Nyack Hospital Employee Reviews

Not a place for longevity
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nyack, NYAugust 29, 2012
Over-all, this is basically a "stepping stone" for many employees. Eventhough there are some long term employees here spanning over 20 years, the majority of new employees are looking for other places of employment within a year. This is due to sr. management.

Sr. management does not care about the clinical issues that lower management and regular employees deal with on a daily basis.This is due to them not being "clinical" or actually having a medical background in the areas they over-see.

Important things that are needed to do your duty are not always available because the hospital is always on "credit hold" with one vendor or another.

Do not be mislead by the plastic smile that you will encounter/receive from your "boss." They really don't care about anything but keeping their six figure salary.

If you decide to work here, be prepared for "the nyack way." AKA, hurry up and wait.
Pros
n/a
Cons
demanding superiors that do not care about your situtation, very opposed to the unions/barganing units in the institution.
Has it frustrating moments but overall not that bad
Patient Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Nyack, NYJanuary 6, 2013
Nyack hospital is a decent start if you are starting a career in health care! Best part of the Job is helping people who really need your help! As a PCA it can get stressful when the unit is under staff and at times the RNs solely rely on you to get tasks done! Great place to learn if you are a nursing student. PCA are required to draw blood, EKG, answer call bells, a lot of total patient care, turn and position, vitals(twice per shift), finger stick, empty out foleys, clean ostomy bags and some nurses even ask you to perform ememas! Worst part of the job is dealing with a lot of isolation contact patients.
Pros
union, extra hours if you need, at times friendly co-workers, zero co-pay
Cons
floating, under staffed, late raises, pay, work load
They work you as a dog and then blame you at everything
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nyack, NYSeptember 26, 2013
To say that this is a busy place is to say nothing. It was funny to read somebody's review that said that some RNs are lazy. At Nyack hospital nurse cannot possibly be lazy. A typical work day at Nyack nurses work 13 hours shift straight without breaks, bathroom time, or water. It is all luxury. Somebody can say that I exaggerate. People do not believe when nurses tell them about working conditions. Management is eager to blame nurses at all mistakes and errors that occur due to unhealthy and unsafe working conditions. Indeed, it is easier to blame staff than analyze roots. The worse part is to see patients suffering and not being able to help them. I know nurse who quit nursing profession after Nyack experience. My experience working at Nyack was also very bad. I still have my stress level up when I remember my time I worked at Nyack.
review
RN BC (Current Employee) –  Nyack, NYAugust 15, 2013
changing shift by giving report at bedside introduction to the pt. preliminary assessement. chart and medication check. then vs answering call bells attend to pt needs. communicate with md , pharmacy and lab. adm night meds do compleate assessment. document findings collect speciments. finger stick, dressing changes. suction as needed document, .
time management, leadership. being a team player.
the hardest part of the job is feeling in adequate not mesuring up feeling you forget something because of patient load and lack of staff.
most enjoyable is when i know i have made a difference in a pt and his familie members life, made a difficult situation a little easiere for the pt.
Pros
good health care plan
Cons
rarely any brakes, lack of linnen, basic supplis, have to go and borrow from other floors
learn, love and safe dc home for families and patient
Case Manager/Appeals Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Nyack, NYOctober 24, 2014
My first job in the medical field was at Nyack Hospital in 1973 as a nurses aid. i continued on my advancement in the field and became a Graduate Nurse in 1974, i started my nursing career at Nyack.

i returned to Nyack seeking per diem employment about 11 yrs ago and have been there every Saturday since.

In this position I am a Nurse Case Manager facilitating discharges on Saturdays. a typical day at work starts at 7:30 and ends around 5pm.

