NYC Department of Education

NYC Department of Education United States Employee Reviews

educational workplace
TA (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 16, 2015
working with children, ensuring that i am pushing them to their utmost educational ability

Working alongside teachers who are knowledgeable , love what they do and care about their students success
Different experience everyday
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 5, 2015
Pros: Good pay rate
Cons: No routine
I love how every day you are in a different classroom, learning more about different students and their culture. Being a substitute teacher, I have learned to teach an entire lesson with little time to prepare. It is a fun experience, but challenging to say the least.
Can be great or can be challenging
Speech Language Pathologist, TSSLD (Current Employee), Bayside, NYMarch 26, 2015
The NYC DOE can be a great place or challenging depending on who your supervisors are. If you work hard and are open to everyone you will do fine.
New York City Department of Education is a big mess.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 20, 2015
At the school level our priorities are not student based. Instead, our efforts focus on pleasing adults and creating data that shows growth.
Busy Help desk with a good mix of L1, L2 and L3 Technicians.
Help Desk Technician( Level 3) (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYMarch 12, 2015
Pros: can learn a great deal about different ms applications
Cons: work as consultant never will be considered for the doe civil service union
In one day I can answer and fix 60-100 calls depending on the degree of fix. We use RA or Remote desktop depending where the fix will take place for example in the field (% NYC boros) or in the main building.
Co-workers are ok, some work, others like myself work all day long, and fix anything if I do not know I will do research until I find the solution.
The managers have no authority, they sit behind their computers and will not lead by example, most are given the position without earning it, other than that the directors are fine.
The hardest part of the job is time management for me at least, my mind is always on fixing the issue then do on to the next one.
The whole day is enjoyable, I truly like the position of L3 Technician , I enjoy helping the new techs out.
You have to love children and parents to work here...
Parent Coordinator/Webmaster/Data (Current Employee), Astoria, NYMarch 12, 2015
Pros: a lot of time off. good benefits. sense of fulfillment.
Cons: low salary. no growth potential.
There's no such thing as a typical day at work when you work in a school. Some days are pretty smooth and others not that much.

I have learned to diffuse situations, listen in a non-judgmental manner, how to handle difficult situations without losing my cool. I have became pretty assertive and a good presenter and public speaker provided that I know what I'm talking about.

Management (school administrators) are extremely supportive at my job.

My co-workers are amazing hard working people with diverse personalities and cultures and I love this.

The hardest part of my job is not being appreciated at times.

