NYC BOARD OF EDUCATION

NYC BOARD OF EDUCATION Employer Reviews

A very productive work at The Board of Education
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: a very productive place to work.
Cons: i work for a temp that got me the job a the board of education. but they was no room to hire permit.
It was very good place to work at, to get know a lot about the Education system.
productive and positive
Special Education Teacher's Assistant/ Crisis Dean (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: pride of helping others
This job was very rewarding. It was encouraging to work with troubled youth and make a difference in their lives. Every day was an adventure
Impacting knowledge
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 23, 2014
Pros: impacting knowledge
Cons: unrully behaviors by some students affect learning environment
A typical work day in a classroom setting is hectic.Classroom management cuts into instructional times.

Patience,some flexibility and firmness is key factor in creating a successful classroom environment in my experience.

Classroom management determines my success in the classroom.

My fellow teachers are very cooperative.We support and encourage each others to get through challenges, faced on daily basis.

Impacting knowledge is gratifying
Great opportunities to work with children, and foster relationships with stakeholders vested in the student's educational career.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 18, 2014
Almost 135,000 people work full-time in New York City's public school system, with the shared mission of providing our 1.1 million students with an education that gives them the tools to thrive in college, in careers, and as active members of their communities.
The New York City Board of Education an excellent entity to be employed by.
Dean of Students (Former Employee), Bronx, NYSeptember 3, 2014
A typical day was managing and maintaining control in the school environment among students. The most excellent enjoyable part was working in the NYC Board of Education.
Productive and Fun while eating some great food.
Committee Member (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 20, 2014
I learn how to co-operate with my peers to accomplish one main goal. I learn that i like working by myself but i also having great communication and other skills to work well in a group environment.
productive and good place to learn
Asst. Paraprofessional (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJuly 14, 2014
Helping the students with their work and trips, great place to your ideas with asst. principals and teachers. Great place to send your children to learn new things. When My student graduate, sharing time with my student.
Para-Professional/ Teachers Helper
TEACHER'S HELPER (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 28, 2014
Pros: helping to make a difference. helping improve social skills. working with children in need
I worked with children with Disabilities in three different schools in Brooklyn, Ny. I Achieved my Associates in Communications, Sciences, and Disorders, and minored in Psychology, I as well achieved a Bachelor's Degree for Speech Language Pathology , which therefore, helped me work individually with each child and their special needs and disabilitiesl
Para-Professional
TEACHER'S HELPER (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 27, 2014
Pros: i ejoy working with children, helping with any of their needs, which was an amazing achievable feeling.
I worked with children who have different disabilities. I worked as a Temp Para-Professional, due to also working at my other Job; Zig Zag Inc.as a Sales Manager. While i was also Attending College! I received my Associates in Psychology, and my Bachelor's Degree in Adelphi University. Therefore i wasn't a full Teachers Helper. I worked with different children, mostly one on one, helping with any and all of the qualified needs the presented me with. I enjoyed working for the Board Of Education, In particular the mai school P.S325Director/ Principle before i left had suggested that I would have a job waiting if i wanted after Graduating with my Speech Pathology Degree where i will soon attend the Master's Degree Program where i will be issued my license to be a Professional Speech Pathologist/Psychologist.
Great, but stressful.
Tutor and assist children individually (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 9, 2014
It was a challenge to work here. I was given the opportunity to be promoted two weeks after my start date, but I did not feel ready. The stress of handling the daily responsibilities affected my health.
very exicted and professional environment
subtitute paraprofessional (Former Employee), brooklyn, NYMay 15, 2014
Pros: you get called very often.
Cons: if you are a subtitute paraprofessional you do not get benefits but you get paid good.
a typical day at work is full of surprises and curiosity. its a fun job. very professional and busy because you have to pay attention to the children. I don't think there's a hard part to this job if you like working with children. I loved this job and it is something I would like to do as a profession.
Professional
Teacher Assistant- K6 classes (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: meeting new people daily sharing knowledge
This is the professional and community foundation development for the future job seekers. The environment is very detail oriented and co workers are working towards the same goal of the company to enlighten and teach young minds. I enjoyed being a part of the job force and to do a meaningful fulfilling job.
At times there are competitions between teachers and students in soccer and basket ball
Teacher of Science (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: on special occasions staff is provided with free meals and some times supplies.
Cons: most days work continues hours after dismissal and way in the evenings.
As you sign in 15 minutes before eight it is a bustling time to get the room prepared before the first lesson. Most of the time they are early arrivals( students) who greet you with smiles and expectation. Others began their day early playing in the corridors. Five periods are punctuated with one lunch and one prep period each of one hour. On Monday's the day is concluded with a general staff meeting to set the tone for the week, At times during the week various groups meet for professional development on topics areas needed and recommended by admin. Management is quite unfriendly and does not promote unity in practice. Supervision seem mainly to find fault rather than supportive action. Co-workers are divided into little clicks and groups socialize or share lunch in their own location. Most are very formal as greetings are made while others simply just ignore another's presence. The hardest part of the job is to please administration, by honoring their non flexible program. The poor ways in dealing with disciplining of students undermine the authority of teachers. The most enjoyable part of the day is to have a session with students who are fired up and show interest with challenging questions and discussions
staff and children were a pleasure to see everyday
PreK-4th Grade Teacher (Former Employee), Bronx, NYOctober 27, 2013
Pros: children learned from various ways and always were eager to know more.
Cons: politics and new standards made it difficult to make lessons interesting to the children.
going to work was never a chore, always a pleasure. The mornings were always spent with the teachers in the grade discussing ways to prepare lessons on the curriculum. Interesting ideas were shared and no jealousy was ever displayed.
retirement is nothing
handyman/forman (Former Employee), flushing nyOctober 23, 2013
did repairs on building inside and out , and supervise others on cleaning and snow remove.
Helping to education those children of tomorrow
Paraprofessional (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 5, 2013
Pros: to be able to work at different school and different ages of children
Cons: no cons
A typical work days starts with outlining lesson plan,. Settle disputes, check home work, being able to restrain one self to know when to stop and reprimand or continue teaching..

