NYPD Employee Reviews in United States

Love working hard, and I love challenge
Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 13, 2015
I love Mondays, mostly because the day flies by in a flash. On a given day, during the early hours you will find me speaking to the clients, finding out – proactively – what their priorities are for the week, meeting with team for half hour to communicate the clients’ needs and organizing the team schedules around the client’s priorities. I do this on Monday so that the rest of the week is well organized and we can effectively use our team’s time in exceeding client’s expectations and avoid Friday evening surprises. Rest of the week goes in delivering the product(s), updating the status with the client, answering emails and calls from our global teams. My role involves extensive management responsibilities and staying organized is not an option.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
o having to opportunity to grow as a prefesional
A serious work environment with dedicated people engaged in important work
Director, Grants Unit (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2016
A serious work environment with dedicated people engaged in important work. Clear goals and objectives and great teamwork. This is the cutting edge of law enforcement and security technology, within a business-like setting.
Pros
structure and clear work objectives, good benefits, flexible working hours.
Cons
high security environment
Great Job
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2016
This is a career where everyone in your workplace becomes family, good or bad. This career is truly challenging and rewarding. If i had it to do all over again i would not change a thing.
Pros
Great Benefits and pay
Cons
not appreciated
Professional department with room for growth.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 19, 2015
Positive work environment with new opportunities to learn and grow as a team player or individually with an emphasis on taking promotional exams. Heavy communication with fellow officers encouraged although with such a large department there is an attitude of quantity over quality at times. Most officers wanted to make a difference within the chosen communities instructed to protect and serve and that was a great plus for me to be working alongside of them. I enjoyed my time there as it has made a tremendous impact on my life,
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Lack of mentorship.
Nice, busy, strict, fun, and a Good learning environment,
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 26, 2015
good place to work but was not a fit for me, performed a lot of duties while working with the NYPD it was a great learning experience
Pros
job security, union, benefits
Cons
dangerous, long hours, different shifts
Challenge
Squad Sergeant / Brooklyn Child Abuse Squad (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 29, 2016
I found a place within the NYPD that continues to challenge my intellect. Each day poses issues and problems of first impression. What I've learned is that effective law enforcement truly is a team effort. Weaker teammates can create havoc within the community. Mistakes can have devastating consequences. The hardest part of the job, as a supervisor, is to keep those working for me from making these types of monumental errors. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to protect someone innocent from becoming the victim of a terrible crime. Bringing felons (especially those who victimize children) to justice is also personally rewarding. Taking care to protect the rights of the accused also advances law enforcement's profile in civilized society.
Pros
Creativity in conducting investigations
Cons
Red tape and bureaucracy
Training
NYC Auxiliary Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2015
the very best is really all i can say about this department the NYPD is 2nd to none and stands out among the elite law enforcement agencies around the world.
Pros
being a part of the best police department in the world
Cons
salary should be higher
Many Police Officers should've been comedians!
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2015
Aside from the obvious dangers the job entails, my career with the NYPD was rewarding. I've learned something different every day. Although, there were days where I just stood around cracking jokes with my co-workers, WE ALWAYS REMAINED VIGILANT! I now have a vast extended family, of whom I can call on if ever need being. The hardest part of the job for me was saying "so-long" to my friends and co-workers when I retired. endeavoring not to lose contact with any, but as I mature in retirement, it seems we all just go our separate ways. What I enjoyed most about being a Police Officer was that it was a career I really wanted to take on! I wanted to make a difference. Helping people out was something that I did all the time! Assisting people in the capacity of one of New York's Finest, for me, was the most rewarding of all!!
