NYPD

NYPD Employee Reviews

Extremely exciting and fast past
Police Communication Technician and Dispatcher (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: health benefits, retirement and advancement
Cons: n/a
Constant communication with either police officer or the public via radio frequency or 911 calls. Learn the ability to multi task in emergencies and help the public when under stress. Management and co-workers were extremely helpful and provided constant assistance. The hardest part of the job is learning that a life was taken. Enjoyed most was knowing I assisted someone when in distress.
Public Relations
NYPD Traffic Enforcement Agent (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: working under your own supervision
Cons: dealng with disgruntle customers
Working with the city to promote productivity. Enforcing parking and moving violations.
Educational and Motivating Environment
PR Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 15, 2015
My daily duties included an overall scan of all news media outlets, on anything that was related or mentioned about the institution; scheduling appointments for media personnel; attending several media events; assisting in multiple small projects. During my time at the NYPD, I learned the value of having a positing work environment, where every one worked with each other to make sure the job is done perfectly. I met and was inspired by everyone I met in this office, and I hope one day to be in a work environment similar to theirs.
productive and fun workplace
Auxiliary Police Officer (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 10, 2015
great place to work with, they are my 2nd family. great people to bea around.
Detective Investigator
Detective, DEA (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 4, 2015
Coordinated case management development for analytical searches, surveillance and diverse investigative techniques by drafting reports which result in long and short term administrative
responsibilities.
Productive Environment, Great Advancement
Police Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: something different every day
Cons: walking a foot post as a rookie.
My typical day at work, Roll Call,learning of any ongoing conditions in the precinct. Either being assigned to foot patrol, or a sector in a patrol car. Patrolling assigned area to ensure public safety, enforce traffic rules, deter crime. Dealing with people of all ethnic backrounds, learning how to handle a multitude of situations ,and staying impartial are all things dealt with on a daily basis. My time with the New York City Police Department, was a great lerning experience.
excellent career
Detective Investigator (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: benefits and retirement
Great place to work and retire. Benefits are great along with their retirement. Plenty of opportunities for advancemement and promotions.
Retired Detective
Detective (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 30, 2014
The New York City Police Department offers wonderful training and opportunities for growth. Each experience is challenging and unique.
great work place
Auxiliary Police Officer (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYDecember 29, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: no insurance
i love working for the NYPD, even if it's aa volunteer program i love working with the finest in NY
Productive workplace
Senior Police Administrative Aide (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 9, 2014
A typical work day would be getting to work on time. Interacting with the public and employees. Assisting with department mail distribution and miscellaneous administrative duties. Answering incoming calls and routed them to the appropriate city agency. Managed day to day roll call within department unit. Performed clerical and data entry duties. Responsible for filing department records. Generated reports, schedules and various correspondences as requested. Maintained office supplies and ensured office equipment operated efficiently.
Excellent place to work C. P.R.
Enforcement Officer/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 8, 2014
Pros: work with the public
Cons: standing too long
Excellent ,exciting and everyday learning experience . I chose to leave because I wanted tto worked with the undeserved.
dynamic work environment
police officer (Former Employee), Bronx, NYDecember 7, 2014
i would say that the NYPD is one of the most challenging professions that any person can commit to. during my time with the dept I was afforded every courtesy and advantage for advancement and growth by my fellow officers and supervision and I felt as though we were part of a family.
Great work environment with experiences personnel
Consultant/Team Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 7, 2014
NYPD officials offer a wealth of knowledge if you're willing to learn. One of the best organizations in NYC if you're thinking about pursuing a career in law, government, or consulting. Great learders who build, great leaders. I would recommend going on the web sit and seeing what available positions are open to civilians.
evidence
Evidence and property control specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 19, 2014
Assigned to patrol a 46 building complex consisting of a population of about 17,000
performed arrest for felony and misdemeanor crimes issued summons for violation and quality of
life issues worked in specialized units such as K-9 and detective units investigated crimes which
lead to arrest. Prepared proper paperwork in regards to investigations and arrest . Received
numerous awards and citations for good work conduct.
Long Hours Low Pay
POLICE COMMUNICATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 10, 2014
Lots over time available and good benefits. You have no life after you start working, 16 hour shifts are a normal occurrence and breaks are short.
Excellent Department
Police Officer (Current Employee), Bronx, NYNovember 10, 2014
Pros: safer communities, great benefits, decent salary, holiday pay, uniform allowance, unlimited sick days
Cons: restricted time with family, difficult hours, working holidays, stressful situations
There is no typical day at work while working in law enforcement. A day could be as simple as safeguarding a prisoner in the hospital, to routine patrol, to executing a warrant. I've learned how to handle myself professionally and calmly in what would be considered a highly stressful situation. I've learned how to communicate and work with various supervisors at different ranks with different responsibilities while working with the public to serve everyone's needs appropriately. Every officer I have had the pleasure of serving with has been a unique individual but all with positive traits and attitudes. The hardest part of my job is saying goodbye to my family when I leave for work and not knowing if I will return at the end of my scheduled tour. The best part of my job is knowing I have made a positive difference in someones life, whether it was resuscitating a child who could not breathe, or arresting an abusive boyfriend, or helping someone escape a pinned vehicle.
Eye Opener
School Safety Agent (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 5, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Working for the NYPD/SSDU was a great experience, a lot of people just look at it as being just a paycheck, but when I saw how many young life's i was able to help that was just priceless. All management isn't perfect but when you see the challenges they are faced with on a daily basics you get to understand the reason for their action(s) I would have to say the hardest part of the job was arresting a child when nothing else seems to help. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the amount of kids you help or saved just in a day.
Continuous dispatching of emergency calls
Police Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 4, 2014
Pros: great pay and great medical benefits
There are no typical days in the NYPD. Jobs are not routine due to the fact that no two jobs will ever be the same, perhaps similar but not the same. Domestic family calls can consist of a single mother with one or more children dealing with missing partner or abusive spouse with children varying in age or mental capacity. The days and weeks don't end after the shift is over, more than often paperwork is generated regarding emergency calls that might deal with a mentally handicapped person missing or a person found deceased either in their home or some vacant lot which may be natural or suspicious for a homicide case.
productive
HOUSING BUREAU POLICE CADET (Current Employee), Bronx, NYNovember 4, 2014
great place to advance. its a very strict work environment since is a para-military organization.
Police Detective (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 4, 2014
Pros: life experience, job security
Cons: hours
It is said that working for the NYPD is like having a front row seat to the greatest show on earth. To me it was being part of the show, I met some of the most intelligent, compassionate hard working people in the world. I valued all the instruction and experience offered to me through this job. That will stay with me forever.
Industry