The most enjoyable part of my job is making a difference every single day.
Consistent job placement
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Queens, NYMarch 3, 2015
Working with children and making a difference is a rewarding opportunity. Although it is a substitute/per-diem position, many vacancies are available.
Productive work place/ seasonal
P311 Pre-k Call Center Representative (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 24, 2015
great place to work. hours in the summer were late. good people great supervisors. The pay was very good. I would work for them again.
Productive and engaging.
Parent Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 23, 2015
It was very exciting to work with parents and the students. I enjoyed them tremendously. The hardest part was getting more parents interested in their child's education. So, I became creative and involved their children in the process and then the parents began to participate.
A great place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: job security, great health insurance, salary increases, discount on cell phones
A typical day at work would be for me to make sure my boss' out box was empty. After that I would check her calendar and print it out for her. Then I would check to see if there was anything my boss needed. I answered all the phones for a staff of 30 and re-directed the calls to all staff members. Working at the Department of Education (DOE) I learned all of my word processing and spreadsheet skills. I also learned how to anticipate my boss' needs. I learned how to work and get along with many different personalities which helped me a great deal when I became a teacher. I worked for the Deputy Director for 19 years before she retired. The atmosphere was pleasant as though we were a family. The staff I worked with were very hard working professionals that monitored budgets for the thousands of schools in New York City. I took care of their administrative needs such as correspondence to the 32 school districts. I also maintained their files and their timekeeping records. One of my strengths is that I worked well under pressure when there were deadlines that had to be met, which was probably the most difficult part of the job. I enjoyed my position at the Department of Education. I would still work there if I hadn't pursued my career as an Elementary School Teacher. The most enjoyable part of my position was to tackle a challenging task such as a difficult spreadsheet. Another enjoyable part of my position was helping individuals that would call and express frustration with a problem with the DOE, My job was to help them by redirecting them to the person or Office that could solve their problem. Most of all I enjoyed keeping my boss organized and to make her job easier as a result.
Best internship ever
Desktop support Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 16, 2015
This was by far the best internship ever. As an intern, I was responsible for in house tech support of local NYC public schools. The environment was mixed with fast paced and slow days and co workers were very friendly. It was a learning experience while seeing schools from a teacher point of view. Would have loved to go full time.
Greater leadership skill, and excellent instructions using the gradual release method of instruction.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), P.S.135January 29, 2015
I enjoy working as a substitute teacher, because it allows me to work with children from a diverse backgrounds. It also allows me to get a good understanding of what is really takes to be an effective teacher, one that has great classroom management. Being a Substitute teacher as well as a Paraprofessional I got the opportunity to learn more about the different learning styles of students, as well as the different disabilities that children have. In addition I learn how to create lessons that include differentiation instruction that are geared to meet the learning needs of the children in the classroom.
Fast paced work environment in an urban school.
Procurement Secretary (Current Employee), Staten Island, NYJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: summer's off
Cons: extremely high phone volume
Strengthened my multi-tasking and organizational skills. Staff becomes like family. Need to be able to handle parents who walk in, phones ringing, deadlines, teachers requests, and administrative requests all while staying on top of your work and meeting required deadlines. Best part of the job are the kids.
Great learning environment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: working with kids
Cons: not permanent
A day of work would consist of the following tasks: Write lesson plans, teach technology to elementary students and teachers, assist teachers with the implementation of technology usage in the classroom, manage all technological equipment distribution and usage.

I learned how to establish a classroom environment and how to maintain effective classroom management.
Good people doing good work
Analyst (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 10, 2015
I enjoy the relatively relaxed, easy going, and collegial environment of our office. There are some definite peaks, when work is busy and stressful, but there are also quieter times during the year. It is hard, but rewarding, work.
Meaningful Parent Involvement, Learning and Educational Egagement
PARENT COORDINATOR (COMMUNITY ASSOCIATE) (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: employment, professional development, trainings, healthcare, environment
Cons: n/a
Allows me to utilize my skills in an educational setting where Parent Involvement, Learning and Educational Engagement is a meaningful experience every parent and child. It also allows me to be resourceful to both the school building and the community, teachers, co-workers as a whole on many levels. The most enjoyable part of my job is being of service to others, event planning and engaging the community; as the hardest part is lack of family involvement and getting families to be engaged and involved.
busy work
Network Field Technician (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 3, 2015
DOE was the starting point and had a lot to offer me in developing my skills.
Very enjoyable environment with much to do to keep anyone well occupied
Clerk (Current Employee), New york, New YorkDecember 18, 2014
Pros: great benefits and many holidays for recreation and down time.
I Love working with the Department of Education. It is very rewarding knowing that I am instumental in the life of so many young people that are trying to get an education with varying challenges.
A job.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Queens, NYDecember 15, 2014
Pros: the pay was substantial, there was grey satisfaction in helping a parent resolve an issue for a student.
Cons: no benefits, there five years and no board position offered, no recognition at all.
I learned that the DOE has a set culture that no one individual will change to what it should be. An office full of nepotism favoritism. Never worked in an environment more manipulated and influenced by who you know. Lasted about 5 years there because the work I did was a passion and the fact that our work directly affected children made it all worth while.
love this job
Substitute Paraprofessional (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 8, 2014
This job is a great job in which it pays well. The staff are very nice and helpful, and it is a great work environment. I enjoy working with the children, and helping then when needed. The part of enjoy the most is building a relationship with the kids.

1 2 3 4 5

About NYC Department of Education

University comes from Latin for "the whole" and that's what they mean by The University of the State of New York (USNY). The agency – Read more

NYC Department of Education Salaries