NYC Department of Health Employee Reviews

very enjoyable place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 21, 2015
I got to serve the public by helping them receive the documents that they may have needed on time. I felt very rewarded working at theis job and in the position I was in.
Pros
lovely co-workers
Cons
no cons
Productive and team oriented work environment
Assistant Public Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  queens, nyOctober 8, 2014
Data entry most of the day, answering the telephones. Some days I will assist a public health advisor in the field. Visisitng index's home, hospitals or where ever needed to go to contact a patient in regards of their health. I have several co-workers and i get along and work very well with all of them.. We have a family oriented work place. I must admit the hardest part of my job, which has to be done is giving someone some bad news inregards of their health. the best part of my job is being able to help someone, wheather it be by some encouraging words, helping them with seeking health care, just being able to help someone in their time of need.
Pros
helping someone
Cons
having to deliver unpleasant news to the patients regarding their health
Efficent and effective work environment
Stock clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2014
archiving death and birth certificates

I learn how the department tracks issues dealing with the city as a whole.

My coworkers are all dedicated and take pride in their work.
Pros
benefits, various opportunities through out the city
Oldest NYC Governemental Oganization, doing great work.
College Aide-Assistant to Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington Heights, NYJanuary 14, 2015
Very busy organization, can learn greatly from others if you desire. I learned how important health in life is period and how much it affects the world around us.
Fund and adventurous work.
Public Health Sanitarian (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2013
If you like bossing around restaurant staff, here is your golden opportunity as a health inspector.
Pros
you get to travel all over the city and see the finest and worst eateries.
Cons
too many ethical temptations.
its just ok working for DOH
Custodian / Handy Man (Current Employee) –  9037 PARSONS BLVD JAMAICA NY 11432April 6, 2015
I been work for doh for 26 years need a change and new location the good its the banifit the bad to many bosses but I love to work no problem with me
Pros
BANIFIT
Cons
TO MANY BOSSES
school nurse
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 21, 2014
Provide direct care to 250-800 school children per day. Administer medications,triage and first aide. Liaison between Parents, teachers, and medical professionals.
Pros
overwhelmingly busy
NYC Dept of Health
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2015
This was a short term temp position. The work environment was sufficient and pleasant. I was exposed to medical termology and classifications.
Pros
peers
Cons
Low pay
Working for the city
College aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 29, 2012
It was fun always a lot to do, I kept busy, I learned how to be a team player, the hardest part of the job was it was so demanding
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
short breaks
Stress-free workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 24, 2012
Mostly worked with database and on the phone interviewing patients.
Pros
short hours
Cons
no compensation except for academic credit
An excellent Agency to work for.
Secretary Level IV (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 25, 2013
I worked at the Chelsea Clinic, over at 28th St. and 9th Ave., where we provided anonymous HIV counseling and testing. A typical day at work consisted in be on time to open the site to greet our walk-in or scheduled clients. Escorted the client to the specific HRS that will conduct the Intake. In cases where the client was Spanish speaking only, I will served as a translator to the Human Rights Specialist. I coordinated or cancel appointments over the phone for different organizations. Prepared clients folders, received clients results and filed them in their respective folders so they could be available for the HRS and client. I was responsible for the accuracy of personnel timesheets on a daily basis, among other things.

I learned so much with this job. First of all, I learned about how HIV changed and destroyed so many lives. I learned about how exceptional and compassionate were my co-workers delivering patients with Positive HIV or STD results, treating them with dignity and professionalism. I learned how important is to have places like these clinics where people can seek for help and be treated with respect.

In order to accomplish a days work, I was on time to prioritized in order of importance, specially if I was needed to served as an interpreter for someone with a positive HIV result. At times, when the Clinic was not so busy, I will prepare folders with all documentation needed and have it ready for HRS, I will also use this time for returning calls or take referred clients, prepare order supplies or do inventory, etc.

At the Department of Health
  more... Chelsea Clinic, I worked with excellent and professional people. Extraordinary human beings. They were three HRS and two phlebotomists. Later on we were merged with the Chelsea STD Clinic, where I had great co-workers and great experiences too.

The hardest part of this job was to handle a Positive HIV result, you never knew what to expect. If the particular client was on denial, I needed to be mentally prepare to handle the situation with my co-workers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having all these extraordinary people as my co-workers, we were like a family. We all treated each other with respect and cordiality. I also enjoyed having the opportunity to be there for our clients.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYC Department of Health. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2