NYC Administration for Children's Services Employee Reviews

An agency that lacks thr man power and supports to keep children safe
CPS Investigator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2017
In Acs workforce is down. 30% to 50 % of the staff has been retained to manage cases.Before the high profile deaths workers received approximately 4 to 6 cases per month now they are receiving 9 to 12 cases which is double to triple that amount. It is very common for workers to have emotional break downs crying, leaving and going out on leave.

The work load is tremendous. It includes receiving an investigation making decisions on how to keep children safe, contacting community members for information, going to court , holding meetings, handling crisis situations until up to 4 a.m. and 5 a.m. and keeping documentation up to date.

There are a high number of expectations and because of the low number of workers and constant competing expectations cases can not be effectively managed.

It's a really terrible place to work.
Pros
Supporting families in need
Cons
10 to 12 hour days, combative work culture, competing work tasks, unsafe situations with no support.
very busy work
CPS Investigator II (Current Employee) –  NYC, NYJanuary 11, 2017
a typical day entails Investigating child abuse and neglect cases
Conduct bi-weekly home visits to assess the safety of children’s home environment
Conduct school visits to obtain children’s academic records and assess children’s academic needs
documenting progress notes
Very Rewarding
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 4, 2017
Great experience and wonderful staff. The experience that you will get will be priceless and you will come into contact with families from all walks of life.
Pros
Great Experiece
Cons
Long Work Hours
strenuous and overworked
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 17, 2016
Overworked almost every day and in dangerous neighborhood by yourself with no protection. Management and supervisors do not provide the support that is needed but yet emphasis on it.
depressing and low morale
Child Welfare Support Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2016
Very negative atmosphere. Leaders on top manage from the top down. There is a separation of the haves and the haves not. Only people that are "liked" are promoted. Miserable people.
Very demanding job, however, can be fulfilling
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2015
A typical day at NYC Administration for Children's Services is busy. There are phone calls that need to be made in regards to investigation, clients, and other individuals in the community. There is a lot of documentation in regards to the cases you are investigating. Then you may receive a case to investigate an allegation of child abuse which may be simple and you finish your day after receiving the case which is usually in the afternoon around 3 PM. However, if the child is in imminent danger, then you may not get home until 4 AM. I learned that it takes a special individual to work at ACS. It has to be someone who is efficient, organized, and able to set limits and boundaries between themselves, management, and the clients. The type of coworkers you have depend on the site, however, if you have a site that is committed to the work; you will have great coworkers. The hardest part of the job is most likely removing the children and the trauma that everyone in that process including yourself goes through. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping a family that just needed some support.
Pros
One can earn a good income with all the overtime, also if you are a caring person it feels good to help people who are in need.
Cons
Too much work, can be overwhelming, some families could be cyclical.
Stressful environment that will test you mentally and physically
(ACS) Juvenile Counselor (Former Employee) –  bronx nyMay 18, 2015
ACS is a decent place to work. You will make money given the ample amount of overtime given, and the benefits is top notch. But the work environment itself is taxing to you and your body.
Productive and fun workplace
Justice Studies Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 1, 2015
What I learned out of this internship was how the juvenile justice system works. It is the youths last chance to get things right. Here we make sure we steer these youth into the right path of adulthood, get them to go to school, work and to decrease the rate of recidivism for youth. This was a healthy and productive environment. Everyone worked well with each other and helped each other with these cases. For my position I really didn't find anything challenging for me. The division I worked in we all worked together. I enjoyed going to group meetings where we talked about our progress and what areas needed improvement.
Rewarding and life changing work
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  New YorkJanuary 9, 2015
My time with the Administration for Children's Services was the most rewarding experience of my life. The work could be overwhelming to most but you find the energy to get it done once you think of who is depending on you.
Great way to help those in need
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 6, 2015
- phone calls to doctor's lawyers, teachers, etc.
- home visits
- supervision with supervisor
- court attendance
Pros
Learning experience and makes you learn how to multitask
Cons
Not being able to help all of the families as best as possible
Stressful but rewarding
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  BrooklynOctober 20, 2014
Loved my unit and my sup I and II. It was the hardest job I've ever taken but many learning opportunities.
Rewarding Position
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  BrooklynSeptember 25, 2014
