NYC Department of Parks & Recreation

NYC Department of Parks & Recreation Employer Reviews

fun outdoor employment
Crew Chief (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 8, 2014
Pros: beautiful veiw
Cons: rain and snow
every one was friendly and respectful to one another we work as a team
great views
Mobile Crew (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 20, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: not enough people
Great experience and love to keep the parks clean and safe for the community. Have great co-workers
Very Pleasant Place To Work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Queens, NYFebruary 5, 2014
I would start at 7AM cleaning the park and playgrounds and making sure they were cleaned before the children come out of school. The co-workers were excellent, and made working there a lot easier than me working alone, although there were times I had to work alone. The hardest part of this job and any outside job for that matter is the snow and the – more... falling leaves. But all in all it was nice to see that people could come out and sit in a nice clean park. – less
Productive and fun place to work.
City Seasonal Aide (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 18, 2013
Pros: outdoors, traveling to various locations.
Cons: none.
Clean parks and Parks recreational facilities.
Clean up leaves, tree branches.
Paint playgrounds.
Shovel snow.
Clean bathrooms.
Secure Parks from undesirables.
no room for growth
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee), Bronx, NYNovember 10, 2013
enjoyed working with the public, management was fair, I learned how to use a lot of landscape tools, the hardest part of the job was clean when it was wet outside,
I think it's a great company to work for, they help you to succeed at what you do, there's help every step of the way. You are never confused.
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 7, 2013
I loved working in the park. I like the outdoors and the sense of applying one's self and doing what needs to be done for the day. I would look around and take responsibility and do what is required as the day progresses.
A typical day is opening of the park, sweeping the grounds, removing trash and storing it in the correct manner. The bathroom cleaning – more... is a daily part of the parks job. You have to mop the bathroom, sweep the bathroom, replace the toilet paper, clean the toilet bowl. At times i painted the Parkhouse, the benches, the grounds. i was a creative painter, painting as necessary.
When the swing was broken or anything was wrong I would let someone know and the public was warned there is something wrong with the swing.
Illegal activity was reported the correct way, reports were written when necessary.
I highly give the parks a high 5 star rating, it's a really cool job – less
it was nice working their
jtp (Former Employee), NEW YORKOctober 10, 2013
Pros: noe
i clean the bathroom and staff room.Pick up trash inside and outside of park.paint benches
Wonderful employer
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Current Employee), Queens, NYSeptember 25, 2013
Landscaping, cleaning and directing park patrons. I sweep and keep comfort stations fully supplied. I make sure rec centers are spotless and safe.
No Comment
Assistant (Current Employee), Bronx, NYSeptember 25, 2013
There were no typical work days, duties varied
I learned to be more humble
Management was fair
Got along well with co-workers
Multitasking was hard
Flexible hours
Park Services
Park Service Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 28, 2013
I got to meet new people and i love working with other people we would ride around and make sure all parks was cleaned before we got off work. I love to see the kids come and play in clean park.
PRODUCTIVE AND FUN PLACE TO WORK IN
Maintenance Employee (Former Employee), Flushing, NYAugust 27, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: seasonal job
I LOVED WORKING FOR THE PARKS DEPARTMENT I ENJOYED BEING OUTDOORS AND TALKING WITH PARK RESIDENTS AND ASSISTING THEM IN KEEPING THE PARK SAFE AND CLEAN.
Great learning experience
Senior Employment Counselor (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: healthcare, 401k, city perks, union
Cons: no upward mobility, not up to date with technology, no bonuses, no rewards
A typical day at work consist of career workshops, recruiting, case management. I learned how to build relationships with a diverse divisions. I have excellent leadership skills and a very healthy work environment. The tough part of the job is how to handle irate clients with criminal backgrounds. I enjoy facilitating my career workshops and setting – more... up short and long term career goals. – less
hard working environment
Seasonal Staff Member (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: city job, opens doors for more city job opportunities, benefits
Cons: dangerous work sites
the people I worked with were great. However there were times the work got pretty bad but it was definitely a great experience for me.
Volunteer work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYDecember 24, 2012
A typical day at work consisted of genral cleaning of the park.
Productive and fun workplace
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 21, 2012
Working at the parks department was fun. I would clean the parks in the morning making sure everything was clean for the kids to come play during the day
I enjoyed working outside and being surround by nature whether it was good or bad.
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 19, 2012
My overall experience was enjoyable. Everyday I meet good workers enjoy cleaning the play areas for all children of all ages. My supervisors were informative about upcoming employment with the parks and taught me well.
Fun,fast paced environment.
Lifeguard (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 17, 2012
Pros: great job to stay fit
Cons: healthcare, seasonal
My years working as a lifeguard for the NYC parks and recreation was fun and helped me to work with the public in every way. This job also helped me to be a team player.