NYC Administration for Children's Services Employee Reviews

Signing away your life, virtually.
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2017
very long hours, salary not commensurate with time and job activity impressed upon you, organized chaos within office, very cynical and pessimistic atmosphere, low worker morale, feigned support from management, heavy caseloads, high accountability placed on employees.
Pros
the opportunity to make an impact on a family/client served, stable income
Cons
you sign your life, feedom, and emotional health away for a humble salary
Grateful to serve the public.
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2017
I enjoyed working at ACS and would recommend it anyone. There are lots of job opportunities and the qualifications are a plus. The benefits are great.
Pros
Union coverage
Cons
Can be stressful.
Working Here Was Great
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2017
Working here was amazing. It was a temp job and I did a well enough job where they kept me an additional three months. I learned a lot about working in the office. It was great.
Tough Job
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 3, 2017
This is a very tough job and you will definitely need to be mentally prepared. Yes there is some good where you can go in and potentially help families for the greater good, but the stress load does not compensate for this.
Very stressful
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 8, 2017
Very stressful. Large turnover rate, never paid overtime on time. Constant overtime, almost everyday of the week, into the early morning hours. Given cases from employees who left plus your own.
Pros
Good pay & comp time
Poductive and Calm
Assistant community coordinator (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 7, 2017
A typical day at work for me is pretty productive and easy going. I learn about the requirements needed to become a foster parent and how to give direct information to those who need it. I manage my own desk where I provide over the phone costumer service and use a desk top to type up reports given to me by my co-workers. Here at my job the work setting is a traditional clerical work setting. the hardest part of my job is dealing with upset parents/adults, besides that my job is pretty simple and I work well. To conclude the most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help people, working along side my co-workers.
Pros
my own desk, supplies, nice co-workers
Cons
No food
This job is a stepping stone to open more doors to better opportunities
Juvenile Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2017
This job is more for a correctional officer. It requires individual to restrain youth and this job is based more on practice than policy. Its stressful.
Needs alot of luck to survive.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYMay 3, 2017
Big titles for little people. Typical govt bureaucracy that promotes incompetence and once in awhile drops a bone. As a supervisor told me, no rhyme or reason for their actions.
Pros
As arbitrary as it goes.
Cons
As arbitrary as it goes.
A lot of work
Clerical Associate IV (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2017
Be prepared for a fast-paced environment. There is a lot to learn about Juvenile Justice and this job was where I found a lot of experience. If you are looking for advancement, it is important to network and take tests.
Working with youth in detention
Juvenile Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2017
This role requires a enthusiastic individual who enjoys working with making a difference in lives of youth. Changing the lives of inner city youth NY
Pros
Making a positive difference in the lives of youth
Cons
Needs more structure and support
An agency that lacks thr man power and supports to keep children safe
CPS Investigator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2017
In Acs workforce is down. 30% to 50 % of the staff has been retained to manage cases.Before the high profile deaths workers received approximately 4 to 6 cases per month now they are receiving 9 to 12 cases which is double to triple that amount. It is very common for workers to have emotional break downs crying, leaving and going out on leave.

The work load is tremendous. It includes receiving an investigation making decisions on how to keep children safe, contacting community members for information, going to court , holding meetings, handling crisis situations until up to 4 a.m. and 5 a.m. and keeping documentation up to date.

There are a high number of expectations and because of the low number of workers and constant competing expectations cases can not be effectively managed.

It's a really terrible place to work.
Pros
Supporting families in need
Cons
10 to 12 hour days, combative work culture, competing work tasks, unsafe situations with no support.
Great place for advancement
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 31, 2017
Stressful at times but overall good experience. You gain a vast amount of experience in child welfare and ny state laws on child abuse. You are required to work lengthy hours which can be a downfall.
very busy work
CPS Investigator II (Current Employee) –  NYC, NYJanuary 11, 2017
a typical day entails Investigating child abuse and neglect cases
Conduct bi-weekly home visits to assess the safety of children’s home environment
Conduct school visits to obtain children’s academic records and assess children’s academic needs
documenting progress notes
Very Rewarding
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 4, 2017
Great experience and wonderful staff. The experience that you will get will be priceless and you will come into contact with families from all walks of life.
Pros
Great Experiece
Cons
Long Work Hours
strenuous and overworked
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 17, 2016
Overworked almost every day and in dangerous neighborhood by yourself with no protection. Management and supervisors do not provide the support that is needed but yet emphasis on it.
depressing and low morale
Child Welfare Support Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2016
Very negative atmosphere. Leaders on top manage from the top down. There is a separation of the haves and the haves not. Only people that are "liked" are promoted. Miserable people.
Very demanding job, however, can be fulfilling
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2015
A typical day at NYC Administration for Children's Services is busy. There are phone calls that need to be made in regards to investigation, clients, and other individuals in the community. There is a lot of documentation in regards to the cases you are investigating. Then you may receive a case to investigate an allegation of child abuse which may be simple and you finish your day after receiving the case which is usually in the afternoon around 3 PM. However, if the child is in imminent danger, then you may not get home until 4 AM. I learned that it takes a special individual to work at ACS. It has to be someone who is efficient, organized, and able to set limits and boundaries between themselves, management, and the clients. The type of coworkers you have depend on the site, however, if you have a site that is committed to the work; you will have great coworkers. The hardest part of the job is most likely removing the children and the trauma that everyone in that process including yourself goes through. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping a family that just needed some support.
Pros
One can earn a good income with all the overtime, also if you are a caring person it feels good to help people who are in need.
Cons
Too much work, can be overwhelming, some families could be cyclical.
Stressful environment that will test you mentally and physically
(ACS) Juvenile Counselor (Former Employee) –  bronx nyMay 18, 2015
ACS is a decent place to work. You will make money given the ample amount of overtime given, and the benefits is top notch. But the work environment itself is taxing to you and your body.
Productive and fun workplace
Justice Studies Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 1, 2015
What I learned out of this internship was how the juvenile justice system works. It is the youths last chance to get things right. Here we make sure we steer these youth into the right path of adulthood, get them to go to school, work and to decrease the rate of recidivism for youth. This was a healthy and productive environment. Everyone worked well with each other and helped each other with these cases. For my position I really didn't find anything challenging for me. The division I worked in we all worked together. I enjoyed going to group meetings where we talked about our progress and what areas needed improvement.
Not what one would expect
Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2015
Working for this agency brings pure sadness to any dedicated and passionate individual. especially if all that you do, are for the children(s) care, progress, well-being, nurture and life. the ACS staff (a good 70 percent) really don't care about their jobs, they are just their for the pay. many are their for the perks. some of the DC, and assit. commissioners really don't care about the city kids, they are 2 faced hypocrites. and their subordinates are all boot shoe licking incompetence aides that were hired through a preference of friendship or some beneficial task. This is what I have learned in the years being here and it kills me everyday, when I try to voice my opinion, but they fall on deaf ears.
Pros
its a NYC agency
Cons
everyone hates this agency in all aspects of its existence