NYC Administration for Children's Services Employee Reviews in United States

Stressful environment that will test you mentally and physically
(ACS) Juvenile Counselor (Former Employee) –  bronx nyMay 18, 2015
ACS is a decent place to work. You will make money given the ample amount of overtime given, and the benefits is top notch. But the work environment itself is taxing to you and your body.
Productive and fun workplace
Justice Studies Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 1, 2015
What I learned out of this internship was how the juvenile justice system works. It is the youths last chance to get things right. Here we make sure we steer these youth into the right path of adulthood, get them to go to school, work and to decrease the rate of recidivism for youth. This was a healthy and productive environment. Everyone worked well with each other and helped each other with these cases. For my position I really didn't find anything challenging for me. The division I worked in we all worked together. I enjoyed going to group meetings where we talked about our progress and what areas needed improvement.
Rewarding and life changing work
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  New YorkJanuary 9, 2015
My time with the Administration for Children's Services was the most rewarding experience of my life. The work could be overwhelming to most but you find the energy to get it done once you think of who is depending on you.
Great way to help those in need
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 6, 2015
- phone calls to doctor's lawyers, teachers, etc.
- home visits
- supervision with supervisor
- court attendance
Pros
learning experience and makes you learn how to multitask
Cons
not being able to help all of the families as best as possible
Stressful but rewarding
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  BrooklynOctober 20, 2014
Loved my unit and my sup I and II. It was the hardest job I've ever taken but many learning opportunities.
Rewarding Position
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  BrooklynSeptember 25, 2014
This position will prepare you for any field in child welfare
A very stressful and chaotic environment because there is a lot to accomplish in the day. There are other times when we celebrate the holidays.
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 3, 2014
A typical day at work is either making field visits, going to court or in the office updating the progress notes or making reports for courts. We also do grocery shopping for the clients. We also attend conferences with clients and also conferences scheduled by management. It was a great experience working with the agency. However, the field visits were the hardest part of the job since we go into all neighborhood alone. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help the clients who wanted the help.
Highly stressful work environment that was unpredictable.
Title- Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 3, 2014
NYC Administration for Children's Services is a fascinating place to work in Manhattan. A typical day revolved around writing case notes, going to Family court, and doing case notes. I learned how to handle stress and time management. Supervision is apathetic. My co-workers "burned-out" and worked as dysfunctional family. Hardest part of job was carrying a large case load. The most enjoyable part of job were crazy home visit stories co-workers told.
Pros
office atmosphere was never dull.
Cons
constantly changing work rules due to reported child abuses.
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 15, 2014
A typical work day constitutes; field visits to either, homes, hospitals or schools and/or making appearances in court if necessary. From doing this I have learned how to assess safety and furture risk. My supervisory team and co-workers are supportive and all assist each other as needed. I enjoy the job because I get to assist families with finding the appropriate services that suit their needs.
Crisis management
Child Protective Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2014
• Investigating allegations of abuse, neglect, and maltreatment to monitor a caseload of 15+ cases a month.
• Assessing homes for safety and risk; interviewing mandated reporters, children, and parents regarding abuse, neglect, or maltreatment.
• Providing safe and secure foster care homes for removed children.
• Providing clients with intensive based preventive care services.
• Filing neglect and abuse petitions in the Five Boroughs of NYC Family Courts.
• Representing cases in court, on the behalf of the ACS Commissioner.
• Training new staff and colleagues on placement policies, regulations, crisis management, and guidelines.
• Guiding emergency responders to proper procedures when involving children.
Pros
flexible holiday schedule & networking
Cons
the nature of the job is heart breaking.
Difficult Job but needed for childrens safety
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 25, 2013
Working at ACS was hard. On a daily basis you could receive anywhere from 2 to 3 investigation reports of alleged abuse. Sometimes a family you were already servicing would receive another report (probably because someone was upset with them). You had to go into people's homes and you never knew exactly what you were walking into. I learned a lot while working at ACS. People just want to be treated as people as and feel as if they should not be judged based on the community they reside in. The hardest part of the job for me was when I had to remove infants from the hospital soon after the mother gave birth. I found that hard because I am a mother too and I always felt as if the mother should have at least got to at least kiss the child before we removed the child from the hospital. The reward for me was being able to save children who were being physically and sexually abused in their home by their biological parents. My coworkers were always supportive and vice versa. Working in that particular field, you require the support of your coworkers especially when you are sent into a community you are not aware of.
Pros
saving children from abuse, meeting many different people, keeping families together
Cons
long hours, not enough time for your own family
It was a productive and exciting place to work.
Family Preservationist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2013
each day was a new adventure. I've learn to work with many different people from different back grounds / Mental health/ substance abuse. and parents how had no idea of how to parent. All my co-workers were great and helpful. I think the hardest part was separating children from there families and assuring them that every thing would be alright. I enjoy most about the job was working with people and seeing that I've made a difference in their lives.
Pros
friendly environment
Dangerous environment overwhelming caseload
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYJune 29, 2013
Interviewed and counseled children and their parents about allegations on case report. I made court appearances representing the City of New York, wrote court reports discussing the steps that were taken to bring the case to court and continually have court visits until the matter of the case was resolved. I provided necessary services for the family; either mandated by family court, or voluntary agreement
Work with all tpyes of different people
Administrative Intern (Current Employee) –  NEW YORK,NYJune 24, 2013
 Organized paperwork and files in a careful and detail oriented manner.
 Entered information into the time keeping system.
Pros
timeing is good a 9-5
Cons
a lot of paper work
Good job but highly stressful and lack of understanding from management
Child Protective Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 23, 2013
I would say the agency means well but as a worker you're expected to do the workload of two people and be at 5 places at the same time. I've had lots of great experiences there and met some great people but I've also had horrible experiences that made me just not want to show up anymore.
There is a lack of uniformity at ACS. Some people get lucky and work with great management and some people have horrible management that makes your work life brutal. It all depends on who you're assigned to and it shouldn't be so.
The hardest part of the job is usually dealing with management's unrealistic expectations.
The best part of the job is when you feel that you've made a positive difference in the lives of the families you work with.
The Administration for Children's Services (ACS) is an essential government agency that protects the city's children from abuse and neglect.
Child Protective Specialist (CPS) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2013
The work performed at the Agency is vital and honorable. Additionally, employees are provided with with a very good benefits package and vacation time.

