NYC Housing Authority Employee Reviews

hands on
Caretaker J (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 23, 2016
Working for New York City Housing was great i learned a lot like stripping,waxing,buffing floors,landscaping and also learning how to use the compactor machine.
Seems contradictory
Project manager (Current Employee) –  90 church stJuly 16, 2016
This agency is managed by people who are serving time to collect a pension. There is no sense of policy management, or policy at all when it comes to administering projects as a project manager. As a project manager you are the fall guy for every problem and you are ultimately responsible for every other departments actions. You are expected to keep these projects on schedule but have NO control over anyone else involved. Even though your are responsible management is constantly redirecting your projects (problem is they don't always know what there doing) without discussing it with you. Policy changes are constant, but are not communicated department wide so you end up doing things repeatedly because upper management never communicated form or policy changes. This agencu is truly the blind leading the blind. That being said, once you reconcile the fact the logic and rationale behavior are more elusive than the duck billed platypus you can find that civil service shuffle tempo and cost along like everyone else. Only problem is for new hires the pension is garbage and likely not enough to make you want to sell your self out if you like going to work to be productive. You'll be looking for your exit in 2 years. Good luck!
Pros
No one works hard so it's not hard to blend in if you want to slack
Cons
Management is petty and there is more gossip and clique behavior here than highs hook
A lot to learn
Heating Plant Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2016
I learned how to maintain a boiler plant, skills I can utilize not only in the field but at home.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the tenants
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Not enough time in a day to complete all the work that is required
Pleasant management, dynamic, respectful coworkers.
Translator and Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 28, 2015
A typical day at work involves various translation requests and varied interpretation requests. The most enjoyable part of the job is continuing to expand my knowledge and expertise as a translator and interpreter, being exposed to various settings and receiving requests from various departments.
Custodian Clener
CareTaker/Janitoral (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2015
my typical day at housing was cleaning hallways by mopping, sweeping, painting throwing out garbabe, fixing certain items in the buiding and etc.
productive
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  new yorkMarch 6, 2015
Worked in tenants apartments installing cabinets doors walls floors or ceilings. Work at your own pace within reasoning. Nobody stands over your shoulder to make sure you get he work done. Great work envirnment
A dynamic work environment
Social Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 23, 2014
My daily function entails providing needed services to residents in crisis,in the largest public housing system in the United States,with 8 percent of New York City population.

On a typical day,there are various forms of crisis to manage,i had to resort to priority.Time management is is always huge in my agenda,this alleviates the ever increasing case loads.

My co-workers are fabulously cooperative,as we depend on each others for support and resources.

The hardest part of the job, is bureaucratic situations that could limit service delivery.

I cherish the prayers and compliments from senior residents and general population,expressing gratitude for services received.
Pros
Accessibility to resources to help service residents.
Cons
Bureaucratic bottle necks
Busy, hectic job from beginning to end of work day.
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 28, 2014
A typical work day begins with clients at the office before start of work day. Important to verify staff is present and ready to work. Next important is to check emails for important things to do. Followup with supervisors and staff for completion of work before deadlines. What I learned each day is how to better prioritize many priorities. Management style is heavy monitoring of directives and deadlines. Staff is very busy with the completion of assignments by deadlines. The hardest part of the job is to provide quality customer service with the company's shortage of manpower, supplies, and revenues. The most enjoyable part of the job is teamwork and accomplish goals by deadlines.
Pros
Public service oriented job
Cons
Federally funded organization facing shortage of funding for decades
productive and fun enviroment
Temporary Painter (Former Employee) –  New York CitySeptember 4, 2014
this was a calm atmosphere until you get cancelled, then you have to do a lot of running around to occupy your day. the supervisors are nice but sometime they have a bad day just like you and me
Pros
pay
Cons
no cons
Productive and fun work environment
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 19, 2014
The work was simple, and the environment was fun and laid back.
Pros
entertaining
Cons
short term/seasonal job
Productive and well established work environment
Administrative Assistant to Superintendent (Current Employee) –  New York,NYApril 23, 2014
I would say good morning to my supervisors and ask if they need my help with anything. If so i would start putting my task in order as to which are needed right away to which dont have deadlines. My co workers are all friendly we respect one another . The hardest part of the job would be not being able to give the tenants a right answer. The most enjoyable part of my job is we get the job done.
Pros
I get to learn new things and build up experience.
Cons
Not being able to say no
Many advancement potentials
Heating Plant Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2014
The work is good and they are constantly training you to move up. Just relocated to the hudson Valley and looking for something closer to home
Enjoyable
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 28, 2014
The job wasn't much trouble even with the hot sun beaming down on us. Everyone came in on time did what they had to do throughout the day and that was it. Every now and then we would have a chat with the permanent employees about the job and how many years they've put in.
Very productive and informative working with other employees and residents
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 28, 2013
A typical day was very busy from the time you clock in til the time you clock out. I learned how to deal with different personalities. My co-workers where great. The hardest part of my job was saying good bye to my co-workers and residents when I relocated to South Carolina. What I enjoyed the most was working with the children and teens.
Great Job with excellent benefits
Caretaker X (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2013
I've been working 11 years now and the most is the great benefits.
Lets just say I'm happy to have a job
CARETAKER OF GROUNDS (Current Employee) –  FAR ROCKAWAY NYOctober 20, 2013
HOWEVER I'M UN HAPPY IN EVERY OTHER WAY. I WORK , 2 HOURS AWAY EVEN THOUGH I WORK IN THE SAME BORO, MY COMMUTE IS RIDICULOUS. TYRING TO GET CLOSER TO HOME SEEMS TO BE MISSION IMPOSSIBLE. NO COMMUNICATION OVERSIGHT OR REAL SUPERVISION FROM THE TOP DOWN THE ROCKAWAY DEVELOPMENTS ARE THE FORGOTTEN ONES. I HAVE 2 COLLEGE DEGREES AND AM PICKING UP GARBAGE ALL DAY WITH NYCHA IT SEEMS WHO YOU KNOW IS MORE IMPORTANT THEN WHAT YOU KNOW, GUESS I'M DONE HERE, WORK 12 days straight before I get 2days off, yes I believe it's time to go. Nycha cares more about its uneducated tyrant overseeing supervisors then the caretakers who are the back bone of the company.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
Everything terrible supervisors, short breaks, 12 day schedule, they act crazy if you want a day off
A fun experience
Consultant, Part-Time (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2013
While working for the New York City Housing Authority I was able to work with kids of all ages.
It was a fun atmosphere and I really learned a lot while taking care of kids.
It was mostly helping them with their homework and creating recreational activities.
During the summer, we had fun camps with daily trips to many parts of New York.
I was provided with training and got a certificate that provided me with "After School Childcare Credentials."
Pros
Have the opportunity to work with kids.
Cons
Job was only part time.
cleaning housing buliding's
Maintenance Assistant (Seasonal Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2012
i mopped floors, changed bulbs, cleaned the elevators and took out the building's trash
Pros
on your own time
great job and pay
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 30, 2012
Great job dealing with a diverse group of people. had to deal with raw sewage, roaches and mice.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
dirty job
Decent place to work
Clerical Associate II (Former Employee) –  23-02 49th AvenueJuly 23, 2012
Enjoyed working there mostly. The final location of the office was a bit difficult to get used to.
Pros
great benefits, good hours
Cons
dealing with personalities of managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYC Housing Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

NYC Housing Authority Reviews by Location