NYPD

NYPD Employee Reviews

dynamic work environment
police officer (Former Employee), Bronx, NYDecember 7, 2014
i would say that the NYPD is one of the most challenging professions that any person can commit to. during my time with the dept I was afforded every courtesy and advantage for advancement and growth by my fellow officers and supervision and I felt as though we were part of a family.
Great work environment with experiences personnel
Consultant/Team Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 7, 2014
NYPD officials offer a wealth of knowledge if you're willing to learn. One of the best organizations in NYC if you're thinking about pursuing a career in law, government, or consulting. Great learders who build, great leaders. I would recommend going on the web sit and seeing what available positions are open to civilians.
evidence
Evidence and property control specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 19, 2014
Assigned to patrol a 46 building complex consisting of a population of about 17,000
performed arrest for felony and misdemeanor crimes issued summons for violation and quality of
life issues worked in specialized units such as K-9 and detective units investigated crimes which
lead to arrest. Prepared proper paperwork in regards to investigations and arrest . Received
numerous awards and citations for good work conduct.
Long Hours Low Pay
POLICE COMMUNICATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 10, 2014
Lots over time available and good benefits. You have no life after you start working, 16 hour shifts are a normal occurrence and breaks are short.
Excellent Department
Police Officer (Current Employee), Bronx, NYNovember 10, 2014
Pros: safer communities, great benefits, decent salary, holiday pay, uniform allowance, unlimited sick days
Cons: restricted time with family, difficult hours, working holidays, stressful situations
There is no typical day at work while working in law enforcement. A day could be as simple as safeguarding a prisoner in the hospital, to routine patrol, to executing a warrant. I've learned how to handle myself professionally and calmly in what would be considered a highly stressful situation. I've learned how to communicate and work with various supervisors at different ranks with different responsibilities while working with the public to serve everyone's needs appropriately. Every officer I have had the pleasure of serving with has been a unique individual but all with positive traits and attitudes. The hardest part of my job is saying goodbye to my family when I leave for work and not knowing if I will return at the end of my scheduled tour. The best part of my job is knowing I have made a positive difference in someones life, whether it was resuscitating a child who could not breathe, or arresting an abusive boyfriend, or helping someone escape a pinned vehicle.
Eye Opener
School Safety Agent (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 5, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Working for the NYPD/SSDU was a great experience, a lot of people just look at it as being just a paycheck, but when I saw how many young life's i was able to help that was just priceless. All management isn't perfect but when you see the challenges they are faced with on a daily basics you get to understand the reason for their action(s) I would have to say the hardest part of the job was arresting a child when nothing else seems to help. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the amount of kids you help or saved just in a day.
Continuous dispatching of emergency calls
Police Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 4, 2014
Pros: great pay and great medical benefits
There are no typical days in the NYPD. Jobs are not routine due to the fact that no two jobs will ever be the same, perhaps similar but not the same. Domestic family calls can consist of a single mother with one or more children dealing with missing partner or abusive spouse with children varying in age or mental capacity. The days and weeks don't end after the shift is over, more than often paperwork is generated regarding emergency calls that might deal with a mentally handicapped person missing or a person found deceased either in their home or some vacant lot which may be natural or suspicious for a homicide case.
productive
HOUSING BUREAU POLICE CADET (Current Employee), Bronx, NYNovember 4, 2014
great place to advance. its a very strict work environment since is a para-military organization.
Police Detective (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 4, 2014
Pros: life experience, job security
Cons: hours
It is said that working for the NYPD is like having a front row seat to the greatest show on earth. To me it was being part of the show, I met some of the most intelligent, compassionate hard working people in the world. I valued all the instruction and experience offered to me through this job. That will stay with me forever.
Great people, hard work, but rewarding
Police Administrative Aide (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 30, 2014
Pros: great productive job
Cons: no real room for advancement as a civilian member
This job has given me value experience in team work. The management is very fair and are there to assist you in any way possible. The job is very detailed oriented, but the best part of the job for me is helping people.
A great law enforcement organization in a wonderful city
115th Detective Squad (Former Employee), Jackson Heights, New YorkOctober 27, 2014
A Detective Squad Commander with a passion for investigating difficult cases and working with dedicated people.
Productive and busy work enviroment.
Police Communication Technician (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 26, 2014
A typical day as an NYPD Communications Tech- was absolutely busy. Everyday was different, exciting, challenging yet rewarding.

While the duty of the position may seem overwhelming, it is comforting knowing you were able to provide assistance to those in your city.
staying active and keeping criminals off the streets
Detective Investigator (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 25, 2014
Pros: pay and career advancement after 5 years becomes excellent. excellent health benefits
Cons: news media, nepotisim, everchanging policies, different hours everyday
I feel the nypd speaks volumes all by its self, 30,000 employees of all ranks, with various opportunities and an excellent training program that is tops in the world. policing such a diverse city is an entertaining challenge and gaining the respect of your peers is even a bigger challenge.
Great opportunity to advance and change work assignments.
Detective (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 20, 2014
Pros: a good environment to help people.
Cons: sometimes you work long hours, on your feet in all types of weather.
This is a great agency to be a part of, there is a strong sense of accomplishment in this type of work, especially when you can save a life. You have to lead by example, be disciplined and enjoy public service. Overall, there is a great opportunity for career advancement, and the friends and people that you meet and the bonds that are formed will last a life time.
Maintenance/ Internship (Current Employee), Bronx, NYOctober 15, 2014
This is currently an intership program. I enjoy working with the police department
easy
Traffic Agent (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 14, 2014
the hardest part is getting to work, thats how easy the job is. co workers make it a fun environment. you do have to deal with the public n most of the time they hate you because you issue summons to them but some of them understand we are just doing our job. all in all, the job isnt hard and helps me provide for my family.
Strict and Great environment with kids
School Safety Officer (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 13, 2014
Pros: greta job to learn from
It starts with morning entry greeting the children and their parents making sure kids get in school safely. I learned how to deal with parents that were irate because of something that happened with either their child and the teacher or another student.You work with different people and different attitudes. The hardest part is when a child has a fight and they commited a crime inside the school. I like the uniform and also dealing with the children to have them understand why school is important
Actively envolved with NYPD NOC operations and Netorking equipment
Computer Specialist - Network Operations Engineer (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 12, 2014
Configure, install, monitor and maintain Cisco routers and switches along with any firewall changes required. Answer, evaluate and troubleshoot daily outages and problems experienced at the NYPD commands and sites responsible for keeping NYC and Boroughs Operational.
fun place to work
Police Officer (Former Employee), Bronx, NYOctober 9, 2014
Pros: limited time off
Cons: great retirement
serving the public,meet good friends learn new things
over all an idea career to lean towards
City Job
Traffic Enforcement Agent (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 8, 2014
A lot of walking. Have to have a thick skin to deal with this job. Issuing summonses every day no matter the weather and regardless if there maybe be an altercation.
Industry