Not very good communication between workers in the office.
Fair place to work, seem to care alot about employees
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSNovember 29, 2017
Competitive work environment, Great desires to exceed the customers expectations. Great Team Work, annual bonuses, safety bonuses. Not to stressful or difficult to complete assignments
Pros
11 paid Holidays, plus Birthday
Cons
Weather can be extremely hot, or extremely cold
Hardest part of the job.
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brigham City, UTNovember 29, 2017
I was responsible for the sales in CA WA and OR. Some days were spent on overtime that required 70+ hours a week. This made time with my family very difficult.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Management is tough
Stay away from this place.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Convent, LANovember 22, 2017
I was with the company for several years and I regretted staying there that long. All but of the original management has either relocated to other locations or been demoted and replaced. They have of serious turnover issue there also. The average time an employee stays is 6 months to a year or until they find a better job. The pay is too unstable and you have to live a frugal life style. I had the hardest time getting a mortgage due to the fact of the bonus system and low hourly pay rate they give you. A good bonus you may make low $30s an hour but that's a rare. Average bonus will yield you $20ish an hour and no bonus is roughly $10 an hour. It looks good on paper but when your bonus is low your making pennies there. Granted they don't lay employees off but they will put you into bankruptcy. They refuse to have comparable pay with nearby plants so many people have quit because of that. They expect you to budget your money but it's very difficult to budget it when you will never know how much money you will make weekly. One week it can be $300.00 and the next week it can be $1000 a week. You never know. There's no sick days so if you come down with the flu either you come to work sick or stay home and receive no pay. You can't take vacation unless someone is willing to work for you. If no one will work you can't take vacation days that you earned. The management is clueless and have no idea how to be management. They always try to cut costs and make very bad financial decisions. The company has invested over 1.6 billion dollars to start up and they haven't ran successfully for  more... more than a year without going down. They have no return on investments to date at that location. The work is very hard, environment is dusty and dirty. Your basically working in a coal mine that's outside. You're constantly in the weather despite pouring downfall of rain, cold freezing temperatures or hot sweltering heat. Just be prepared to hole watch for a whole 12 hour shift, shovel iron ore, sweep iron or dust or break your back demoing or rebuilding a reactor or process gas heater every 6 months. It's not your typical "plant" job as other chemical or refineries in the local areas are like. So don't expect to go there and work like a real plant operator. Your're just a underpaid, overworked laborer who gets treated unfairly.  less
Pros
Good place to get experience for a better job.
Cons
Too many to name.
Volunteering with them is enjoyable
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILNovember 21, 2017
I enjoy volunteering with and working along side Nucor. I have never actually worked in the company, I have just volunteered. They are very friendly people and they work you hard. But it is nice because they are volunteering and working right along with you. (I cannot change the Start and End dates because they are marked as required. Let me clearify again, I HAVE NOT ACTUALLY WORKED FOR NUCOR; I only volunteer for them)
Rewarding Experience
Rolling Mill Electrician (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHNovember 18, 2017
During my tenure at this company I was introduced to many new challenges that my skill set could tackle. Being a troubleshooter allowed me the freedom to resolve many tasks and prove myself a valuable asset.
Hard work for Good Pay
Melting/Casting Lead (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 17, 2017
Hard and hot work, especially in the summertime. Able to earn good pay and plenty of overtime available (normally more than you want). Depending on which department you work in will determine chances of advancement and general enjoyment of your work. Some managers like to make it miserable and have turned it into a cutthroat environment. Others truly care about you and want to help you and the team succeed. Friends are routinely promoted over the most deserving and this has created an environment that requires you to play the political game to have any chance of moving up. Certain supervisors try to lead their crews through fear/intimidation. They like to get one or two write ups on your record so that you don't have any room for error, sad the way they've made certain people to come to work everyday scared for their job. This is not the case with all though and there are several who will stand up for what they believe in and take care of their team.
Pros
Good Pay/Great Benefits
Cons
Depending on department, morale is low due to management
Great company, tough business
Sales (Former Employee) –  AlabamaNovember 14, 2017
Take my word for it:
Do not go to work for an acquisition division
Do not go to work in the buildings group
The steel mills make money
Cut-throat
Safety-focused
Average benefits
Drink the corporate kool-aid, or you will go nowhere.
Pros
Not sure really
Cons
Fabrication plants
amazing
FLOATER (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALNovember 13, 2017
they have one of the greatest places to work they have over 200 plants nation wide and have thousands on thousands of employees the management is tight and by far the most enjoyable part of the job was no matter what there was always something different to do everyday