Pros
Rewarding career, excellent benefits, good pay
Cons
negative views from the public, media contortion
wonderfull experience and life changing
Probationary police officer (Former Employee) –  college point, nyOctober 13, 2015
Working for the NYPD was a great experience. Everyday is different. I got to learn more about the task and the responsiblities of a police officer. The most enjoyable part of the job getting hands on training for fire arms and drivers training. The hardest part of the job was the hours.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
work hours are not stabled
Rewarding experience and demanding difficult decisions concerning the publics safety
Lieutenant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2016
The hardest part of the job is to get account of all officers you turned out of roll call. The most enjoyable part was decreasing crime and seeing people less fearful.I managed police officers to do their job in a courteous and professional manner. I. learned to treat officers with respect and in return you get respected. The amount of officers under my management estimated about 90 Police officers including approximately 5 Sergeants I enjoyed working with the Police Department .
a typical work day
School Safety Agent Level III/Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2015
I enjoy working with student of diverse backgrounds. I enjoy working with the parents and staff. I enjoy dealing with the public, I just feel that they should recognized their employees more for the work that we do.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
song help pay for education advancement
repair and maintain telecommunication equipment
Detective (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2015
cleaning, restocking supplies when needed , getting new jobs ,meeting with vendors to help them and set them up so they may complete there task , how to deal with different personality from day today and working with them to get the job done what ever it entails
on the management being around the longest and having the most knowledge of the building i am called upon for my expertise and if i do not have the answer i know where to get it , me and my co workers work closely together on many projects,and share ideas on the best way to complete the job at hand. I cant says any part of my job is difficult. i enjoy making people happy by repairing there problem what ever it is weather it a phone problem , cable tv , computer ,what ever i just glad to know i helped so their happy my boss is happy im happy
Pros
pay is good benefits are good, travel is good to and from
Cons
can not really think of any
Detective Investigator
Detective (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2015
Most satisfying job a person can have along with the most dedicated people of the City of New York. Great pay along with great benefits. Able to move up the ranks with hard work.
Pros
close ties with co workers
Cons
long hours some days
Fast pace environment at times
Principal Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 5, 2015
Ensure all new civilian employees are entered into the NYCAPS system. Resignations, promotions, leaves and terminations are processed. Quarterly reports are calculated correctly. Candidates are interviewed for future vacancies.Time and leave balances are transferred and paid. It is most enjoyable when working with caring people and also the opportunity to meet some amazing people. Hardest part is trying to solve every issue/problem in one day!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Need a break room/lounge area
Never a dull moment, always something going on criminals being arrested, photographed processed and put injail
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10038May 4, 2016
A typical work day for me, was arriving about 7:45am have a cup of coffee then begin my busy day of filing, answering the phones, some data entry, and various task throughout the unit. My most enjoyable part of my jobs was printing criminal mugshots because I loved photography. I learn during that you should always be vigilant of your surroundings.
Pros
Was having all benefits to your advantages, such as health and dental
Cons
The cons was having to work late night hours when your shift/tour was changed.
Able to provide safety for others.
Auxiliary Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 5, 2016
Auxiliary police officers assist local police departments in maintaining order and protecting the safety of a community's residents. Most are volunteers who are concerned with the well-being of their neighbors and their neighborhood. Auxiliary police officers perform non-enforcement and non-hazardous duties. The departments with which they are associated and the chief of police in charge often delineate their specific duties.
Rewarding and fullfiling
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2016
Assigned to the 10th precinct .located in Manhattan south,worked there for 12 years ,4 years working day tours and 8 years of midnight tours doing routine patrol duties.
I joined the evidence collection team in Manhattan south for 8 years ,I was responsible to respond to crime scenes to collect evidence (latent and biological) to aid in the investigation and prosecution of criminal cases. retired from service in 2012.
Pros
Job security
Cons
High risk
Good job with opportunities for advancement, varied work assignments
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2016
I spent close to twenty six years with the NYPD and for the most part it was a rewarding job that offered good pay; opportunities for advancement, varied work assignments, and ample overtime opportunity and plenty of time off. .
Pros
Varied work assignments and opportunity for advancement
Cons
Poor and unresponsive upper management
Exciting and rewarding work place
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2015
Great opportunity to work in a diverse work environment, you can experience something new and exciting everyday. Great benefits and opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Meeting a diverse group of people
Co-workers work together in emergency situations
School Safety Agent (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn NyJuly 13, 2015
My current job as a School Safety Agent is exciting because everyday is something different. We are placed in schools to make sure the environment is safe for teachers and students, as well as vistiors. Its hard to state the hardest part of the job because the aspect of this job is to deal with all situations as best as we could based off of what we were taught in the academy and what we know. Integrity plays a major part of law enforcement.
benefits
Cons
salary

4.2