Hardest being a mother, confidant, educator, referee and friend to students and understanding that the title "special head" is more political and the actual ability of these children.
Music Education Is Hard Work but has it's rewards
Music Teacher (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 2, 2013
Pros: performing music with students
Cons: administrators with little or no guidelines
A variety of music classes to teach with a lot of students willing to learn .The problems were multiplied as administrators changed and there were no state or federal guide lines to use. Hours were long but worthwhile. Many supportive coworkers and colleagues in NYC.
Nice Place
Cleaner / Fireman (Current Employee), new yorkSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: 8hr days
Cons: competive
Great starting point. two bueacratic. Learned the daily life of a teacher.Management skill are backwards.Met nice people but some are rude. The job is diffucult due to all the budget cuts the best part is going home.
productive
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 7, 2013
Serves as an integral member of the maintenance team where I perform the daily maintenance of classroom, lunchroom, hallways and other communal areas throughout the school building.

In addition, assists building superintendant on special projects such as but not limited to assembly of office and classroom furniture, safe removal of harmful materials from school building, replacing light fixtures, painting etc.

In the occurrence of inclement weather responsible for maintaining and clearing the surrounding areas of the property to ensure the safety of students, faculty and parents.

Well versed in fire and other safety regulations and able to handle emergency situations which is often put to the test in public school settings
ok place to work
Senior Lunch Helper (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 29, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: hours
usually shorts days,
learned how to handle food,
managers were overworked,most did not do there jobs well
co/workers were cool for the most part
the hardest thing was dealing with the red tape and not having enough time to do the job that were assigned
an i enjoyed most was quitting time

1 2 3