NYC DOE Employee Reviews

Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 4, 2016
Excellent job, with extraordinary benefits and great work hours during the week with good days. Eight to three and mondays through friday, can't get any better.
Stable income
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 16, 2016
Pros: The NYC DOE provides a stable Income that increrases with the amount of time you work there. The work environment differs from school to school. Working during the summer for extra money is an option.

Cons: However, there is insufficient time to complete mandated paper work during the school year.
Productive!
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 1, 2016
Great Place to work! Friendly helpful and very knowledgeable staff! Culturally and academically diverse environment.
Productive and rewarding work environment
School Nurse P.S 255 (Current Employee) –  Woodside, NYMay 24, 2016
It is very rewarding to work in an environment where your help in educating and providing care as necessary proves efficient and helpful to parents and their special need children.

Staff is really nice and cooperative we my efforts to promote as much functioning as possible of the special need child, while in school.
Pros
rewarding work environment
Cons
No Medical Room
Positive work enviorment
Custodian Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 9, 2016
Positive work environment with a dedicated staff. A fast paced work environment that required employees to flexible and have to be able to make quick decisions.
Productive and fun work place
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 29, 2016
love my job and working with children. Hardest part of the job is time management.. Coworkers were great. Principal was great- ordered supplies all the time and really had a great grasp of occupational therapy and what the therapist does.
Pros
get to play with kids all day
Cons
limited space to work
Its a good place to work with the right principal.
Payroll School Secretary (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 23, 2015
I loved my job and I took it very seriously. It gave me pleasure making things easy for others. It taught me a lot about people and how different they are. It could be very stressful but enjoyable at the same time.
educational environment...lots of opportunutiens to develop professional skills
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 30, 2015
satisfied.. and enjoyed a lot. I worked in regular school hours. 6 hours a day. I learned how to manage thje classroom. Most enjoyable partgs to accept the challenges in different places everyday.
Productive work place
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 5, 2015
Manage classroom environment. Work amongst professionals. progress monitor. SANDI/FAST assesments. Author IEPS. Anecdotals/ ABC charts.
Developed lesson plans for students for reach high potenial in learning
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, nyMarch 6, 2015
Already reviewed Please see this review in my prior writing. This will become very redundant. I explained everything in my past review.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
thankless job
___
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ridgewood, NYAugust 9, 2014
I have worked for the NYC DOE for 2 years now. I have learned much and accrued various skills that will help me when working with students of all ages. I have had to work with different adults in my room and delegate responsibilities in addition to teaching my children and ensuring they feel comfortable and safe.
Work at this Company Was fun with different group of people.
Substitute Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York City public schoolMarch 30, 2014
It was a great experience working at this company. Where I encountered people with different ethnic group and different background. I learned a lot about management and social skills. ( teens pregnancy dropped out students.) At the beginning the job seems to be hard because I did not have prior knowledge about social skills.The most enjoyable part of the job is all my co workers were able to provide me assistance when I needed. ( Team work)
Organization for helping students
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO COMMUNITY SCHOOL BOARD (Current Employee) –  LIC, NYOctober 23, 2013
Work for parents and most of the time i am my own boss. Work load is average.
fun yet challenging
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 6, 2013
a challenging yet frustrating place to teach. Student apathy and little parental involvement make it a difficult place to work
Pros
challenging
Cons
low parental involvement
great
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  QueensAugust 4, 2013
Taught various subjects on behalf of absent teachers. worked at various schools and many different administrations.
Provides excellent professional development
Teacher (Special Education) (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 25, 2013
Great deal of positive changes within the NYCDOE. There is definitely room for growth. Great collaboration amongst educators. Professional Learning Committees are extremely beneficial.
Pros
Workshops, Professional Developments, Mentoring, Staff Support Offered
Cons
Lots of paper work in addition to teaching
Great place to learn about educating
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 16, 2013
I learned how to manage a classroom, collaborate with peers, and organize lessons as a classroom teacher. A typical day at work began at 7am with preparing for the day and ended at 4 pm with parent conversations and future planning. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with consistent change from one day to the next with peers and students and the best thing about the job was student successes and discussions.
Pros
Student success
Cons
very time consuming
Acting Teacher for Basic Skills and Shakespeare
Arts Instructor (Current Employee) –  New York, New YorkDecember 26, 2012
I teach in a school that is technically a title 1 school and the majority of children who attend have been selected by lottery. The children are getting an opportunity at a better education than what might be available in thier district. There is a behavior modification system and the academics are excellent. I have no complaints.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYC DOE. Our community is ready to answer.