NYC Department of Education

NYC Department of Education Employer Reviews

Great experience
Substitute Paraprofessional (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 14, 2014
Pros: impacting the lives of our youth.
Changing the world, 1 kid at a time. One of a kind experience.
An honest job
Custodial Staff Member (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYOctober 11, 2014
Excellent hours and benefits. Plenty of overtime. I only left this position to attain one in my field of study.
Professional environment
Procurement Analyst (Current Employee), Brooklyn, New YorkSeptember 8, 2014
The NYC DOE is a Good Resume Builder for all college graduates.
Working with Diverse Populations
Sub-ParaProfessional (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: early hours, traveling, meeting diverse populations.
Cons: no cons!
As a subparaprofessional there was a lot of diversification in duties in responsibilities.
IT NOT WHAT THEY SELL YOU
SUB PARAPROFESSIONAL (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 31, 2014
THE PAY IS HORRIBLE AND SO IS THE STAFF THAT IS SUPPOSED TO HELP YOU !!!
Learning Experience
Substitute Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), School District 10 & 11July 22, 2014
I enjoy working with children in a one on one and class setting.
It has helped me to grow as a person and has taught me patience.
provided clean enviroment
Cleaner (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 15, 2014
The purpose to this job was providing a clean enviroment for students and staff to teach.
Productive environment, great staff
Substitute Paraprofessional (Former Employee), Brooklyn, New YorkJuly 8, 2014
Pros: free lunches, warm loving environment
Cons: children with special needs can be very hyper active
Working for the NYC DOE was a great experience. Working with children that have disabilities can be a real challenge yet, you learn to love them as your own through assiting with their needs everyday.
Great job
Paraprofessional (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJuly 6, 2014
Pros: benefits, parking, off holidays and summers
Cons: pay
Been working there for over 15 years, it is worth everyday to assist with childrens development
friendly, professional environment,
Custodial Cleaner (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJuly 3, 2014
Pros: get to work alone, not repetitious work, working around children and being influential
Cons: per diem time, very slow advancement, non secure contracts
A typical day would be cleaning as you would in your own home. You will learn to use power tools/equipment. your working alone most of the time, you have to be efficient to do so. management is cool, just do what you are suppose to and you shouldnt have any problems. Fortunately my boss and Co workers are friendly, everyone has bad days, but im a comic – more... relief – less
Temporary job
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Staten Island, NYJune 27, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: quality of the free lunches
City job work enviornment, some people genuinely liked what they did while others went through the motions. Most enjoyable part were the students and the hardest part was finding a parking place for my car in the morning.
life changing career
subtitute paraprofessional (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 27, 2014
Pros: benefits, vacations
I've grown as a professional, and as a human being while working for the department of education. you will learn so much about yourself and others
Professional family environment, where education for all children is the pinnacle of the educators inititative
Paraprofessional/ Teachers Assistant (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 23, 2014
Pros: being a part of teaching the leaders of tomorrow.
Cons: not being able to reach every student
I have been a teaching assistant for the past nine years, with the New York City Department of Education. In this capacity, I had the opportunity of working with students from grades K through five. Often times, my duties were fulfilled in a special needs setting, as a crisis management teachers assistant. Additionally, I have facilitated two reading – more... programs on my own, as well as Saturday school and after school programs.

I am currently a crisis management paraprofessional for a student who suffers from emotional disturbance. My administrators seem to think I have a niche for working with such children. I find it's one of the most rewarding experiences of being a special educator. This was one of my main reasons for pursuing my M.Ed. in special education. A typical day for me consists of teaching students in a bridge second and third grade class in small group instruction. I also attend lunch and recess with the class. When I am not instructing the students, I am working one on one with them or assisting the teacher with daily activities for the week.

I learn and take away something new everyday. Each one truly teaches one, for such students allow me to understand how to better educate them to the best of their abilities. I've been student teaching for the past eight weeks, and the ability to implement the necessary strategies and skills to special needs students is a challenge that drives me. Being in an environment with advocates for children is another. My co-workers come from all walks of life, and their ability to relate to the students, ameliorate their potential to teach in any capacity.

In order to effectively teach children, it is important to adequately manage and have a hold on their behavior, in order to efficiently deliver instruction, and ensure their understanding of content taught. If there is no management, there will be no learning.

Time and paperwork contributes to the hardest part of the job of a teacher, however; that "Aha!" moment when a students just "gets it" compensates for that. It is the most enjoyable.

I applied for New York State Certification, and it is currently pending. – less
Productive and functional agency
Speeth Therapist (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 11, 2014
RCM is an agency for health care providers. I enjoyed working for the agency.
Thoroughly enjoyed working with the children!
Educational Associate (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 7, 2014
Pros: paid holidays
Cons: too much emphasis on test scores
I enjoyed working for the DOE, but resigned in 2012 due to a medical problem that has since been resolved.
Big and Diverse
Teacher Leader (Former Employee), Queens, NYMay 31, 2014
Pros: dedicated union, rights and job retention.
Cons: always changing
Interesting experience. As mayors and chancellors change, so does the work and the curriculum.
Tough bureaucratic job with unique rewards
Teacher (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 29, 2014
Pros: frequent vacation time, part of sacred institution, benefits, job security
Cons: rigorous work week, high demands, low wages
High school teacher in high-need schools teaching science and lab-based curricula. Spent days advising students, teaching classes, preparing for lessons, grading, and meeting with students and staff. Requires significant hours outside of the work day. Administration does the best they can with what they have. Co-workers are supportive and generally – more... team-players. Sense of common goals and struggles. Hardest part of the job is dealing with the everyday struggles and massive performance expectations with limited resources. Most enjoyable aspect is the look of confidence on your students faces when they succeed and helping them grow as individuals. – less
Very fun productive work place
Computer Technician (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 22, 2014
Work at an easy pace
learn something new everyday
management are great
co-workers are great
hardest part of the job is when the state is coming to the building for inspections everything needs to be working better than great
A day in inlcusion
Inclusion Para - Professional (Current Employee), Rego Park, QueensMay 12, 2014
Pros: i enjoyed making an impact on the lives and daily learning of my students.
Cons: becoming attached to the children and missing them once they have moved on.
I enjoyed working alongside some of New York City's best educators. I was allowed to participate and teach in small group settings, as well as monitor class progress. I worked alongside the teachers whom allowed me to work on my craft and better my teaching skills with both the general and special education students.
Great Experience
Re (Current Employee), Brooklyn, nyApril 26, 2014
A typical day is hectic. setting up conferences with parents with the principal, deans and teachers.i learned a lot over my years working there how to multitask between the phones and signing in guest into the building.My relationship with my co-worker are good. One big great group of different individuals.The hardest part of the day is in the morning – more... getting the students into the building. The most enjoyable part of working there is seeing the students graduate and move on with there lives. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About NYC Department of Education

University comes from Latin for "the whole" and that's what they mean by The University of the State of New York (USNY). The agency – Read more

NYC Department of Education Photos