This position will prepare you for any field in child welfare
A very stressful and chaotic environment because there is a lot to accomplish in the day. There are other times when we celebrate the holidays.
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 3, 2014
A typical day at work is either making field visits, going to court or in the office updating the progress notes or making reports for courts. We also do grocery shopping for the clients. We also attend conferences with clients and also conferences scheduled by management. It was a great experience working with the agency. However, the field visits were the hardest part of the job since we go into all neighborhood alone. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help the clients who wanted the help.
Highly stressful work environment that was unpredictable.
Title- Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 3, 2014
NYC Administration for Children's Services is a fascinating place to work in Manhattan. A typical day revolved around writing case notes, going to Family court, and doing case notes. I learned how to handle stress and time management. Supervision is apathetic. My co-workers "burned-out" and worked as dysfunctional family. Hardest part of job was carrying a large case load. The most enjoyable part of job were crazy home visit stories co-workers told.
Pros
Office atmosphere was never dull.
Cons
Constantly changing work rules due to reported child abuses.
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 15, 2014
A typical work day constitutes; field visits to either, homes, hospitals or schools and/or making appearances in court if necessary. From doing this I have learned how to assess safety and furture risk. My supervisory team and co-workers are supportive and all assist each other as needed. I enjoy the job because I get to assist families with finding the appropriate services that suit their needs.
Crisis management
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2014
• Investigating allegations of abuse, neglect, and maltreatment to monitor a caseload of 15+ cases a month.
• Assessing homes for safety and risk; interviewing mandated reporters, children, and parents regarding abuse, neglect, or maltreatment.
• Providing safe and secure foster care homes for removed children.
• Providing clients with intensive based preventive care services.
• Filing neglect and abuse petitions in the Five Boroughs of NYC Family Courts.
• Representing cases in court, on the behalf of the ACS Commissioner.
• Training new staff and colleagues on placement policies, regulations, crisis management, and guidelines.
• Guiding emergency responders to proper procedures when involving children.
Pros
Flexible Holiday Schedule & Networking
Cons
The nature of the job is heart breaking.
Difficult Job but needed for childrens safety
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 25, 2013
Working at ACS was hard. On a daily basis you could receive anywhere from 2 to 3 investigation reports of alleged abuse. Sometimes a family you were already servicing would receive another report (probably because someone was upset with them). You had to go into people's homes and you never knew exactly what you were walking into. I learned a lot while working at ACS. People just want to be treated as people as and feel as if they should not be judged based on the community they reside in. The hardest part of the job for me was when I had to remove infants from the hospital soon after the mother gave birth. I found that hard because I am a mother too and I always felt as if the mother should have at least got to at least kiss the child before we removed the child from the hospital. The reward for me was being able to save children who were being physically and sexually abused in their home by their biological parents. My coworkers were always supportive and vice versa. Working in that particular field, you require the support of your coworkers especially when you are sent into a community you are not aware of.
Pros
Saving children from abuse, meeting many different people, keeping families together
Cons
Long hours, not enough time for your own family
It was a productive and exciting place to work.
Family Preservationist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2013
each day was a new adventure. I've learn to work with many different people from different back grounds / Mental health/ substance abuse. and parents how had no idea of how to parent. All my co-workers were great and helpful. I think the hardest part was separating children from there families and assuring them that every thing would be alright. I enjoy most about the job was working with people and seeing that I've made a difference in their lives.
Pros
friendly environment
Dangerous environment overwhelming caseload
Child Protective Specialist  (Former Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYJune 29, 2013
Interviewed and counseled children and their parents about allegations on case report. I made court appearances representing the City of New York, wrote court reports discussing the steps that were taken to bring the case to court and continually have court visits until the matter of the case was resolved. I provided necessary services for the family; either mandated by family court, or voluntary agreement
Work with all tpyes of different people
Administrative Intern (Current Employee) –  NEW YORK,NYJune 24, 2013
 Organized paperwork and files in a careful and detail oriented manner.
 Entered information into the time keeping system.
Pros
TIMEING IS GOOD A 9-5
Cons
A LOT OF PAPER WORK

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYC Administration for Children's Services. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3