NYC Department of Parks & Recreation Employee Reviews

An OK place to work
Capital Project Development Coordinator (Analyst) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2017
It's a government job. Culture is probably better than other agencies, but there is still a high level of nepotism, and advancement, even within the agency, is hard. Compensation and benefits are the same as other government agencies.
Great learning Exprience
maitnence (Former Employee) –  34 streetFebruary 16, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of heavy lifting, Used Blower, cleared walk ways of trash and debris. I learned how to use many different tools and meet numerous people threw out the day.
Nice workplace with very respectful workers
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2017
The park has nice areas to go in. It's a relaxing place to go and clear your mind. it's a big park to do BBQ and birthday party in. You plant flowers.
Pros
Park events for families
Cons
Park goers litter disrespect park equipment use bathroom in areas of the park
Great
Seasonal Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2017
Saving New York is the best way to be by cleaning by serving by helping by any means necessary healthy New York is a healthy you
Front Desk Receptionist
Seasonal Assistant/JTP Clerical (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 17, 2017
This was one of my favorite jobs, However, it was only Seasonal. I enjoyed working at the front desk of the Borough Crews Office. I was the first face everyone saw when they stepped inside of the Office. I assisted three Supervisors with general Office duties like filing, faxing, typing, Office cleanliness, etc.
Great experience
Seasonal Driver/Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 23, 2016
Working with parks was fun and meeting different people was an experience! I was able to drive small garbage truck and gators and drivable lawnmowers
Wish I could have stayed longer it was something different I look forward to working Parks again!
Seasonal Park Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 5, 2016
I liked working parks I learned how to do a lot of things. Management was always working with us to accommodate our hectic lives! My coworkers were like friends and we worked as a team! The hardest part of my job was not getting over time! The most enjoyable part of my job was all the events that I attended!
Pros
I spent my summer outside
Cons
I had less time with my children
Great opportunity
Mantenance (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 14, 2016
I was working as a jtp (jop participant trainee) but the pay was great ...gret work experience and also the crew member was awesome
Pros
Can always do overtime
Cons
Have to work at least one weekend day
Educational
City Seasonal Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2016
This job is educational. It is also challenging at times but I've learned so much from working here. Only bad thing. Is it is only Seasonal because I do not know how to drive. I really wish . It could be permanent without driving.
Pros
Great for learning new things
Cons
Seasonal
didn't like the work place or the workers
Park / Seasonal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 9, 2016
I hate the park department I hate all the captains and some sergeants the parks department sell u a dream they have u thinking that u can make it no they have u working like slaves they don't give u extra pay they don't let u take days off when u want the parks department sucks it really do
Pros
there's nothing they give away for free
Cons
no health care no nothing
not bad
Parks Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 26, 2016
job is good.The structure of dept is bad. management need training most are unapproachable. every day is not the same, they will move you around to different locations which is the worst part no consideration about your commute you will just be moved as they feel like.
Pros
good fun work fulfilling
Cons
bad pay no recognition for hard work.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Seasonal Park Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job. Is making the residents smile. Giving them the best Quality of Life. Communicating with the residents and co-workers is very enjoyable.
Stay away from the POP Program
Outreach Community Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2016
The job is super draining. You will be working with people on public assistant. There's no problem with that. The only issue is that these people don't want to work. A lot of issues with the senior employees. There's no work order. Management have preferences and if they are friendly, they are extremely inappropriate.

Stay away from the POP Program....
Hard physical work
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 9, 2015
It's hard physical work maintaining the city parks. Keeping the parks clean is so important to the environment.The great part of the job is meeting people from all over the 5 boroughs and people from different countries.
Pros
meeting people from all over
Cons
daily physcial work can be hard on the body
A diverse atmosphere where serving the public with excellent service daily
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 10, 2015
The daily routine is to ensure that public park facilties are properly functional for use etc making sure literature on various resources pertaining to the parks many different features were available for visitors , public bathrooms playgrounds fields accommodating for use of park patrons
Pros
Seeing people enjoy themselves while using different facilites
Cons
Being reslilant during bouts of severe weather
Good place to work in advance
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 24, 2015
I like working here. the pay is good hour lunch break I enjoy working here. mostly I'm on the truck the supervisors pay attention to how good you are working when you think no one is looking.
Great place to work and get experience in Parks
City Seasonal Aide (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 11, 2015
Loved working for this agency. They gave me a great opportunity to acquire other skills while working outdoors as well as in many different natural environments.
My work place was exciting alot of activities for young adults, adults and seniors
Seasonal Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2015
I maintained the bathroom and work area most of the day, set up equipment for the activities for that particular day. Management was very hands on with the stuff, my co-workers and I got along well, my day to day was not hard at all I came in and did my job I was a team player the most enjoyable part is meeting new people in the area.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
only 30 minute lunch break
I love working its something i enjoy daily.
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 20, 2015
I love learning new things im a team player i work hard and dont mind learning new things.my coworkers are easy to get along with they are nice people with good hearts and we all get along the hardest part of my job is trying to keep the feces off parks grounds because so many dogs visit daily.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
lots to do and great coworkers
gardener Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2015
i love working with my hands great hours great team i dont know wat more u want me to say.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYC Department of Parks & Recreation. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval