NYPD Employee Reviews

It is a v
Auxiliary Officer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 12, 2017
Assisted Police Department servicing residential and commercial areas.
Provided volunteer service to community festivals, parades, concerts, street fairs, park patrols.
Performed uniformed foot security at subway entrances and token booth areas.
Supported Police Department with crime prevention activities.
Assisted in crowd and traffic control.
Police
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2017
I was a Police Sergeant in the New York City Police Department, I was in charge of running all my Police Officers to there duties and roll call.
Enjoyed this job!!!
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 11, 2017
A typical work day varied depending on the type of calls that cam in through 911 dispatch. I learned effective problem solving tools and conflict resolution. The work environment overall was fast paced and exciting. Supervisors were helpful and supportive. The hardest part of the job was the scheduling aspect. At any time, you could be required to stay late for excessive amount of time. Lots of overtime when a disaster strikes the city.
Pros
Excellent benefits and job security
Cons
Long hours on foot patrol.
Witness the challenges of balancing desire to advance with enjoying what you do
Zone Captain, Special Victims Division (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2017
The NYPD creates a culture where advancement has little to do with ability of. Sometimes it is hard to shine bright enough to be seen.
Productive learing experience
Police Commincation Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 8, 2017
Very informative job. You get to learn the penal codes and procedures of NYPD. The workplace culture was very positive. The hardest part of the job is not to get to personal with the public.I found the most enjoyable part is helping the public.
Pros
Very informative learning experience
Cons
Very stressful job.
N/a
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2017
It was the best job I have ever had. It was a dream came through me. People are people. I had some pretty good coworkers. My bosses were very nice to me. I am so happy that I had this job.
Police Officer
POLICE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  BklynFebruary 2, 2017
A police officer puts their life on the job every day. They help, assist, protect, and serve the public. I enjoyed my time with the department, and spent 21yrs of my life doing it.
Great work experience using great technologies.
Java/ J2ee Developer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2017
At NYPD working as application developer I learned as much as I contribute into the development. A huge plus was I advanced on overcoming the development challenges as it's always such a short time we have for any enhancement on products.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement for civilian employees. Office environment and poor interior
Its a pizza joint in corona, ca
Pizza Chef/Busser (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAJanuary 25, 2017
The best pizza in the area that was made with care. The boss was hard on all of his employees but for good reason, he ran a great business and ended up selling it to retire
Exciting but dangerous
Auxiliary Officer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 24, 2017
This job opened my eyes to the evil people hold within them. I've never seen such bad behavior until I started patrolling the street as a Auxiliary officer. I served and protected the week and put down the bad. kept the streets clean and enforced the law the best tat I could.
Pros
Gained experience
Cons
No fire arm.

Want to know more about NYPD?

Ask a question
Daily interaction
School Safety Agent (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2017
A typical day at work there is a lot of interaction with many different types of people. The day is continuously spontaneous, because things can happen at any moment and it is very unpredictable. I learn how to communicate with different types of people. I like to make sure that I say well organized to maintain order. It is typical a friendly environment and the children and staff are pleasant. The most difficult part may be having to disable a conflict between people or students, that can results in some form of law enforcement. The most enjoyable part of my job is the smiles on the children face when they come into school and say good morning and when some students thank me for securing there school.
Pros
Plenty Overtime
Cons
Short lunches
a typical day at work
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 19, 2017
A typical day a work consists of writing summons in lieu of arrests which I loved, arresting people that broke the law or that had a warrant, paper work, giving directions, helping people through hard situations such as altercations with another person.
Pros
parking pass, metro card, health care
Cons
unreasonable over time, no flexibility in schedules
great job if its your passion
Agent (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2017
The work load is depends on which position you have in the dept. I have learn how to deal with situations, people, company rules and management. My Co- workers are great bunch of people where that is the part that gets me through my long days.
A voluntary job
Under-age Undercover Investigation Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2017
Well with opportunity, it really wasn't a job it was voluntary. I had to help the Nypd officers track down those who were doing selling illegal items to under age and individuals.
overall good
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2017
it is a pleasant job. continue to learn to work with people. and everyday is different, and you learn how to observe my enironment
best job I ever had
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2017
route patrol protecting the public. Met people from different culture and backgrounds. the job could very quickly become extremely dangerous in a matter of seconds
Pros
everthing
Cons
dangerous
Lieutenant
Lieutenant, Commanding Officer (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYJanuary 2, 2017
I loved my job as a Police Officer, it was the most interesting and exciting job you can ever have or want . I enjoyed my daily interactions with the citizens of New York City as well as the fine Men and Women of the NYPD .I was Proud to have been a member and a leader in the NYPD.
Pros
No day is the same on the job, retire early, high degree of job satisfaction, Good camaraderie, many different career paths
Cons
dangerous job, stress, Work schedules, balancing work and private life
N/a
Traffic Enforcement Agent level 2 (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 31, 2016
It's a great job for job security and if your looking to begin a career with law enforcement then it's also good I would recommend it to people to apply
Great career for Uniform Personnel, Lacking opportunity for Civilian Personnel
Senior Police Administrative Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 8, 2016
The New York City Police Department is an excellent employer for uniformed personnel. For Civilian employees, the possibility of promotion is available with the successful passing of Civil Service exams every four years. It can then take up to (2) two years to establish a certified Civil service list then up to an additional (4) four years for actual promotion. Although the benefits are outstanding, the possibility of career growth is extremely limited for Civilian titles.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Department is segregated by titles with limited opportunity of advancement for civilian employees.
good
Traffic Enforcement Training (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2016
very intense training more military style. overall it was exciting and interesting being that this was my first experience with being a traffic officer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NYPD. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2