NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Employee Reviews in United States

Ok work place. Good and bad like anywhere else.
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 2, 2016
Pay for work life balance with poor management and hierarchical structure. Some areas are better than others. Your experience depends on where you end up. Upper management has good intentions.
Pros
work life balance, pension
Cons
poor management to the point that people quit without finding another job
Productive and efficient
Supervisor of Administration & Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 30, 2015
Very fluid and hard working. Fast placed environment that's very goal orientated. Co-managers and subordinates operate very cohesively.
Pros
Flexible management, Health Care Benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Great finge benefits
Associate Public Health Sanitarian Level I (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 11, 2015
Great job advancement throughout various bureaus in agency.
Work equipments are updated frequently allowing workers to conduct their jobs tasks more efficiently.
Pros
TRAVELING IN 5 BOROS
Great Place to Work
City Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2016
If you are serious about public health, the DOH is the place for you. I work with a lot of smart and dedicated people. However, there are also people here who just care about the compensation alone.
Pros
Salary, benefits, job growth, union
Cons
pay raises, job growth
Work place is ok depending on your department
Finance Associate (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYOctober 30, 2015
Good place to work. Job security is good.Must take city exams to secure guarantee position. Each division is different so different experience for everyone.
great
Call Agent, Information Support Services Aide (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYApril 25, 2016
the department of health is a great place to work especially in the section i worked which is operations typical day always involves constantly receiving call from the public
great and fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2016
dealing with different agencies in the city and providing great customer service thru out the clinics around the five borough and most importantly help the clients in need of assistance in the new york city area
Fun but could be more productive
Physician Support Intern (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 26, 2015
I was an intern here for a period 6 months. The position could have offered a more challenging opportunity. However, there is plenty of room for growth.
Fast Paced
Stock Worker 3/ Driver (Current Employee) –  25 Worth Street N.Y. NYJune 6, 2014
I loaded and unloaded medications. I stocked and checked for quality assurance and kept track of incoming products and equipment.It is also very important to keep the area clean. I am a very organized person. I made deliveries to various health departments through out the city. The management made the job easier. My supervisor is a understanding individual with a lot of knowledge about the health department. The health department has an excellent staff who are the best co-workers. I think the hardest part of the job is making deliveries in the late afternoon because of the extreme New York City traffic.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
driving to make deliveries in horrific traffic jams
Great and productive work place
CUNY Service Corps Member, Data Management Intern (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 25, 2015
I have learned many skills and gained experience in administrative services in the hospital settings. Enjoyable work environment where we put patients first.
People I've worked with through the years are nice, fun and caring people
OTPS Coordinator (Current Employee) –  NYMarch 10, 2015
this is an alright place to work.
my co-workers are great to work with
management is alright to work with
My co-work are fun and entertaining. We go out laugh, eat and have loads of fun. But when it is time to work we do know to stop and handle our business. Thank you
Pros
they show good informative movies about health issues
Cons
needs a healthier environment
Great Benefits
Environmental Projects Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 23, 2015
Great benefits with some drawbacks....

Hard to move up without moving around...

Quality of work varies greatly within organization...
Pros
pension plan, healthcare included
Cons
no bonuses; increases sporatic
organizational
College Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2015
Working at the dept. of health is a very fast past enviroment. Distributing birth and death certificates to customers. Its a great place to learn clerical work
Helping the public gives a lot of satisfaction and fellow employees are wonderful, but advancement is difficult.
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2013
Great working environment, always pushing for new technologies, usually laid back unless something hits the fan. It is great to feel like you are helping the public especially during emergencies when other people huddle at home we work.
Advancement can be difficult as there are strict citywide rules that can be restrictive for proper growth.
Daily yoga classes.
Principal Administrative Associate/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2015
My day differ day to day because I worked for the disaster preparedness and response unit; because there may be an citywide emergency at any given time. Preparing/coordinating a training, conference, seminar and/or workshop. Composing correspondence, heavy phone contact while performing administrative/logistics duties.
Pros
large kitchen and sitting area.
Cons
none.
Job environment is very comfortable.
Public Health Inspector (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 31, 2015
A typical day at work involves doing inspections and writing reports

Learned how to interact with the public.

Improved on my writing skills.
The best health department in the country!
Director of 311/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2012
I work with very motivated professionals, world-class experts in a variety of health-related fields such as communicable diseases, HIV prevention, environmental health, and mental health. I have been inspired by the agency’ progressive approach in addressing some of the most challenging current health issues such as smoking and obesity. I have been fortunate to gain new skills while working for the Health Department, by being exposed to policy development, press office, digital communications and marketing. I feel that the agency values my skills and contributions, mostly in the area of strategy and service operations.
Fun place to work.
HIV and AIDS Educator/Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2015
Really fun and cool job to work at. Great customers, co-workers and environment.
Place was well mannered and productive
office aid (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkFebruary 15, 2012
This job has helped me not only work with others in a professional manner but i have learned about the importance of business and how to continue that purpose of importance.
Pros
guidance and help from other employees
Excellent work environment
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 16, 2014
met with public and worked one-on-one
speaking and assisting the general public
supervising my case load
knowledgeable co-workers
time constraints was challenging
meeting with the public
Pros
meeting people
Cons
commute