NYC Department of Parks & Recreation

NYC Department of Parks & Recreation Employee Reviews

Great place to work and get experience in Parks
City Seasonal Aide (Former Employee), Queens, NYMay 11, 2015
Loved working for this agency. They gave me a great opportunity to acquire other skills while working outdoors as well as in many different natural environments.
My work place was exciting alot of activities for young adults, adults and seniors
Seasonal Groundskeeper (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 6, 2015
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: only 30 minute lunch break
I maintained the bathroom and work area most of the day, set up equipment for the activities for that particular day. Management was very hands on with the stuff, my co-workers and I got along well, my day to day was not hard at all I came in and did my job I was a team player the most enjoyable part is meeting new people in the area.
I love working its something i enjoy daily.
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short breaks
I love learning new things im a team player i work hard and dont mind learning new things.my coworkers are easy to get along with they are nice people with good hearts and we all get along the hardest part of my job is trying to keep the feces off parks grounds because so many dogs visit daily.
lots to do and great coworkers
gardener Worker (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 6, 2015
i love working with my hands great hours great team i dont know wat more u want me to say.
Learning experience
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 19, 2014
Preparing and sanitizing the bathrooms to my park house for the public use. Sweep, rake leaves if necessary depending on the weather if it's winter removal of snow and ice from path ways and entrances – more... so it's safe for the public to enter and leave city parks. Being able to work under different managerial persons so I have experience dealing with different personalities, opinions and ideas. Mother Nature is the hardest part of this job where as we deal with what she gives no matter what. The most enjoyable part is being able to meet the different people who use the city parks. – less
Productive and fun workplace
Facilities Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 15, 2014
Pros: working outdoors, meeting people, working with your hands
Cons: short breaks, working for extended hours under the sun
We would review the park and gardens see what needed to be done and did it. Everyday was a different task including watering, weeding, plating, moving plants, mowing, and trimming. The most difficult part – more... of the job was staying out under the hot sun but other then that everything was great. My co-workers were very friendly, easy to get along with. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact and meet a lot of different people. – less
it was a great lifetime learning experience.
Seasonal Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 10, 2014
Pros: a beautiful experience
Cons: little time seasonal
I really enjoyed the people that I have worked with and also the people that I came in contact with within the comunity
Excellent work life balance, very good managment, quality job culture
Seasonal Clerical Aid / Switchboard Operator (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 10, 2014
A regular work day included but was not limited to:
operating multi lined switchboard and streaming calls. Providing client assistance, managing client traffic, and handling general clerical and special – more... projects given by management.
I greatly improved my multi tasking skills along with picking up a number of skills including Microsoft office suite, security, and customer service skills.
I work with very minimal supervision and completed assigned task and daily tasks very efficiently. The hardest part of the job was being limited to assigned tasks, and not being able to head out special projects that were not apart of my job description. The most enjoyable was providing quality customer service, and working with the public. – less
Parks and recreation
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYMay 15, 2014
Pros: interaction with people
Cons: not an office setting
The best part of the job was the fact that I was able to interact with the children and parents who frequently visited the park. I was able to provide a safe, clean environment that the could enjoy.
PRODUCTIVE
JTP (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 9, 2014
CUSTOMER SERVICE. UNDERSTANDING OTHERS. BEING COMFTABLE
fun outdoor employment
Crew Chief (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 8, 2014
Pros: beautiful veiw
Cons: rain and snow
every one was friendly and respectful to one another we work as a team
great views
Mobile Crew (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 20, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: not enough people
Great experience and love to keep the parks clean and safe for the community. Have great co-workers
Very Pleasant Place To Work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Queens, NYFebruary 5, 2014
I would start at 7AM cleaning the park and playgrounds and making sure they were cleaned before the children come out of school. The co-workers were excellent, and made working there a lot easier than – more... me working alone, although there were times I had to work alone. The hardest part of this job and any outside job for that matter is the snow and the falling leaves. But all in all it was nice to see that people could come out and sit in a nice clean park. – less
Productive and fun place to work.
City Seasonal Aide (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 18, 2013
Pros: outdoors, traveling to various locations.
Cons: none.
Clean parks and Parks recreational facilities.
Clean up leaves, tree branches.
Paint playgrounds.
Shovel snow.
Clean bathrooms.
Secure Parks from undesirables.
no room for growth
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee), Bronx, NYNovember 10, 2013
enjoyed working with the public, management was fair, I learned how to use a lot of landscape tools, the hardest part of the job was clean when it was wet outside,
I think it's a great company to work for, they help you to succeed at what you do, there's help every step of the way. You are never confused.
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 7, 2013
I loved working in the park. I like the outdoors and the sense of applying one's self and doing what needs to be done for the day. I would look around and take responsibility and do what is required as – more... the day progresses.
A typical day is opening of the park, sweeping the grounds, removing trash and storing it in the correct manner. The bathroom cleaning is a daily part of the parks job. You have to mop the bathroom, sweep the bathroom, replace the toilet paper, clean the toilet bowl. At times i painted the Parkhouse, the benches, the grounds. i was a creative painter, painting as necessary.
When the swing was broken or anything was wrong I would let someone know and the public was warned there is something wrong with the swing.
Illegal activity was reported the correct way, reports were written when necessary.
I highly give the parks a high 5 star rating, it's a really cool job – less
it was nice working their
jtp (Former Employee), NEW YORKOctober 10, 2013
Pros: noe
i clean the bathroom and staff room.Pick up trash inside and outside of park.paint benches
Wonderful employer
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Current Employee), Queens, NYSeptember 25, 2013
Landscaping, cleaning and directing park patrons. I sweep and keep comfort stations fully supplied. I make sure rec centers are spotless and safe.
No Comment
Assistant (Current Employee), Bronx, NYSeptember 25, 2013
There were no typical work days, duties varied
I learned to be more humble
Management was fair
Got along well with co-workers
Multitasking was hard
Flexible hours
Park Services
Park Service Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 28, 2013
I got to meet new people and i love working with other people we would ride around and make sure all parks was cleaned before we got off work. I love to see the kids come and play in clean park.

NYC Department of Parks & Recreation Salaries