However the Agency has severe management issues and there is generally a very low moral among employees, creating a very poor working atmosphere. Additionally, there is very little opportunity for advancement and financial compensation is poor.
Child and Family Specialist/ Supervisor III (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2013
The financial compensation for the hard work was good. Co-workers are supportive an wonderful.
Great Company
Summer Youth Employee (Former Employee) –  150 William StreetDecember 12, 2012
Great company would love to work here again but this was a seasonal job
NYC Administration for Children's Services is a dynamic agency
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2012
NYC ACS is the agency responsible for providing child protection, permanency, juvenile justice, child care and early education services to NYC's children and families. ACS works with over 100,000 families every year and contracts with over 50 agencies for preventive and foster care services. The work is dynamic and NYC offers many resources and diverse experiences that further my experience.
Pros
diverse services and families, utilizing evidence informed models
Busy office
Juvenile Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 15, 2012
A typical day at work involves answering numerous inquires; very heavy phones; Data entry on 5 database; Tracking the census throughout the day.

I learned to ensure all court papers are accurate and all Judge orders are satified.

As a liaison to the Commissioners and Managers, we are to inform them of imperative issues; court orders, emergencies, medical/mental health issues, etc .I take incident reports and enter the reports in system and notify appropropiate parties, if critical.

I share the workload with one another staff; rotate assignments day by day and assist in special projects for Administration.

The hardest part of the job is working a double shift ; it is very tiring being you have to report back to your shift the very next day on time.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing all the work is completed for the day and you are relieved to go home.
benefits
Cons
double shifts