Nugget Market, Inc. Employee Reviews

no opportunity for advancement
Cook (Current Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 25, 2017
They are willing to lose good people and not pay them enough. Ask you to take higher position with no raise they say before giving you a raise you have to working in the new position for three months to see if you can handle it? They don't compensate for your skills and position. Schedules are very unstable it changes every week without notice im sure a lot of employees have appointments made already and family to take care of, when ask if it can be stable they rather take off the schedule. Poor management.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
no advancement, poor management, pay
A decent place to work
Guest assistance, Member (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CANovember 10, 2017
I really enjoyed working here as a teenager. It used to be a really nice place to work. I still think the benefits are great, However, I think that the politics have changed and I do not like working here anymore.
Great atmosphere and friendly culture that makes work enjoyable.
Healthy Living Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CANovember 9, 2017
Nugget Market is an amazing company to work for that makes you feel good about coming to work. I've never worked for a company that I enjoyed what I did more than Nugget Market.
stressful place to work
Barista/Checker (Former Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAOctober 28, 2017
Nugget is focused on making numbers and the best guest service. Their turnover rate for employees is high too. During training you are told you cannot say no to guests and are even allowed to give away $10 of merchandise to ensure the guest leaves happy. i didnt learn anything that i didn't already know.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
horrible environment
Awesome company to work for
Night Crew Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 18, 2017
The overall experience at nugget was a good one. The benefits for the associates are awesome. Its a lot of young kids first jobs. So the pay is not the best.
Just okay.
Guest assistance, Member (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAOctober 10, 2017
The management tends to play favorites, but other than that it's an okay place to work. They are very flexible with students, and have great benefits. It's just not my field of choice, but for a first job it would be acceptable.
Pros
Schedule is very flexible, works with students
Cons
Fast paced, stressful, poor management in many stores, lack of diciplinary action.
Flawed in typical ways, but overall a great company
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cameron Park, CAOctober 6, 2017
Schmoozing management allowed slackers to float by under the radar. Positions most visible to management received frequent acknowledgement and incentives, positions that rely on personal integrity rarely acknowledged, pay caps encouraged long standing employees to switch to easiest job possible, infrequent vertical progression, transferring to another store seemed to be the only way to move up. Employee culture however was positive and fun, the atmosphere rubbed off on guests, which had a synergistic effect. the store was always very clean and well laid out, the approach to customer service was the best I've ever seen. Holidays and big sales events created a lot of positive energy and overtime opportunities. I'd still be working there if i didn't move out of state.
Pros
Culture, Parties, Discount Card
Cons
Pay raises only with time, not merit, facilitates slackers
Fun place to work with some advancement
Deli Top Gun (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 3, 2017
Nugget is a fun place to work (especially as a working college student). I met some great lifelong friends and had some opportunities to work in different stores around Northern California. Would recommend to those looking for a new job opportunity.
Friendly, Fast Paced, and Highly Functional
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAAugust 28, 2017
Nugget Market is an excellent place to work. What you put in, you will get out; if you are someone who is looking to advance within the company, this will not go unrecognized, and as long as you put in the work, you will see yourself move up. The culture is always positive, from the top down, and I would recommend working there to anyone.
Pros
Benefits, Friendly associates, good pay
Cons
Can be hard to fit in school if you're in a perimeter department
Great atmosphere, friendly coworkers beautiful store
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAJuly 25, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of helping guests with meal plans, prepping veggies for the salad bar, slicing meats and cheeses, and making sandwiches. I learned that I loved working directly with food. The management team was very helpful and kind. The culture was hardworking and very helpful and welcoming. The hardest part of the job was time management to get everything done in time and not seeing my family at night. And the best part was getting to give our guests good food and meeting the guests that were coming back.
good when in college
Checker / Product Associate (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJuly 12, 2017
Great company for while you are young. Not many opportunities for professional careers. Get the experience, enjoy it, have fun, but know a professional career probably cant be obtained.
Great All Around
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJune 14, 2017
A great family owns Nugget, the compensation is great, they truly care and invest in their employees, it is a great environment with room for growth. My stay was enjoyable.
Great Company
Lead Bookkeeper, Point Of Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 25, 2017
Lots of growth opportunities and has a family culture. Chances for advancement are often and they really like to incest in the associates. Fortune 100 company for over 12 years in a row.
Active beautiful store, clean and neat. Lots of pressure to follow rules, not much forgiveness if you make any errors. Not enough front end support.
Cashier/Clerk/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAMay 22, 2017
Beautiful store, very neat and clean. Fellow employees help as much as possible. Lots of rules some don't make sense as some employees can do things others are not allowed, so not equal basis of operations. More front end support is needed for new hires. Expectations are sometimes unreasonable. Lots of pressure to be faster, not enough backup at times. Overall it can be very stressful.
Pros
Clean beautiful store
Cons
Lots of pressure to perform a certain level
Really good company to work for but poor management
Night Crew / Stocking (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAApril 11, 2017
Working for nugget markets was a great experience, competitive pay, friendly, positive and kind attitude. However my experience was marred by very poor management which include but not limited to harassment and favoritism. Unfortunately this is a problem without solution with how the hierarchy of nugget works and resulted in the resignation of an entire night crew and extremely poor toxic environment.
Official response from Nugget Market, Inc.
April 17, 2017

We’re grateful you felt your Nugget Market experience was overall positive and worth while. We’re very sorry to hear your time with us ended negatively. We encourage all our associates to share their concerns and difficulties, as we take harassment seriously and aim to cultivate a community of associates who are valued and heard. We hope to keep you as a guest and appreciate you sharing your feedback. - Nicole

Night Stocker (Current Employee) –  Cameron Park, CAJanuary 1, 2017
Wonderful place to work. Management is always there to help and always looking out for you. Very flexible with a work schedule.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Best Job I've Every Had
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodland, CA 95695November 25, 2016
This is an awesome place to work. Everyone is very hardworking and respectful. You are recognized for your hard work and there is no end to what you can achieve in this company if you work for it.
Not a previous employee but...
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sonoma, CAOctober 27, 2016
I haven't worked here. However, we have been regular customers in the Sonoma store since moving to the area. My daughter thought about applying there but upon looking at the requirements apparently you cannot be your own person. No piercings, no jewelry no tattoos, no nail polish. I mean...seriously? It's 2016. It's a little much and pretty disappointing.
Official response from Nugget Market, Inc.
March 24, 2017

I do know they allow tattoos and limited piercings but the other things you mention, no jewelry, no nail polish, are not restrictions from Nugget, they are from the health department and are requirements if you are working with food.

Fun place to work, great benefits, flexible schedules
PIC (person in charge) (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAJune 3, 2016
Nugget is a fun/great place to work with room for advancement if you truly work hard. Benefits are what sets this place apart from the rest. Management is always positive and willing to do what it takes to help you get the job done. Very flexible when it comes to your availability. Each stores has a family feel and it is really enjoyable to be around. The company has a bunch of compensation programs where you get straight cash for going above and beyond. It is a retail world so it is very fast pace and you might work holidays. Some managers might play favorites. I personally feel the pay isn't great, but can be over a period of time.
Pros
Benifits, work enviroment, flexibilty, advancement, fun
Cons
Pay, managers playing favorites, working on holidays
Compensation
Bakery Trainer/Head Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAMay 11, 2016
They don't compensate for your skills and position. The company plays favorites. They are willing to lose good people and not pay them enough. When someone decides to leave then they talk about more pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nugget Market, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2