Nyc Parks Employee Reviews

n/a
Assist patrons (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 31, 2018
slow but busy days
alot of smiling and interacting
supervision
i have learned patience
i have learned to understand people
i have learned to apply
Depends on you.
City Park Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 28, 2018
You clock in, pick up trash, maybe mow and you clock out. It really depends on the type of person you are. If you're more social, you may not mind it at all, if you're not, you still wouldn't mind much, just a bit of feeling left out.
Productive, teaches discipline
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 23, 2018
I enjoyed my time working for the parks department. The job taught me a lot and I made a couple great friends. I’m very grateful for the skills that the parks department taught me.
Pros
Meeting new people, working outdoors
Awesome Staff
Seasonal Gardener (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2017
I loved being able to come to work everyday and know that it was going to be productive and relaxing. Although the work load was heavy, our supervisors made sure that we successfully maintained a stress free work environment.
Great
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 21, 2017
Parks is great but does not have room for career advancement. I would recommend this job to other people as well. Overall a great place to work and there is some overtime.
Productive and fun job
Community Associate (Media Education Coordinator) (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 21, 2017
NYC parks is a wonderful place to work, I personally love working with children it is a great experience. I've learned more about a my community. The hardest part about this job is wanted to do more for the youth.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
healthcare
A great place to work and play!
Guest Customer Service and Security Exp (Current Employee) –  New York, NYCNovember 13, 2017
A great place to work and enjoy the beautiful outdoors. You get paid to workout. The parks is very diverse and the sky is the limit for career growth and Career advancement. There are over 2,500 parks and Recreations centers in New York City! Go and enjoy!
Pros
excercise and you can meet alot of interesting people.
productive day
pop worker (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 7, 2017
keeping bathrooms and locker rooms fresh and clean for the customers everyday. keeping floors dry and clean making sure everything is place ..........
Pros
free membership
Cons
n/a
Honorable position in which I am satisfied with, due to public service and community interaction.
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 2, 2017
I typically come into worksite approaxiametly 8a.m. sharp- 4:30p.m. Tues. until Sat. I am escorted and required by Supervisors to ride along scheduled Parks route stopping at designated sites to Clean/ Maintain conditions of Parks. Job duties include Sweeping, Mopping, Restroom Restoration, Landscaping( As required by Supervisors), and Security.
Pros
Plenty of room for advancement and excellent Benefits package.
cutthroat management
Park & Recreation Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 17, 2017
not a good experience , really micro managing and plenty favoritism and excessive racism. poor and overpaid managers and bosses. not a good experience
Pros
Cons
all
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Playground Associate (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 27, 2017
Great place to work, the hours are relatively great and the job itself is very fun if you stick around. Not really any complaints that I can list once you're a full-time employee.
fun workplace
Seasonal Park Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 26, 2017
Working at parks was a good experience. You get to talk to different types of people from all over the world. I have also meet some people from TV and Movies.
Pros
Learning to deal with people.
Cons
Cleaning up after nasty people
Love working for the parks
Maintenance Associate (seasonal) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2017
I have been working for the Parks department for the pass three months and I love my job and I love what I do and I'm really looking at the long run as far as having a good job for my kids...
parks can be fun
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 24, 2017
working in nyc park can be exiciting and stressful at times.An homeless removal can take a toll on you especially if the person personal affects gets thrown out.
A Typical Day At Work
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2017
The most enjoyable part about the job is that we all get along with each other and help each other out when needed and the most hardest part about the job is staying clean and if yu can't deal with real real bad odors and yu can't deal wit dead rodents then this is not the type of job yu want
A Walk in the Park
Seasonal Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2017
I enjoy working with NYC Parks immensely not only for the opportunity to maintain and improve my administrative skills, but I like working with both the youth and seniors. I find that teaching comes naturally and is mutually beneficial to me as well as the students. I spend a great deal of time troubleshooting and answering question as well as executing the administrative tasks required with maintaining records and tracking student attendance and progress while creating innovative ways to implement and improve the teaching/learning processes surrounding this role.
Pros
Maintaining/organizing the curriculum with technology
Cons
Not enough time in the day to be there for each student fully, I find myself staying later and later.
very nice place to work
CLEANING THE PARK (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJuly 29, 2017
manager very helpful , I love to work in the park gardening cleaning etc....I will love to find same job in any nyc park. Love it.
I learn how to keep the grounds clean and safe for people.
I enjoy this job very much.
Great company to work for if your an outdoor type of person and care about the environment.
Seasonal Park Attendant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2017
A typical work day with parks would be to first navigate around the East side of the park where all the athletes play tennis and park goers have picnics to clean up any garbage left behind from the day before. Then join the park's mobile team to go park to park within the district to do the same and make sure all parks are up to par. Supervisor's are super cool as long as you're being a critical part of the team and representing Parks and Recreation to the fullest of your capability. I don't think there's a hard part of a job when you enjoy what you do.
Pros
Good pay, light work loads, Great supervisors
Cons
short lunch
Great work place with amazing people who really care about their career in Parks.
Seasonal Park Attendant (Current Employee) –  Fresh Meadows, NYJune 29, 2017
This is a first time experience working for the Parks. A typical day at work is real easy going. The supervisors are professional and work orientated. They actually do work with park attendants on the parks up keeping and maintenence. I would say the hardest part of the job is seeing the park in such shambles after bar-b-ques and events. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the results of your work when your team has successfully maintained the park.
Pros
Excellent staff and managing
Cons
This is a seasonal to permanent position
A good place to start a Recreation career
Project Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2017
The department of parks is a good place to begin a career in Recreation and or Nature focused endeavors. You should like being around people and nature, in addition you will be outdoors depending on the position you apply for.
Pros
PROS - being around nature depending on the position
Cons
slow to advancement or career path growth