NYPD

NYPD Employer Reviews

Rewarding and satisfaction fulfilled twenty year career
Police Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 27, 2014
Everyday was different over my twenty year career as a NYC Police Officer. I never had the same day twice, typical days did not exist. I learned how to adapt and how to handle extreme situations with certainty and confidence. As a Police Officer in NYC I worked in many different work environments, sometimes extremely hostile environments which called – more... for very intense concentration and extreme sensitivity. I found supervisors within the department to be fair ,understanding and very willing to help in a difficult situation. I always considered my co-workers to be my family. Without each other we could never perform our jobs with the skill that was needed.The hardest part of my job was not being able to help everyone all the time.The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help a lot of people most of the time. – less
Fast Paced work environment that requires attention to detail.
Police Emergency 911 Operator (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 25, 2014
A typical work day involves handling over 300 telephone calls from the public and from Police Officers responding to emergency situations in the field.
Appropriate action has to be taken to ensure that all calls are processed in accordance with department regulations and that emergency responders are notified and dispatched promptly.
Detailed records – more... have to be made of each call incident. – less
Very easy
School Crossing guard (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 23, 2014
The Crossing Guard Job is very easy and very good pay
I really recommend for young people
Outstanding career
Police Officer, Special Assignment (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: pension, security
Cons: weekends/holidays/shifts
Pension, pension, pension. Job security and prestige. Vacation time off. Benefits for life.
New York's Finest
Auxiliary Police Officer (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: shifts!
great place to start a career if you are looking for a career in law enforcement
enjoyed my time
Police Officer/Detective (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 29, 2014
Pros: good salary, good benefits
I enjoyed my time in the NYPD. The job was very rewarding. I obtained valuable life lessons by having to deal with the many situations that came my way.
excellent great benefits pension
Police Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 15, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: long hours of work stressful career
Excellent career don't no why I left but left because I got tired of the cold weather in New York City. But excellent pay started at $25,977 a year in 1992 after 5 years went to $44,000 per year every year you get a little raise and every five years you get longevity extra raise during September 11, 2001 I made that year $80,000 a year excellent career – more... after 20 years of service you get 50 % percent of pension from the last 5 years of your career salary unlimited sick leave, job security, after retirement of 20 years besides a pension you get $12,000 variable supplement annuity bonus every December 14 for the rest of your life – less
Great Job
Police Officer (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 15, 2014
Enjoyed my time with the NYPD. Retired after 20 years and im looking for a new job.
Could be better
School Safety Officer/Fulltime (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 14, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: pay
Pay needs to match those of employees in other counties nearby. Very dangerous and to many politics.
A good job with pros and cons
Police Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 13, 2014
Twenty years goes by fast....miss it on occasion....provided me with many memories which I cherish.
stable and rewarding work place
Traffic Enforcement Agent Level I (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 12, 2014
Pros: benefits, overtime, pension
Cons: hard to advance, never listen to
directing traffic making sure wjlie doing so pedestrian and vehicles are safe.
learned how to be assertive.
management needs more courtesey training.
made some good friends in this work place.
the hardest part of the job is the management
having a job.
school Safety/ nypd
School Safety (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 6, 2014
Pros: juviniles
Cons: making the proper calls for arrest proceedure
I Have came to this Job with Only me, not knowing what the outcome would be , I learn that with this job you learn to manage and be a team player knowing details and what my title enclines.
Unappreciated for hard working employees who give to the city
Police Dispatcher (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 6, 2014
As any job that deals with the public there are good and bad moments. Although there is extreme stress most of the time this job is exciting, especially when the end results come to saving lives and getting the bad guys.
Very challenging work environment with quite rewards of having a direct imprint on the general safety and security of the general public and locations
New York City Police Detective (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 2, 2014
Pros: direct imprint on society as a whole.
Cons: personal safety was always a concern as it relates to one's personal family life.
There were no typical days at work. Each day presented all new challenges. The learning curve is fast paced, varied and dynamic. The combination of City, State and Federal experience has given me unique inter-personal skills, the ability to manage others, a specialized knowledge of security and law, plus achievements in areas of patrol procedures, undercover – more... and surveillance operations, criminal investigations and the management of HIDTA operations systems. The most challenging part of the job was gaining the ability to not personalize any situation. The most enjoyable part of the job was concluding with the knowledge that despite the outcome, your efforts has made society and the general public's overall environment better. – less
Professional work environment
School Safety Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 29, 2014
Provided appropriate training to manage job requirements.
A profession made only for people who thrive adrenaline
Police Officer (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 29, 2014
Pros: fight for what is right
Cons: alot of people dislike you because of the job description
There is always something different going on. No two days were alike. I had extensive and the best training in tactics and how to communicate with people. The hardest part of the job is when children are involved. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people solve their dilemmas.
Enjoyed the comradely and the excitement.
Police Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 9, 2014
Pros: very rewarding and exciting.
Cons: i was laid off.
Each day was different you never knew what was going to happen. The supervisors that were on patrol with you were supportive in any way possible, The hardest thing was that I was laid off due to budget cuts.
What a great experience!
Detective Investigator/Crime Analyst (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 5, 2014
Enjoyed most of the twenty years with ease of mind. Was able to advance to Detective during a very generous work ethic. Would do things differently if I had the chance to do it over again.
Greatest job ever
Detective Investigator Command - SID (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 5, 2014
Pros: everything
This was my life time dream & job, but I had to take an early retirement due to my mother being diagnosis with cancer for the first time.
Employment at the NYPD
Custodian-ground keeper (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 1, 2014
Pros: seniority within the department
Cons: lack of manpower, city is not hiring
I have been employed with the NYPD for the past 12 years. I am responsible for maintaining and waxing floors.

About NYPD

There has never been a better time to join the NYPD. The New York City Police Department leads the nation with the most dramatic – Read more