NYC Department of Health

NYC Department of Health Employer Reviews

An excellent Agency to work for.
Secretary Level IV (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 25, 2013
Pros: good salary and benefits
I worked at the Chelsea Clinic, over at 28th St. and 9th Ave., where we provided anonymous HIV counseling and testing. A typical day at work consisted in be on time to open the site to greet our walk-in or scheduled clients. Escorted the client to the specific HRS that will conduct the Intake. In cases where the client was Spanish speaking only, I will – more... served as a translator to the Human Rights Specialist. I coordinated or cancel appointments over the phone for different organizations. Prepared clients folders, received clients results and filed them in their respective folders so they could be available for the HRS and client. I was responsible for the accuracy of personnel timesheets on a daily basis, among other things.

I learned so much with this job. First of all, I learned about how HIV changed and destroyed so many lives. I learned about how exceptional and compassionate were my co-workers delivering patients with Positive HIV or STD results, treating them with dignity and professionalism. I learned how important is to have places like these clinics where people can seek for help and be treated with respect.

In order to accomplish a days work, I was on time to prioritized in order of importance, specially if I was needed to served as an interpreter for someone with a positive HIV result. At times, when the Clinic was not so busy, I will prepare folders with all documentation needed and have it ready for HRS, I will also use this time for returning calls or take referred clients, prepare order supplies or do inventory, etc.

At the Department of Health Chelsea Clinic, I worked with excellent and professional people. Extraordinary human beings. They were three HRS and two phlebotomists. Later on we were merged with the Chelsea STD Clinic, where I had great co-workers and great experiences too.

The hardest part of this job was to handle a Positive HIV result, you never knew what to expect. If the particular client was on denial, I needed to be mentally prepare to handle the situation with my co-workers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having all these extraordinary people as my co-workers, we were like a family. We all treated each other with respect and cordiality. I also enjoyed having the opportunity to be there for our clients. – less
Fund and adventurous work.
Public Health Sanitarian (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: you get to travel all over the city and see the finest and worst eateries.
Cons: too many ethical temptations.
If you like bossing around restaurant staff, here is your golden opportunity as a health inspector.
Stress-free workplace
Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 24, 2012
Pros: short hours
Cons: no compensation except for academic credit
Mostly worked with database and on the phone interviewing patients.
Working for the city
College aide (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 29, 2012
Pros: nice co-workers
Cons: short breaks
It was fun always a lot to do, I kept busy, I learned how to be a team player, the hardest part of the job was it was so demanding