NYC Housing Authority

NYC Housing Authority Employer Reviews

A dynamic work environment
Social Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 23, 2014
Pros: accessibility to resources to help service residents.
Cons: bureaucratic bottle necks
My daily function entails providing needed services to residents in crisis,in the largest public housing system in the United States,with 8 percent of New York City population.

On a typical day,there are various forms of crisis to manage,i had to resort to priority.Time management is is always huge in my agenda,this alleviates the ever increasing case loads.

My co-workers are fabulously cooperative,as we depend on each others for support and resources.

The hardest part of the job, is bureaucratic situations that could limit service delivery.

I cherish the prayers and compliments from senior residents and general population,expressing gratitude for services received.
Busy, hectic job from beginning to end of work day.
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 28, 2014
Pros: public service oriented job
Cons: federally funded organization facing shortage of funding for decades
A typical work day begins with clients at the office before start of work day. Important to verify staff is present and ready to work. Next important is to check emails for important things to do. Followup with supervisors and staff for completion of work before deadlines. What I learned each day is how to better prioritize many priorities. Management style is heavy monitoring of directives and deadlines. Staff is very busy with the completion of assignments by deadlines. The hardest part of the job is to provide quality customer service with the company's shortage of manpower, supplies, and revenues. The most enjoyable part of the job is teamwork and accomplish goals by deadlines.
productive and fun enviroment
Temporary Painter (Former Employee), New York CitySeptember 4, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: no cons
this was a calm atmosphere until you get cancelled, then you have to do a lot of running around to occupy your day. the supervisors are nice but sometime they have a bad day just like you and me
Productive and fun work environment
Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Bronx, NYAugust 19, 2014
Pros: entertaining
Cons: short term/seasonal job
The work was simple, and the environment was fun and laid back.
Productive and well established work environment
Administrative Assistant to Superintendent (Current Employee), New York,NYApril 23, 2014
Pros: i get to learn new things and build up experience.
Cons: not being able to say no
I would say good morning to my supervisors and ask if they need my help with anything. If so i would start putting my task in order as to which are needed right away to which dont have deadlines. My co workers are all friendly we respect one another . The hardest part of the job would be not being able to give the tenants a right answer. The most enjoyable part of my job is we get the job done.
Many advancement potentials
Heating Plant Technician (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 11, 2014
The work is good and they are constantly training you to move up. Just relocated to the hudson Valley and looking for something closer to home
Enjoyable
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYMarch 28, 2014
The job wasn't much trouble even with the hot sun beaming down on us. Everyone came in on time did what they had to do throughout the day and that was it. Every now and then we would have a chat with the permanent employees about the job and how many years they've put in.
Very productive and informative working with other employees and residents
Community Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 28, 2013
A typical day was very busy from the time you clock in til the time you clock out. I learned how to deal with different personalities. My co-workers where great. The hardest part of my job was saying good bye to my co-workers and residents when I relocated to South Carolina. What I enjoyed the most was working with the children and teens.
Great Job with excellent benefits
Caretaker X (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 24, 2013
I've been working 11 years now and the most is the great benefits.
Lets just say I'm happy to have a job
CARETAKER OF GROUNDS (Current Employee), FAR ROCKAWAY NYOctober 20, 2013
Pros: healthcare benefits
Cons: everything terrible supervisors, short breaks, 12 day schedule, they act crazy if you want a day off
HOWEVER I'M UN HAPPY IN EVERY OTHER WAY. I WORK , 2 HOURS AWAY EVEN THOUGH I WORK IN THE SAME BORO, MY COMMUTE IS RIDICULOUS. TYRING TO GET CLOSER TO HOME SEEMS TO BE MISSION IMPOSSIBLE. NO COMMUNICATION OVERSIGHT OR REAL SUPERVISION FROM THE TOP DOWN THE ROCKAWAY DEVELOPMENTS ARE THE FORGOTTEN ONES. I HAVE 2 COLLEGE DEGREES AND AM PICKING UP GARBAGE ALL DAY WITH NYCHA IT SEEMS WHO YOU KNOW IS MORE IMPORTANT THEN WHAT YOU KNOW, GUESS I'M DONE HERE, WORK 12 days straight before I get 2days off, yes I believe it's time to go. Nycha cares more about its uneducated tyrant overseeing supervisors then the caretakers who are the back bone of the company.
A fun experience
Consultant, Part-Time (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 14, 2013
Pros: have the opportunity to work with kids.
Cons: job was only part time.
While working for the New York City Housing Authority I was able to work with kids of all ages.
It was a fun atmosphere and I really learned a lot while taking care of kids.
It was mostly helping them with their homework and creating recreational activities.
During the summer, we had fun camps with daily trips to many parts of New York.
I was provided with training and got a certificate that provided me with "After School Childcare Credentials."
cleaning housing buliding's
Maintenance Assistant (Seasonal Volunteer) (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: on your own time
i mopped floors, changed bulbs, cleaned the elevators and took out the building's trash
great job and pay
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), New Haven, CTJuly 30, 2012
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: dirty job
Great job dealing with a diverse group of people. had to deal with raw sewage, roaches and mice.
Decent place to work
Clerical Associate II (Former Employee), 23-02 49th AvenueJuly 23, 2012
Pros: great benefits, good hours
Cons: dealing with personalities of managers
Enjoyed working there mostly. The final location of the office was a bit difficult to get used to.
unproductive and need much improvement.
Caretaker P (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 16, 2012
Pros: good medical cover and pension plan
Cons: nycha had thirty minute lunch, and some trades had two fifthteen minute break, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, we had good health care coverage.
Working for the nyc housing authority was a great work expereince. I worked as a skilled caretaker for nineteen years.During my employment I found that some developments dont have the proper work tools to get the job done. It was stressful sometimes and working under supervisors that played a lot of favortism didnt make it any easyer, but I got the job done and did my best with what I had to work with.

About NYC Housing Authority

The New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA)'s mission is to increase opportunities for low- and moderate-income New Yorkers by – Read more

NYC Housing Authority Salaries