NYC Department of Parks & Recreation Employee Reviews in United States

not bad
Parks Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 26, 2016
job is good.The structure of dept is bad. management need training most are unapproachable. every day is not the same, they will move you around to different locations which is the worst part no consideration about your commute you will just be moved as they feel like.
Pros
good fun work fulfilling
Cons
bad pay no recognition for hard work.
Stay away from the POP Program
Outreach Community Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2016
The job is super draining. You will be working with people on public assistant. There's no problem with that. The only issue is that these people don't want to work. A lot of issues with the senior employees. There's no work order. Management have preferences and if they are friendly, they are extremely inappropriate.

Stay away from the POP Program....
Hard physical work
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 9, 2015
It's hard physical work maintaining the city parks. Keeping the parks clean is so important to the environment.The great part of the job is meeting people from all over the 5 boroughs and people from different countries.
Pros
meeting people from all over
Cons
daily physcial work can be hard on the body
A diverse atmosphere where serving the public with excellent service daily
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 10, 2015
The daily routine is to ensure that public park facilties are properly functional for use etc making sure literature on various resources pertaining to the parks many different features were available for visitors , public bathrooms playgrounds fields accommodating for use of park patrons
Pros
Seeing people enjoy themselves while using different facilites
Cons
Being reslilant during bouts of severe weather
Good place to work in advance
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 24, 2015
I like working here. the pay is good hour lunch break I enjoy working here. mostly I'm on the truck the supervisors pay attention to how good you are working when you think no one is looking.
Great place to work and get experience in Parks
City Seasonal Aide (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 11, 2015
Loved working for this agency. They gave me a great opportunity to acquire other skills while working outdoors as well as in many different natural environments.
My work place was exciting alot of activities for young adults, adults and seniors
Seasonal Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2015
I maintained the bathroom and work area most of the day, set up equipment for the activities for that particular day. Management was very hands on with the stuff, my co-workers and I got along well, my day to day was not hard at all I came in and did my job I was a team player the most enjoyable part is meeting new people in the area.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
only 30 minute lunch break
I love working its something i enjoy daily.
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 20, 2015
I love learning new things im a team player i work hard and dont mind learning new things.my coworkers are easy to get along with they are nice people with good hearts and we all get along the hardest part of my job is trying to keep the feces off parks grounds because so many dogs visit daily.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
lots to do and great coworkers
gardener Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2015
i love working with my hands great hours great team i dont know wat more u want me to say.
Learning experience
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 19, 2014
Preparing and sanitizing the bathrooms to my park house for the public use. Sweep, rake leaves if necessary depending on the weather if it's winter removal of snow and ice from path ways and entrances so it's safe for the public to enter and leave city parks. Being able to work under different managerial persons so I have experience dealing with different personalities, opinions and ideas. Mother Nature is the hardest part of this job where as we deal with what she gives no matter what. The most enjoyable part is being able to meet the different people who use the city parks.
Productive and fun workplace
Facilities Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 15, 2014
We would review the park and gardens see what needed to be done and did it. Everyday was a different task including watering, weeding, plating, moving plants, mowing, and trimming. The most difficult part of the job was staying out under the hot sun but other then that everything was great. My co-workers were very friendly, easy to get along with. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact and meet a lot of different people.
Pros
working outdoors, meeting people, working with your hands
Cons
short breaks, working for extended hours under the sun
it was a great lifetime learning experience.
Seasonal Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2014
I really enjoyed the people that I have worked with and also the people that I came in contact with within the comunity
Pros
a beautiful experience
Cons
little time seasonal
Excellent work life balance, very good managment, quality job culture
Seasonal Clerical Aid / Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2014
A regular work day included but was not limited to:
operating multi lined switchboard and streaming calls. Providing client assistance, managing client traffic, and handling general clerical and special projects given by management.
I greatly improved my multi tasking skills along with picking up a number of skills including Microsoft office suite, security, and customer service skills.
I work with very minimal supervision and completed assigned task and daily tasks very efficiently. The hardest part of the job was being limited to assigned tasks, and not being able to head out special projects that were not apart of my job description. The most enjoyable was providing quality customer service, and working with the public.
Parks and recreation
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 15, 2014
The best part of the job was the fact that I was able to interact with the children and parents who frequently visited the park. I was able to provide a safe, clean environment that the could enjoy.
Pros
interaction with people
Cons
not an office setting
JTP (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 9, 2014
Customer service. Understanding others. Being comftable
fun outdoor employment
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 8, 2014
every one was friendly and respectful to one another we work as a team
Pros
beautiful veiw
Cons
rain and snow
great views
Mobile Crew (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2014
Great experience and love to keep the parks clean and safe for the community. Have great co-workers
Pros
great pay
Cons
not enough people
Very Pleasant Place To Work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 5, 2014
I would start at 7AM cleaning the park and playgrounds and making sure they were cleaned before the children come out of school. The co-workers were excellent, and made working there a lot easier than me working alone, although there were times I had to work alone. The hardest part of this job and any outside job for that matter is the snow and the falling leaves. But all in all it was nice to see that people could come out and sit in a nice clean park.
Productive and fun place to work.
City Seasonal Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 18, 2013
Clean parks and Parks recreational facilities.
Clean up leaves, tree branches.
Paint playgrounds.
Shovel snow.
Clean bathrooms.
Secure Parks from undesirables.
Pros
outdoors, traveling to various locations.
Cons
none.
no room for growth
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 10, 2013
enjoyed working with the public, management was fair, I learned how to use a lot of landscape tools, the hardest part of the job was clean when it was wet outside,

4.2