At Nyack, I have learned to be flexible and expect the unexpected. Since I usually work alone on saturdays, with an occasional other person i like my co-workers very. the hardest part of my job is working alone. the most enjoyable part of my job is seeing a smile on the patient and families face when the patient can be discharged to a safe plan, home vs rehab, etc
To many clicks in the company
RN (Former Employee) –  ICUApril 17, 2013
I wanted so much to work there due to great reviews and there were a bunch of RN's and other staff that were friendly and understanding however you can not teach an old dog new tricks would be a better phrase for the older clicks who made it their business to make a person just wish they had never gotten hired there to begin with. Their main goal is to make it a friendly environment for the patients as well as the staff, Looked good on the video right, but then the camera turns off and the back stabbing and lies begin. Higher staff treats lower staff like second class citizens is what I wittnessed
Pros
human resources has it together
Cons
older rn's rude.obnoxiouse, management clearly needs a wake up call on how to treat people
This job is a great place because you stay busy!
Environmental Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Nyack, NYAugust 15, 2012
This company requires a lot of hard work and the individual has to be willing and able to work hard and quickly under pressure. I learned to work quickly but sanitize things carefully.
My co-workers were friendly and worked hard as well.
The hardest part of the job was when your occupied cleaning a room and you are being paged to clean another. The most enjoyable part of my job was being appreciated for cleaning to the best of my ability and knowing a sick person would need that room. I would clean that room as if it were my own.
Pros
can take peaceful breaks
Cons
favoritism, discrimination.
It's like anywhere else
Patient Access Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Nyack, NYSeptember 28, 2013
They talk a good game. You go to orientation and they dazzle you with their talk of their culture and patient centric care. In the day to day though, management doesn't follow through with the necessaries to accomplish patient centered care or even efficient and consistent levels of care. It's good for your resume, the money is good, the benefits are great. This isn't a good place to build a career because promotions and raises/bonuses are rare even for those people who go way above and beyond. It's not a bad place to work, but don't let them raise your expectations in the beginning because it's a fairy tale.
Pros
great for resume
Cons
poor management
A pleasure to work at Nyack Hospital
Patient Transport Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nyack, NYJuly 18, 2013
I worked at Nyack Hospital for 23 years, and working there was like being around family. I liked working with my staff, teaching them and learning from them whether or not it was job related. In the 23 years I worked at Nyack hospital I learned how not to judge people, everyone has a story. The hardest part of the job was managing a department on certain days, when I was understaffed, but I learned how to get creative, and I had a great participating staff. I learned how to be a strong manager by always communicating, and always listening to other peoples needs. I was fortunate enough to work with may great administrators in the 23 years that I worked at Nyack Hospital.
productive and rewarding workplace
Certified Central Sterile Technician (Current Employee) –  Nyack, NYNovember 22, 2013
A typical work day may vary depending on the number of surgeries, I have obtained my skill set by on the job training, I have learned patients safety comes first when pro forming my job duties, and you need great communicative skills to be productive and efficient. My co-workers are like my family, we all work well as a team. The most enjoyable part of the job is when management thanks staff for there hard work and dedication.
Pros
excellent benefits, family oriented hospital
Stepping stone can not stay for the long hall
Supervision (Former Employee) –  Nyack, NYOctober 2, 2013
NO Communication at all between upper management and lower management and the staff.

Management is extremely clicky and if you do not fit in to that click or brown nose they will not except you and turn the cold shoulder to you. Extremely unprofessional, the worse is they are all smiling to your face but behind your back watch out.

They lie and do things to better there outcomes rather than thinking of the big picture
Pros
great benefits
Cons
horrible management
Poor management
Administration (Former Employee) –  Nyack, NYSeptember 3, 2015
The hospital management doesn't care about the employees. They only care that you show up, there is no training or collaboration. Management just wants to improve their reputation but they will not purchase the tools/resources that the staff need to do their jobs properly.
They look for excuses to blame employees for their mis-management. There is a lot of back biting in the office areas.
I can't speak for the nurses or doctors as I worked in administration.
Parking is also frustrating.
Pros
Cons
treatment of employees
I was born to nurse
Staff Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Nyack NYJune 22, 2014
Working in the healthcare system one cannot help but feel a great sense of reward and accomplishment while caring and providing for all race,gender,economic background from the very young to the old.
Helping people to me is a calling not a profession.
Pros
working with smart, great character, caring, giving and selfless co-workers
Cons
short staffing impedes great care
busy community hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nyack, NYJuly 3, 2013
Extremely busy with big focus on time management and moving patients in and out fast - very concerned with pressganey reports. Staff works as a team very well - Management is very demanding and nursing has little voice - roving triage with a 30min guarrentee to be seen - big pressure from mds to make the time -
Pros
team work great - overtime available
Cons
pressure to move patients is great sometimes over pt care
nice team work environment
Clinical Nurse Specialist IV Therapy (Current Employee) –  Nyack, NYMarch 11, 2015
Educated and initiated staff regarding policy. reduction in clabsi rate to 0% for 2014. Introduced 3CG technology to organization and trained all the appropriate nursing staff. Worked collaboratively with various disciplines for positive changes. Taught monthly at orientation for new hires. Assisted with hypothermia protocol initiation.
Pros
family environment
Cons
lak of staff and resources
HArdest part of the job was to see patients pass away
Patient Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Nyack, NYJuly 27, 2012
A day in Nyack Hospital can be fun. There are many advantages to working there such as the union, the benefits and the compensation is not too bad. On the other side many of the RN's are very lazy and do not want to put in the work.
Pros
the benefits and the job itself
Cons
the nurses are very lazy
small community hospital
Director of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Nyack, NYApril 10, 2014
Hired as a consultant to prepare for successful Joint Comission visit in June 2013.
Pros
excellent work enviroment for coaching and mentoring professional staff., cno very pro active with professional development, clinical outcomes and staff satisfaction.
Cons
small community hospital, struggling with fiances and demands to meet patient care needs.
Caregiver
PCA (nurse assistant) (Former Employee) –  Nyack, NYMay 6, 2014
Attending to patients needs.
I learned many things from my charges. I had no problems with my co-workers. They were all angels. The hardest part of the job for me was trying to lift someone into a chair. The rewarding part of the job was when my patients would compliment me.
Disorganized management
Registered Nurse, BSN (Former Employee) –  Nyack, NYNovember 20, 2014
Nyack Hospital is about 300 bed unit that is in constant renovation with every aspect of acute medical care. Always preaches for the good of the patient but never gives. Medical Staff are always restricted and lacks equipment. Disorganized management.
community hospital
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Nyack, NYSeptember 3, 2012
It was difficult to work without adequate supplies. Staff was great but management placed a lot of emphasis on quanity rather than quality.
Pros
no communte into nyc
Cons
it was difficult to feel good about not addressing all the needs of patients